In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

Eghas sighs to himself before he speaks.  "Abram, D'naranth.  Would i be able to speak with you both.... privately."

The small group then moved off to the side to speak for a long while.

D'Narenth turns to Abram and asks, "It seemed to be obvious, earlier, that this Tiefling did not speak any of the languages we know, yet... What language did you just hear from him? It must be one that you know. Else why would you signal me to follow you?"

Quelton, there are some arcane runes on some of the magic items, but they don't mean anything to you.

Innill, you are pointed to a wood craftsman, a dwarven man with a huge family, most of which are apprenticing under the man who has a beard that is below his knees.

Eghas, what language are you using to communicate?

Innil went to the craftsman that was pointed out. He had some good looking work and a huge family. With the long beard Innil knew this was a proud dwarf so it would be seen as an insult not to haggle over the price but Innil had to find a way to leave some extra coin for this family.

"I'm looking for a flute and maybe a few gifts for my friends as well. Can you help with this?" Innil asked as he looked around the place.

Elan'fal performs a ritual to detect what are the various magical objects they have gathered then turns his attention to Eghas.

"Maybe you require my translation services or do you possess a language that these two can understand?" He asks him.

Zemzelett hands the cracked pearl over to Car'Sel so the dragonborn can take a closer look whether it can be magically mended or be used as the focus of an Identify spell.

The Half Elf breaks the brief silence by asking another question that's suddenly popped into his head. "Lord Car'Sel," he says in Dwarven, "might there be any cartographers around so we can get a map of where we are and perhaps where we need to go?"

((OCC Elan'fal is ready to go wherever the group goes. Doesn't have much to say or do until then, has bought a bow, has talked with Zem, has listened and replied to quelten about his family...what else is there? what the leader decides Elan'fal will follow.))

:smiley-shocked013: OUT OF CHARACTER :smiley-shocked013:

To be honest, I was waiting for the next day.

Things Zemzelett has done:
  • Comfort Quelten
  • Eat breakfast
  • Talk with Elan'fal
  • Shop
  • Stage a skit
  • Help sell the spoils
  • Talk to Eghas about additional purchases since he had custody of group funds (D'Naranth needs a horse if Barett is going to keep his)
By my reckoning this advances the timeline for Zemzelett to the early afternoon.

Things Zemzelett is currently doing, in chronological order:
  • Ask Car'Sel about pearl and buying a local map
  • Go around with Quelten for a couple of hours to get information
  • Interact with the boys
  • Read the diary which will take a few hours
  • Attempt to read the magic scrolls we got (should be able to if they are bard spells)
  • Sleep early (he's got like 3-4 hours of sleep? If that were me, even at age 16, I'd be a walking zombie the next day :P)
He will go along with whatever the group intends to do the next day, but he will express a preference to honor the boys' request and return to the Pass to save the captives.

{{ OOC:  I was waiting for others to move things along, but... }}

Having finished shopping, Quelten tried on his new chain mail, and gave the magical mage a few practice swings.  The armor is a definite keep, but the mace was a more difficult decision.  It was lighter in the hand, quicker and more accurate to swing, but it didn't have the authority of his warhammer.  He practiced his swings with it for a little while, turning the problem over in his head.  Finally, he decided.  It may have lacked a little of the raw power of his warhammer, but the extra accuracy and ability to hit magical creatures was just too useful to turn down.  Even the most powerful of blows is useless if you can't it with it.  If no one else wanted the mace, he'd take it as his own.

It was just too bad they couldn't identify so much of what they'd found.  The amulet from the bugbear was the first example, but there was so much else they just hadn't succeeded in identifying.  It was rather vexing.  {{ OOC: How the HELL are we supposed to identify this stuff, Kyle?  We've tried what was suggested in the materials we've found online and failed, so tell us so we stop obsessing over it!  That amulet, the potions, and I think there are a few other items...  I wants to know what they are!  }}

Having made his decisions, Quelten steps back and thinks for a bit.  As much as he'd love to just stay silent and let the group flounder a bit, Quelten knew beyond a doubt that was wrong.  It was ignoble, counterproductive, and directly opposed to all the training of his calling as a cleric.  Better yet, he did have an idea, the problem was that acting on it might give a certain little snot's opinions validation, and that was just not to be borne.  Plus it was probably counterproductive.

Not doing anything was counterproductive, doing something was counterproductive, and there wasn't much of a middle ground.  Oh, he'd *love* to walk up to the snot, hand the idea over, and sneer, 'now *you* can be the one with an idea.  Go use it.  I'm sure it's unusual for you, but you'll figure it out.  I'll even help, by not making comments on your attitude when you suddenly decide to be helpful.'

No, the middle road was just as counterproductive.

Finally he hits on a good idea, and tracks Zem down for a quick chat.  "Hey friend," he smiles at the one being in the group that he truly feels right calling by that title.  Even if the bard was occasionally a bit frivilous, his heart was clearly in the right place.  Well, maybe not frivilous, more like his *head* wasn't always in the right place.  See the show he'd put on earlier.  Even if he'd had to shoot the poor guy's ideas about using clerical magic to support it down, the show was amusing, and entertaining, but still completely and utterly insane.  And how the hell did he come up with it so quickly?

