The Deserted Beach

Kyle Aarons

Quelten looks angrily at Eghas, climbing the cliff face like a spider going up a wall.  "Damnit, how are you people doing that?  In armor no less!" he complains.  Quelten can't close effectively to melee range, he can't use his bow worth a damn, and the spells he had prepared this morning were... well, not useless, but certainly not something he wanted to dish up against the single remaining visible gnoll.  If nothing else, he'd rather burn them healing the trainees as the trainees got some experience.

"Mithras, I beseech you once more for your power," he points at the gnoll he can see, then trots off to the face of the cliff.  Damned if he knew how he was going to climb it, but if that was what he needed to do, he'd find a way!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elan'fal looks at Zem, he is not angry or sarcastic, "Perhaps next time you'll do as asked?" He says before running from Abram's horse to the rocks. Pausing there he casts a spell to detect any magic nearby, his instincts telling him that not all are as they should be.

Move: from Abram's horse to the rocks.

Action: Cast spell : Detect magic and hold it for a max of 3 turns.

Quentin, you try another Scared flame which doesn't seem to phase the Gnoll, you then move and attempt to climb. Going is slow but you manage to get up 15 feet on the rocks.

Abram, you move up on the nearest Gobbling and slash it viciously. (critical hit and close to max damage) blood erupt out of it's mouth as its guts spill out of its guts. te other charges you screaming in your common about you killing his brother and hits you for 4 points of damage with a short sword.

Zem fires his crossbow, but trips as he does so. The bolt slices his foot as he fires it straight down, doing 3 points of damage to himself and leaving him unable to move any further.

Eghas, you manage to get up 30 feet up on the rocks only to get another blue lowing flask thrown down at you. You get hit with 4 points of splash damage from blue ice crystals as it explodes close to you.

D'narenth, the second Kobald didn't fare too well against you ands you slash into it twice. As it falls, you notice an old wooden chest in the back of the small cave.

Eland' fall casts detect magic and starts focusing on what is around him. As he moves the animal into better cover.

Since the spellcasting Gnoll fell, the bubble of darkness fades

Disaster! Zemzelett had been well and truly hosted by his own petard as his critically-fumbled attack sent a bolt deep into his right foot, lodging deep into the meat, tendons and ligaments, slightly nicking the navicular bone. The pain was excruciating, but the half elf was even more worried about his epic failure, especially in front of the children. Indeed, how can he hope to command their respect after this pathetic display of archery? He could not. In fact he was not even sure they would be able to look at him without snickering ever again.

If they survive their encounter, will the half-elf be forced to spend the rest of his life being an invalid? Forget about doing acrobatics, would he even be able to walk normally again?

Feeling absolutely furious with himself - he's lost whatever shred of respect he might have gained from them anyway - the half elf drops to the ground and lets out a truly impressive string of curses laced with profanity into the night as he yanks the bolt out of his foot. Truly, if his mother was here, she would have spent the night and the next day scrubbing the filth out of her offspring's vile mouth. To her credit, much of the expletives Zemzelett used were not learned during her tutelage - Reld had a loud voice, and the half-elf was nothing but a good listener.

Move: Drop prone.
Action: Vicious mockery on the well lighted gnoll.
Item interaction: Yank out bolt stuck in foot.

Taking a very quick look around, so he can locate the cave again, D'Narenth quickly closes the distance between him and Abram. "Abram! I've got your back!!" he shouts in common, and engages another Gobbling that has appeared close by while Abram is engaged with the one that just slashed him.

Elan'fal stands behind the horse for cover as he concentrates on his spell. He can't do much else but seeing Zem's predicament he yells over to the boys.

'Boys, help Zem, Gothan and Talarc keep firing cantrips to the gnolls you can see, provide cover fire, Reinlor try removing the bolt and healing him. Luth help as you can." He tells the boys and searches for anything magical, auras, spells, anyone controlling the goblins, anything.

Zemzelett shoots Elan'fal a look of panic - he is absolutely mortified at having to be attended by a bunch of soft, rich noble kids who can apparently shoot better than him.

Meanwhile, Innil's sharp ears picked up Zemzelett's uttered curses. The vulgar profanities brought back fond memories, quickened his blood flow, and gave him inspiration in his climb.

Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Innil.

