The Deserted Beach

Kyle Aarons

The five boys exchange glances, and you can tell they all want to say something but none of them speak. Instead they slide back from Quelten and once agian eye the equipment.

Vorador stands, moves over to the pile of gear, "Guys, whatever you are thinking, let's drop it and get you all equipped. You all need gear and sitting here is getting us no where and qucikly. By the way, who in the hell turned up the heat. Man, it is hot and humid here!" he stops short, pulls up his hand and points. "Barret, watch your side there is a silvery scaly thing eyeing you and it has lots of teeth!!!!!"

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon hearing the call to arms, Zemzelett hurriedly goes back to shore, back to his clothes and equipment where he left them. Haphazardly strapping on his armor and taking out his crossbow, he cranes his neck to get a good look at where that "silvery scaly thing with lots of teeth" is lurking.

Perception Check: Where you at?

Knowledge Check: What are you?

((OOC: Sigh...all the fun happens while I sleep :P So I need to catch up)

Elan'fal listens to the kids talk after returning from practicing with his new apprentice. The thought of a traitor in House Beurden is unpleasant to him but also strangely satisfying. "Maybe young Quelten now will grow up some and cut it down a notch." He thinks to himself.

"OY! Shut up! Zem, no the actions of a family do not sin all members of it, if they have not been taken or in fact known prior or willingly and I'm sure that if we knew all of the sins of the families of all these boys you wouldn't like them much either. It is the way of things. Rich, aristocrat families of humans will do ANYTHING to stay in power and increase their wealth. So I will not judge Quelten for what he knew not. He helped us, maybe even has saved our lives and if he was a traitor or working with that other member of his family he would not have helped us back in the tower. He would have stubbed you all in the back and taken me and Vorador to his master. We are sorcerers or wizards after all and the..."thing" behind all this seems to want sorcerers and wizards....badly. So cut him some slack and judge him by what actions you have seen him perform." He says sternly but not with ill intent to Zem and whoever else is thinking ill of Quelten because of the actions of his family.

Having nothing else to say he goes and helps the boys bathe not wanting to leave his younger and new apprentice alone. ever. again until they reach Old Port and deliver them to their families. After the latest revelations he doesn't want to leave the boys alone again until then.

As he is ready to talk to Talarc again he hears the screams of battle from Barrett. In an instant in his Elven reflexes his staff is at hand and he is ready to fight.

"Clothe yourselves and follow me. Looks like your first battle may be at hand." He tells the boys. After they are clothed they all run to Barrett.

Thinking it through Elan'fal has a nagging feeling that they are assuming too much again so he makes a different choice this time.

((OOC I hope Eghas means me and/or Vorador by dragonborn or I am way out in this and I may have to edit the post))

Hearing Eghas yell he decides to walk forth and speak in dragon tongue.

"Whoever you are, we do not mean you harm, you just surprised us, that is all. Please come out slowly so that the others do not perceive you as intending to harm us and we will not attack you." He says to whoever is hiding behind the rocks.

"Everyone do not attack unles this one attacks first, lets not assume it intents to attack us unless it actually does first. We may have another ally and not even know it, maybe one that knows this land." He tells calmly to the group.

"It was not within my thoughts, that any of you would know Dragon tongue," D'Narenth replied as he stood up, fully revealing himself to this strange group.

"Since you are on the land of my people, I would ask who you are and how came you to be here." D'Narenth paused for a moment before he continued, "I would also require an oath from you all, that you are no harm to my peoples." D'Narenth finished speaking, but was looking directly at the Elf who had spoken. Coming to a decision, he said, "I am called, D'Narenth."

If D'Narenth was speaking in Common 

In truth, the creature intimidated Zemzelett a bit.  If he had not "gone" during his little swim, he was certain that a considerable trickle would be dripping out of his loincloth into the ground.  Combined with his emotional exhaustion, the only response the half-elf can manage is to nod rather vigorously at D'Narenth, with his right hand crossed above his heart.

Item Interaction: Stow crossbow. 

