In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

"Zem, you feeling OK?" Quelten asks, concerned.  "Did someone curse you or something?"  Quelten shakes his head.  "Never mind, obviously you can't explain.  We'll look into restoring your speech when we rest."

"Anyway," Quelten turns back to Vorador, "I'm glad to hear we have a place to stay for a few nights.  We come bearing gifts, in the form of a spellcasting gnoll and two goblings that were supporting him.  Think the dwarves will be interested in interrogating him about the gnollish infestation near the coast?"

Zemzelett flashes his most brilliant smile as he addressed the dwarven guard nearest to him in the Dwarven tongue.

"Rally ho! Sir, I do apologize for our late arrival. On the way to this fair town, we fought off a group of gnolls who ambushed us at a pass next to an abandoned mine. Aye, it was touch and go for a while; we had to send the young ones ahead after they got hurt. But we beat them. Their boss was downright tough, and a spellcaster to boot. But we got his spellbook, his focus, and...", Zemzelett's face crinkles in disgust before continuing, "His head, all their heads actually. The wagon we brought with us has salvage from their camp. We also found this around the necks of their gobling helpers who were acting really weird. Have you seen the likes of it before, sir?"

The half elf holds up the amulet he took from one of the goblings' neck, and shows it to the guard with an inquiring look on his face. It was clearly evident that Zemzelett is hoping for some sort of a reaction from the guard.

Elan'fal looks at the Gnolls, "I am...sorry, but you know too much and you will not speak more, so know this will give me pleasure but it must be done." He takes out his dagger and slits their throats before moving out with the rest of the group.

When they arrive in the village Elan'fal greets Vorador and the others.

"Talarc, Vorador I am glad you are all okay and the others too, Is there some quiet place, room that I can rest for a while? All I need is a few hours of trance and I'll be as good as new."

Elan'fal then looks at Zem, "Zem if you would please ask them if there's any bounty on Goblin and Gnoll heads." He says and point to their wagon having placed the heads in there.

The Dwarven guards nod and motion you into the gate then quickly bar it. The bar is wood with metal bands and the inside of the gate is actually Iron plated. Once the gate is shut, a Copper colored Dragon Born moves up and speaks in Draconic, which Voridor translates to his common and I am assuming D'Narenth translates for Abram. "Welcome. I am known as  Car' Sel. Your young party members are safe and staying in the old temple of Vindayin. It is late so I ask you do not make too much noise As I take you there."

Car' Sel looks at the heads, "If you will let me hand these over to the guards, I am sure I can get you a bounty." He points at the head of the Gnoll spell caster, "That one has been a serious thorn in our side and has led raids against more than a few of our trade wagons. For that one, you will get a nice bounty. If your young Half-Human friend has not told you yet, we have few rules for visitors, but the biggest one is you may draw no weapons while inside the walls without permission. We do not allow any fighting other than the occasional fisticuffs over some stout ale. Weapons beyond fists are to defend this village not to be used on those inside. Other more standard rules should not need to be verbalized, but I will. No thievery, no cheating, no harm to another villager, no sex without permission, and obey the commands of the guards should we tell you anything, which is not likely as long as you follow the laws."

He waits to see you all give him a nod of understanding. (I am going to hazard a guess, and assume you also hand over the heads)

Car' Sel then turns to one of the Dwarves and speaks in Dwarven. "They have done us a service by killing the Gnoll Gan-sun. They will be treated as honored guests. We will not take their weapons and we will treat them as merchants. The goods in their wagons may have been ours at some point, but the laws of Battle Salvage means it is now theirs. No one is to try to claim ownership. Now take these heads to the Elder's chamber and collet their rewards. We will get it to them at morn-feast if they are awake, if not, they can retrieve it when they wake. In the mean time bring up more guards to man the walls. The Gnolls are not going to be happy about losing their spell thrower."

