In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

"We don't have much, actually," Zemzelett says.  "We've sold just about all the trade goods.  I can show you what we have left, outside of the things in your packs.  As for other resources, Lord Car'Sel can probably answer better - he's already pledged two dragonborn fighters to help us in the mine."  Bringing the remaining group members over to the wobbly wagon, Zemzelett points out the things that they have.

1. Eight horses from Old Port: seven draft horses and one warhorse for Reld.  Three horses have saddles on them: Zemzelett's, Quelten's, and Vorador's.
  2. Abram's horse
  3. Wagon, with wobbly wheel that needs fixing
  4. Large wooden chest, which D'Naranth offered to the group
  5. 1 set of Alchemist supplies
  6. 1 crowbar
  7. 1 glasscutter
  8. 1 grappling hook
  9. 2 healing kits
  10. 1 set of manacles
  11. 2 sacks
  12. 1 set of woodcarver's tools
  13. 6 potions yet to be identified (Elan'fal is holding 2 more and Zem is holding 1 more)
  14. 3 magic oils, yet to be identified (Elan'fal is holding 1 more)
  15. 4 magic scrolls, yet to be identified (Zemzelett will try to identify them that night)
  16. 1 vial of strange oil

Abram listens and then gives his input on the plan.

If the wagons are ambushed it doesn't matter where everyone is we will be quickly surrounded. 
We have three heavy fighters Abram, Reld, and D'nerenth (should he decide to help) assuming the Dragonborn are fighters then 2 more Heavies
We have one medium Fighter/healer Quelton
The rest are light fighters/ Ranged 
I would suggest D'Nerenth or Abram at the front with the other on one flank and Reld on the other flank.
Quilton I know you would prefer to be in the front but I think we need you more centrally located, Your the one that will keep us alive the attack will more than likely come from the flanks not the front. So Quelton you will need fill help hold the flank until the other two heavies maneuver. .  Once the ambush starts if we hesitate or stall we will lose. We have to counter attack hard and fast.

Just my advice but I will go along with whatever plan you come up with,

Abram goes to get some sleep 

{{  OOC:  While others are talking about going to bed, my personal timeline only put this in the afternoon.  I think our times have gotten disjointed.  There's still a good chunk of time left before bed, at least for my char.}}

"We'll need to get the wagon checked.  The wobbling wheel may not be an issue, but I'd really rather not have a wagon that falls apart on us tomorrow," Quelten nods.  "We should also look at getting two more healing kits.  If we're going to split up, each group should have at least two.  Zem, I'll pay for those out of my purse if you'd do me the favor of doing the shopping.  I suspect you'll know how to find them cheaper than I could."

"Other than that, I think we have our plan set," Quelten nods.  "Zem, you and I should get to searching the market.  And I believe Innil said he was joining us.  And after we're doing with that, I think I'm going to try and find a sparring partner.  If anyone needs my help with anything, like fixing the wagon, feel free to ask."

{{Action:  Search the market for information that can lead home -- trade goods whose source can be identified, maps, names of nearby kingdoms or cities that might be recognized.}}

{{Action:  Purchase two more healing kids, to be distributed among the party.}}

"No," Innil laughs slightly, "It doesn't carry loads. It is a black or brownish metallic rock that is magnetic. I need it to use a mending cantrip which would make fixing the wagon easier. Maybe we can find one to buy before we head back." Innil drapes his arm over Zem's shoulders and whispers, "Please drop the sir stuff, Young One. There should be no such formalities between friends."

"Oh!  As a spell component!  I thought you were gonna put it on the axle to bear heavy loads. I've seen them sell pouches full of funny stuff at the market, 25 silver pieces. I bet you can find what you need in one of those component pouches!"

"Si--- I-Innil," Zemzelett stammers, habits and his mother's training being hard to break, "You know how to Mend?  Can you take a look at this cracked pearl?  I had Reinlor try to patch it up, but the spell failed.  He says there's a kind of limit, like you can only fix a break that is no bigger than a couple of inches?" The half-elf brings up the pearl for the Elf to see, desperately wanting to have the right components to cast Identify spells in the future.

{{ OOC: Jelkor, components without a specific price and that aren't consumed by the spell can be substituted with a component pouch (Basic Rules pg 49) or spell focus.  Spell foci can be musical instruments (for bards), holy symbols (priests and paladins), crystals, orbs, rods, staffs, and wands (for wizards), and mistletoe, totems, wooden staffs, and yew wands (for druids).  Eldritch knights take spells from the wizard list, so pretty sure some kind of quarterstaff can act as your focus. }}

"I'm not sure about the size but I do know it can only mend one break or tear at a time. Maybe there was more than one crack. If I can find a couple of lodestones I will take a try at fixing it along with the wagon, Young One."