Quelten glances around to make sure Vorador isn't anywhere near, and pitches his voice so only Zem will hear.  "I wouldn't want to go *throwing* my noble status in anyone's face, like a *certain someone* suggested I do all the time," Quelten begins, not bothering to hide the bitterness in his tone.  "Do you think I can safely try to track down any information on where home is without doing that, or would using my initiative be his problem?  I suspect that if we ask around, we might be able to find something useful.  Maybe some trade goods we recognize from home, or something local that we know we import from a given direction.  Maybe someone will recognize our language, or one of our neighbors.  At the very least we can try to get an idea of the lay of the land around here.  Maybe find some maps we can use.  Or news of a wizard who might have some magical means of helping us find home.  Or at least get the feel of the locals to see if they'll support an effort to clear those caves out.  'Noble arrogance' or not, I don't like the idea of leaving a known problem behind us if we can help solve it."

Eghas has been concentrating on getting information.  he goes to the source he knows best, the orphans.  Since there are no real street people in this village, that is the best he can do.  it did turn out to be a wealth of knowledge.  once he was done with that, he starts to look around at the shops, speaking with those that he can speak with.  at one point he meets up with Vorador, and sees if the he needs any help with anything.  The main thing he is keeping his eyes out for is the people.  Eghas knows people, and how they act.  he wants to see what type of people they have in this town.  people are people no matter what race they are.

He is also searching for higher quality equipment.  Armor, and bow are his highest priority, but he would also like a nice sword if he can find it, and afford it.

Zemzelett looks a bit puzzled at Quelten’s question. “Quelten,” he says, putting a hand on the cleric’s back, “no one is going to call you an ‘arrogant noble’ for taking the initiative in looking for ways to get us home! I certainly won’t. And I, for one, agree that we should do something about the captives in the old mines if we can.

Remembering the events from the morning, the half-elf frowns for a moment, and continues. “Tell you what, take me with you. Car'Sel gave me a great lead on where to find a map of the area, so I need to get it anyway. From the looks of things, they only speak their dialect of common, Dwarven, and Draconic. I can, at least help with Dwarven. That way, I can take the blame for ‘arrogance’ should it come to that,” he winks at the cleric.

I’ll go around with you for a couple of hours and see what we can find. Lead the way!

OOC: For timeline purposes, this happens after Zemzelett’s conversation with Car’Sel, but before his interaction with the boys. The "going behind everyone's back" for the greater good ties in perfectly with the chaotic good alignment I envisioned for him. I know I went dangerously close into lawful good with that stunt the previous night, so probably a shift into less-lawful territory is warranted! :D

Car'Sel has not responded about the pearl or the map, but I'm going to assume here that he provides him with a map, or at least a place where he can find a map of the area.

For ease of interaction (eliminate the need to do translations), I’m giving Rilbur control of Zemzelett for whatever task he has in mind that needs any kind of dialogue, since it doesn’t seem like Quelten can speak any of the common languages in the village.

The naive half-elf knows enough about social situations to detect sarcasm when it it is glaringly obvious. He cheekily decides to reciprocate the gesture.

Launching in a deep Elven bow, he speaks in a reverential tone, with a face that's barely holding in his laughter, "I am glad to be of service, milord. Shall we go?"

OOC: Go ahead and take control, Rilbur.

Abram spends the day getting his armor repaired and putting a new edge on his blades. He also questions everyone he can about Dalest the cunning in an attempt to garner as much info as he can. While doing that he also speaks to a couple of the guards to find out if they have a sparring area and if so attempts to get permission to use it. If granted he seeks out Reld and D'nareth and asks either to spar with him. Whispering to D'nareth that he would like to test Relds fighting skills. 

(OOC if they do spar I will leave it up to Kyle to play out the fight, assuming they would use wooded sparing swords, and no armor Abram will not hold back and will attempt to land some serious bruising hits on Reld. Abram wants him to get angry and stop showing off.)

Eghas gathers the group together, and begins to speak to them. "I have found out some information about the mine we found. First off, it has been hampering the trade caravans coming to this village, as we know. It is also attacking other. Most of the kids in the orphanage came form those caravans. Now, the guards on those caravans were mostly untrained 'swords' that were not guilded. And perhaps one or two guilded people. Car'Sel has offered us two warriors to go with us if we decide to attack the mine. Now understand, the caster we faced was supposed to be one of the more powerful ones, and he was not much.

I really think that we should take out this threat. Not only would it help this village that was kind enough to help us, but we may also find some other things down there that may help us figure out how to get home. I don't know. All I know is there is a threat there that I really think we have the ability to take care of."

He takes a moment to look them all over, then says, "What say you all?"

Abram thinks for a minute. "The Trail is getting cold, I understand the village needs help to clear out the mines but as I all ready mentioned I am in chasing a criminal. We will have to return this way after I make capture or kill him. Of course my question is why if we can handle it why hasn't the town guard gone and cleared it out?"

"mainly because they can not spare the man power.  The hand full of guards they have here are needed, here.  unless the creatures at the mine attack the village itself, they don't have the manpower to take it out.  Also, i think this would be a great time for the youngsters that have decided to not stay here, to get some experience, that way they can be a better help to us when we go hunting your criminal.  As far as your trail going cold.... i don't really think that is an issue."  Eghas smiles

"Well don't leave us hanging, Eghas," Quelten complains.  "Taking this group out is definitely a good idea.  It's the right thing to do, it will gain us the local's gratitude, and provide some much needed opportunity to practice working together.  That doesn't give you free reign to tug on Abram's strings like that.  Why exactly is the trail not going to go cold?"

{{ OOC:  Shouldn't you have had to wait for Kyle to give you information? }}