The Dwarf gives a hard nod, almost a bow, "As you command Lieutenant."

your group is led into the village, actually it appears to have once been quite a fortress, but that was a very long time ago. The village itself is surrounded by the stone wall, many of the stones taken from a crumbling fortress partially built into the side of a bluff. There are few structures made for non dwarves. The Dwarves you do see this late at night here all have darker skin than most of you are used to seeing and there beards and hair are about 80% red and black in color. Most of the village is asleep, but a few still wander the fifteen short streets and there is a mule/donkey stable open. with a sign in Dwarven and Draconic saying it is an inn.

Car' Sel takes you down past the fifteen  short streets of the main village.  Over half of them are nothing more than roes of rock and wood hovels of fifteen by twenty feet each, give or take a few. They are not in great condition, but definitely suitable to live in. Many only have thick woven cloth hanging over the door frames. A few that have real doors appear to be a bit nicer and larger.

The second to the last street has a few much lager buildings and one has several large tables out front, but they have been carved out of stone as have the benches on both sides. A half dozen large stoves line the back side of the long tables. Car' Sel points to this area, "Morning and evening meals are served here. As welcome visitors you are welcome to join us for both meals, but you need to sit at the far wooden table unless invited to one of the community tables. If this happens you may only sit at the community tables you have been invited to, no others."

Finally, the last street sites right against the bluff and most of the buildings are store fronts built into the base of the bluff. Here you can see signs (again in Dwarven and Draconic) for a general store, a cooper, a cobbler, potter, furniture builder and further down this street other signs tell of other businesses. "Here you can buy and sell. Prices are a bit high because so many caravans have been hit as of late, but there is still plenty of goods to be had. At the end of this street are the mines. You are not permitted to enter. Only the miners and the elders may enter the mines. There is an arch over the path. Do not go under it and you will be fine.

He then stops and points to a wooden structure with a cloth covering a hole into the bluff side. "Should you wish any of the children to stay here, we have an orphanage. They will be taught skills and how to read and write Dwarven, Draconic, and Antargeth- the human common tongue of the land. There are currently three Halflings, five Elves, two Gnomes, seven Dwarves, two Dragon Kin, and nine human children we take care of, most are younger than the boys you have with you and all but two are hear because we rescued them from the Gnolls and their boss, a slaver know to us as Dalest the Cunning. The other two, one Human boy, one Half-Human boy, were found wandering not far from here, physically abused, lost, dehydrated, in strange way too heavy ragged clothing, speaking strange tongue, and near death. We have no idea where they came from and they have not been hear long enough for us to teach them our languages yet. This would be a safe place for your boys should you or they wish to stay. Please understand we will not let them leave should they wish to stay here, nor will we keep them if they refuse to stay. However, they will not be allowed to change their minds should they decide to stay until they are adults or you come to retrieve them."

He then turns away from "Merchant Street" and takes you down a side path that leads into a natural path deeper into the bluff. You enter a second gate and enter an even smaller but much more heavily fortified section of the village. here there is a small keep, and the walls here are 15' high and considerably thicker. The gate has an iron portcullis and a thick iron bound and iron plated back wood gate. there are also a pair of 18' towers with murder holes. Once past this gate you enter into a much nicer section of the village. This area has elements of Elvin construction and even a few statues of Elvin maidens and warriors. Behind the keep you are led to a rather beautiful structure made of stone, but it has been cut to look like a log cabin. As you get closer you realize it is both, as the cabin is made entirely of petrified wood. Out front is a fountain with a depiction of the goddess Vindayin with her hands open. Water spills out of holes in her open hands and into the base of the fountain where there are beautiful golden colored fish, some of them quite large.

For those who can read Elvish, you have a hard time since the inscription over the door of the "cabin" is in an older form, but it roughly reads "Dedicated in brother-ship to the fallen Dwarves who helped defend the Elvin refuges of the Nyte Glades: year 161 SRA."

