In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

Zemzelett continues to gather the loot in one pile and dig a grave. While he was doing so the scary dragonborn hissed at him for some reason but he understands nary a word. Perhaps D'Narenth mistook him for Vorador, or he just looked to hiss for some reason? Zemzelett knows that snakes smell through their tongues, so maybe the Dragonborn does it too.  Well, no matter, the bard continues to meticulously take inventory of the loot.

Also, the noble cleric charged out and gave Zemzelett a withering glare. The half elf is flabbergasted as to why the human would hate him so. Was he still mad for what happened earlier? By rights Zemzelett has more reason to be angered by the actions of Quelten's kin. Or perhaps he was angry for not having received a bardic inspiration yet? No, that makes no sense, he was the very first recipient back in the Tower of Bones. These humans, the half elf sadly notes to himself, can be really petty sometimes.

Elan'fal translates to Dragon tongue what Quelten asked, then to Elvish hoping Abram knows the tongue. Then very calmly as he knows everyone is tired, injured or both and he doesn't want to spark another bickering match he speaks to Quelten.

"I agree with what you say, we do need information, and badly. Perhaps our leader can give us orders on what to do?" He says the last thing turning his head to Eghas.

"Oh, one thing I wanted to ask," He says to D'Nareth in dragontongue, "When we left Old Port it was the year 2337 SRA as Elves count it,  845 IS  as humans count it and Dragon Year 3879 PES as dragons count it...what year is now....please." He asked him hoping not to hear any...insane number.

"Zem, unless our leader gives you different orders can you please look after the kids, they seem to like you more and fear you less than us, as of yet." He asks Zem politely. He still has absolutely no idea what to do with the corpse of the she'elf that at least looks like a younger version of Zem's mother.

"Quelten you WILL calm your self right now!"  Eghas says harshly, from where he has been standing quietly watching what is going on, and listening to what everyone is saying, at least those he can understand.  He then takes a deep breath to calm himself.  "You obviously don't have half a clue what is going on here right now, so until you do, please stay silent."

He moves closer to get a look at the fallen female, but not close enough to get into the way of anyone.  He steals a glance at Zem, then sighs.  "When you can roll her over, i will not hide this from Zem, but perhaps he will not notice.

he then turns to Elan'fal.  "Calm my friend.  I know right now your temper has been pushed to it's limits, but Quelten does have one thing, at least partially right."  HE pauses as he glares at Quelten.  "While i do not think there is any nefarious intentions on the part of Barrett, we do need to find him and the other children as quickly as we can.  However, first thing we need to do is tend to our own wounds"  He glances back to Zem, "Both physical and not, before we can do any good for anyone else."

Zemzelett nods as the Sorcerer asks him to take care of the boys. He is in fact doing exactly that. He was hoping to find a pair of shoes or boots that would fit young Melirel, whose formerly-pampered feet seem to have gotten a bit scratched by his ascent up the rocks.  The dragonborn however was shooting dirty looks when he touched the kobalds.  Is he being serious - does he want to claim exclusive salvage to beings he kill?  He certainly won't last long in any adventuring party, that much Zemzelett is certain, for parties live and die as a group, and any selfish party members would find themselves abandoned very quickly.  A cleric, for example, would hardly be motivated to be the party healer should he not be entitled to a fair share of the spoils, and yet his skills are invaluable for the group.  In any case, it would be a shame - the kobalds' footwear would certainly be a good match for the boys' smaller feet.

The others were whispering about Barett having ill intentions.  As his co-conspirator in their flight, the half-elf felt duty-bound to defend the bossy cleric. "Hold, kind sirs. Judge Barrett not. His flight with the boys are both our plans. With our enemies distracted as they are, we felt it best for them to head towards the dwarf village, since two of the boys were hurt a lot. After that guy finishes his so called investigation, we should go to them. This place can wait for the morning when all of us are rested. It has been a long day.

