In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

Quelton, there are things similar to what you are used to at home, but nothing made there. Evewn the lades are different, a bit more slender and slightly lighter weight, whould the blunt weapons are lonnger for more laverage when hitting, but that makes them a little harder to handle, espceally for those who are smaller and/or younger

1. Tiger Book taken from the female elf: the book is Illusion magic
2. Snowflake Obsidian Earring taken from the female elf this is Abjuration magic
3. All the magic potions and oils, assuming they belong to any school two oils are necromancy, so are five of the potions. one of the potions is conjuration the last three are divination magic
4. All the magic scrolls: two of the scrolls can be easilly identified by a wizard as they are wizard scrolls. first one is (3rd level magic Missile and Ray of enfeeblement 3rd level) the second scroll is (cloud of Daggers 3rd level, Knock 3rd level, Darkness 3rd level, and Darkvision 3rd level)  the other scrolls are all of protecion from energy 5th level- these are desined to be useable by anyone. as with any scroll, once used the spell is gone.

Note: new bow stinges/extra bow stings can be bought for 7 vipers each

Abram looks over Eghas and zem's shoulder. "Hmmm Interesting Idea except I would switch ME and Elanfal here in the two wagons and if we don't have two wagon Eghas use some of the coin to rent one. Also Switch D'narenth and Innil and Reld and Queltin. Once the ambush happens the fighters can use the mobility and wight of the horses to aid them and the range combats could use the wagon as a raised firing platform." Just my two vipers worth of thought. When do we head out Eghas?"

Hearing Abrams' comment Innil speaks up. "I can shoot from a horse just as well as from a wagon but the heavy fighters would do better with horses if they are used to it. I will go where you think I can do most good."

"Oh, Eghas and anyone else with a longbow we might want to pick up some spare strings before we go. I think they can be bought quite cheap. I plan to get a couple for me. Anyone want me to get one for them?"

{Action: Run buy spare bow strings for all who want them.}

"I cannot guide from inside a wagon." D'Narenth tells everyone. "I am good on a horse or on foot. Mounted, I am much more mobile and will be of more use to you, when the inevitable ambush occurs. And occur it will." At this, D'Narenth lifts the last of the kegs and places it within the wagon.

He turns and looks at Eghas. "As Abram asked, when do we leave?"

"Sir Abram," Zemzelett addresses the huggable human in Dwarven, "I will of course defer to your superior expertise in gnoll tactics.  But please allow me to explain why I placed you all in these positions.  

Sir Innil is out in the open because although he is a fighter, he is wearing studded leather armor which can easily be hidden by fine clothing.  He doesn't look as threatening as Sir D'Narenth.  It is true that Sir D'Naranth can't guide from inside a wagon, but I'm sure we all know the way back to the pass," he grins.

"Why Reld and not Quelten?  Although both are wearing heavy armor, Quelten is less threatening than Reld. As for you and Elan'fal, I am sure we both know who looks more dangerous," the half-elf winks at the man.

"I want to put on a performance that we are nothing more than a group of merchants who foolishly believe that the gnoll threat has been eliminated, so that's why the least threatening are out in the open.  I WANT to tempt an ambush because it will thin their numbers once we go into the mines, which is our ultimate objective.  So we can't look too strong because they may decide not to attack after the loss of their spellcaster, and we can't look too weak either because they might suspect a trap and just keep away. We need them to hit us and not hole up inside their cave, because that will make clearing the mines a lot harder.

Oh, and I'm not planning a ranged battle.  I'm planning on surrendering; let them come to us to take us prisoner, then we spring the surprise.  It's awfully hard to fight from range when they have good cover positions, even with superior mobility from horses.  I'm also not sure the horses can make it up the ambush positions since it's quite rocky there."

Noticing that there are two wagons have been prepared for their ruse, Zemzelett shows everyone the second formation and broaches a pressing question.  None of the wagons are covered - the plan will only work if the heavy fighters cannot be seen by would-be ambushers.  Is there any tarpaulin available?

Notes:
  1. Kyle confirms two wagons, but no cover - we'll need some.  
  2. I'm not sure if we can get mechanical advantages while on mounts, unless you took the Mounted Combat Feat.  
  3. Bear in mind - horses have only 10 AC without any barding (which none of them have) so the gnolls will shoot at the horse first rather than the heavily-armored rider.  Our group should be able to armor the horses respectably - there is enough in the group funds to armor five horses with Ring Mail (120 silver per horse, +4 AC).  Not fantastic, and makes them not stealthy, but at least their survivability increases.  If we can finagle the village to giving us barding discounts, all the better :)

... So we can't look too strong because they may decide not to attack after the loss of their spellcaster, and we can't look too weak either because they might suspect a trap and just keep away. ...

Oh, and I'm not planning a ranged battle.  I'm planning on surrendering; let them come to us to take us prisoner, then we spring the surprise.  It's awfully hard to fight from range when they have good cover positions, even with superior mobility from horses.  I'm also not sure the horses can make it up the ambush positions since it's quite rocky there."

"By all the Gods, No!" D'Narenth says. "To think that this was their only spellcaster is folly. We already know that this was merely their best spellcaster, which by and of itself means there are others. We surrender and are bound by another less able caster is where your plan is deficient... There will be no surprise, except what they have in store for us. No, I will not take such a chance."

D'Narenth looks coldly at all of them. "A few Gnolls, Goblings and Kobalds were taken by us. That does not mean we have weakened them to the extent you, little brother, seem to think. No trading party would venture into the pass, less armed, until they know for sure that the pass is in fact safe." Scratching his eyehorn, he continues, "While our foes may be weakened, we have no intelligence as to how much they are weakened.