"Feel free to take refuge here. You are granted two free days as of now, but I am willing to bet the elders will grant you considerably more time should you wish to stay and as long as you obey the few rules we have here. Have a good sleep and if you wish to ignore the morning meal bell, realize this is also the village's call to work so it does get pretty noisy in this town."

Please make sure to convey our thanks"  Eghas says to Vorador.  "I think we all need some sleep, and to heal.  in the morning we may want to talk about what to do.  also, i would liek to see the two human children he was speaking about, the ones that do not speak the language. from the way he described them, they may be from the lands we know.  If not, at least it's something to look into.

Quelten leans over near Zemzelett and whispers quietly, "No sex without permission?  I wonder whose permission we have to ask, and why."

More loudly, Quelten comments, "Two of those foundlings he discussed, the ones who don't speak the local tongue, perhaps we should talk to them.  They may be from home."

Abram stops short. "Pardon me lieutenant, did you say Dalest the cunning? I am under orders to bring him back to warmon dead or alive. I intend to follow those orders. Do you have any information on where he is headed."

Note: This is a transcript of a private conversation Zemzelett has done with Quelten.  I have modified it a bit to take into account the situation, but it is otherwise presented with original dialogue of myself and Rilbur intact.

Zemzelett purposely hangs behind until he catches the young cleric's attention by tapping him softly on his shoulders. "Listen, Quelten. I need to talk to you. About earlier today." The half-elf looks awkwardly at his own feet, unsure of what to say next and how the cleric will take it.

Deliberately slowing his pace to match Zemzelett so they can talk in relative privacy, Quelten turns to face Zemzelett, with his eyes looking haunted.  "What type of talk are you looking for?" he asks quietly.  "I am a priest.  I could preach at you about the sin of suicide, if you like.  Or try to help you deal with the deep emotional disturbance that lead to the attempt.  But I suspect that's not what you're here about."

Oh no, it’s not that,” Zemzelett blushes.  “I am sorry about that too.  I wasn’t thinking properly.  I thought we were stranded in time, and have lost all hope.  The thought of killing someone too.  You know, I’ve never killed anything before,” He says almost in a whisper.  "But now, I have something to live for."

But...” the half-elf gulps as he attempts to summon up the courage to say his apologies, “But that’s not what I want to talk to you about. I---

A tear has made its way unbidden down the side of his cheek that’s bruised by Elan’fal’s slap.  It stung, a bit.

Y-you saved my life, and after all the mean things I said about you and your family this morning!

Quelten stares into the distance, weighing his response.  "I could say many things, and all of them are true.  I am a priest, and it is part of my job, part of my calling, part of what makes me who and what I am, to seek to aid others.  To comfort the distressed and counsel the confused.  To protect the innocent..."  Quelten lets the sentence trail off.  "This is all true, and would have called me to act."

"I could argue that you are a comrade in arms, and that I would do the same for any of our company.  I could argue that as a Beurden of Beurden, it is my job to lead, follow, and protect.  I could argue that I am, or at least I try to be, a decent human being, and that any man worth the word would have done the same if they could."

"All of those are true.  All of those are sufficient.  But..."

Quelten looks down.  "I did not act out of pride," he says even more softly, "but out of shame."  He stays silent for longer than he originally meant to, lost in thought.

"Shame?"  The half elf's is indignant.  "I have not seen any of your behavior that would lead to shame!"

"If there is someone who should be ashamed, it is I!  I, who tried to take the easy way out.  I, stayed in the shadows during both combats.  I, whose will to live was so weak, a dragonborn's ruse easily shook it. While we were traveling towards the Tower of Bones, I overheard Elan'fal tell Innil to keep an eye on me because I may fail.  I now see that it was an accurate concern."

More forcefully now, the half-elf continues.

"Who was it that charged the orcs back in the Tower of Bones without a care to his own well-being, and prevented the horned one from escaping with the wizard? It sure wasn't me!"