Upon returning to his task, the half elf can't help but notice that the others are guiltily whispering his name and stealing glances at him, shaking their heads, and then looking at the corpse the human knight was examining. After he finishes tallying up the spoils of victory, the intensely curious half elf will certainly examine it next.  What on earth would an enemy assassin have to do with him?

Innil starts to bristle at Quelten's outburst then takes a deep breath. "First, we will not lie to Zemzelett and he is too intelligent to miss the resemblance. Next, Quelten, I did not suggest we take off with no scouting. What I do know is that I came upon one hobgoblin with two dogs. I killed the dogs but the hobgoblin took off. I foolishly followed after him and almost fell to my death when the floor opened beneath me. None of us should judge anyone harshly for we all have made mistakes this night. We need rest, healing and to get our party back together."

Innil sits down and examines his armor and his own wound.

Quelten takes Innil's comment with what good graces he can muster.  "Thank you for the intelligence.  What caught my attention the most was a rather angry desire to kill them all now, though I don't think it was you who suggested it."

That said, Quelten turns to Zemzelett, shaking his head in disbelief.  His mouth works for a moment, then he turns abruptly away, clearly shocked beyond belief.

Innil smiles humorlessly. "You are most welcome, Quelten! While I was not the one to suggest it I can understand the feeling if they are cooking humans or elves. If you have any healing left in you could you use it on whomever needs it the most?"

Innil finishes with his armor and starts checking his weapons.

* OOC: Guys, we're having a short rest. You can recover a max of two hit dice per level (mostly 2d8 except for Innil's 2d10), plus the extra d6 Zemzelett's song of rest is giving out. No need to do healing yet, Quelten.

What using a hit die basically means is Kyle throws an 8 sided die (d8), adds your constitution modifier, and that's the amount you heal during the rest. Song of Rest lets you add a 6 sided dice (d6) to your healing. Fighters get d10 hit dice.

We are level 2 characters and so have 2 hit dice. Half of maximum hit dice, rounded down, are recovered every long rest. For example a level 5 character will get back 5/2=2.5=2 hit dice every day, so budget accordingly.

Kyle, I'm requesting for HP counts for the entire party after short rest and bardic song of rest. Also requesting for max HP information since I'm not really sure how much total health Zemzelett has. I am guessing 8+2+8+2=20 but I'm not sure of the calculations. *

Quelten retrieves his pack, and the healer's kit in it, and make a pass through the party, applying his healing skills as needed.

{{  With the comment about rolling hit dice for healing, I don't think anyone actually needs healling, but might as well stick with the character flavor I already put in.  If I'm wrong, well... just let me know how many uses of the kit are used up or whatever. }}

Having finished this, he takes his rope and binds up the two surviving goblings and lays them beside the gnoll.  He looks over their burned flesh and wonders if they're likely to wake up enough to interrogate or not.

{{ooc: I would prefer to save Innil's second wind unless it is needed. I need to know how much is gained from rest and how much from the use of a healer's kit to decide whether I need to roll die.}}

{{ ooc: Change of mind. Use second wind and rest. Innil shouldn't need spell or kit then.}}

Edited by Jeikor

D'Narenth walks over to Elan'fal and sits on a convenient rock. He breaks out his healthkit and administers to the wound where the spiked club hit his shoulder, all the while speaking to Elan'fal. "For a group of beings that appeared together, you do not fight as if you are together. You all fight separately. Hence, I claim Battle Rights over those I have slain. They are mine and everything that is on them. Please tell the little elf." Finished cleaning and dressing the slight wound, he puts his healthkit away and continues, "I do not know of a place called 'Old Port'. We are on the southern continent of Antargeth. More, this is the land of Yenib, my clan.

"It seems that you have traveled not only in distance, but in time. How this is possible, I have not the knowledge. The year is 4264 PES."

Abram, Rises and steps back from the body. He looks around and finds D'Narenth and walks over and sits beside him. "All is not as it seems here. I fear they know the dead elf female and I fear they are not being truthful with us. The Dead Elf's clothes and equipment is mostly not hers. The equipment makes no sense to me. This group is arguing and at each others throats. I dont know what is being said but I would guess they have a plan that is going all wrong and they are blaming each other. We may have stumbled upon an elaboration assassination plot. We need to watch our backs, we are in your lands and by your customs I will defer to you.  There is also a rapist, kidnapper and theif on the loose that I must find."

