In The Pass

Kyle Aarons

Zem, you move up to the body of the Elf female. It looks familier, and the colak it is wearing was your fathers cloak. Yet you saw him get cut down as you fled the assault of Old port. YOu have to serach your memory, for the face you are looking at was not a member of the troupe. Then it comes to you. This is a face you saw when you were young, an Elf who got in a heated argument with your parents, very heated. It ended with her spitting in your mother's face and calling bascailly the whole troupe cowards for not going on a tour of the outter desxert forts protecing all the kingdoms from the creatues within the scalding sands. For her it was a matter of money and glory, to travel tough danger lands and preform would mean both lots of coin and a huge boost in reputaion. Your mother, however, was more worred about keeping eveyone in one piece and a tour of the outter forts would be unlikely to allow eveyone to come home alive.

Sorry about needing to redo the loot list

You all find a camp not far from where the Elf female was killed. there is a huge amount of stuff in seperate piles.

listed is eveything you find on the bodies and in the camp that belongs to them:

This is the easiest way I could figure how to do this:

2 pouches, leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), Mace (below average), crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, Short Sword (below average)

Coins

12 Asps, 14 Vipers, 24 Adders

Gems

Zircon

Magic Items

Potion

Salvage

Altar Piece- Silver Hand (1 lb)

Bag of Chestnuts (1 lb)

Bag of Iron Nails (1 lb)

Bedroll (5 lb)

Bolt of Linen (10 lb)

Bottle of Brandywine (4 lb)

Flask of Oil (1 lb)

13 x Iron Bar (65 lb)

Large Iron Box (100 lb)

Large Wooden Chest (50 lb)

Pole (10') (3 lb)

7 x Sack (3.5 lb)

Sack of Animal Feed (50 lb)

Sack of Wheat (50 lb)

Small Cask of Tobacco (8 lb)

13 x Small Cask of Wax (5 lb)

11 x Whetsone (11 lb)

2 pouches, leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), short bow, quiver with 16 arrows, Short Sword (below average), spiked club

Coins

9 Asps, 21 Vipers, 32 Adders

Salvage

Manacles (2 lb)

15 x Small Glass Rod (2 lb)

Small Hunting Trap (5 lb)

Coins

16 Asps, 34 Vipers, 78 Adders

Magic Items

Oil

Potion

Potion

Salvage

Fishing Net (5 lb)

Tent (20 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), Mace (below average), crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, Short Sword (below average), hand axe

Coins

7 Asps, 18 Vipers, 31 Adders

Gems

Lapis Lazuli

Moonstone

Obsidian

Magic Items

Potion

Salvage

Bedroll (5 lb)

Bolt of Linen (10 lb)

Bottle of Honey (4 lb)

2 x Chisel (4 lb)

2 x Flask of Oil (2 lb)

Hammer (2 lb)

Ladder (10') (20 lb)

Sack of Animal Feed (50 lb)

Small Cask of Wax (5 lb)

Small Wooden Chest (10 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), Mace (below average), short bow, quiver with 16 arrows, Short Sword (below average), spiked club

Coins

29 Asps, 47 Vipers, 88 Adders

Gems

Alabaster

Rhodochrosite

Magic Items

Potion

Scroll

Scroll

Salvage

Bag of 20 Sling Bullets (10 lb)

Bag of Chalk (1/2 lb)

Bag of Chestnuts (1 lb)

Bag of Iron Nails (1 lb)

Bottle of Common Wine (4 lb)

Bottle of Vinegar (4 lb)

2 x Hammer (4 lb)

10 x Iron Bar (50 lb)

Iron Pot (4 lb)

Small Iron Box (20 lb)

Small Magnet (1 lb)

Set of Noble clothing female adult (8 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), Mace (below average), short bow, quiver with 16 arrows, spiked club, hand axe

Coins

121 Asps, 145 Vipers, 243 Adders

Magic Items

Potion

Potion

Scroll

Salvage

2 x Bag of 20 Marbles (2 lb)

