The Deserted Beach

Kyle Aarons

The elf Elan'fal, continued to translate what the others are saying. Then, almost everyone having made their oaths, Elan'fal invited D'Narenth to their fire. A little elfling, makes his own oath, albeit with no small amount of fear rolling off of him. Another being speaks.

While Elan'fal translates, there is no question about the tone D'Narenth was hearing. Pure Arrogance is what he hears. His eyes, briefly narrow on the figure of Quelten

D'Narenth stands stock still as all of this goes on. His eyes move from Elan'fal to the rest as they speak and Elan'fal translates to finally rest on Vorador. He switches to the common tongue to see if they know this language. "Elves, Humans and what appears to be Demon Spawn. All together, and lost it appears. We know of you, Elves and Human, but have not seen your races in uncounted years. But Demon Spawn?" at this, D'Narenth bares his teeth, "How is it that you travel with such as he?" D'Narenth points to Eghas, though he doesn't know his name.

After saying this, he notices that none of the foreigners seem to understand what he says, so he switches to Orcish and repeats what he just said, but adding, "How ya can come dis place? How ya not know where ya be?" This last was directed to the small being that had walked right up to him. D'Narenth stares directly at Vorador.

D'Narenth now waits to see if anyone understands. Else he will have to repeat everything in the Dragon tongue.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vorador glances over at Quelten with a smirk and responds in Draconic. "He is a noble out of Old Port and hired us to join him on an expedition. With a storm, one so powerful it may have been magic in origin, we become stranded here, where ever here is. now we have these trainees with us and we are rally out of our element and could use some clothing more suited for this area, like a light loin cloth and a light shirt. Would there happen to be a village or town where this coin will spend? (he holds out some of the minted coin. D'Narenth, this coin would have to be taken to a money changer before it could be spent, it would cost 5% of wealth for a money changer to take and convert it to coin of your kingdom)

Also, as a side note, Vorador takes off the studded leather armor he was wearing and passes it over to the young rouge since they are very close to the same size. As he does so, he smirks at the rest of the group wearing noting but a loincloth and boots , I no longer need armor. with at he draws a sigil in the air that becomes smoke and surrounds him before it all but fades leaving him looking a little shadowy. (D'Naranth, you know he just cast some kind of spellish something, but it was in no way an actual spell, not even a cantrip. it was just way too fast and whatever t was only did something to the boy, One thing is certain, it is noting like you have ever seen before!)

*** I am assuming that the "common tongue" D'Naranth mentioned is the same Common everyone speaks.  If not, disregard that he he said anything to D'Naranth. ***

So, the Dragonborn can speak Common as well!  The half-elf bard briefly wonders whether the creature was toying with them, perhaps to test out Elan'fal's proficiency with his mother tongue.

His curiosity getting the better of his fear, the scrawny 16-year-old raises his hand to be acknowledged.  When the creature nodded at him, he decides to speak.

"S-Sir?" Zemzelett stammers, his voice no louder than a whisper.  "W-we are lost, yes.  B-But what do you m-mean, you have not seen our races in uncounted y-years?  T-There are lots of us out there."

Out of the corner of his eye, Zem sees Vorador strips off his armor, if not for his loincloth covering his unmentionables, he would be stark naked.  Wondering what his fellow half-elf was thinking, he can only watch agog as Vorador ... did something to himself.  Did something cool -- was he wearing a magical shadow or something?!

EDIT:  Disregard rest of this post, as has been pointed out it was based on a misconception.

"Well, I'm glad you speak common," Quelten smiles.  He doesn't like lying, but he wasn't going to pick a fight with Barrett in front of this thing.  "Seeing as how everyone here knows it, it would be rude, at best, to continue in any other language.  I'm going to hope that burst of draconic was Vorador explaining how we came to be stranded here, after rescuing these children from foes who had taken them prisoner."