Abram slashes at nearest goblin and yells in Gnoll  "Hey you down there, big guy, when your done playing with the puppies I could use a Hand up here." Then In Common so Only D'Nareth could understand. "I could us the help Lord Dragonborn."

Reld, rety much does what Abram says he is dong, he is playing with the toher two wild dogs. Becuase of the perch he is on, he doesn't have much room so he sheaths his weapon and punches the bigger of the two. Pretty much eveyone hears the whole of pain from the animal and the snraling aof the other is it hits nothing but metal shield.

Elan'fal, from where you are, you don't have the greatest of views, but the Goblings (not Goblins) each have something magical around their necks. (Goblings are a cross between other races and Hobgoblins- they are bigger meaner and smarter than Goblins, but often times more refined than there Hobgoblin half-kin)

Zem, three of the boys come over and help you off to some cover of rocks since pulling out a bolt isn't the easiet thing in the world to do. However, at least Rienlor knows how to use a healing kit so he can help you out once you get your boot off.

Innil, you put your bow over your back and start climbing. While it is not the easiet thing in the world, there are hand holds and the rocks aren't crumbling. From where you make it to, you can see a Hobgoblin just inside a cave that looks like it goes deep. It is whispering something into a conch sea shell. In front of him are two wild dogs. they have not noticed you yet.

Abram closes on the Gobling while D'Narenth lends a hand. The odd thing is, the one cursing at you for killing its brother goes after D'Narenth instead of you and opens itslef up for an attack of opprotunity as it moves past you. You devliver a nasty swip to it which allows D'narenth to finish it off with a single blow. This leaves only two Goblings around the two of you and two who ae all but charging down on you from higher up.

Abram sees the glazed over somewhat insane look in the eyes of the next Gobling as it rears back and swings as you come into range. The club hits for 4 points of damage, but it doesn't get a chance to do more as you slash into it doing another critical hit with massive damage. (You are going to be a gory mess after this fight  :) ) the Gobling falls down the rocks splattering blood the whole way from the gash you left in its chest.

Quelton you get up to be all but level with the last remaing Gnoll only to see it lob yet another blue glowing glass container in your direction. It explodes as it shatters on the rocks and you take 5 points of splace damage from it. From where you are, you can tell it has one of thsoe let on a potion bandoleer across its chest.

Vorador sends up another edrich blast, bact actaully misses this time.

Barret moves over and does a healing word on Talarc, since it was real celar the boy was loking really hurt after the slapsh damage from the potion. (For thsoe who have been wondering what he has been doing, he has been trying to keep the five boys alive and casting scared flame, the problme is, he is having as much sucess with it as Quelten is)

Eghas, you get up to the sleeping Gnoll. You find him clutching a book in one hand and a large highly polished tiger's eye with the other. It is snoring.

Eghas removes the book, and Tiger's eye, as well as kicks any weapons away, all the while making sure that something else isn't headed his way.  if nothing is, he looks for a new target (shouldn't be hard).  However, he is going to stay near to this Gnoll so that it can not get away, if it manages to wake up

The hills are alive with the sound of screaming,

As Zemzelett takes off his bloody boot.

Despite his disgust, the tears kept on forming,

When they pulled that bolt out of his poor foot.

The bard wants to curl up and cry like a baby that wails through the day and all night.

His blood pulses out from the wound, a spray Reinlor tries hard to fight.

He grits, takes the bolt, loads it into the bow, and fires it away.

It sails through the night, in its wake trailing crimson-red spray.

Then Zemzelett slaps his own face a few times.

He knows that will force all his tears away.

It’s just a flesh wound,” he says nonchalantly.

Get ‘em! I’m okay.

Song butchered: The Sound of Music

Action: Fire that accursed bolt to any enemy within range

As the Gobling that slashed Abram falls under under his ax,  D'Narenth parries another with his short sword, bringing his ax to strike the breast of this latest target.

As this is going on, D'Narenth speaks to Abram in common. "Imagine my surprise to find humans and elves appear in the wicked park. Beings that do not speak our common tongue. Beings my people have not seen in these parts for uncounted ages! Imagine my further surprise to see another human here, speaking our common tongue. Surely you are from across the mountains... from Malatorm? One would wonder at these things, if one had time to wonder!"

Elan'fal keeps on the spell as he starts climbing the rocks. His elven agilitity aids him.

"Whoever can, get me one of those things around the Gobling's neck unbroken. Someone should bind and gag the spellcaster before he wakes up." He yells in both common tongues.

move: climb up rocks.