Bag of 20 Sling Bullets (10 lb)

5 x Bag of Iron Nails (5 lb)

42 x pouches of Wheat (42 lb)

Bolt of Linen (10 lb)

Bottle of Good Wine (4 lb)

Box of Charcoal (20 lb)

Game Board- dragon chess (2 lb)

Glasscutter (1 lb)

15 x Loaf of Bread (12.5 lb)

Pair of Oars (20 lb)

3 x Riding Saddle (75 lb)

2 x Rope Ladder (50') (30 lb)

Sack of Apples (50 lb)

Small Cask of Common Spice (5 lb)

Small Cask of Dried Figs (8 lb)

Small Cask of Oil (5 lb)

11 x Wedge of Cheese (11 lb)

Superior made Items

Chainmail (300 gp)

Short Sword

2 pouches, leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), Short Sword (below average)

Coins

2 Asps, 19 Vipers, 12 Adders

Gems

Malachite

Milky Quartz

Turquoise

Superior made Items

Flail

Magic Items

Oil

Scroll

Salvage

6 x Pouch of Salt (6 lb)

Bag of Wheat (50 lb)

Bedroll (5 lb)

Bottle of Good Wine (4 lb)

Grappling Hook (4 lb)

Iron Bar (5 lb)

Pan Flute (1 lb)

Small Cask of Oil (5 lb)

Small Cask of Wax (5 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor, Mace (below average), crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, hand axe

Coins

20 Asps, 14 Vipers, 34 Adders

Gems

Chrysoprase

Rock Quartz

Turquoise

Salvage

Armchair (10 lb)

Bag of Wheat (1 cp, 50 lb)

Bolt of wool (12 lb)

Miner's Pick (10 lb)

13 x Small Cask of Ale (65 lb)

Wagon (35 gp, 400 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor, 2 daggers (below average), crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, Short Sword, hand axe

Coins

13 Asps, 21 Vipers, 26 Adders

Gems

Azurite

Obsidian

Rose Quartz

Magic Items

Oil

Salvage

Bag of Common Spice (1 lb)

12 x Flask of Oil (12 lb)

Sack of Wheat (50 lb)

Sledge (10 lb)

Spade (8 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor, 2 daggers, Mace (below average), crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, short bow, quiver with 16 arrows, Short Sword

Coins

39 Vipers, 52 Adders

Gems

Sardonyx

Magic Items

Oil

Ear Ring (snowflake obsidian)

Salvage

High Boots (4 lb)

Lamp (1 lb)

Small Cask of Dried Figs (8 lb)

2 pouches, studded leather armor (good), 2 daggers, Mace (Good), crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, Short Sword, hand axe

Coins

81 Asps, 65 Vipers, 37 Adders

Gems

Chrysoprase

Freshwater Pearl (Cracked)

Salvage

Bag of 20 Sling Bullets (2 sp, 10 lb)

pouch of Salt (1 lb)

pouch of Wheat (1 lb)

Barrel (30 lb)

15 x Bottle of Vinegar (60 lb)

Box of Charcoal (20 lb)

Box of Firewood (20 lb)

12x Piton (6 lb)

Pole (10') (3 lb)

Small Cask of beer (5 lb)

Small Iron Box (20 lb)

Wedge of Cheese (4 lb)

Wool Cloak (5 sp, 3 lb)

2 pouches, leather armor (poor), 2 daggers (below average), Mace (below average), short bow (Below Average), quiver with 16 arrows, spiked club (poor)

Coins

2 Asps, 8 Vipers, 7 Adders

Gems

Hematite

Jasper

Malachite

Pyrite

Tigereye

Zircon

Salvage

Bag of 20 Marbles (1 lb)

Bottle of Vinegar (4 lb)

Chisel (2 lb)

Handsaw (5 lb)

