The Deserted Beach

Kyle Aarons

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Talarc fire at the gnolls with a cantrip, use ray of frost! Lets burn their asses!" Elan'fal grins at Talarc and the other kids and then proceeds to fire his own firebolt at the most visible non-covered Gnoll.

Action: Firebolt cantrip

"I can see in the dark so maybe I can guide you that cannot. Eghas non-covered gnoll 12 o'clock from you 45 degrees up. Quelten Ten o'clock from your location 60 degrees up." He tells them in their common tongue so that the others don't understand them and then turns to Abram and speaks in Elvish. "From where you are, to your left, raise your hand to above your head and fire you should hit something."

*** GM Note***

I did miss the first firebolt from Elan'fal, but I rolled a 4... so it hits the rocks well below the Gnoll

*** End Note ***

Innil, your arrow shatters on the rocks just to the left of the Gnoll

Those that see the bolt hit Eghas see him mutter and a moment later bright yellowish-blue flames erupt around the Gnoll who shot him. It screams as it reloads and aims back at Eghas.

Abram, you reload and fire again, but the cover these creatures have is pretty good. Once gain your bolt deflects off rocks.

Vorador slides into the open as a slight smirk appears on his face. He unleashes one of his crimson eldritch blasts and it strikes the Gnoll aiming at Eghas. Between the flames of the hellish rebuke and the Eldrich blast, the Gnoll falls and hits the ground not far from Reld who moves up and takes it's head off with a single downward swipe of his battleaxe.

Quelton, you use your link with Mithras to improve your aim and the well lit Gnoll suddenly finds the good cover it has is not nearly enough. Your arrow sinks in deep. It looks a bit shocked as it yips in pain and send a bolt down on Reld who is the easy target. But the armor and spell the boy has on makes him very difficult to hit. the arrow bounces off the shield and he shouts up in Goblin, "My dead brother can shoot straighter than you, and he's dead!" He pauses and adds, "As you soon will be!"

Gothan sends up an acid splash and misses by a wide margin, flowed up by Talarc who tires a ray of frost which hits rocks way down from the Gnoll he was aiming at.

Rienlor keeps himself totally behind some rocks as he casts light on a crossbow bolt and gets ready to fire to add more light up on the rocks but those of you who see him can see his hands are shaking

D'Narenth you move in on the Kobalds who stare at you in terror. You move on the closest one and hit with both your battle axe and your short sword. while not outright killing it, you leave it deeply gashed and wobbling. The other manages to pull out a dagger and fling it at you, but it didn't even come close. It goes over your shoulder and falls somewhere in the woods below.

Zem you go prone and send up another mockery at the Gnoll Quelten shot. It all but ignores your spell.

The Gnoll at the top of the rocks shouts out in Gnoll, "Fall back, too many casters!" and sends a fire bolt of its own down at Reld. It his and does heavy damage. Reld lets out a stream of cuss words in common as he moves up to the rocks and puts his shield on his back, "That hurt! You best hope someone else kills you before I get to you!" 

With the spell casting Gnoll now visible, Elan'fal returns the favor hitting with a firebolt of his own. It doesn't do much damage but it sure gets a scream out of the Gnoll.

Zemzelett crawls over to the trembling cleric initiate. It was plain to see that the boy was trying hard not to panic, and could definitely use some support.  Upon reaching Reinlor, the charismatic half elf begins to encourage him in an even, confident, yet soothing tone. "Listen to me, Reinlor. You can do this. This is what you've trained for. See that gnoll up there, the one that's casted a firebolt? I want you to take careful aim with that bolt you enchanted. Yeah, that's it. You're doing very well! Just a bit lower, so you can hit it in the unmentionables.  That's perfect!  Go on, let it go!"

All the while the bard has been working his magic into his words, to increase the boy's confidence and maybe boost his aim a little bit more.