=====ALTERNATIVE=====

If D'Narenth was speaking in Draconic:

Zemzelett watches in awe as the dragon thing hissed at Elan'fal.  Was it friendly or hostile?  As it looked in his direction, the half-elf nervously brought his crossbow up, shivering all the while.  If he hadn't emptied his bladder during his little swim, the ground beneath him would be wet by now.  

Ready Action: Crossbow against Dragonborn if it makes any sudden moves.

EDIT: For purposes of the narrative, assume Draconic, and after Elan'fal's explanation, do the nodding.

Elan'fal relaxes and places his short staff back to its sheath on his back. He knows that except Vorador no one else knows the dragonic tongue and like this he hopes that they understand that the creature means them no harm.

"Pleased to meet you D'Narenth, my name's Elan'fal, these are my...friends. We mean you or your people no harm if no harm comes to us. Do you understand...speak our tongue?" Elan'fal continues to speak with D'Narenth.

"We have been a lot the last few days and they, we assumed you meant harm. What is this place called if you know...and what year is it? I swear that I will not harm your people unless they try to harm me or my friends first." He finishes and turns to the rest of the group.

"Sheath your weapons his name is D'Narenth and he means no harm. If you would not mind swearing to him that you will not harm his people, he requested it. I already gave my oath to him." He tells them looking at each of them individually.

Innil puts away his bow and arrow as he runs with Elan'fal and draws his sword. He looks at Elan'fal for an explanation after he speaks to the creature.

Innil relaxes and sheathes his sword at Elan'fal's words. Then tells Elan'fal to relay his swearing to not harm the creatures' people.

But just in case Elan'fal is wrong about the creature he readies his fire bolt cantrip

Given that the creature appears to be talking, Quelten steps back and lowers his weapon.  He's still prepared to fight if need be, but for now he's going to be as non-threatening as possible while he waits for those with the ability to talk to the creature to finish their discussion.

Vorador eyes the dragon-kin and shakes his head as it starts speaking in Draconic, "Wow, there really are thing that look like the statues down in the underground maze of Old Port. It's them statues and that glowing book that taught me how to speak that tongue too!" He moves up at D'Narenth speaking in Draconic, "Hey, None of us know where we are, so can you like, help a Halfelf out, here? Oh, and can you really, like, breath fire and stuff the statues told me you can?" 

Quelten sighs.  "In this situation, 'necessary' is going to have a much broader meaning than you realize, Barrett.  We don't even know if we're on the same plane as Old Port.  Which means we're going to have to give up a lot of information just to start explaining that little detail.  And while I suggest a rather cautious description of that, given the mistakes that lead to us being here, in the end I don't think we'll be able to hold much back."

Although Zemzelett has stowed away his weapon, he keeps his guard up and eyes D'Narenth warily.  He doesn't trust the hideous-looking scaly reptile who looks like he can eat him whole if he wants to.  Not that the scrawny half-elf will make much of a nourishing meal, as he is nothing more than skin and strips of lean meat hanging on bones.

Elan'fal points to their fire while looking at D'Nareth, "Would you like to join us in our fire? We have been...marooned here and have no idea where we are...or what year it is. I hope that none of our customs insult you, we do not know your customs so it will not be intentional." He tells him in dragonic before turning his head to Barrett.

"I would not lie to him even in the common tongue whether he lets us know or not he may understand it. Let us not have unrequired bloodshed where none is needed, plus we will need his help and maybe the help of his people to get out of here and back to Old Port. Consider him a friend until proven otherwise I say. Best make that oath he wants of not harming his people."

"Tell him," Zemzelett croaks at Elan'fal without looking him in the eye, "that I swear I will not harm a scale on his people if unprovoked.  But if they harm me, I have the right to defend myself."  He hasn't quite forgotten nor forgiven the severe reprimand the Elf Sorcerer has given him earlier.

First he rebukes him mercilessly and not 20 minutes later, he smiles at him with apparent approval? Zemzelett is thoroughly astonished at the mercurial actions of the Sorcerer. It would be less confusing if he stayed angry. He gamely smiles at Elan'fal, and heads for the campfire, choosing a spot next to the five boys they rescued.