The Deserted Beach

Kyle Aarons

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the group embarks on another journey, Zemzelett ensures he is furthest away from the Dragonborn leading the way.  His fears having subsided, he once again feels the exhiliration of adventure and breaks out into song with viol in hand:

♪ The Wicked Park looks so tranquil and nice

Not a creature to be seen.

We’re stuck in this land of Antargath.

And we’re just a bunch of teens.

The sun is setting, can we reach this Gelt tonight?

There are gnolls around, will we have to fight?

Don’t let them close, don’t let them see.

We should always be moving carefully.

Conceal, don’t squeal.

Don’t let them know.

BAH!  Let them know!

Let us go!  Let us go!

Don’t hold it back anymore!

Let us go!  Let us go!

Move away from the cursed shore!

I don’t care, what you’re going to say.

Stink Brigade, move on!

The gnolls never bothered us anyway!

It’s funny how some distance,

Makes everything seem small.

Problems that once seemed so hopeless

Can’t get to us at all!

It’s time to see what we can do!

Eghas! Barret! And Quelten too!

Innil! Elan’fal! Vorador!

And Reld!

Let us go!  Let us go!

We are one with the wind and sky

Let us go!  Let us go!

You’ll never hear us cry!

Here we are, and there we’ll roam

Till we reach our home!

Our power flurries through the air into the ground

Our souls shine brightly with determination all around!

And one thought crystallizes like a stormy blast

We're only going straight - my friends, let's go, go fast!

Let us go!  Let us go!

We grow strong with the break of morn.

Let us go!  Let us go!

We’ll do what we have sworn!

We’ll make sure all these boys go home!

Stink Brigade, move on!

The gnolls never bothered us anyway! ♫

*** OOC: Come now.  Don't tell me you all didn't expect this song as a template. :D ***

***OOC we did! We did!! :P And now lemme catch up :P***

Elan'fal continues to translate to and from D'Nareth but also he starts to try teaching the dragonborn some basic words from "their" common language, if the dragonborn is to continue and be with them even after they leave this land he can't be one of only two people who understand him.

He can't help but laugh at Zem's fear of the creature, even if not totally unfounded. "No, Zem wait! You are far too scrawny to be of taste to him! If he was to eat someone I think he would prefer a well bred noble!" He says poking his tongue out at Quelten and grinning.

"Yes, I agree we should not leave any magical artifacts behind. And please tell me if there's anything I can help carry. Talarc please take some of the money with you. A sorcerer should always travel light as to not encumber his ability to cast spells and not reveal his position in the battlefield but if you think you can carry some of the lighter stuff without encumbering yourself too much feel free to do so."

"So we're off to the dwarfs then? They may not be too pleased to see elves hehehe." He says to the group before turning his attention to D'Nareth.

"D'Nareth, I am afraid I do not know the names of the herbs that grow in these parts so I would have to talk to someone who does, but I will need herbs to make potions for healing, endurance and restoring magical energy after making a spell (mana). I could just grab random herbs and make potions but it would need someone to taste them to learn of what they actually do...and I wouldn't suggest it." He tells the dragonborn and then goes and prepares his backpack and whatnots for traveling.

The group travels for almost three hours, actually a bit past dusk, to get to the turnoff to the Dwarven village, which is a narrow gap of about four side by side horses though some pretty jagged and nasty rocks. However, things are not all quiet, for there are three crossbow bolts stuck into the ground in the narrow pass and  as you approach the turn you see a lone human standing next to a horse which has a single grazing wound on its side. The man is in armor and looking down the pass, well actually looking up above into the area looking down on the trail. The man looks angry and turns to look at your group as you come up. As he does so a bolt gets fired down and sticks a couple of feet away from him on the trail. Those of you who can see in the dark at all see two Gnolls perched up on the rocks, with good cover and with light crossbows in hand.

"Get off the Damn Trail you idiots. Get down now." The Man Takes aim as best he can with a heavy crossbow and fires he cant really see but is just hoping the shot puts their head down enough for these fools to to get off the trail and get to cover.

Able to see in the dark Elan'fal sees the gnolls in their perch behind cover. He grabs Zem and Talarc by their elbows and hides them behind some large boulders a few meters behind the man's horse. "Look out! Gnolls in higher ground!" He tells the rest of the group as he ducks behind the boulder.

"Oh, it's just Gnolls." Zemzelett thinks to himself.  "We can take care of gnolls."

Having been moved into cover by the Elven Sorcerer, the half-elf invokes his trusty illusion cantrip.  Maybe he can startle the gnolls into abandoning their favorable terrain.

Action: Minor Illusion.  Create unearthly shriek behind gnolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE

Quelten, hearing the commotion, quickly rides forward back into close contact with the rest of the group.  With the economy of a practiced rider he slides out of the saddle, longbow in hand.  "Orders, Eghas?" his training snaps to the fore even as he takes a shot of his own.  D'Narenth's identification of Gnolls as raiding forces in this area was good enough for him, especially combined with the human nature of the man fighting them.

the shot sails well wide, but as it smacks into the rocks the Gnoll on that side disappears from view and you hear a Gnoll cursing (for those who can understand, it is says, "Nug, he got big crossbow, no want to get hit with one of those. Not worth 15 Asp to get dead!"