Move: Crawl over to Reinlor.
Action: Help Reinlor in gaining advantage on next attack against spellcasting gnoll.
Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration on Reinlor's attack roll.

Elan'fal sees Reld getting hit and fires another firebolt cantrip at the Gnoll that hit him. "Everyone unless Eghas orders otherwise fire at the Gnolls firing at Reld, cover him, but watch it, they have the advantage of the higher ground lets not give them any easy targets!" He says to the kids and innil.

Action: Firebolt cantrip at Gnoll that shot Reld.

Having severely disabled the first Kobald, D'Narenth attacks the other being, making sure to not turn his back on the first Kobald, knowing that while down, the first is not out and could still possibly attack him.

D'Narenth knows that by yelling, his position is now probably known to the Gnolls. He hopes to now draw some of their attention away from the group below, to himself. A diversion to their flank, that he hopes will aid the others to cut them down. Hopefully before he, himself gets swarmed.

Abram fires his crossbow at a gnoll that has the least amount of cover then tosses his bow across his back let's out a blood curdling battle cry draws his swords and races toward their position as he reaches the big dumb kid standing taking all the hits he yells in gnoll "bet I can kill more than you".

**** Out of Context ****

Wow, I put one spell caster in against the group and a have a flashback to a Star Wars movie- "Concentrate all fire on that star destroyer!" ( on in this case, spell caster)

**** With that thought out of the way I go back to the game ****

Elan'fal, you once again hit rocks as the Gnoll gets behind better cover. he same rock get hit by an Eldrich Blast from Eghas,  As this happens Vorador points and mutters "Baruel, give me the weakness of the spell thrower."

Quelton, you are surprised at how nimble the spell caster is as he easily avoids your sacred flame.

Innil, you target the one Quelten hit and put a second arrow into it as it tries to fall back. It snarls and sends a bolt back at you and it hits pretty hard as you take 8 points of damage.

Back behind Innil, Zem calms Rienlor and with Zem's guidance, the youngster sinks a bolt into the fleeing Gnoll. The Gnoll shows some serious toughness as it continues to move with two arrows and a bolt in it. But it is now very well lit, since the bolt Rienlor shot it with has his light spell on it.

Abram you fire another bolt and you could swear a rock jumped in the way as you miss by the narrowest of margins.  You move up and start climing behind Reld who is cussing like some sort of pirate who has been at sea for way too long. Even though the young man has on armor he is out climbing you. However, He stoops suddenly as he gets just over half way up and you all hear some growls and barking And three wild looking doogs with hackles up all pounce on him the second he get up to the ledge. Above, the spell casting Gnoll makes some giggling parking sounds as it shouts out, "Nib, Reg, Der, get 'em!"

Reld spins out of the way and puts his back up against the rocks and shouts out, "Go get the bastard! These mutts are mine!"

Only about 45 feet away, D'Narenth Steps up on the second Kobald and misses with the short sword but hits with the battleaxe. It steps up with a spiked club and hits for six points. This seems to give the second Koblad some hope. It pulls a dagger and tries to stab but the attack glances off the armor. 

Talarc lets another ray of frost go at the fleeing spell caster and hits it dead center in the back. I lets out a yelp and it is slowed and it turns back, looking super pissed off but has no idea who just nailed him. It strikes out at the first person it sees, which happens to be Elan'fal. A gross looking puke gree ray blasts out of the gnool's outstretched fingertips and makes a sound reminding you all of a glop of mud being thrown against a wall. Elan'fal you suddenly feel real sick as you take 11 points of poison damage and you are at a disadvantage (roll twice and take lower of two) on your next two attacks or saves.

Abram sees the dogs attack The Big Kid and has no idea what the kid says but it looks like he has the dogs under control so He races past and tries to close the distance to the gnolls to take them on with his swords. He shouts back in Elvish. "Your Sitting ducks down there."