"Who was it that had his deity ripped from him, only to be replaced with one he knows nothing about, and yet kept himself together and managed to save his cowardly comrade?!  It sure wasn't that other cleric!"

"Who was it that charged up these rocks, despite knowing that climbing up would be extremely difficult and that there were spellcasters about?  I saw you get hit, Quelten, and you carried on as if it was nothing. I could not even shoot something without hitting myself in the foot." Which still stung a bit, but not as much.  Zemzelett makes a mental note to reward the cleric initiate's magnificent work.

Just noticing that his voice had started to grow too loud and the others were starting to overhear, the half elf takes a moment to try and calm himself down.

"Who was it that could have prevented the invasion of Old Port?" Quelten asked softly.  "Whose mercy let a murderer walk free?"

He raised his eyes to meet Zem's gaze.  "That would be me.  My mercy, my folly, my shame."

"Whatever blood is on your hands, is on mine thirty-four times over," Quelten continued.  "And then more, for every soul lost in the occupation of Old Port.  And the gods only know how many more times it'll be on my hands before this is over."

"You?  What could you have done?  You were caught in the raid, just like all of us were," the Half-Elf looks at Quelten.  "Had you tried to intervene with your brother, you would have been killed, and I would be dead now."

"No, my friend.  The deaths in Old Port are not on your hands.  I was wrong with what I said earlier.  The sins of one does not... should not... fall upon the shoulders of kin."

"Oh, but I did intervene with my brother," Quelten says softly.  "After I found out he was tormenting Shela'arin, my father was all set to throw him in the deepest, darkest pit he could find," Quelten sighs.  "And then Jeraul begged me for another chance.  An opportunity to redeem himself somehow."

"And I am the idiot who convinced father to give him that chance.  The outpost was on the edge of the edge of the kingdom, in the middle of nowhere.  It took two weeks before anyone even noticed they were dead, slain to the last man.  Except, of course, they weren't.  The last man showed up in Old Port not six months later.  As one of the invaders."

Zemzelett looks inscrutable as he processes the information.  So the young cleric convinced his father to give his wayward brother one last chance. Instead of repenting his ways, Jeraul forged an alliance with the Orcs, and orchestrated the attack on Old Port.  He expected to be angered by such a revelation, but strangely enough, the half elf is not. 

"My friend, I cannot blame you for this, no more than you can blame me for the elf's death.  As a great bard once said, 'Of all acts of mortals, repentance is the most divine.  The greatest of faults is to be conscious of none.'  You only had forgiveness and love in your heart.  It is neither folly nor shame that flows through your veins, but love.  You only had forgiveness and love in your heart when you interceded on his behalf."

"If anything else, know this.  All the blood that flowed in Old Port fall solely on your brother's shoulders.  I personally do not hold you responsible for any of it.  And if I am able and you are willing, I would be honored to help bring him to justice."

After a bit, the half-elf lets out a chuckle.  "Look at us, among the youngest in the Brigade, and we act like the weight of the world is on our shoulders."

Quelten lets a small smile appear on his face.  "So, no more attempts to kill yourself then?"  He mentally praised himself for having just played the naive half-elf completely.

Zemzelett shakes his head, reciprocating the smile.  "On my honor.  The only thing that gets to kill me from now on are natural disasters, gods, demons, monsters, diseases, jealous husbands, old age!"

"Good," Quelten nods sharply.  "Though I'd rather jealous husbands weren't on the list," he adds with a deliberate dollop of sanctimony.

"No guarantees.  You know bards, right?  Totally scurrilous and irresistible!  Gotta maintain my profession's reputation, you know?"

Quelten lifts a finger to silence Zemzelett -- the dragonborn lieutenant was talking about the rules, about the need for chastity.  He leans over and whispers quietly, "No sex without permission?  I wonder whose permission we have to ask, and why."

Zemzelett laughs at the remark, suddenly realizes where he is, and puts his hands over his mouth, hoping that Car'sel would not take offense. 