From across the other side looing back toward the direction your group is coming from and higher up you hear another Gnoll let out a whistle and yell, (again, if you know Gnoll you can understand what it says)  "Big group coming from forbidden land! Stay low, but let no one pass!" 

"Reld, Barret, Quelten, make your way up and behind the Gnolls."  Eghas says in common, which is not so common around here.  "The rest of us...."  Eghas points a hand towards one of the Gnolls, the one he can see the clearest, leads it, then fires a magical blast at it."

Abram looks around and says "What the hell language are you people speaking." He looks over to the Elves and In Elvish "Where from the nine levels of Hell did you come?" 

"Talk later, Mister. You gotta get to cover!"

As Zemzelett could not understand what language the man was initially speaking, he repeats it in Elvish and Dwarven. Perhaps the non-human languages don't have as many dialects as the human tongue.

"Converse afterwards, kind Sir.  Tarry not in seeking shelter lest their projectiles hit!"
"Blether efter, Mister.  Ye gotta git tae cover!"

Turning to the shoeless Talarc beside him, the half elf whispers. "You got a light? They're right over there," he says, pointing to the nearest gnoll.

"Oh, right. We don't want that either.  Keep your head down, okay?" Talarc was right - he would be the primary target if he shows himself to be a spellcaster.

There has to be another way, safer for the boys.

"Anyone else got a light?  Have him enchant a crossbow bolt or an arrow, or heck, a dagger or handaxe.  Pass it to us who can see, and we'll let 'em have it." Zemzelett hisses to the Rogue-in-training.

"Eghas, any ideas on how to flank them?  I'm really not seeing a path of any sort!" Quelten snaps back.  With reluctance, he reaches up to touch the holy symbol at his throat.  "Mithras," he invokes his new deity's name, "I could use a bit of light."

{{  Mechanics:  If the Gnolls are in range of the light spell, I cast it directly on them.  If they are not, on an arrow aimed at them that I shoot at them.  }}

D'Narenth shouts to the new human in common, "these appeared in the wicked park. Elvish and Draconic they understand. Elan'fal! Tell Eghas that I'm going to climb the dead fall to see if I can get behind them and flush them out."

With that, D'Narenth is above the deadfall and climbing the near cliff face faster than anyone thought such a big creature could go. Only a few minutes pass, until they all hear the gnolls bellowing with terror.

Zemzelett is immensely relieved that the dragonborn is going to eat the gnolls instead of him.  He glares at the nearest gnoll, upturns his mouth, points his finger at it, and quips, "Yo mama's so big, she can't see her feats." Although the creature can't understand him, the half-elf hopes it would hurt its feelings.

Action: Vicious Mockery on nearest gnoll

Eghas, your first Eldrich blast erupts from your hand and has the same crackling sound, but it looks a whole lot different than Vorador's. Yours is an bright bluish-gold and it slashes into the rock the Gnoll you aimed at is hiding behind.

Quelton, since Light is a range touch spell, you cast light on an arrow by touch and fire it the next round. the Arrow goes up and bounce off some rocks before falling between two of them. the light reviels a Gnoll in studded leather and pointing a crossbow down at the pass. Since you cast such an obvious spell you get a bolt shot at you. Eghas you also get one shat at you. Quelten the bolt sails over your head. Eghas, you get hit for 5 points from the one who fired at you.  

Abram, You next shot goes way high.

Zem, you feel your Vicious Mockery take hold as you do damage and leave the hapless Gnoll with a disadvantage.

D'Narenth, you start climbing and run right into a pair of hiding Kobalds that were watching the standoff between the Gnolls and the human from a shallow cave with greed, figuring whoever won would not matter. They would end up with some loot and would not have to lift a claw. You catch them totally off-guard. You can attack them if you wish since they are now looking at you with wide eyes only a few feet away. They scream in fright and Shout in Draconic, "Dragon!" and "Lots of teeth!" This is the shouting those below hear :P

Barret once again casts shield of faith on Reld who then moves into the middle of the pass and starts shouting out in Goblin, "Come on shoot at me, show yourselves you weak willed morons!"

Most of you are focused on the fight and don't see Vorador point at the nearest Gnoll, but many of you do hear him say, "Bareul, find me the weakness!"

*** OOC: Kyle, you may have missed Elan'fal's Firebolt cantrip ***

Giddy at having hurt the gnoll's tender feelings, Zemzelett tries his best to damage yet another gnoll's psyche.

"Thou clay-brained guts, thou knotty-pated fool, thou whoreson obscene greasy tallow!"

He heard it in a play, once.  He has no idea what it means, but it sounded cool.

Fearful that he's just made himself a target, the half-elf immediately hits the ground. While on the ground the half-elf points to the illuminated gnoll and yells out to the apprentices: "Hey guys!  Target practice!"

Action: Vicious Mockery on the gnoll illuminated by Quelten.  If it's the same gnoll that's viciously mocked, target the gnoll that hit Eghas. If Hellish Rebuke killed the gnoll, target any other enemy in range, preferring those that aren't viciously mocked.  

Move: Drop Prone.  While prone, Zemzelett has disadvantage on attack rolls and can only crawl unless he uses half his movement speed to stand up.  Melee attacks against Zemzelett have advantage; ranged attacks have disadvantage.