((((((OUT OF CHARACTER!!!  D'Narenth's common is NOT the same as our Common.  Common is based on the common language of the area you are from.  since we are no where near we were before, the common we know is NOT the same common that the Dragonling is speaking))))))))

****GM NOTE ****

yes, for the record, D'Narenth's langage, the common langage of his area is nothing like your common. If fact it has more of a russian-like sound while yours is more nordic-like (yeah, you really THAT far away from home)

*****END NOTE*****

Elan'fal looks at Zem raising a brow on the kid's reaction and makes a mental note to ask him later.

"Well...shipwrecked may  not be the most accurate of descriptions...we were at another place, something...weird happened and we were transported here. We have no idea where we are or even when we are...my friends have all sworn an oath not to attack or harm your people unless attacked first. Would you like to sit by our fire and eat of our sparse food? We would like to learn more of you, your people and this place if you would tell us." He tlls D'Nareth in the dragon tongue. "I understand some orcish but unless you know the Elven tongue I am afraid the others for now cannot understand you." He continues to speak as he walks towards the fire.

Feeling utterly useless but still needing to do something, (anything!), Zemzelett tosses back the coin he took earlier from their fallen enemies into the pile of loot, and makes a determination of what is the fairest possible split.  The valuable trinkets threw him off a bit, but finally he accomplishes what he sets out to do.  The half-elf splits the coin and trinkets into seven distinct divisions (Elan'fal already having taken his fill):

1. Pile no. 1 contains a solitary exquisitely-carved wood lute, valued at 100 griffins.
  2. Pile no. 2 contains a pair of silver candle holders, valued at 70 griffins.
  3. Pile no. 3 contains a quiver valued at 50 griffins.  It also contains 13 ravens, 22 coppers, 7 griffins, and 1 crown.  The entire pile is valued at 69.33 griffins.
  4. Pile no. 4 contains 13 ravens, 22 coppers, 7 griffins, and 1 crown.  This, together with the approximately 50-griffin Viol the half-elf has already taken, is also valued at 69.33 griffins and is the pile chosen by the half-Elf.
  5. Pile no. 5 contains 94 ravens, 64 coppers, 32 griffins, and 3 crowns.  This is valued at 69.34 griffins.
  6. Pile no. 6 contains 104 ravens, 63 coppers, 32 griffins, and 3 crowns.  This is valued at 69.34 griffins.
  7. Pile no. 7 contains 103 ravens, 53 coppers, 33 griffins, and 3 crowns.  This is valued at 69.33 griffins.

Zemzelett stuffs the contents of Pile No. 4 into a large coin pouch scavenged from the creatures, and invites all the others, Vorador and Reld included, to take their pick of the remaining six piles.

Still having more time to spare, Zemzelett lifts the nine packs (2 burglar packs , 4 2 explorer packs, and 3 2 dungeoneer packs) carried by their slain foes, and determines the combined weight of just the packs to be just shy of 500 pounds in total.

He gathers up the remaining adventuring gear not placed in the packs, and again tests the weight.  He estimates the weight of the collected pile to be heavier than him - around 130 pounds by his reckoning.  The entire mound of adventuring gear contains:

1. Nine sets of clothing - three common, one dark common, one fine, and three traveling
  2. One crowbar
  3. Two One disguise kit
  4. One healer's kit, perfect for the cleric trainee
  5. Two hunting traps
  6. Two manacles
  7. Thirteen Five pouches - ten two plain and three large
  8. One set of Alchemist's supplies
  9. One set of Thieves' tools, which the nearly fully-trained Rogue might fancy

Still not satisfied, he also makes an accounting of the weapons, ammunition, and armor.  After some huffing and puffing, he determines their weight to be approximately 265 pounds.  He segregates the weapons into piles of melee and ranged weaponry, and makes another pile for armor stripped from their foes:

1. The melee weapons pile contains: 2 battleaxes, 2 clubs , 8 2 daggers, 4 3 maces, 3 2 shortswords, 1 spear, and 1 war pick
  2. The ranged weapons pile contains: 3 1 light crossbow, a longbow, 3 2 shortbows, and a sling
  3. The ammunition pile contains: 100 60 arrows, 80 40 crossbow bolts, and 10 sling bullets
  4. The armor pile contains: a set of breastplate armor, two one chain shirt, a set of half-plate armor, two sets of leather armor, three two sets of studded leather armor, one steel shield, and three two wooden shields