Zemzelett makes it a point to track down Melirel before going to bed. Once he had the rogue's attention, he crouches down to say his piece.

"Melirel, although we were hired to bring all of you home, that is a long way from here. I will be honest with you - we are lost in a strange land, and I cannot assure you that we can book passage back to Old Port. In truth, as you have seen from the skirmish we had, I cannot even assure all your safety. It is a dangerous world, and you can get hurt, or worse."

"Now, you heard what the Dragonborn said. Should you desire it, all of you can stay here until you become of age. You won't be able to go home for two or three years, but you will be safe here. This is not an easy decision, so I would like you and your team to take the night and tomorrow to think it over. I am not asking you to decide one way or the other, and I am not asking for you to decide as a group. This is an individual choice all of you have to make."

Patting the boy on the shoulder, Zemzelett thrusts at him the three gobling shoes he scavenged earlier, telling him he hoped it would fit Reinlor, Talarc, and Gothan properly. The half elf then heads off to his quarters, only to be intercepted by Innil Siannodel.

Inventory: Give all three gobling footwear to Melirel.

Note: What follows is a transcript of a private conversation Zemzelett has done with Innil. I have modified it a bit to take into account the situation, but it is otherwise presented with original dialogue of myself and Jeikor intact.

Innil pulls Zem aside, and brings him to a more isolated spot where they can talk in private. "You seem to be better now, young one. Here is your dagger. No more foolishness, my friend. I have very few friends from spending so much time alone. I can't afford to lose one."  Innil hands over the dagger then stands awkwardly a moment before hesitantly putting his arms around Zem's shoulders having seen how much Zem appreciated hugs from Abram.

Zemzelett accepts the hug from Innil. This felt different however. His father was a large strapping man, much like Abram in build. Innil was slender and graceful, much like Zemzelett himself. But all the same, the half-elf liked warm hugs.  "You should not be so alone. You are a very nice being," the half-elf whispers, now switching to Elvin for the rest of his interaction.

Attempting to change the topic, Zemzelett goes off on a tangent.  "You know, Sir Innil, my mother's last name was Moonbrook. I have not noticed it until I translated it into Elvin for Abram, but that is the Sor'teth translation for Siannodel."

Innil let go of Zemzelett and looked him in the eyes. Seeing that Zem was serious Innil said, "Siannodel is a fairly common surname and your mother was a wood elf. I am a Moon Elf which is one of the High elves. Hmmm! However there was a story of an elf maiden that did some kind of great favor for someone in my family. She was given the surname Siannodel as an honor to her deed. Maybe that was your mother."

Suddenly Innil grabs Zem by the shoulders and grins hugely, "Fair warning young one I am not ticklish!" Then he gives Zem a light cuff on the side of his head.

A soft but audible snap! can be heard as the elf fighter cuffs Zemzelett at the side of his head. The bard's eyes roll up to the top of his head, his body goes limp, and he slowly crumples into the ground. A crimson liquid was trickling out of his nose.

Innil's mild shock quickly turns into alarm. "Zem! Zem!" He yells as he kneels next to Zem. Innil starts checking Zem's body for wounds knowing he didn't hit hard enough to cause this.

"Come on, Zem, wake up!" Innil shakes Zem continuing to try to find what is wrong.

The first inkling that Innil has that something was not adding up was seeing Zemzelett's fingers moving slightly on the ground, and clutching a bit of fleece.

The second inkling was that despite the vigorous shaking he gives the half-elf, the blood dripping from Zemzelett's nose continues to trickle down, instead of spreading around as it ought to.

The final inkling he has is when the lad's mouth curled into a mischievous smile. All doubt was removed when the half-elf's eyes snapped wide open - the fighter had been tricked by a pair of minor illusion cantrips.

"Fooled ya! Fooled ya! I made you looooook~~~~!" sang the half-elf.