2 x Sewing Needle

2 pouches, studded leather armor, 2 daggers, crossbow, quiver w/18 bolts, Short Sword, hand axe

Coins

30 Asps, 15 Vipers, 10 Adders

Gems

Hematite

Ivory

Malachite

Obsidian

Obsidian

Salvage

Box of Charcoal (20 lb)

Hammer (2 lb)

4 x Hemp Rope (50') (40 lb)

17 x Sack (8.5 lb)

Small stone statue of a goblin (10 lb)

Wooden Drum (3 lb)

You also have what I discribed on the elf woman and 6 amulets that were on the Goblings

Zemzelett looks up sadly from the corpse, tears liberally streaming from his eyes after he realized the role he played in her demise.  The half-elf had no doubt that if it weren't for his Faerie Fire, nobody would have shot at her.  Although it was not his arrow or firebolt that killed her, it was his enchantment that allowed it to happen, and he must pay the price.  He is numb, especially after overhearing that they have been stranded 385 years in the future.  The life he had before was but a distant memory; all he has now is pain and guilt, and it is too much for him to bear.

"I'm a murderer." he says numbly.  With head bowed, he takes a manacle, and walks over to the human investigator, and offers it to Abram while raising his hands in surrender. In Elven, he begins to tell his story.

Sir, no doubt your personage is a sort of officer of the peace.  I am Zemzelett the Acrobatic, 16-year old half-elf bard, scion of the human Malcer and wood elfess Zethurin Moonbrook, and performer of the Cantertrot Performance Troupe.  The troupe and I were caught in an orakin raid orchestrated by a villain known as Jeraul Beurden while at the City of Old Port in 2336 SRA. I was separated from my family and hid in the besieged city for three lunar cycles. After the city was liberated, our liberators drafted me and my companions, the elves, tiefling, and humans you now see before you, to track down and retrieve five noble boys who were captured.  If I did them this task, they promised to help me find my family."

We tracked the boys to a desolate tower in a place called the Swamp of Bones. In order to free them, we fought Orcs, gnolls, and strange Orc-like creatures with large horns in front of their faces, whose desiccated corpses the Dragonborn saw with his own eyes.  In fact, I had the leader's horn in my possession, but I must have dropped it during our battle with the gnolls.  The leader had a silver medallion in the shape of a horned bear holding a great axe in its paws - it was part of the cargo our horses were carrying.  Through circumstances that I still do not comprehend, we, together with our quarry, were transported to the so-called Wicked Park by magical means, shunted in time 385 years into the future, by some being calling itself Enumclaw.

But though I am lost in time and space, that is not an excuse.  I am guilty of murder most foul.  I am personally responsible for slaying an elf who had no quarrel with me, the same elf who now lies dead before you.  I made her death possible - her blood is on my hands as surely as if I had loosed the fatal arrow.  It was not the fault of the Sorceror or of the young boys, for they only heeded my signal.  

I have nothing left to live for, Sir.  My father is dead, and my mother, were she still alive, would think me long deceased by now.  But I have learned from them to accept the consequences of any crime, which I will do so now.  So please, Sir, lock me up now, or if you are merciful and would spare me a lifetime of regret, strike me down right here.  A life for a life, such is justice.  

The half elf then proffers all his weapons to Abram - his light crossbow, the remaining 19 bolts, 2 daggers, and a rapier.  

"Sir, you will also have to bind my hands behind my back and gag me because I have a voice-only spell."

Looking over to the others, Zemzelett speaks to them in Common first, and then repeats it in Elven for Abram's sake.  "I ask that you not intervene in the proceedings of justice, for my fate is deserved. But before we part, let me tell you what I know.  I remember her, from long ago.  She was part of our Troupe, and wanted us to tour the outer desert forts that guarded the kingdoms of the north.  I was too young to remember, but my mom told me that another elfess has left the Troupe, parting with the group in bad terms.  She wanted fame and fortune that such a trip would bring, but my mom feared for our safety and refused.  She slapped my mom and spat in her face, and we never saw her again.  But, I know she isn't evil, and doesn't deserve to die.  I know time is of the essence, but I ask that you allow her a decent Elven burial, if not here then someplace else."