{{OOC: Not sure if that would work for an Eldritch Knight; what would he use as a focus?  Also Zem should pick up a difference in how Innil says 'Young One' now(as noted by the switch to caps during our 'pm'ed exchange)}}

At the market, Zemzelett starts pointing out possible purchases that can help the group.  The half-elf shakes his head and regrets giving half his coin to the Tiefling.  Although Eghas assured them that the group fund would be pooled for their use, he didn't even acknowledge the half-elf's purchase recommendations, and instead went off to sleep. 

"Sir," Zem starts, catching himself too late, "I mean, Uncle Elan'fal, I think there are some things you can use here - a component pouch for your spells, and a healer's kit for emergency use.  30 silver for both."

"Uncle Innil, I see some stones that look like the ones you say lodestones look like in this component pouch.  You can probably use it for Mending, and another Healer's kit for emergencies. If we're going spelunking, we should get a lot of chalk (1 bronze each) to mark off where we went.  A climber's kit (25 silver) won't hurt, and a bullseye lantern (10 silver) and a flask of oil (1 copper) is probably lighter than the torches you are carrying about.  We already have two ten-foot poles, but I also think a 10-foot ladder (1 copper) won't hurt - it's really heavy but we might be able to use it to go over open pits."

"Lord Quelten, you should get a signal whistle (5 bronze) like the one I have, and a case or two (1 silver each) for the map or our spell scrolls."  His eyes falling over a vial of poison (100 silver), which unfortunately is too expensive for him to buy, the Half-Elf asks the young noble in a conspiratorial whisper.  "I heard stories about how well-acquainted some of the nobility are with the use of poison.  What is your stance on dipping our arrows and bolts in the stuff and shooting it at gnolls?"

"We can disguise ourselves as merchants or as unthreatening temple acolytes.  So either we get around four sets of fine clothes (15 silver each) or all of us will wear simple robes (1 silver each) over our armor."

Moving on towards the armor shop, the half-elf points out various pieces of armor, and suggests that they should buy some barding for some of the horses in the front.  It wouldn't do for them to lose horses to gnoll arrows, should the creatures have a fondness for horse meat.

• Padded armor: costs 20 silver, +1 AC to horse, disadvantage on stealth checks.  Unarmored horses have 10 AC.
  • Leather armor: costs 40 silver, +1 AC to horse
  • Hide armor: costs 40 silver, +2 AC to horse
  • Ring mail: costs 120 silver, +4 AC to horse, disadvantage on stealth checks.
  • There are more, but we probably can't afford it.  The cost is PHB armor prices x 4.

Loitering by the weapon shop, Zemzelett's eyes nearly bulged out of his face when he looks at the wares that the merchant had just unpacked.  Two well-crafted hand crossbows (75 silver each), just like the ones he coveted back in Old Port, except these were not silvered. The half-elf quickly counts the coin he had on hand, and concludes rather quickly that he would not be able to afford even one of them, much less two.  Sneaking one last glance at the crossbows, the half-elf morosely rejoins the rest of his fellows.

{{ OOC: The hand crossbows are a damage and range downgrade from the light crossbow.  Mechanically Zem is better off with what he has.  This is just here for character fluff - Zemzelett always wishes he can strap on a hand crossbow on each arm, and go pewpew.  But to do that, he'd have to forego +2 charisma score and take the Crossbow Expert feat when he reaches Level 4. }}

Innil sighs at Zem's use of the word 'uncle' before his name. "Those are lodestones, Zem, good eye. I'll get those and a healer's kit but I think we already have pitons, rope, hammer, a grappling hook to use for climbing. Elan'fal, you and I don't need lanterns to see if the others want them let them buy them." Innil gets the lodestones and healer's kit.

Innil sees Zemzelett eyeing the hand crossbows but he doesn't have enough coin either. Innil wracks his brain for something to do to cheer up Zem as they head back.

At five copper a piece, the signal whistle was a no brainer, as was a stick of chalk.  So much of a no brainer Quelten picks up a signal whistle and chalk for each party member and distributes them.  He also grabs an additional healing kit for distribution to another party member, to ensure that each of the two groups they were splitting into would have two kits.  If they had to split up, he wanted to avoid any single points of failure he could.  And Zem's request makes sense, so he spends on a scroll case to protect the groups scrolls.