"Good job! See what you can do when you put your mind to it?" Zemzelett praises Reinlor. "That was a great shot!  You sure you're not a ranger?  I don't see how any of us could have done any better!"  Then turning to the other boys (to the extent that a prone person can turn) he tells them, "Now, boys, see that gnoll Reinlor shot like an expert marksman over there?  He's almost done for.  Get him real good, okay? You can do it!"

As the half-elf turns to face the gnolls again, a wave of anger courses through his face as he sees both his Elven kin injured by the dog things - that Sorcerer was looking a little wobbly on his feet. Quickly scanning the battlefield, he is incensed to see Barett just standing there.  Why was the bossy cleric not doing anything?  If he isn't going to shoot or charge them, the least he can do is to illuminate the gnolls with his Faerie Fire!  Or maybe heal the wounded.

"What are you standing there for, Barett?  Do something!  Anything!!!  Elan'fal and Innil are hurt!"  

There is another person missing.  Where was that dragonborn?  Zem could bet his last griffin that the creature was in league with these gnolls - that's probably why he lured them here, and just abandoned them.  Going after gnolls, his ass.  He probably just wanted to have a deliciious Zem sandwich without having to fight for it, that's what he's up to!  The half elf doesn't trust that toothy thing, not one bit!

Focusing his anger and calling his force to the fore, he yells at Reld and the human to vacate the shimmering area his area-of-effect spell was going to land on.  With his hands touching the viol on his back, the half-elf mutters in Elvish:

Your thoughts unwind, your mind is fogged.
Your eyes grow heavy, loathsome dog.
Drop like a rock, fall to the ground.
Rest now in slumber, make no sound!

If it works, and Zem fervently prays to Serrif that it would, the human warriors would be able to dispatch the helpless gnolls with ease.  Maybe even capture one and interrogate it.

Action: After the boys shoot at it, cast Sleep on the Spellcaster, Nib, Reg, and Der, without hitting Reld, Abram, or Quelten.  If this is not possible, focus on spellcaster but try to hit as many gnolls as possible, without affecting allies.  If the boys already killed it, take out as many gnolls as possible without hitting allies.

Quelten looks at the cliff and sighs.  He hadn't thought it all that scalable, but if his allies were pulling it off obviously it didn't require the rope and pitons he'd brought with him.  {{ OOC: I thought these were fairly serious cliffs?  Can we really get away with climbing that kind of thing in the middle of a fight? }}  Leaving his bow and pack with the horse, places a single healing hand on Elan'Fal {{cure wounds}} before moving to scale the cliff.

{{ Note:  In my head, I have Quelten near the center of the group.  Not sure if he's close enough to actually touch Elan'Fal before taking his move, so...  what may be happening here is move to Elan'Fal, heal, then move to the cliffs on my next turn. }}

Elan'fal screams more in anger than in pain and crawls behind the rock for cover as he frantically searches his backpack for the vial of antitoxin. Pulls it out and has Talarc feed to hium as much as needed to remove the poison from his system.

"That's it, now I am royally angry. Talarc, good job on hitting that Gnoll, now aid me in removing from existence that fucker that got me!" He says and coming out from cover he unleashes an acid splash on the Gnoll that hit him. Then moves behind Abram's horse for better cover. "Follow me!" He says to Zem and the five boys. "We must reach that vertical cliff....we're sitting ducks here."

Action: acid splash on Gnoll that hit Elan'fal.

Move: To behind Abram's horse with final move under cliff.

Zemzelett hears the Elf's instructions, but merely flashes him a cheeky grin without moving at all. He likes it here just fine, behind almost full cover. The fact that he was lying flat on the ground made him a very small target indeed. Why, the only major threat to his well-being was if some suicidal gnoll were to charge him and cut him up with a sword, or if some spellcaster were to wallop him with something nasty. And Zemzelett doubts that spellcaster would be on his feet for longer...

As the human cleric trainee makes a motion to move, the half-elf gently tugs at Reinlor's pant leg. "Stay. You don't have shoes - run over there and those rocks will cut up your feet for sure."

