In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

Abram shakes his head. "I will say it again, I WILL NOT be party to taking children into combat. Should any of the children go I will stay behind. We made a deal about D'nareth and I Guiding you that deal was the children stay behind, If you break the deal now your on your own. If you know something about Darest the Cunning Eghas I would very much like to hear it."

Abram, your sparing with those willing to see how you fight turns up a mixed bag. Most of the guards are proficient at best. A couple of the dwarves and two of the Dragon-kin are quite formidable. A couple of the more senior Dragon Kin watch and judge the sparing and you actually find them to be tough on their scoring for both you and those you are facing. You come out with more than a few real burses and a black eye.

Quelton,

magic potions can be tasted, I have yet to hear anyone trying that. One problem you need to consider is if it is poison there very well may be some detrimental effects.

Other magic items can be tested by wearing them/using them. You could find out who made said item or who last owned it and used it. They could tell you more about the item in question. Finally you can find a 100 silver coin in value pearl and have a wizard with Identify cast to find out. Life is not easy and sometimes you either take a risk or play it safe.

There are no children willing to go into the mine unless you consider Reld or Vorador children. Vorador actually seems reluctant to go, but says if everyone else is going he isn't about to have anyone tell him he is too afraid, and will go. Reld is more than willing as long as there is some kind of magical back-up with a light source.

Once the village realizes you might be thinking about trying to clear out the mine, one of the elderly dwarves comes and offers you a 50 asps per person who comes back should you actually succeed in either clearing the old mine or doing enough damage to dive off any remaining hostiles. There are also some rewards offered for return of families in some of the larger settlements the caravans had come from, but getting those could take time. Car'Sel offers to send out runners, collect any rewards and keep them here should you wish to move out before the ransoms can be paid. 

Abram clears his throat and adjusts his sword belt where it is rubbing against a bruise from his sparring earlier. "If we are doing this we should go in the morning most of the creatures are more nocturnal and the morning would be easier"

*OOC*

magic potions can be tasted, I have yet to hear anyone trying that. One problem you need to consider is if it is poison there very well may be some detrimental effects.

Other magic items can be tested by wearing them/using them. You could find out who made said item or who last owned it and used it. They could tell you more about the item in question. Finally you can find a 100 silver coin in value pearl and have a wizard with Identify cast to find out. Life is not easy and sometimes you either take a risk or play it safe.

But I did :)

Innil agrees to the plan; he had commissioned a flute from the wood craftsman and this will give him a chance to get it before they leave. Innil then approaches Zemzelett, "Are the superior sword and longbow still available? I would like them if no one else has claimed them, please."

Quelten addresses Abram.  "A deal was made, and we will of course keep the deal.  If you insist the children remain behind, they shall.  I suspect Zem has simply let his zeal for the important duty of mentoring others blind him to his other responsibilities.  He is enthusiastic in all his duties.  I imagine the reminder of our promise will be sufficient to sway him."

Quelten pulls the magic amulet they'd looted off the bug bear out.  "There are two other things I'd like to discuss.  The upcoming battle is likely to be difficult, and stress our resources to the limit.  We should not leave any unused if we can avoid it.  There is risk, but I think one of us should see if wearing this amulet is helpful in the battle to come.  I would volunteer, but between the ring, my new mace, and the magic of my god I am already rather well equipped.  I don't want to be greedy, but I am willing to take the risk.  It goes hand in hand with my duties as a priest.  I belong at the forefront of battle, standing shoulder to shoulder against the darkness," Quelten inclines his head towards Reld, "or between the weaker members of our party and harm."  This time Quelten's head inclines towards Zem.  "Risk, as they say, is my business.  I will yield to the group's decision, however.  I will only add that, if the amulet proves beneficial, I would not consider my experimentation with it to be in any way a claim of ownership.  It will remain available for any to claim, once we discern it's purpose, or before."