Hit Abram with an exposition dump.  Does he react to any of the bolded words?

Quelten seems to grow two feet in his fury.  "Murderer?  Murderer?" he hisses.

"Someone translate my words for those two," Quelten gestures in the direction of D'Narenth and Abram.

"Listen very, very closely Zemzellet.  Murder is the knowing, willful act of killing someone unlawfully.  You did not know who this woman was.  You did not know that your actions would lead to her death.  You thought she was attacking us, as did we all.  It's called the fog of war.  If blame there is, the blame is shared because none of us realized she wasn't hostile, and she herself didn't bother to make that known.  But there is no blame.  Each of us acted as best we could in a chaotic, confused situation where telling friend from foe was, at best, difficult and confusing.  A confusion she didn't help, when she broke cover in the manner she chose."

"You committed no crime.  Know this, and know it to be true," Quelten orders firmly.  "Perhaps you made a stupid mistake, but if so the key is to learn from it, not run and hide in your shame."

Elan'fal is looking extremely non-emotional, his face a complete mask of neutrality throughout the whole conversation and continues to when he translates Quelten's words in Dragontongue and Elvish so that both D'Nareth and Abram can understand them.

Beyond that he says or does absolutely nothing more waiting to see how this will develop.

"Hear my words!"  Eghas says as he moves closer to Zem and Abhram.  He makes sure to glance over at Elan'fal, and make sure he is translating.  a Nod form the elf is all Eghas needs to know that his words would be understood by all.  "As much as it pains me to admit it, Quelten is right, even if his delivery needs some work."  He shoots a grin towards Quelten to assure the Human that what he was saying was being said, mostly in jest.  "The blame for the death of this elf, is shared by all of us.  But truly if blame need be laid at any one person's feet, that would be me."

It was I that made the mistake within the swamp of bones that brought us here.  And yet, even with that, you all choose me as the leader.  A Job that, so far has proven to be beyond my capabilities.  I seem to be okay with it, until combat starts.  but, be that as it may, Zem..."  He moves in front of the boy and meets his eyes.  "you do not hold the fault for her death.  we all do.  We all share in the shame that comes from killing someone that need not have died."

He nods to the boy before he moves away to start talking to the entire group.  "But this is a lesson to us all.  We came together, forced together, under the hardest of circumstances.  We did not choose to travel together, to be as a group, it was forced upon us.  we knew not one another before the day the enemy invaded Old Port.  I know not why it happened, and why it was us.  but the one thing i do know is that i trust in the Gods to have a purpose for us.  there is a reason we are together.  there is a purpose behind what has happened, and yes."  he looks over at Zem with a sad look.  "Yes, Zem, even her death holds a purpose somehow."

"However, we, as a group have failed so far.  we have let our own personal egos take control of our own actions.  we have not yet come together to be a group.  Zem, your actions alone so far, show that you care about the others in the group, specifically the children.  for that, you have my thanks.  The rest of us, at times we work together, and other times it seems like we are the only one in the fight.  then when the fight is over, we split apart, we are at each others throats, thinking that we know what is best."

He sighs as he squats down, and runs his fingers through the dirt.  "I was a ranger before this, enjoying my times living off the land.  but i grew up in a city, a city much bigger then Old Port.  I was an urchin, good for nothing other then being kicked by someone who passes me by.  I learned to enjoy being outside of the city, because it was safer for me, then being in the city.  Now here... here we are all in a land that we don't know.  a land that is unfamiliar to all of us.  let us come together, let us put our differences aside, and join together to survive.  because after that fight... we need to learn to work together.  we are all needed, The gods put us together, and put us here for a reason, and we need to figure it out."  He meets each of their eyes, before settling on Zem.  "All of us."