Hearing the question on poisons, he smiles.  "I have no moral objection to the use of poison as a weapon of war, to enhance the deadliness of a weapon.  My moral objections would extend to it's use as an instrument of assassination, and I have a practical objection to it's use by our company in that it costs too much.  It's useful, but I don't think it's the appropriate tool for what we're doing.  Just too expensive."

Quelten fingers a set of fine clothes and sighs.  Changing the coin from his homeland was going to hurt, but it was the only way he could afford it.  And damn it, he wanted at least one nice thing to wear.  Just in case.  Looking over at Zem, he smiles and makes the decision to buy two sets instead.

{{ Action:  purchase signal whistles and chalk, seven each -- distribute one to each party member except Zem (who already has them) but including Reld. }}

{{ Action: Purchase an additional healing kit and place it in the communal reserve, with the intention of ensuring it's distributed so as to ensure each group has two such kits.  Purchase the scroll case Zem has requested. }}

{{ Action:  Purchase two sets of fine clothes, one to fit him and the other as a gift for Zem.  Because he's out of local coin, Quelten will have to exchange his home coin for local.  He'll exchange a single gold coin to local silver, and if that doesn't make up the difference between his pockets and the necessary funds (don't remember exchange rates, sorry) he'll exchange as much silver as needed. }}

{{ Still-Pending action:  Search marketplace for any clues towards home.  Maps, trade goods of identifiable origin, even coinage, etc etc }}

{{ Still-Pending action:  Search for a map of the local area.  If one is found, purchase a case for it. }}

The young noble was going on a spending spree -- and spending way more coin on others than he is spending on himself.  Zemzelett stealthily deposits fifteen local silver coins (asps) in the cleric's pouch while he wasn't looking.  

Sleight of Hand Roll: 6 + 5 = 11.  I don't suppose that beats Quelten's passive perception?

He probably didn't do a very good job of it, because the young cleric turned to look at him and raised an inquiring eyebrow.  Mumbling about seeing the coins fall out of Quelten's pouch, the Half-Elf escapes by engaging in last-minute equipment purchases, as it appears that the merchants were about to pack up and leave.

He hastily points to some gloves and bought them from the tired-looking Dwarf minding the stall.  It stands to reason, at least for the half-elf, that if they are going to be gallivanting around in mountainous passes and old mines, some form of protection for his delicate hands would be helpful.  He also chooses a sack, and tosses in two more protective armwear - one for Quelten, and the other for Vorador. 

Actions:

1. Give Quelten 15 silver (asp)
  2. Buy 3 pairs of gloves (approx. 1 asp each so spend 3 asps) - estimated price only - not specified in the PHB, but is part of a climber's kit.
  3. Buy 3 sacks (3 bronze)

Zemzelett blanches and almost seems to wilt under the cleric's severe stare. Quelten was accusing him of picking his pockets, an act of thievery which is completely dishonorable and execrable for someone of his breeding. The thought of now being branded as a thief was almost too much to bear.

There was in fact an incident where the very young half elf did in fact try to abscond with another's belongings. He had seen a wonderful bauble: a bottle of soapy water with a lid that connects to a loop of wire. When dipped into the mixture, a film forms across the loop. The prodigious application of breath to this film creates a bubble - the bigger the breath, the bigger the bubble.

Like all ragamuffins, the young Zemzelett naturally has to have this little toy. He did not have the coin, and his parents were not wont to spend their coin on a "consumable toy". So the little half elf s stole it from the store while the proprietors were distracted.

He did not think it through very well, for the moment he blew his first bubble, his parents discovered the theft. His mother was livid, and made him return the bottle to the store and apologize to the owner. That night, he got the biggest whipping of his life, and he swears some of the scars on his butt cheeks are still visible to this day.

But no matter how physically painful the lash of his mother was, the severely disappointed look of his father hurt him far worse. Oh, the man didn't lift a finger or even say a word. He didn't have to, the look he had spoke volumes. It's the same look on the young cleric's face.

"I---I wasn't stealing, honest. I-I was just putting some of my coin in!" He protested weakly.

{{ OOC: Hoisted on my own petard! Rolled a 3 on persuasion, heh. }}

{{ OOC:  You're lucky.  Weak persuasion isn't that big a deal in this scenario, with verifiable data at hand.  And Quelten wants to believe, so it's a lower bar anyway.  And that dice roller is cool, but I like the random.org random number generator too much... :D }}

Quelten checks his purse.  "Why on earth would you try to sneak money into my purse?" He laughs.  "A more traditional approach to giving a gift would be something like this."  Quelten reaches into his pack and pulls out the clothes he'd just purchased.  "Here.  Just thought you'd enjoy having these."