"I've thought on the matter, and unlike the amulets we took of the goblings, I doubt there is any significant risk to this amulet.  It was worn by a powerful foe in a powerful battle, and it seems unlikely he would have willingly worn something dangerous to himself.  There is risk, yes, but he was clearly in command of the force we engaged.  The amulet is more likely to be a source of his power and control than a source of power and control over us.  There remains risk, but we go to a dangerous battle.  As an adventuring band, we should embrace risk, especially when reason suggests the risk is minimal."

Eghas looks at Quelten like he's lost his mind.  "Quelten.  one has to wonder if you have had too many strikes to the head lately."  He walks over to Quelten and takes the amulet from him.  "Until he know what this thing does, NO ONE wears it."  ((Waits to see what he, or anyone else does.))

Zemzelett watches the goings on with a bemused look on his face.  Finally finding enough courage to speak up, the Half-Elf speaks, his face a mask of determination.

"Joking about being struck on the head was uncalled for, Sir Eghas.  I happen to agree with Quelten.  The orc creature with the horn (OOC: not a bugbear, Rilbur :D") that wore that amulet was quite formidable and needed several strikes from Reld, Barett, and Vorador to take down. Yes, there is no way to identify it at this point, but a creature as intelligent as that monster wouldn't wear anything that would harm him. We need to muster every resource we have for tomorrow - we need to examine that amulet.  All four spell scrolls.  Taste all nine potions.  Try all five magic oils.  Not to mention the eagle-head longsword, the wolf bracelet, the tiger book, the obsidian earring. Even that spellbook you captured."

Stepping forward, he adds, "I am the most expendable in the group - you need fighters, you need healers, you need damage dealers.  Not..." he pauses, "Not someone who shoots himself in the foot and fails just as expected.  Yes, I overheard what you said to Sir Innil when we were riding to the Swamp of Bones," he turns to Elan'fal, "and you were right all along.  I even failed in fixing this cracked pearl, which could have served as a focus for identifying items."

"Therefore," he speaks with resolve, "I volunteer to try out the amulet and the abjuration bracelet Sir Elan'fal obtained from the elf who was killed last night."

"Maybe you should have listened more carefully then, Zemzelett. We did not worry that you would fail but that you were frail. You were very skinny and from our own experience in the sewers we knew you had very little to eat. That is why I made sure you could ride more comfortably and Elan'fal gave you part of his rations. Yes, you did shoot yourself in the foot when trying to use a weapon you weren't trained for on uneven terrain in a fight you have never trained for and I blame myself for not making sure you could use the crossbow. You have been very helpful in support with inspiration and know from experience you have an excellent illusion spell." Innil smiles as he says that line. "You took care of the kids and you have been a friend to Quelten when the rest of us were forgetting that as good as he is he is still only fourteen."

Innil turns to Eghas, "But I agree with Zem's assessment. I do not think the amulet is harmful or that creature would not have worn it and either of them could try it."

Quelten's lips  slowly collapse into a thin line.  "There is risk, Eghas, but if you were listening I described how it was a manageable risk.  What is your fear?  What logic guides your statement?"

"As for you," Quelten turns to face Zem, "while I appreciate the sentiment, I would disagree with letting you try both items.  One per person.  Two at once is an unnecessary risk, and would also answer no questions about what a given item does.  We couldn't detect which item caused any given effect that way.  And while your fumble with the crossbow was rather unfortunate, frankly I've seen worse failures.  Shooting yourself in the foot was pretty bad, but it's easy enough to do with a crossbow.  You didn't manage to fire straight up, and if I hadn't managed to roll away..."  Quelten shook his head.  

"Need i remind everyone what happened the last time one of us 'played with unknown magic'.  If i recall correctly, and i do, it was not the most pleasant of experiences.  one does not experiment with magic they do not know anything about.  it's not only, not wise, but frankly, if this were to do something harmful to ANY one of us, that would be one less person that we have in our group.  While i may agree that we need every edge that we can get.  simply taking some found magical item and going 'hey lets see what this does', is not exactly wise.  Yes, the creature that wore it did not seemed harmed by it, but is it not likely that it could have been made specially for it, and anyone else that puts it on may get hurt or even killed?  That's just one of the pitfalls, and i am sure there are MANY others that i do not know about."

