Drummer Boy: The Road North

Castle Herald

Like a time machine, Arthur has peeled back 200 years of world history in order to expose the adventurous life of Thomas and his army of boys, drawn to into war by circumstances beyond their control and relying heavily on the masculinity and honor of male peer attachment, that was so socially accepted in that day. With Arthur’s story rooted in historical accuracy, scholars have argued throughout the ages of just how these young “gangs” got organized in Spain and how they later morphed into social and political forces during the urbanization of Europe in the 19th century.  Sir Robert Peel would point to Portuguese youth gangs in 1814 as he prepared for a new Metropolitan Police Force and Scotland Yard in Britain. As much as I have grown attached to Thomas, I know that at some point, Arthur must write a final chapter, and return him and his band of guerillas into world history.

11 hours ago, Arthur said:

Thank you all, Jay one word can describe the hold up of chapter 15 "Politicians"

Nuff said.

You have to remember the true meaning of the word politics,

Poli comes from the greek word polus meaning "many"

Tic is a small blood sucking creachers

Put them togetthere you get

"many blood suchers"

Hang in there Authur, I wish you well.

22 hours ago, R08m4rv said:

There you go I said it was something simple like internet problems. Good to know that all will be revealed on Monday and then I will be even better because I will only have to wait 4 days for chapter 16. Loki will be in a fit of rage or laughter at this development, as Arthur well knows !

Oh dear....

Be sure you read the disclaimer at the bottom of chapter 15.

5 minutes ago, R08m4rv said:

Well it's Monday evening and I still see no chapter 15. If I get to see chap 15 sometime this week I will be happy. And if the bloody politicians have their stupid ways we will be living the same way as George Orwell's  1984. And I will read the Disclaimer Al, I promise.   

Monday evening based on Eastern standard Time in the United states

Disclaimer

All stories on this site are copyrighted. Copyrights are the properties of their respective authors and are used here with their permission. No story may be used, copied, or distributed without the authors direct permission in writing. Permission is granted to download only the copy you currently have in view on your browser.

The stories on this site are works of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

These stories may contain scenes which may contain sexual depictions or references, or may be violently graphical in nature, which may not be legal in your area. If you are under 13 years of age or material of this nature is unlawful where you are viewing, please leave now.

By continuing to browse this website, you have agreed that you have been notified of the potential content of this site. Further, you have asserted that you are of lawful age to view such material. You have further agreed that the author(s), editor(s), and this site will not be held responsible for any consequences of you viewing or downloading the content of this site.

I have to agree, I am happy that Mr. Grey and O'Rourke have again made an appearance. It is firmly in winter now, snow and frost abound. Thomas and his men are once again busy to disrupt the french as much as they reasonably safely can. While we know that Thomas cares greatly about his men the harsh truth of war is that not every one that goes to war wil come home again. We have seen this many times since the start of The Drummer boy Saga. We can only keep our fingers crossed that Thomas's losses remain minimal in the upcoming battles, because even if the french they encounter are old men and conscripts, i assure you, if cornered the conscripts wil shoot to kill. The reason is simple, even though they do not have the warrior heart that soldiers do, they do wish to remain alive so they may return to their friends and/or loved ones. So discretion is going to be needed and in winter that is not an easy thing.

On 3/10/2017 at 6:16 PM, Arthur said:

Being discovered is their constant fear. But, I had not considered how someone might track them to their camp until Mr. Grey said they'd simply followed the tracks of the last scouting party that returned.  And then the next morning there was snow! Snow!  Ugh!  Now my first thought was this will make it very easy for an enemy to track them. I worried about the tracks they made as Mr. Grey's unit hit the road south... the tracks could lead someone right back to Thomas' camp.  I worried about it again as Thomas hit the road north with three companies. Moving an army through snow would leave a very clear trail for someone to follow back to their camp... or to come up behind them.  So, even though it made the men less comfortable as they tried to stay warm, I was glad to read that they had wind and more snow that might help cover their tracks.

Thanks for another great chapter, Sir Arthur!

I agree on the track information. But I think the saving grace is Russia.  At this point, the French do not have the manpower to chase ghosts. They are more concerned with concentrating their forces for the coming battle as well as basic survival.  They may be so low on reinforcements, that expending manpower to chase across the countryside may be beyond their capabilities.

14 hours ago, militarypress said:

...........well..........glad to have you sarge......and glad to have your insight into the battlefield importance of a "romance-free" commanding officer...........

I knew just as I hit the send key i should have deleted the "bromance" paragraph.  The word moral should have been morale and I'm an old fart who should keep his mouth shut on some issues. Sorry militarypress.

3 hours ago, CMSgtZulu said:

I knew just as I hit the send key i should have deleted the "bromance" paragraph

If  you have read the 1st Drummer Boy, you may have noticed that Carmelo was the first member of Thomas's Army and they would end up sleeping together although noting was implied of a sexual nature. The only thing that occurred later on after the Battle of of Talavera when Thomas was watching  his " Surgeon" Jervis attend the wounded. 

The last thing Thomas could recollect was the large glass of brandy handed to him by Carmelo while he watched and waited for his wounded to be attended to.

An almost full body blush overtook Thomas as he realised his boyhood was pointing directly up at the top of the tent, something that had been happening a lot lately. Thomas prayed that the hands washing him would not stray as he felt there would be something not right happen.

As well as Arthur I am also ex forces ( British Army) and I absolutely hate herrings in tomato sauce ! I once threw a SSGT off the vehicle I was Commander of for bringing the dreaded herrings onto my Centurion ARV after I had asked him not to. They are the one thing that makes me ill even if I smell them, I have no problems with any kind of fish and enjoy Kippers when I can find them in Cyprus ( not very often).

Apart from that I am waiting for the next chapter of Thomas and his army ( no fun living in tents in the winter, I've had to do it a few times during my Service)