Ok, getting frustrated with the hotel connection. this is my third try at typing up this post, so bear with me and ignore any misspellings because I am going to type this out as fast as I can.

Eghas, you miss and you miss super bad. you don't hit anything, not even rocks with your blue-yellow eldritch blast. As a matter of fact it is so bad one of the five boys you all "rescued" whispers loud enough for yo and thoe close to you to hear, "Ah, are there some flying something attacking us we can't see or something?" tis causes a couple of the other kids to look around. scanning the sky

Abram, you move past the young man and up to the top of the pass 45 feet above the narrow gap through the rocks. you note the youngster has put his back to the rocks so the mutts cant get behind him but all three are trying to get at him. As you get up to the top you encounter tow other enemies, Goblings. one charges you and barely misses with a mace while the other throws a dagger at you that sails into the darkness. they both have glazed over looks in their eyes and do not appear to be totally cognoscente of what they are doing.

Below Abram, Reld pulls has battle Axe and slashes at one of the wild dogs. You all hear a screaming yelp and those down in the pass see the carcass as it gets punted off the ledge. when it hits the ground it looks like it has been nearly cut in half.

Quelten you have to catch up to Elan'fal to touch his shoulder so you can cast a heal on him, which heals him for 8 points of damage.

Elan'fall you manage to make it into some cover and down the anti-toxin. While it might be the worst thing you have ever tasted and will certainly make your next meal less than palatable, it does the job and you will be able to act normally next round.

Innil, you let loose with a firebolt into the back of the fleeing Gnoll and do even more damage. but it still does not fall. You all realize this is quite possibly the toughest creature you have ever faced!

Vorador once again uses his one two combination of True Strike and red-black Eldrich blast to score a nasty hit, this time on the spell caster, It turns sharply to the side from the impact and wobbles but manages to cast a darkness spell. his obscures it from even those with dark vision as a bubble of darkness 20' in diameter springs up from where you last saw him. 

D'Narenth I am going to assume you continue to press the attack on he kobalds going after the one who is least damaged. You hit with both your short sword and battle axe, dropping him and leaving his badly injured compatriot to face you alone. it launches at you and nicks you for 2 more points of damage.

three of the boys fire at the one Gnoll that can be seen but none come close this time.

On the other hand the fleeing gnoll lobs a flask down on you all. Zem and three of the boys all take 3 points of cold splash damage as the flask shatteres and sends out shards glowing blue ice crystals. Zem, you cast sleep into the middle of the darkness and those up on the hill all hear n Gnoll, "not fair!" and something inside the darkness hit the ground and start snoring

The gnoll threw something nasty at him and -- Oh the pain!  The excruciating pain!  Zemzelett was going to die for sure!  He has sustained a mortal wound, and has mere moments of consciousness left.  There were so many things he was going to do, so many things he had yet to see.  Oh, for another chance to see his parents, but alas, such a reunion was no longer possible.  He could only hope that his companions bring his remains back to Old Port so his parents had something to bury.

Then Zemzelett opened his eyes and realized he was still breathing.  The pain, though considerable, was no more painful than a nasty burn, which the curious half-elf had sustained on occasion.  But then, it was so fun to play with the fire-eater's equipment!

He can't stay here, those glowing blue crystals may not be good for his health.  Nor the boys for that matter.

"This can't be good.  We gotta get out of here, guys.  But before that, can you light this up for me, Reinlor?  That's a good lad!"  Zemzelett stands up, takes out a crossbow bolt, and holds it close to the cleric-in-training.

After the bolt is enchanted, the half-elf motions to the other boys to get out of the crystal shards, but to watch their steps.  Gingerly, he loads the glowing crossbow bolt into the barrel, fires it at the nearest foe he can see, and then moves back to his original location.

Move A: Stand up (costs half movement)
Action: Crossbow vs. closest visible enemy in range
Move B: After firing, move back into original position