Innil growls, "What!?...Why you little..." He stands with Zem still in his hands, lifts Zem up and tosses him into the air. Innil smiles with satisfaction when Zem lets out a little squeak thinking he will hit the ground hard but suddenly he is snatched out of the air and held tight by Innil. Zem realizes he is in more trouble than if Innil were really mad when he sees the wicked grin on Innil's face. Then it begins. Tickle torture!!

"No fair using your muscles when I don't have any!" the half elf gasps out in between bouts of uncontrolled laughter.

While no match for the fighter's brute strength, the young half-elf notes to his satisfaction that his dexterity is more than a match for Innil's grapple. The slippery half-elf eventually wriggles out of Innil's grip, and does an acrobatic flip that places him on the fighter's shoulders. Finding his way past the fighter's studded leather armor, he gleefully tickles the elf's exposed armpits with the lightest of touches.

Innil laughs heartily. He really isn't ticklish but he is having fun. Something he hasn't had in way too long.  "Try this!" Innil grabs Zem's feet, lifts him up and gives a small toss. Then Innil does a half squat so Zem can land on his thighs; his hands clasp Zem above the knees supporting him as he stands angled out.  Finally Innil flips him around, catches him by the waist and gives Zem a tight hug. "Thanks, Young One, that was fun! Now go get some sleep."

"Wow, that was amazing! When I meet up with my Mom again, I am so going to ask her to let you join our act!"  Reluctantly disengaging from the hug, the half-elf beams at the elf, brushes away the dust that got on their clothes during the roughhousing, and takes the dagger. Trudging back to his quarters and not even bothering to take off his armor, the exhausted half elf goes to sleep the moment his head hits the pillow. It has been over a hundred days since he's slept in a bed.

Car Sel glances over at Abram, "Dalest the Cunning? You want to go after that freak you better have more than kids with you. But if you really want to track him down, he has a base of operations somewhere inside of Gonder. He also has close ties with the city state of Kelmethor east of there on one of the isles in the Gulf of Shadows. Kelmethor is where he ships out slaves to other kingdoms and rumor has it he, or a member of his family is on the council of Kelmethor. Go after him at your own peril."

Abram nods and thinks for a second, "Yes perhaps I should go alone from here. Risking the lives of such you ones is not something I find appealing.  I can head out in the morning"

D'Narenth gives a slight bow towards Car' Sel, "Lt., all but Abram and myself are from a far and distant land, called "Old Port" by them. They appeared on the cursed beach, in that area called the wicked park. I was sent by my elders, from Yenib, to investigate the latest "rumblings" from there, and found them, along with what appeared to be a number of defeated and dead enemy."

D'Narenth paused, scratched an eye ridge and continued. "I've led them here, as the Tiefling would not be welcomed in my village, to trade and perhaps find a route to their homeland. I have determined that they are not a threat to our lands. They are somewhat leaderless, although at my insistence, they did select one to lead them... The Tiefling there, Eghas," D'Narenth points him out, "would be their leader or spokesperson.

"On the morrow, my oath to guide being fulfilled, I must take my leave and report back to my Elders, what I have found."

Car' Sel seems to roll his eyes. "Look, far be it for me to tell any of you what to do. However, every single time in recorded history that something has happened within the cursed lands, terrible things have happened. The last know rumblings from the cursed lands was followed by a massive Kobald incursion out of the wastes to the northeast. The one before that seemed to signal the Antagroth barbarian raids. These foreigners may have been sent to help deal with what is to come or my have just been caught up in the mess of what is on the horizon, but you also know, you took them under your wings and the laws of the ancients say you are responsible for them until they are capable of standing on their own. From what I see, they cannot even understand the human tongue of the land, let alone deal with the lands they find themselves in. Take them with you, guide them and let them know the lands they have been tossed into are not as uncaring as I am sure they seem at this point.