The only items left after this were some assorted knick-knacks with no monetary value, but perhaps there is sentimental value for some:  The items here weigh a total of approximately 10 pounds.  The pile contains: a bracelet of marriage from the Temple of Veldoran, bone dice, weighted dice, a letter of promotion, a metal insignia, a cracked mirror, a mug with a message "To Dad, Love Krenson", pelt of a wolverine, a pouch of glass marbles, an orange wooden toy pony, and a wood box with 14 beautiful toy soldiers and an ugly handcrafted toy.  Zem takes a second look at the items, and decides to hold on to a few keepsakes.  Who knows, perhaps he can reunite them with their owners someday.

In all, the half-elf determines the total haul has to weigh a little over 900 pounds, and wonders if the horses are strong enough to pull that kind of weight.

There is still the question of how best to apportion the three magic items: the Ring, the Dagger, and the Amulet.  Having entirely no idea what any of them do, and without any wish to find out the hard way, the half-elf leaves the magic items with the knick-knacks.

His exertions has exhausted the half-elf; he walks back to the campfire and starts to read Pevel's diary.

Inventory Options: Rescind previous choice.  Take viol, 13 ravens, 22 sparrows, 7 griffins, and 1 crown.  Also take 1 large coin pouch.  From knick-knacks, take weighted dice, letter of promotion, and cracked mirror

"Reld and Eghas can you check the area together please and make sure we don't have any new surprises. Take two if the kids with you to as runners if they are up to it. Elan'fal I understand your ethics but I swear if there is a tribe of these things hiding out there and this one is the scout and you get us all killed I will kill you myself. I will say it again, share only what you must at first."

Elan'fal looks at Barrett with what can only be described as pure contempt. "I would advice you, that you keep your idle threats to yourself. I am giving nothing and if there is a tribe out there which there definitely is, seeing that this is their land and they wanted to kill us they could have done so while we were out cold." He tells him and returns his attention back to D'Nareth.

Note:  Ignore last post as result of misunderstanding over the nature of the 'common' language.

"There is a major difference between telling only what you must, and actively lying," Quelten hisses quietly at Barrett.  "I know you're a tad bit surprised, but try to think first, decide later. They may forgive a degree of reticence, of keeping things between ourselves, but even the slightest of lies will screw us completely.  And sooner or later, they will find out any lie.  The truth will out, whatever you wish."

****GM NOTE****

House keeping post:

It is difficult for me to know what each of you have done with going up a level.

D'Narenth is 2nd level so I have his.

I have some information from some of you but I need it in a nice consolidated place, so would each of you send me a PM with information on your leveling.

Also there is gear out there, but the kids are NOT going to take things unless they are directly offered. They each have their items back that were left when you were transported and a couple of you have give them other things, but if you want them equipped at all, I kind of need to know what they are carrying. Also, while Gothan has a spell book, he is not yet capable of casting spells out of it. He only has  the cantrips listed on what I put out before, so don't expect much out of him, or the others for that matter. While they have over three years of training each, they have done so only in safety until the keep was attacked and then they were kept prisoners. All five look area looking to you all for the vast majority of their daily needs and while their clothing used to be nice, it is now more on level with commoner clothing, just with a bit of color to it and they don't have shoes or boots. (prevented them from running and is where they got punished, but Barret healed that part)

With respect to gaining second level: you all get max roll on your given hit dice for 1st through 3rd so that is taken care of. the other things I need by character:

Fist off everyone: I want to insure I have increased the stat you wanted bumped up so include that in your PM to me:

Quelten: at first level you have the ability to strike a second time when in melee: You can use this up to your wisdom bonus number of times between rests.

at second level you gain two other abilities one is to attempt to turn undead and the second is the war priest ability to add a +10 to hit, you need to let me know in advance before you do this- you get these abilities a number of times of your wisdom modifier then you need to rest before regaining those abilities) so if you use one to try to turn undead you have two left for either turn undead or the +10 to hit before you must rest to replenish the divine pool you get this ability from. Finally you need to tell me what spells you have prepared- you can prepare your wisdom bonus + level in spells between each long rest. Once you get me a list, that list will not change until you get me a new list.