Abram sighs in common he says to D'narenth. "The little one says he is responsible for the murder of this elf woman. And is surrendering himself to me" he then looks at the translator and in elvin "would you be so kind to translate please so all your people might understand. First and Formost i track and retrieve fugitives I have no authority other than the authority granted for each fugitive. This is D'narenths lands he is the official representative of his people, it is his sole responsibility to decide if their is enough concern to warrant an arrest." He pauses and looks at the whole group. "None including myself can superceed that authority. With that said should D'narenth decide to take you little one back to his people for further questioning I will stand with you as this was just an unfortunate incident. Before D'Narenth makes a decision we must put all this aside and secure our surroundings. I will take up watch on the mouth of the bigger cave if one of you would join me. I might suggest you." He looks at Eghas. " use what tracking skills you have to figure out as much as you can and I will pay you 10 silver if you can identify any tracks of a human male last know direction was south south east" abram then translates the whole thing in common to D'natenth and then adds "he has surrendered in your lands he is yours to do with as you wish" he then walks towards the cave opening hoping one of them will go with him.

The half elf could scarcely believe what he was hearing. The big man was leaving him to the tender mercies of the large scaly reptile man-thing. Oh, his companions tried to assuage his guilt; the young cleric was most unexpectedly kind in his remarks, for which he cannot help but grin to Quelten, despite himself.

Still, the word murderer kept reverberating in Zemzelett's mind. His hand, previously pure and pristine, now reeks of blood. He has never killed anyone before, not even a gnoll during the long and frightful days in the overrun city of Old Port. And now, his carelessness resulted in the death of an innocent, making him a stone cold killer.

Stealing a glance at D'Naranth's stern expression, the half elf decides to take his fate in his own hands instead of submitting himself to the lizard and probably be eaten as retribution.

"Serrif, I commend my spirit to you," he whispers in Elven. His face willing up with tears as he resolves to do what he must, he adds, "Father, I hope to see you soon."

The young half elf approaches the dragonborn, knowing what he must do to achieve justice. He takes his dagger in both hands, and raises it high in the air. After hesitating a bit, he continues his final grim task. Pointing the edge towards his belly, the half elf brings the knife down to disembowel himself in one swift stroke...

Quelten, more than half-suspecting something foolish, is shocked at the sudden action on Zemzelett's part.  He'd expected stupidity, sure, but not that Zem would get there quite this quickly or dramatically.

Still, the action of raising the dagger gives him enough warning, if barely, to reach around Zem's torso with his shield, letting the dagger clang harmlessly off it.

"I didn't get to take the easy path," he whispers in Zem's ear as he struggles for control of the dagger, to hear as he wrestles for control of the dagger, "neither do you."

"Some help here!" he adds more loudly.

Elan'fal is quick to react. With Elven speed and agility he grabs the dagger and throws it in the ground quite a bit away. Then he raises Zem's head with his hand and slaps him with the other before speaking to him in Elvish not in a harsh but a strict, disappointed tone.

"Is this how you wish to honour your parents' names? Is this how you wish to repay your mother's love and care? You are no more a murderer than I am, than any of us here is. Pull yourself together, I would not see harm done in one that I consider a friend, nor would I allow him to perform such an act of incredible stupidity. We are all a group, we acted together during a battle and we killed someone who may or may not be an innocent. We know not why she was here. Maybe she was an escaped prisoner or maybe she was working for the enemy in or not her will. You want to undo what you have done? Killing yourself will not do that. Live. Live with what you have done and find whoever is behind this. Help us kill him or bring him to whatever justice. That is how you repay what you have done. But you don't get to die. You here me!? We are elves, half or not you are partly elf. Act like it." He tells Zem and looks into his eyes showing him he meant what he told him, that he considers him a friend.