"If our 'caravan' is not attacked, then we can assume they have been weakened to a point that they are hesitant to attack such a lightly armed party as we are. At which point, since we know where their mine entrance is, we can double back to attack them.

"I counsel caution, by not assuming more than is actually necessary." D'Narenth now looks directly at Zem. "Nor will I hide inside of a wagon, where I am mere meat for the taking. That is my final word on that part of your plan."

"But..." Zemzelett whispers quietly, "You are not going to surrender. I am. The rest of you will just hide in the wagon for a surprise attack when gnolls come to take me captive."

Still, it is evident the dragonborn doesn't care about hiding inside a wagon. The bard is a little hurt at his plans coolly dismissed as "folly" but he hides it pretty well. Helping to strap the tarpaulins to the wagons, the half elf takes his place at the driver's seat of the lead wagon.

"Zem, you've fallen in love with your plan," Quelten sighs.  "And while it's a good plan, falling in love is blinding you."

"Rule one of battle, the plan never survives contact with the enemy," Quelten recites.  "Corollary, if the enemy is doing exactly what you want them to do, look for a trap."

"You're trying to build up your plan to be more and more effective, which is good, but the plan you're building up starts requiring the enemy to do as you want.  It starts requiring everything to go right."  Quelten shakes his head.  "A stupid enemy is a gift from the gods, and we have no evidence, yet, that the gods are in a giving mood.  In fact, if you think about it, the fact that we're here certainly suggests at least some of the gods aren't in a forgiving mood."

"So lets focus on maximizing the possible benefits of our little counter-ambush, and try to minimize the risks.  And to do the first, we really should get a move on.  We do not want to get to the pass when it's dark out!"

Upon hearing this, Zemzelett's pointy ears, which he inherited from his mother, which was until this moment pointing straight up, became limp and pointed to the ground. If anything, anyone who looked at him very carefully would immediately be reminded about a puppy dog whose favorite chew toy has been taken away.  But this time, Zemzelett manages to suppress his disappointment, calling upon his best acting abilities.  

Forcing a very convincing smile on his face, he says, "Let's go then. Every second we tarry puts the gnolls' captives in greater danger!"  His performance was quite persuasive, too! (Performance check: 22)

Leaping to the lead wagon, he gives the cleric a hand up, and keeps the convincing smile on his face as he takes the reins and prepares to lead the caravan to the pass.

Innil returns from a quick trip to buy 4 bowstrings in time to hear all the discussion about the plan and to see Zem's disappointment.

"One of you like Quelten or D'Narath can use my horse and I will ride in the wagon with Zemzelett. I can hide part of my weapons close and help Zem with his song."

As he says the last part Innil pulls out his flute to show Zem. "We can practice for the act we will do when we get back home."

Innil pulls off his bow, quiver and one sword keeping the superior sword on. He stows them in the wagon within reach and climbs on.

"I'm ready to go."

Quelten resisted the urge to growl.  If he wanted to feel like he'd kicked a puppy, he'd buy one and then kick it!  Zem's transparent attempts to hide his feelings were starting to get annoying.

"Hey, buck up," Quelten tried sweet reason.  "It's a good plan, you just started falling in love with it a bit too much."

His spirits lifted up by the prospects of having a flautist accompany his little rendition of "Our Little Merchant Party", Zemzelett's fake smile turns into a genuine one as he animatedly shares the lyrics and melody with the kind Elf Fighter.  Soon enough, strains of the song start to emanate from the wagon, with the bard's voice supplemented by his viol and Innil's flute.

http://upload.jetsam.org/sounds/Never%20Split%20the%20Party.mp3

Sheet Music for the Chorus: 

Little%20Merchant%20Party.png

"All this talk is tiring me, no matter what we plan it will change as and when we engage the enemy, and Zem....don't be so easy to become sad, we didn't say we don't like your plan, now just tell me where to sit, wagon or horse and let's leave." Elan'fal says.

Read looks like he is about to slit his own throat at hearing the back and forth. "How about I go up, gang my axe on this side of the cave and tell them to come out and surrender or we are coming in without any want to that a prisoner?' otherwise we let whatever comes out, hit us, we kill them like the mutts they are, and we move in and take out the trash?"

Vorador puts his hands up to his head and rubs his eyes. He walks over to the wagon sits on the back and yawns. "Can someone just tell me what you want me to do and let's get this going if we are going to do this? From everything I have seen since the fall of Old Port is no plan is worth a wad of snot after the first few arrow are fired anyway. Besides, we really don't know anything. How about a few of you south types snags worker and find out how many are going to try to kill us the second we enter the cave, caves we know nothing about, and they know real well..."   

"Over hereeeeee, Vo!" Zemzelett sings out to his fellow half-elf. "Plenty of room in the wagon and it'll be safer for you than riding out in the open!"

"It's also less drafty in here!" He adds with a snicker at the scantily-clad half elf who was standing in nothing more than a loincloth.

{{OOC: Wooo, new installment of Kandric! Note to self, set up an IFTTT on Kyle's Wolfs Nest page.}}

Zemzelett signals Reld towards his warhorse, which will be bringing up the rear.  He then acknowledges Elan'fal by pointing to the other wagon, and then returns to his engrossing activity of crafting a beautiful flute/viol duet with Innil.

The irony is not lost on the bemused bard that when he was outright making suggestions, others were shooting him down, and now that he is being silent, his advice is being sought.

(OOC: I am completely lost and Have no idea what the intention are here. Can someone please clarify what Abrams role in all this is please)

Abram makes sure his armor is secure and his weapons ready and watches as the rest of the group prepares. Still very confused as it seems everyone has their own plan and no one is listening to each other, this venture is doomed as it stands. With a heavy sigh Abram joins the rest in preparing the wagons almost like he is building his own coffin. If it is the will of the gods that he die doing this then at least he will be joining his father soon.