He lowers his voice and speaks directly to Quelten.  "And Excuse me for actually worrying about what happens or could happen to a friend."

"Actually, you're going to have to refresh my memory," Quelten frowns.  "Unless you're conflating errant stupidity with experimenting with unknown magic.  And the two really are totally different things."

"You have good arguments as to the possible dangers, but that's all they are.  Dangers that applied just as much to this ring," Quelten holds up his hand, "which so far has turned out to be utterly benign.  Is there a risk, yes.  But it's a manageable risk.  That matters."

"As for caring about your friends..."  Quelten sighs.  "I applaud the sentiment.  But if you carry it too far, it becomes counterproductive.  We're going to have to take risks to get home.  And not using these in the fight ahead is also a risk."

"This needs to be a group decision," Quelten takes the amulet.  "As far as who gets what, I believe the bracelet was already identified as being somehow abjurative.  It's possible it would overlap with the ring,  so I'd recommend that be the one Zem tests.  We know the bug bear wore both amulet and ring, so presumably they won't conflict."  Quelten sighs.  "And before anyone says anything, yes I'm making assumptions.  I know I am.  But they're fairly reasonable assumptions that give us a better chance."

"Though I will admit that another detail is that this was worn by a sorcerer," Quelten hefts the amulet.  "It's possible whatever secrets lie within will only function properly, or best, for another arcane spell caster.  We don't know."

Quelten sighs.  "It's a risk, but we need the resources.  Though... perhaps we can mitigate the risk.  Didn't the identification of the bracelet come from a detect magic spell?   Could we use that on the amulet?"

Zemzelett cringes noticeably after Innil suggested that he wasn't trained to use a crossbow.  In fact, he was proficient with all simple weapons, and even some martial weapons such as hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, and shortswords. He had to train in them - the Troupe occasionally enacts plays with battles, and his mother insisted on him being trained to use weapons competently.  He was, of course, not about to venture that knowledge.  Better keep his mouth shut and be thought of as untrained, than to open his mouth and be thought of as an incompetent failure!

The half-elf wilts even more after Quelten suggests that he would have been hit by the errant crossbow bolt.  Throughout the duration of Elan'fal's 10-minute ritual, he stands there looking at his foot.  Once the ritual completes, he will ask for the bracelet and put it on.  After which he will go out with Quelten to look for information, say his farewell to the boys, attempt to decipher the scrolls, read more of Pevel’s diary, and go to sleep.

GM Comment

the ritualistic detect magic reveals the amulet to be abjuration magic, (I actually think I said this in an earlier post) Detect magic does not tell you what the item does, but does give you the school of magic.

End Comment

Off to the side Vorador shakes his head, "How is it you all got along so well in the sewers when we were nearly starving, hiding in the dark and had to live in filth, but now we are clean, equipped and now you all act like you are enemies of each other. This is stupid. How can we ever become any kind of an adventuring group is everyone keeps acting like the children you all took responsibility for down in the sewers? I was one of them, and at the moment I am starting to feel like I might be among the most adult-like here. You all were better off acting like a team eating rats then you are now. Quelton, you have done nothing but berate anyone who disagrees with you. Why? What are you trying to prove? How about you start being the Noble cleric you showed yourself to be during the siege of Old Port?

Zem, you are a great entertainer, you also know spells and enough to fight. You already fit in, stop trying so hard to make friends. We already know and trust you.

Eghas, you had a plan, and no matter what anyone says or things, it worked... Maybe not the way anyone expected it to, but we got the ones we are after away from those who held them, we are in one piece and you have shown leadership. I'd prefer to be here where it is warm than in Old Port anyway, so thanks for getting us here, even if by some fluke of magic and a power greater than any of us can fully understand.