[OOC: I meant to post this at my lunchtime. I forgot to actually hit "post". So I read what was written, which was Rilber's post. Modified mine to take that into account... in the meantime Eghas posted and then AB posted only slightly ahead of mine. You guys might want to edit yours, as I am not editing mine]

D'Narenth, in a move almost to swift to follow, rips the knife out of the hands of the little elf, yet someone else is also fast, as a shield gets in the way and causes the dagger to dig into the hand of D'Narenth.

He then stares at each of the members of this group. At first, all everyone hears is a sort of hissing sound. It is, at first, a kind of quiet sound, "hsssssss... hsssssss... " But it builds in volume and becomes a staccato report, "hsss... hsss... hsss... hsss... " Until D'Narenth drops to the ground, where he all but rolls around, holding onto his sides.

After a minute or so, of what should apparent to everyone, of uncontrolled laughter, D'Narenth finally gets a grip on himself. He stands back up, all the while grinning hugely (and while a dargonborns smile looks terrifying to those not used to such, this group should be getting used to this). "Oh thank you!" he says in draconic, looking at Elan'fal to translate, "I haven't had such a good laugh, in such a long. long time!" D'Narenth looks at the little elf, "Little one, you can not blame yourself for the death of the girl. As it has been said, no one of us knew this girl to be an innocent. There is no blame for anyone to take! In all battles, shit happens. It is just the way it is. To blame yourself, or to blame anyone for the death of this elf-girl, is to watch the sun go down, and blame yourself for its setting!" Again, D'Narenth laughs a bit.

"There seems to be some confusion over 'Battle Rights', as it pertains to this recent engagement. Allow me to explain..." D'Narenth reaches up and scratches his eye-ridge, "When I met you all, it was obvious you were a group, but not a group. You argued amongst yourselves, you had no leader. I suppose you could say that it was I, who forced you all to choose one amongst you to lead, to represent yourselves to the peoples of this land.

"It is now more apparent than ever, that you are not fighters. That you have little to no battle sense. I say this without scorn or derision. It is simply a fact. Because of this, you fought as individuals and not as a group of fighters in a cohesive manner. As such, 'Battle Rights' belong to the those of you that did kill your enemies. I took down 2 kobalds. They are mine. I helped Abram to take down a few more. But because we were allied in that time, their spoils belong to both of us. Abram retains the rights to the couple that he took down by himself, before I agreed to help him. The ones you have killed belong to you. If you are a group, then the ones your group took down, belong to the group, to be divvied up, however you all have agreed or however your leader see fit.

"Abram is not part of your group. I am not part of your group... At best, I may be considered a guide. Still, my rights must be recognized, as I recognize yours.

"Finally, looking directly at the little elf he says, as gently as a dragonborn can speak, "Little one, there is no shame or guilt attached to you. You show great courage in your act... But next time, be sure of what you attempt will not be stopped by those around you."

With that, D'Narenth looks at his slightly bloodied hand and begins laughing again.

Innil picks up the dagger and tucks it into his waist. Looking at Zem with disappointment he states in Elvish, "I will return your dagger when I am sure You won't do something stupid like deprive us of a good friend. Abram will you tell D'Nareth that I will stand guard with him." He turns and walks to the big cave.

Zemzelett's mind clouds over and over with the word "murderer".  Even as justice was denied by his companions, the word echoes around his head, spilling over as he continuously mewls the word while holding his hands around his head.  Magical energy swirls around the half-elf, and lightning bolts start to crackle around him.  The energy coalesced into ball lightning, which threatens to explode and send a deafening wave of thunder around the half-elf...

Abram stops and looks back at the comotion and at the end of it he chuckles and shakes his head. In Elvin,"Get it together over there we still haven't secured our surroundings, Hey little elf snap out of it we need you here." He stops and returns to the group and walks over the little elf and lifts him into a bear hug. "Your overreacting and taking blame for something that is not yours to take. The blame lies with all of us."

The big man hugs him just as the energy threatens to spill out into the surroundings.

"No!"