"Besides, if you are going to go against Dalest the Cunning, you will need help and lots of it. He is a power powerful man. I have to wonder if some of the rumors about him are true and you are actually chasing one of his offspring and not him."

He shrugs then turns, "And as far as getting word back to your village, D'Narenth, We can send word sine we trade with your people often enough. And looking at you, is it not about time for you to do Walk-about and earn your right of adulthood?"

D'Narenth smiled at Car' Sel. "Two Kolbald, three Goblings and mayhap a Gnoll or two... I'd wager that is enough to earn adulthood, even for a Copper." Without taking his eyes off of the Copper, he reverted to common, "Abram, the lieutenant is correct in one thing, we have taken them into our protection. I suggest we teach them our common and how to conduct themselves while they are here. If we be guides, then let us guide."

Still, without taking his eyes off of the Squam guard, D'Narenth says in darconic, "Eghas, get your charges bedded. If you are to be under our protection and guidance, then we must be ready to trade what you have for those things we will need on this journey. Dalest it seems is our quest. Consider what we will need, amongst yourselves, and at break fast you can discuss it with Abram and myself."

Assumes Elan'fal is translating the draconic to the rest of the group.

Abrams looked at the group. (In Common only) "D'Narenth some of them are just children, Wouldn't it be better to leave there here in the Orphanage. They will get killed out there especially if we try to chase down Dalest." Abram nodded towards Reld "He is young but looks like he can handle himself. The young Cleric could be helpful. The two Elves should have decent Bow skills, The Demonborn I am not sure of be he seems looks like he has a couple tricks under his tail. But the rest well they are just two young to be to be out in the wilds. If we head to Gonder I guarantee the first time we take our eyes off one they will be gone and will end up in slave camp as a love boy. Its just too dangerous for them and I cant take that risk with them. Perhaps we should talk with The Demonborn a bit an see what they are thinking but I remain firm on the youngest of them."

While you talk night passes peacefully, but morning comes early. The morning meal bell rings a full hour before sun-up and is loud enough to have you all reaching for weapons before Car' Sel comes in with a toothy grin, "morning meal, nothing more. I did warn you it gets loud quickly here!"

"You will be allowed fulaccess to the shop an hour after sun up. This will give the night shift minors a chance to shop without interference since they tend to be cranky after a night in the deep mines. Please remember, you may carry weapons but may not pull them within the walls."

You all did not get a full rest, but as long as you stay within the walls today and shop then bed down for the night here, you will have all your wounds healed and be full on spell casting ability. Those who get things back with a short rest, hove those abilities now. An the GM I need to know what everyone is going to do before I can do much else.

The night flew by so quickly, it seemed like Zemzelett was shaken awake by the bell mere moments after he plopped himself on the bed.

Rising up groggily, the half elf stifles a yawn as he rubs at his blood-shot eyes.  How he dearly loved to make more of an acquaintance with the bed, but alas it is now too noisy to sleep.

Getting up and stretching himself, the half-elf greets Car'Sel in Dwarven.

"Rally ho, Sir Car'Sel!  I thank you and the Order of Vindayin for the kind accommodations.  Is Brother Barett around?  I would want to meet with him before we part ways."

Sorrowfully, the half-elf looks at the ground before continuing.

"In the fog of war, an innocent Elf got in the crossfire, and she died by our hands.  Her corpse is in the wagon, and I would see to it that she gets a proper burial.  It is the least I can do to atone."

Quelten yawns as he gets up, but he cudgels his mind back into functioning.

For all it's brevity, the night had brought him a new clarity of focus and sense of purpose.  He'd made a sworn vow.  Now was the time to make damned sure that that vow was fulfilled, even if he himself felt.

He waits until a spare moment before approaching Eghas with his request.  "I have kept secret things that, I think, I now need to share.  Yesterday's revelations were too much of a surprise.  I needed time to think them through, to realize that certain secrets must...  not necessarily be revealed, but at least shared, within the group."