Innil, your bow is beyond valuable to us as is the knowledge you have gained for living as long as you have. How about you tell us, from life experience what you think? Should someone try on the magic? What does wisdom of longer life tell you? I know I would try it on in a heart beat if given the chance. I'd love to have a magic charm of some sort and would take the risk. To me it seem like less of a risk than going into some deep dark mine! We just got out of the sewers and now you wantot go back under ground... To me that seems more crazy then trying on some enchanted neck charm!

Elan'fal, your spell casting is a life saver. Yet you really don't seem to join in the group like you want to be part of it! You almost seem so standoffish some times. Like you are waiting for everyone else to make a decision for you. What are your thoughts about going into the mine? Am I insane for not really wanting to go down there?

Reld snorts, "Damn, kid, why don't you just all tell us what you really think?"

Vorador flips off Reld, "Not like you are saying much either. You know combat, what do you think."

"I don't, kid," Reld snickers, "I fight and I am good at it. Thinking is for people with skinner arms and bigger heads than me!"

Vorador rolls his eyes, and glances back at the Dragon-kin and the newcomer who helped in the fight at the pass, "You two, you know the land, and I get you wanting to track down your bounty, everyone wants to get paid and keep their word, but wouldn't this be easier with a group to help you? Help get us on the right foot, here, and let us be of some assistance. He then speaks in Draconic to D'Narenth. "You said something about needing to travel out of your lands to prove yourself. Why not do it with us? what have you to lose, other than some sanity?"

With that Vorador tosses up his arms. "You all figure this out and come get me when you're a real group. I'm going to go find some comfortable clothing for this weather. I feel like everyone keeps staring at my butt and legs with me only wearing boots and a loin cloth!"

*** OOC: Kyle, you mentioned the magic longsword was Enchantment and the magic bracelet was Abjurative. No mention about the tiger book (if it's magical), the snowflake obsidian earring, or the amulet from the horned orc (which you now confirm as Abjuration). Does Car'Sel have anything to say about the pearl and the cartographer/map? ***

After the ritual, Zemzelett takes the abjurative bracelet and puts it on his right hand. He cracks a grin at Vorador. "Pretty good analysis, Vo, though I only knew all of you for just three days, didn't see you guys in the sewers. Anyway, let's get you covered up - you're the one who wanted to display his studly body in the first place! Maybe the studded leather I replaced with the "good" one will still fit you?"

After giving his old armor to Vorador, Zemzelett faces the group. "Guys, I didn't get much sleep last night and I'm a bit tired now. After Quelten and I get some information and maps, I'm going to try and read these scrolls and rest up early. I'm all for saving the prisoners from the mine. I know how it's like to be helpless and fearful for your life, and it must be ten times worse when you're a prisoner. I'll be good to go tomorrow!"

D'Narenth had stomped away from both Eghas and Abram earlier. He had settled down and sharpened and oiled his weapons, inspected his mail for damage and fixed it where appropriate.

As he had listened to the translations of what everyone had to say, he kept shaking his head. When Vorador finally addressed him, in his own tongue, He stood up and walked over to the lad.

"Vorador, it was the copper dragonborn that said I had to make a journey. Those are the traditions of his clan. Not those of the Silvers. I proved myself in close combat, back at the pass.

"It was Car'Sel who invoked the ancient tradition of the Oath Giver. I was foolish enough to agree with him, so I am now bound by my own words.

"I would travel with Abram, to track the blackguard, Dalest, if only to see Justice. I would like to think all of you would follow. By following, you would learn to act as a co-ordinated group. There is no doubt in my mind that it would be a dangerous trek. You would all learn more battle-skills, before we are done.

"Car'Sel has already dispatched my report to my townsfolk, along with my request for their aid in ridding the mines of our common enemy. They will be here within another day or two, at the most."

D'Narenth now turns to the entire group and spits, before he continues. "It is therefore most troubling that this group of adventurers would attempt to go into the mine, ill-equipped and ill-prepared. My oath does not bind me to a fools errand.

"Eghas, the trail does indeed grow cold. Despite the so-called help you would seemingly employ. Remember, should you do this thing, should they get out of your sight, they are mine."