Quelten shakes his head and laughs.  "And buck up a little.  Flowers wilt.  Grown boys shouldn't."  His grin hopefully takes some of the sting out of his words.  "We all make mistakes.  Try to face them instead of using a cringe to run."

{{ Action:  Present Zem with the clothes. }}

{{ Action:  Persuade Zem to feel a little better.  Rolled a 4...  not that great :D }}

Zemzelett heaves a huge sigh of relief. Being on emotional tenterhooks since the cleric accused him of stealing from him, all the tension just drained out of him, and the half elf seemingly deflates like a balloon in front of the amused cleric.

The last straw was when the boy presented him with a set of fine clothes to wear. The somewhat vain acrobat has had to swallow all pretense of livery and fine upbringing during the harrowing days spent alone underneath the sewers of Old Port. In truth, Zemzelett could scarcely remember, much less rationalize, how he managed to survive all by himself for so long a time given his relative frailty.

Seeing the set of noble clothing presented freely to him finally prods the half-elf into breaking down to silent sobs, muttering thanks and singing accolades to the finest scion of the Beurden of Beurden.

Finally wresting control of himself, Zemzelett pulls himself up, reaches into the sacks he bought, and take out a set of gloves he purchased. "Thank you, my friend. You have no idea how much that means to me. I know this isn't much by comparison, but please take this."

Deciding that he has done what he can to help, the half-elf hands over the gloves to Quelten, and bades farewell to Quelten, Innil, and Elan'fal.  He trots off to the orphanage to give the boys his gifts for them, study the scrolls, and read Pevel's diary.  It has been a tiring day.  Who knows what the next day will hold?

{{ OOC: I have a tendency to munchkin. Thus, I use that forum's dice roller. Any post made in that specific location cannot be edited or deleted. :P }}

with all the shopping and trading going on, it is well into the day before you are all situated.

The Dwarven enclave offers some help. First off the are willing to give you some poor quality iron ore they have stored in a back section of a cave. It came from a particularly bad section of the mine, and no one has bothered to smelt it yet, since it would take more work than it is worth. However, boxed up in wooden crates and a few kegs, with just a little bit of it in each will make the load look heavy and more valuable. The kegs would be a primary target for raiders since Dwarven ale is not only worth some good coin, it is something the raiders would want for themselves. This should, hopefully, make a better target than a wagon loaded with light weight goods.

Finally they give up two junior miners, both just barely into adulthood, but with some guard experience and two junior Dragon-kind guards. Their thought are this will also add to the look of the load being more valuable.

Vorador still does not look terribly happy, but does whet he can to help get things organized and Reld is only too happy to help load the wagon with the heavier stuff.

It is about an hour after high sun before you are ready to move out.

Zemzelett wakes up, fully refreshed and ready to go.  After saying goodbye to the boys and helping to load up the lead wagon, he puts on the fine clothes Quelten bought for him over his studded leather armor, and uses his disguise kit to make himself look more of a merchant.  Requesting a packful of roast meat from the villagers, the half-elf stows it on the front seat of the wagon.  He has two reasons for taking the food - first, to eat while traveling, and second and most important of all, to mask the scent of all the heavily armored fighters who would be hiding inside.

All preparations appear to be complete as Zemzelett sits on the lead wagon.  Food in front of him, friends at the back, what more could anyone want?  A song for the occasion, perhaps?  The bard has prepared a song for this very occasion, and he will be singing it very loudly in Dwarven as they near the pass, in an attempt to bait an ambush.

We are riding past the old mines - a pretty scary spot

Some gnolls were here to rob the passers-by of what they've got

They ambush without mercy; and no one can get through

And the poor souls they had captured found their way to some gnoll stew...

But then they made a blunder, about two nights ago

They hit the wrong party, who was a fearsome foe.

A group of bold spellcasters took out those evil gnolls

Their mangy heads were brought to Gast, all mounted on tall poles...

So that's why, our little merchant party

Travel through this pass to earn ourselves a lot of money

Without those gnolls to harm us, we should be safe and sound

As we travel with our goods to the next town.

We have some bolts of clothing, both linen and fine silk.

We have a ton of food: a lot of cheese made from goat's milk.

We have some veal and venison, prime cuts of top notch meat.

We have all cuts of poultry: ribs, keels, breasts, and even feet.

We have a lot of veggies; I don't like them at all

But we've a fine selection, all greens both large and small

Our carrots are so rich and nice, they'll let you see at night

Our spinach is so good that it will buff you in a fight...