After indeed confirming from Elan'fal that the greedy monster indeed wants the kobalds for himself, Zemzelett shrugs, strips off their boots (surely he won't begrudge a 13 year old boy some mundane footwear; if he does, Zemzelett will offer him coin for it) and tosses the bodies and their gear in a separate pile. He reminds himself not to assist the reptile in any way in the future during combat, as he apparently prefers to do everything by himself.

Having finished his accounting of the loot, the half elf notices the clunky human has finished his investigation of the corpse as well. Sensing an opportunity (for some reason Elan'fal and Quelten looked dumbfounded) the young half elf walks over to the body and examines it closely.

Quelten snickers slightly at the first part of the translation.  The group really could use work in unit cohesion after all, though the idea that that gave anyone 'rights' over the resulting booty was just as amusing.

The date, however, was enough to drive all thought of that from his skull.  Impossible.

D'Narenth watches the little elf, as he takes the boots off of one of the Kolbalds and gives them to a human child, then walks over to examine the dead Elf-girl. He speaks to Elan'fal in draconic, "It is said that nothing good ever comes from the wicked park. It appears to be true, some of you are thieves it seems." Pointing to the little elf, "Or do you not hold to battle rights?"

With this, D'Narenth stands and motions to Abram to follow him. In common he says, "The kobald's were hiding or guarding a chest. Like you, I do not trust these interlopers. We should get the chest and see what it contains. Perhaps there will be something useful for us in it. Regardless, we should get to it before the little thief spies it."

Elan'fal looks tiredly to D'Nareth.

"Do not misunderstand us D'Nareth, we have only recently been thrust into a group recently and have not become cohesive yet, as for battle rights....I do not know what that is, so far without having any of the necessary things, we've been pillaging the dead to cover our needs, do not please, judge Zem, he is taking the boots not out of greed, not to sell them but to cover the naked feet of our younger companions. Necessity can make thieves of us all. So almost 400 years into the future eh...? Interesting." He says in dragon tongue to D'Nareth then turns to his companions.

"Almost 400 years into the future...how do we get back? Then again, what are a few...centuries in one's life? What are we to do next Eghas? Besides building some trust with Abram and D'Nareth...I do not think even begin to trust us now." He says casually in their common language.

"So it may not be his mother....this far into the future....as an elf she would not show her age but we two would be able to tell...I think? Maybe his mother lived on after Old port and had another child, this time with an elf...." He sighs, "I don't know what is going on here, but we best turn her over and hope that Zem does not take it...too much at heart." He says in Elvish to Innil again casually.

"I think that those amongst us better equipped at learning other languages should ask me to translate to D'Nareth that he and Abram teach us who want their common and that we teach them ours so that there is not this language barrier, may help in many ways, trust-building as well." He says to everyone after and translates it to D'Nareth.

"400 years! Well most of the people I care about from my village should still be alive. I have no clue how to get back, Elan'fal but I don't try the same way we got here. I fear Zem is going to take this hard regardless; she looks too much like his mother." Innil answers Elan'fal. He looks at the two strangers as they walk away.

**** Resting note ****

Zem's healing song gives eveyoen 6 points back. There is also three healing kits on the dead. Between all of this, you can all come out of the short rest with no damage except Zem, who already had a healing kit used on him during the fight. He is down 3 hitpoints wich could be returned by using a single die during the short rest. there are dead all over and most of the weapons are below average in quality.