Abram Charges the nearest enemy laughing as he swings. In local Common so none of the other can understand. "Lord Dragonborn, Imagine my surprise seeing you with this group. I am chasing a criminal that is wanted in Warmon."

Elan'fal, you start climbing even as Barret once again uses a healing word on one of the injured kids.

From below, four of the boys send up bolts or cantrips at the nearest gobling coming down twoard Abram and D'Narenth. Only one bolt hits, but hits hard.

Zem loads the blood bolt and sends it at the same creture, but his aim just seems to be off, or maybe it is the fact Reinlor is binding his foot with some materiel out of the healing kit. The bolt goes well wide, but Reinlor does a good job. Zem, you get 3 hitpoints back.

Innil you line you bow up on one of the dogs and let loose with an arrow. Your shot drops it with out even a yelp out of the dog. You uses your action surege and lauch a firebolt at the next one. This one lets out a seriously pained howl before it drops. From inside the cave the Hobgoblin looks up with wide eyes, turns and runs deeper into the dark cave out of your line of sight.

Abram, you carve into the Gobling closest to you, but it doesn't go down. It swings at you and misses by a wide margin.

D'narenth exchanges misses with the Gobling in front of him even as the last two goblings come down the rocks and close to within range, but had to move to far to attack. both appear to have been woken and have no armor on, only loin cloths and short swords. they have the glazed over look in htier eyes as well.

Vorador decides to forgo his extra aim once he notes four goblings on two unknowns, but they are fighting with him and his group so he wants to keep it that way, He sends up an eldrige blast up and into one who came down the hill that had not yet been wounded. The blast catches it pretty close to dead center just as it gets to the side of D'Narenth and drops it.

Reld slashes into another dog and kicks its carcass off the side of the rocks. He then shouts at the last one, "Come on mutt, I've killed war dogs and you ain't nothin' when compared to a war dog!"

Eghas, you get the Tiger's eye and book away from teh Gnoll who stirs but does not wake. In the distance you can hear Elan'fal telling you to bind and gag it (Elan'fal, you don't know both forms of common so I assume you shout in your common.)

Quelton, as you close on the last gnoll he tosses the last potion on his bet at you. You take 5 ponts of splash damage before you get to him. Since this whas not enough to take you down, all though you are hurt, it starts to raise its hands in surrender only to get a heavy corssbow bolt in its back from somehting hiding way up in the rocks. It drops face first in front of you.

(Note to D'Narenth: The last three Goblings are all where you could use your breath weapon without hitting Abram or you can save it for latter- just figured you may want to know this)

"Oh isn't this just lovely," Quelten says, disgusted, even as the holy energy he'd called forth begins to drain away.  Touching his holy symbol, he reshapes his prayer and begs Mithras for more healing.

{{ OOC: since I didn't get a chance to use my extra attack, I'm a-gonna hope I get to keep it until next time -- I'm 'reshaping' the energy only as in-game flavor, 'kay? }}

"Watch out, there's at least one person with a heavy crossbrow out there!" he shouts, in warning, as he scans the area for the attacker, or any other likely targets.  "Possibly friendly, but he just shot someone trying to surrender, so I'm guessing bad guy who does not want us getting prisoners!"

Exasperated at his failure to hit anything remotely resembling an enemy, Zemzelett shakes his crossbow in disgust. This thing must be broken.  Yeah, that's why he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn tonight - it's totally not his fault! Well, maybe third time's the charm, the half-elf thinks.  But maybe not, as something appeared to have taken out the gnoll with a heavy crossbow, from behind.

The half-elf almost panics upon the realization - a single hit from that weapon can instantly kill any of them.  He has to find the shooter, and find it soon!  Pointing his finger at the spot where the shot appeared to come from, the bard mutters an elven incantation:

I call upon the radiance of the moon
Illuminate! Let darkness hide no more!
Oh great Serrif! Please grant this one your boon!
Faerie Fire!  I call you to the fore!

After casting the spell, the half-elf drops to the ground, and hisses to the other boys to follow.  "Heads down!  That was a heavy crossbow bolt!"

The half-elf was winded.  That was his second spell, and he is almost completely out of force.

Action: Faerie Fire (blue light), centered on that something hiding way up in the rocks, making sure to avoid friendlies.
Move: Drop prone