His conscious mind desperately claws for control over the half-elf's spell.

"NO! I WILL NOT HURT ANY MORE INNOCENTS!" his mind screams.

Almost as abruptly as the energies have gathered, they dissipated back into Zemzelett's body.

Opening his eyes, the half-elf realized that everyone was looking at him.  Quelten looked indifferent, although he was obviously trying to suppress something.  The dragonborn looked amused.  The boys were befuddled, and the Tiefling just stared.  The disappointed looks Elanfal and Innil shot at him wounded the half-elf the most, even more than the stinging slap the elf has delivered to his cheek - Zemzelett could feel the palm-shaped bruise forming.  

They have tried to shield him from harm, the half-elf realizes, and here he was trying to off himself without their permission.  His death would have devastated them.

His friends' words start to resonate in his head. Yes, Quelten was right - he tried to take the easy way out.  And yes, deep in his core, he agrees with Elan'fal that he was not truly guilty - no just court would convict him for the elfess' death.  It was the sheer despair of knowing he had contributed to the death of an innocent that led him to convict himself, and seek an easy way out. He could now see that his parents would have clearly disapproved.  Letting out a tortured sob, the half elf looks at the ground, unable to look anyone in the eye.

Zemzelett did not realize until now how much he missed his father's hugs.  He held Abram tightly, clearly reluctant to let go.  "Thank you, Sir, I'm okay now. That felt good." he whispers to Abram in Elvin as the hug ended.

Standing up straight, the half-elf says in Elven to Elan'fal, Innil, and Abram, "I am sorry for my outburst. I have tried to take the easy way out, instead of atoning for my mistake by bringing her captors to justice.  I will not do so again."  Left unsaid was the half-elf's newly-fatalistic outlook: he would indeed no longer seek to die by his own hand, but should he fall in while in pursuit of their mission, it would be a fitting end.  Indeed, the goddess of luck he worships would be the arbiter of his fate.  If it were his destiny to die, then he can only laugh, and face it as all mortals do.

Zemzelett slowly walks over to the dead elf, bringing Quelten with him.  The half-elf runs his hand through her ankle, and faces the young cleric. "I cannot thank you enough for your actions. Indeed, it was a cowardly thing to do. I will now endeavor to atone by seeking answers about her."

Removing his right boot, the half-elf shows Quelten a barely-visible mark on the ankle of his foot - the same one that he accidentally injured. He takes the cleric's hand and holds it over the rune, and nods with satisfaction as the boy feels a slight magical buzz. Seeing the cleric's quizzical look, Zemzelett starts to explain.  "This is a rune implanted in me when I was too young to remember. I was told it stands for luck and health, something vitally important for a performer. This elf used to be part of our Troupe, and may have received such a mark as well. I know it is a long shot, but but can you sense anything similar to my rune on her foot? It may not be visible especially if she has not refreshed it.  My rune was just recently bolstered a week before we arrived at Old Port.  But if her mark is still there, perhaps we can use its lingering traces to magically track where she has been."

Aid Quelten in Perception and Arcana check.

While the two boys who are still with you are pretty freaked out by all this, both are nobles and after a bit Melirel speaks up after walking aournd all the piles of loot, "This is stuff rom trae caravans, probably more than one. These must have been bandits and I bet some of this wa either heading to or leaving whatever village we were headed toward. My father would pay a reward for return of goods such as these and proably even money for the heads of the bandits.

Reld keeps watch on Eghas as he looks for tracks. He finds not one set but three and they all go different directions. One is a heavy booted print and it is several hours old. The owner of the boot print was in the camp where all the goods listed in my prior post were being kept, but the tracks say he was not part of the group. This set of tracks is of a person trying to concel his path and almost succeeds. However, either a keen eye or just dumb luck on the part of Eghas picks up the trial again after it lees the rocks. The being made it look like he was headed stright east when in fact he cut back and went to the south east. (Abram- these are the boot prints of the man you want).