So that's why, our little merchant party

Travels far and wide to earn ourselves a lot of money

Those bandits have been cleared out, we should be safe and sound

As we travel with our goods to the next town.

And in the middle wagon, there are riches to be found,

Gemstones of all complexions freshly dug up from the ground.

We've diamonds, sapphires, rubies, both polished and uncut

How much they sparkle! Sure we'll earn a fortune from this lot!

We have a lot of kegs here; the finest dwarven brew

It’s worth a lot of coin, and it tastes so delicious too!

The dwarves distilled it from a bumper crop of barley malt.

I am so happy we won’t worry of some gnoll assault!

Off we go! Our little merchant party

As we travel with our trade goods to the next town.

Onward ho! Our little merchant party

Yes, we travel with our trade goods

So, we travel with our goods to the next town.

As we travel with our trade goods to the next town!

Song butchered: Never Split the Party.

MISC. NOTES FOR THE DM:

• Underneath his fine clothes, Zemzelett is wearing good studded leather armor.  He has a signal whistle tied around his neck, and the magic abjuration bracelet is placed around his right wrist.
  • Zemzelett is equipped with a rapier and two daggers.  The rapier is sheathed, and the sheath is attached to his belt.  The daggers are concealed inside the fine clothes.  Two toolkits: a healer's kit and a set of thieves' tools, are also strapped to his belt.
  • Three objects are lying at the wagon floor just below Zemzelett's feet: his light crossbow, a quiver of 20 crossbow bolts, and a ten-foot pole.
  • The bard is carrying his viol in his hand.  He has stowed the bag of caltrops and a piece of chalk in his armor pocket
  • His backpack is carried by a mount.  The backpack contains a disguise kit, a dice game set, a dragonchess game set, a 1-day ration, 3 sacks, a waterskin, a whetstone, Pevel's diary with six pages torn out, the unidentified potion, a pouch with 48 Old Port guard insignias, a cracked mirror, a letter of promotion, a set of traveling clothes, a bedroll, and a piece of soap.
  • Zemzelett will be sitting at the front of the lead wagon, besides either Elan'fal or Quelten.  He will not be hiding.

{{ OOC:  Since we're jumping to the next day, my text actually starts the previous afternoon, when we were still shopping.  I'm still pending the results of my market search, however!  Was there anything in the market that might be recognized as coming from home, or goods he knows are from a given direction from home, etc etc etc.  Maps would be a plus, too -- either one showing home, or even just one covering the local area.  }}

After finishing his shopping, Quelten debates trying to find someone to spar with.  He really should, but it's been a long day, so he instead goes to sleep.  The next morning, he prepares for battle, carefully going over all his gear to check for anything that needs attention, then studying a new selection of spells.

As the wagons prepare to go, he takes his place and settles in for the journey.

Spell List:  Healing Word, Cure Wounds, Bless, Sanctuary, Detect Poison and Disease (+ domain shield of faith & divine favor)

Innil got up from his trance early and took the time to go over all his weapons making sure his bow string was in good shape. As soon as the morning bell sounded Innil grabbed the lute and headed to the wood craftsman's house hoping he had finished the flute. By the time Innil arrived the craftsman had just taken the flute from one of his children to inspect the final polishing; it was beautiful. Although It was traditional to haggle over the price Innil explained that they were leaving to try to clear the pass and mine and he didn't have the time. Innil handed the lute to the man saying he hoped it was enough (it was much more than the man's original estimate).

Innil held out his hand in hopes the man would accept the offer looking him right in the eyes. The man hesitated a bit then took Innil's hand in his sealing the deal. Innil took the flute and hurried back.

Innil approached Zemzelett and was pleased to see him in his fine clothes. "Looking good, Zem! Now where do you need me?"

Zemzelett greets Innil with a bow, and shows him his strategy planning document:

One Wagon Configuration

Pass-1wagon.jpg

VISIBLE: Lead: Innil and Dwarf Miner, Wagon: Zemzelett & Quelten, Rear: Elan'fal, Dwarf Miner, Village Fighter

HIDDEN: Village Fighter, Reld, D'Naranth, Abram, Eghas, Vorador

Two Wagon Configuration

Pass-2wagons.jpg

VISIBLE: Lead: Innil and Dwarf Miner; Front Wagon: Zemzelett & Quelten; Rear Wagon: Elan'fal, Dwarf Miner, Rear Guard: Village Fighter

HIDDEN: Front Wagon: D'Naranth, Reld, Eghas; Rear Wagon: Abram, Village Fighter, Vorador