Also weapons have classifications and this is what they mean

Magic weapons: + to hit and damage & Critical failure on a roll of a 1 followed by another roll of a 1 on a D20 (needs no normal maintenace)

Supriour weapon: (non magical) gets a +1 to hit and +1 to damage & Critical failure on a roll of a 1 followed by another roll of a 1 on a D20 (needs normal maintenace)

Good Weapon: +1 to hit stadand damage & critical fail only on a 1 followed by a 1(needs normal maintenace)

Normal weapon: standard to hit and damage & critical failure on a 1 followed by another roll of a 1 or 2 on a D20 (needs normal maintenace)

Below Average weapon: -1 to hit & crictial failure on 1 followed by 1,2 or 3 (needs normal maintenace)

poor weapon: -1 to hit -1 to damage critical failure on 1 followed by 1,2,3 or 4 (needs normal maintenace)

Junk weapon: -2 to hit -1 to damage & critical failure on 1 followed by 1,2,3,4 or 5 (needs normal maintenace)

Failure to do normal maintence can cause weapon to degrade in quality if a weapon drops below Junk it is broken and not usable. Also a weapon cannot be increased in quality once it is made and on ce it is degraded it cannot be put back to former quality without extensive work on it.

***END NOTES***

Now for the game: the short rest takes one hour, you can use this time to go through weapons and belongings of the dead, eat and use whetstones and use oil on weapons. You cannot bury dead as this is heavy activity and is not considered a rest.

Reld can do metal armor repairs as he does not require a rest at this time (at least that is what he is telling you all)

Melirel can get boots off one of the Goblings, Kobald feet don't relaly have the right shape for most....

I need to know if anyone who has survival as a chosen skill is going to try to tack up and around where the Elf female was killed.

Also the bodies of the dead are all over the place. It is not easy to collect them all and it is up to you all to tell me who is looting what. It is very possible you will miss one or two in all the confusion, espeaiclly since you all scattered the way you did.

Quelten forces himself out of his reverie.  Four hundred years was a long time, but he was still a Beurden, and a priest.  A small respite after battle is fine, but there are duties that go with both his station and his calling.  But damn if this was a duty he had wanted to perform so soon.  {{ Knowledge check (religion): Elvish burial practices }}

((OCC to GM, a few posts back I did a perception check or on what the magical items from the she-elf are, did I fail the roll or was it missed?))

"Eghas, I think someone should interrogate the prisoners, no?" Elan'fal asks before he starts ramaging through the dead bodies that are near the she-elf.

"I am going to help retreave the items from the dead so that they can be given to whoever needs them the most of the group, our new members included." He says in Elvish, common and Dragon tongues so that everyone can understand him.

Elan'fal cannot identifiy the magic items with a detact magic, only can be told what area of magic they are and that they are magical. The bracelett is abjuration and the blade is enchantment. that is all you know at this point. the necklaces around the necks of the goblings are all also enchantment. none are very strong.

Quelton, burrieal customes are nomrally done yunder the guaideces of whatever god he or she worships. If not know, Elves tend to burn the body to return it to nature

* OOC: Okay then, since this appears to be the official line, let us pretend everything Zemzelett did since his song of rest did not happen. Assume further he used hit die to heal to full, if he can't take advantage of his own song of rest. The version of events is now superseded by this post. *

Zemzelett spends the short hour of rest examining whatever corpses he can find, save for the body the large human seems intent on investigating, for shoes that would fit poor Melirel's foot. He also notes down the items each of the corpses have been carrying for later redistribution.

Out of the corner of his eye, he sees the others shooting worried looking glances his way, and then looking at the body at the top of the ridge. He could also hear his name being whispered among the others.

Intensely curious as to what relationship he could possibly have with an assassin a continent away from Old Port, the half elf finally ascends the ridge, and, after the human finished his investigation, rolls the body over and takes a very good look at it...

Abram and D'narenth come out of the cave to hear Elan'fal. in Elvin "Stop, do not touch one thing on the corpses. In this land when someone claims right of battle they own all the spoils of their claim removing anything is nothing more than thievery. This is D'Narenth's land so he receives first right claim battle rights. You are visitors in this land and I would caution you to respect the local customs. This is the Lord Dragonborn's Clan lands so I defer to him." He paused "If you can accept that we can begin to find out what is happening here, if you cannot D'Narenth and I will bid you farewell and caution you to move out of the Dragonborn lands as quickly as possible."