The second set is a lighter set and it came from the camp, down into the rocks and over toward the cave. Those who saw the path the Gnoll who went into the cave took, can tell you these prints belong to the Gnoll.

The last set is a a very large being, probably too big to be a human, Gobling, or Gnoll.  These prints go from the camp to the area where the Elf female was killed then back to the camp where it let off a heavy mount. It then jumped on the mount a hill over and headed south.

"Dammit Zem, I'm a priest, not a mage," Quelten grumbles.  "But I'll check.  And you and I are going to have a long conversation sometime soon, hear me?"  Quelten looks up and sighs.  "Eghas, Innil, Elan'fal, I think..."  He shakes his head.  "There are things I have no wish to discuss.  But four hundred years... my family's shame will have faded, over all these years, and I think you need to know."  As Quelten checks he adds, as if in afterthought, "Things you deserve to stand in judgement over."

Disappointed that the corpse apparently held no clues, Zemzelett thanks Quelten by tapping him on the shoulders. Looking one more time into her unblinking eyes (can Zemzelett remember a name?), the half-elf closes her eyelids for the last time, and mutters a silent prayer for her eternal repose.

He goes over to the camp to examine the mounds of loot. His eyes glow upon seeing some of the superior weapons and armor. Not knowing which item D'Naranth meant to claim them for himself, he makes his selection, brings them over to Quelten, and asks Quelten to ask (in Orcish) whether the Dragonborn would be invoking his "battle rights" for the items Zemzelett is taking.

Zemzelett's Selection:

• 1x superior flail (for Luth)
  • Gobling shoes (for Melirel, Reinlor, Gothan, and Talarc)
  • 1x crossbow bolt, to replenish to 20
  • 1x good studded leather armor (to wear if it fits) - Can I assume it adds +1 to AC?
  • 1x potion of healing
  • 1x healer's kit
  • 1x gobling amulet
  • 1x dragonchess game set
  • 1x ten-foot pole
  • 1x cracked pearl (hopefully worth 100 silver!)
  • fair share of coin (34 asps, 46 vipers, 67 adders) - Note: There are 342 asps (gold?), 460 vipers (silver?), and 674 adders (copper?). A fair split would be between ten people, which includes: Zemzelett, Barett, Innil, Quelten, Elan'fal, Eghas, Reld, Vorador, D'Naranth, and Alan.

The cleric has called for everyone's attention, and is apparently about to say something important about his family. But the half-elf suddenly remembers about Barett, Vorador, and the missing kids. He taps the cleric on the shoulder, and says, "Maybe another time, my friend, and with all of us present? We need to catch up to Barett and the others. I don't know if I can ever forgive myself if something bad happens to them, because of my plan to retreat the kids."

Ehas walks back towards the group.  in Gnoll he speaks, then repeats it in Common.  "I found three sets of tracks.  the first is a heavy booted print and it is several hours old. The owner of the boot print was in the camp where all the goods  were being kept, but the tracks say he was not part of the group. This set of tracks is of a person trying to conceal his path and almost succeeding.  The being made it look like he was headed straight east when in fact he cut back and went to the south east.

The second set is a lighter set and it came from the camp, down into the rocks and over toward the cave.

The last set is a a very large being, probably too big to be a human, Gobling, or Gnoll.  These prints go from the camp to the area where the Elf female was killed then back to the camp where it let off a heavy mount. It then jumped on the mount a hill over and headed south.

That is all i can tell you right now.

The half-elf looks over at the Ranlock (or was it Warger?).  "Sir Eghas, it's getting too dark to do anything useful.  I would dearly love to investigate the large set of footprints, but might I suggest we find the rest of our party and wait until daylight?"  For Abram's benefit, he repeats what he said in Elvin.

"I guess I do have one question: what do we do with them?" Zemzelett points towards the hogtied gnoll spellcaster, and the two trussed-up goblings who should be regaining consciousness any moment now.