Elan'fal: you pick up two new spells to add to your book. It must be spells you can cast. (so first level) I need to know what spells. Also, like Quelten, you can prepare the number of spells equal to your level + your Intelligence bonus. You can change what spells you prepare after each long rest. I need to know what spells you have prepared and those will be the spells you have until you tell me differently.

Barret: still waiting to see what direction you are going for sure.

Eghas: I think we have you basically set, but I need to verify what spells you take.

Zem: you now have five spells known so I need your list of 5 spells. Also don't forget you can now do a bardic song of rest to heal friendly beings 1d6 during a short rest.

Innil: Fighters are easy- you now have an action surge (1) you can use and it recharges at each short rest. the action sure allows you to take a second action in a round which means an extra movement, an extra attack, open a door and attack... all sorts of combinations. but you only get one between each rest.

**** End GM Note ****

Vorador turns back and looks at all of you and speaks in your common which I am now going to call Sor'teth ( I honestly didn't think I would need to name the common language fro quite some time :rolleyes: ) and the place where you now are common language is Antargeth) Hey, come on now, I didn't lie. I said it was a storm that got us here, one so powerful to be possibly magical in nature..." Since his back it turned to the Dragon-kin he also sticks out his tongue at all of you

D'Narenth considers what the small elf, Vorador, has said and watches while the youngling strips down to his loincloth. He is about to say something to the youth, when Vorador makes some sort of sign in the air, only to see a smokey-something appear and settle about the youth.

Considering what D'Narenth has learned, which is not a whole lot, he decides to keep his tongue (which has often gotten him in trouble with his elders) silent, hoping to learn if this motley looking group of beings are truly lost or if they are here for some other (ulterior?) purpose. "Youth," D'Narenth addresses Vorador, "we have a money changer in my village. But he will charge you a fee for his service.

"Now since you know my name, let's go over to your fire and you can introduce me to yourself and your companions."

With that, D'Narenth places a hand on Voradors shoulder to turn him around and moves over to the group that is now gathering at the fire. Elan'fal joins him and explains the language problem and this groups appearance on the beach.

He also sees another young elf has taken the belongings of the dead and has separated the various tools, weapons and monies. One of the humans begins to speak  and his tone is a bit angry. Or so it seems to D'Narenth. The human points to a couple of other beings, who seem to be readying some sort of patrol or defensive perimeter.

The taller elf that is walking by his side, retorts back to the human. Even the arrogant human appears to be angry and says something to the first human. It is now quite clear to D'Narenth that is no leader among these newcomers. Finding out what they are doing here, what they want, is now imperative.

"Enough!" Growls D'Narenth. "I am the only one of my people here. This land, you find yourselves on is accursed, and is generally avoided by my peoples. I am here solely to report to my elders what the huge thunderclap was about. A huge surge of magic was felt. Since we have enemies to the north, we must be sure you are not raiders." His speech is now at a lower level, as he curbs his anger.

"My people, though generally peaceful, are warriors. We are often called to supply men, to the far north, to defend our kingdom from the Orcs and Gnolls that are allied with the black dragons, our Sworn Enemies." D'Narenth has been pausing to let Elan'fal translate what he has been saying.

"Now, it seems that you have been in some sort of battle, judging from the remains I see, over there. Somehow, you all were transported here, along with your vanquished foes - those orc-things. My village is not far from here, but I would not be comfortable introducing any of you, since you know my name, but have not bothered with any reciprocal naming.

"Another thing that is plain to me, you have no leader among your group. I may not know your languages, but your tone of speech comes plainly across.

"You bicker and quarrel among yourselves. Do you not know that any wayfaring group must have a leader?" D'Narenth snorts in disgust. "Were you put together in such a hodge-podge manner that you cannot agree amongst yourselves?

"If so, whatever quest you are on, is doomed from the start." D'Narenth looks at each and every one of them. "Choose your leader now. That he may treat with me and my elders."