"I need a private conversation with our group.  Those who will continue with us, and the kids.  I..."  Quelten hesitates, then admits shamefully, "I very much do not wish Barrett to be part of that group, even if he were to change his mind and continue with us."

"I would ask that any who attend swear themselves to secrecy.  It doesn't have to happen right now, but...  soon.  Please.  You are our leader.  I ask... I ask your aid in arranging this conversation.  And it's privacy."

"I must speak of Shela'arin, Jeraul, and my family's shames."  Quelten hesitates, then quickly turns to leave.

Innil rises when the bell rings and takes care of his morning business before approaching Eghas, "Eghas, I put myself in your service this morning. I will do whatever you need me to do. If you have no need for me I will finish the shoes for the boys. Some of what they have now are ill fitting. Let me know if you need me."

Innil turns to the wagon and begins looking through the goods. He finds a superior short sword and replaces his damaged one with it; he also takes the wolverine pelt. "This will make a good lining for the shoes."

Innil then waits for Eghas' answer.

After breakfast, Eghas spends a bit of time talking with Barrett, then takes a little time for himself. Those that do see him would see him simply sitting, with his back to a tree, staring off into nothing. He is only that way for a few minutes when he nods to himself, then stands. He gathers the group together, all of them, save for Barrett. The children, the group that he came here with, as well as the two new people. Once they are together, he asks that those that can, please translate for Abram and D'Narenth.

"First, I would like to thank everyone for being here. I know it has been a rough several days, and being in a land that we know nothing about, has made it even more difficult. We've had our problems within the group, and several times we have fought amongst ourselves. That must stop. You have all agreed to place your trust in me as the leader of our group. Even though I do not know if I am the best choice for such a position, I will do the best that I can. However, one of the things I will insist upon, from now one, if you have a disagreement with someone in the group, do not let it get to the point of an argument. Bring it to me, and I will do what I can to solve the issue."

He waits, meeting eyes with every member of the original group, until they nod in understanding and agreement. He then starts to pace in front of the group. "The Next thing that I would ask is that every one of us place half of the coin that you have gathered into a common fund, this will be so that we can gather equipment needed for the group, as well as pay for things that we, as a group will use."

Eghas then moves over to the boys, and squats down to be on their level. "What I am going to ask of you will be difficult, but I have faith that you all can not only handle what I am asking, but do very well. I have spoken with Car'Sel, and he has agreed. If you are willing, he has agreed to allow you to stay here, finish your training, and make sure you are well taken care of. While you are doing this, we will be counting on you to learn the languages of this area, learn the ways of this land, and perhaps, figure out a way to get us home."

He then stands up, and looks to the rest of the group. "We will be doing the same while we are out with our guides. Between both of our groups, we will more easily find what we are looking for. A way to get home."

He then moves over to Vorador and Zim. "Our guides feel that you both may be better off staying here with the other children. I disagree with him, as you have both proven yourselves. Not only in battle, but also as people that can be relied on, and trusted. I would like you both to come with us." He then backs up and looks at everyone again. "Any one of us has the chance to stay here, where it is safe, and do what we can to learn the same things we are asking the children to do. Personally, I do not want to stay in one place. I feel that I will be able to best serve our goals by traveling with Abram and D'Narenth. However, this is a choice that we all have to make for ourselves, and no one will think any less if you choose to stay. I swear to each of you, on the only thing that I really have, my honor, that, I will not be going home with out coming back here, and taking each and every one of you back with me, if that is your choice."

He pauses again meeting everyone's eyes. When he is done he speaks softly. "So we all have a choice to make. A choice that is personal to each of you, and one that I will not make for anyone other than myself. I also think that requiring a decision now would not be proper. So for now, all I ask is that you take half the coin that you have gathered, and allow me to make sure that the children have what they need to survive here. Starting with proper clothing, proper foot wear, and if needed, proper weapons."

He then steps back, and allows anyone else that wishes to, to say what they wish.