"Damn," Reld says softly, "I like this guy!" He then Hold up his hands to show he has no weapons, "Reld," and points to his chest, "Reld." He says again. He then points down at Merirel and Luth, says there names twice and then gives each of them a light nidge with his boot, "Come one, grab some gear and join me on patrol." He then glances over at Eghas, "Dude, you going to join us on patrol and guard or are you gong to droll over Vorador and or the spell thingy he just let loose?" He then glances over at Vorador, "and man, I don't know what the hell that was, and if it protects you, great, but don't do that shit in front of others, its... its... just creepy..."

Elan'fal finishes translating for D'Nareth and nods. "I agree with D'Nareth...on some points. I vote Eghas as our leader. He is by far the most level headed, and even after his unwilling mistake he is trying. He and only he has my vote, and respect on this matter, although I am beginning to respect and value a few others within the group, with Innil first and foremost." He says to everyone and continues. "What Eghas commands I will do and I will give him my counsel when required.." Then turns to Zem. "I am sorry if I was overly....strict earlier but I felt you wronged Quelten for something he did not do or had in any way part in and I did not like that. I did however like your oath to D'Nareth and I tried to convey that by smiling."

Then he turns to Quelten, "Quelten, Reld and Vorador for that matter...I do not know if I have been arrogant towards you, if I have I am sorry but my experiences so far with humans....few as they are have not in any way been in any way pleasant even before I met our group and I have allowed that to influence my feelings towards people I did not know before, judging a species based on the actions of some long gone individuals. That will change from now on."

"Innil, I hope you know you have my respect, friendship and loyalty."

"Barrett...I have nothing to say to you until you start changing your overall attitude but I will defend you in battle."

He speaks calmly in "their" common tongue in his group before turning his head back to D'Nareth.

"D'Nareth As I have already told you my name is Elan'fal, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I hope that you can help us return to Old Port or at least take us as far as you know of the land. I cannot speak for the whole group but if the others agree and our leader says so I will help your people if I can."

Then he touches Talarc's shoulder. "He is Talarc my newfound apprentice and a sorcerer in training like me." He tells D'Nareth in his tongue.

[[ OOC - D'Narenth knows by sight (through the legends he knows) only Humans and Elves. He does not know such distinctions as half-elf and such. He also knows a demon-spawn when he sees it, but again is unaware of any further distinctions. Don't assume more than you must ]]

D'Narenth regards Elan'fal before speaking again.

"Elan'fal, I do not think everyone agrees with you, as to a leader. Whoever that may be." D'Narenth decides to give out a bit of information. "Your guards," he points to those leaving, "should be aware that while I have seen no threats, gnolls are present in these rolling hills by this beach."

Elan'fal nods before speaking again. "Yes, I know but they do not have to, only our leader has to...when we choose him. And I hope he is Eghas." He says pointing at Eghas. 

Then he translates to the rest what D'Nareth told him about the Gnolls in the hills.

"You didn't give him our names as you translated?" Quelten asks Elan'fal, utterly and completely horrified.

Taking a deep breath, he forces himself to be calm.  "Nevermind, too late for basic courtesy now.  As far as leadership goes, after the sheer stupidity of his little stunt, I won't follow Eghas.  To my surprise I found myself realizing that forgiveness is possible, but that is a far, far call from actually agreeing to follow him.  There are others here I might agree to follow, but not him.  Not now."  Quelten lets his gaze sweep the rest of the group, measuring his feelings towards each of them in turn.  "I don't know who I would vote for, but I vote decisively against Eghas."

Quelten looks at Vorador.  "The verb 'helped' is rather prejudicial in this context," he explains with an extremely even tone.  "He didn't tell me what he was planning to do.  He simply asked me to do something, and I assumed -- inaccurately -- that he'd had an intelligent idea."

Elan'fal sighs. "We have all done mistakes, I hope we are the better men and can move beyond them. Quelten you have expressed your feelings about Eghas' mistake to everyone and they are understood, so I don't think there's a reason to dwell on it any longer or rub it in. Who would you suggest for leader of our group? I think this needs to be solved as quickly as possible." He says calmly.