Drummer Boy: The Road North

Castle Herald

Definitely another superb chapter and the suspense is building rapidly. I also am waiting with glee to see what happens at the ball and i am more than sure that the senior english officers wil be more than a little uncomfortable as Thomas is revealed.

I do have to agree with Sircody that it looks like the council is looking out for Thomas family, most likely by the use of the shipping company. I have to admit to r08 and tinker that i had forgotten that Thomas parents had bought their farm from iirc Peter Morgan. So i suppose shame on me, but with so much going on all the time it was bound to happen.

On a sidenote I thought something didn't quite add up in the promotions so i went back and i was right.

In Book 1 Chapter 20 Viscount Wellingtons Ball, Lt's Allen, Perrin & Lorenco were offered the rank of Major in the spanish Army. The Perrin in Question is Tommy Perrin as we had not yet met Oliver Perrin. In the promotions List of Book 2 Chapter 4 however, Tommy Perrin is only a Captain. Did he get demoted orso? Lt Lorenco was promoted to Colonel, Lt. Allen was Lost at Olivenca and Thimothy Carterton was given his Rank instead. Also a small continuity error but in Book 1 Mr. Carterton's first name is Bertram, just something i noticed lol.

edited to insert a sudden thought that occurred.

Here is a little bit about the  Napoleonic War which may be of interest.taken from the history of my old regiment the PWRR.

THE NAPOLEONIC WAR 1803–1815 Napoleon had signed the Amiens Treaty only to give himself time to prepare for his invasion of England and fourteen months later he declared war again on the trumped-up grounds that Britain had failed to hand back Malta to the Knights of St. John, in accordance with the Treaty. In October 1805, at Trafalgar, Nelson removed the threat of French invasion, which had led to the raising of some infantry regiment’s 2nd battalions, notably those of the 31st, the 35th, the 37th and the 67th. The Napoleonic War, which involved most European nations against France, continued until Napoleon Bonaparte was finally defeated by the allies at Waterloo on the 18th June 1815. The 1st Battalion of the 35th (Sussex) Regiment helped defeat the French at Maida in Italy in 1806, but the main British contribution to the War was in Portugal and Spain, in what was called the Peninsular War. THE PENINSULAR WAR 1808–1814 The Queen’s, The Buffs (East Kent), 31st (Huntingdonshire), 37th (North Hampshire), 50th (West Kent), 57th (West Middlesex), 67th (South Hampshire) and 77th (East Middlesex) all took part in the Peninsular campaign. The battle honours of Vimiera, Corunna, Douro, Talavera, Barrosa, Albuhera, Ciudad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Almaraz, Salamanca, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive, Orthes, Toulouse and Peninsula were won by forebear regiments. It is not surprising that the second Regimental Day of The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment, Albuhera, comes from this War.

Following initial allied successes against General Junot in Portugal during 1808, Napoleon decided to intervene personally. This compelled the force under Sir John Moore to withdraw to Corunna for evacuation by the British fleet. The Queen’s, 50th and a company of The Buffs were amongst this exhausted army when it reached the port of Corunna and found that the ships had not yet arrived. On the 16th January 1809, the French Marshal Soult attacked the allied force and was defeated. The 50th repeated the bayonet charges, which the French had been unable to face at Vimiera and their commanders’ success was acknowledged by Sir John Moore who cried ‘Well done my majors!’ the majors were Sir Charles Napier and the fatally wounded Charles Stanhope. Both were to be remembered by the toast to the ‘Corunna Majors’ on the anniversary of the battle by The Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment and, celebrated in later years by the 2nd Battalion The Queen’s Regiment.

Excellent Fifth Chapter! (of course)

This Wellington fellow is way too snooty for my tastes (no surprise there), but he knows how to pick his battles and wisely backed down from taking on the Prince and his new "Spanish" general. I suspect perhaps he had to inwardly admit at least a little more respect for Thomas than his most recent comments portrayed. I'm glad he decided to seek out the real truth of the matter, and hope we will later read that he was able to do so, and that Beresford gets what he deserves.

Col. Lewis is a good man. I’m glad he was there, and that he enjoyed the moment. It’s good that he is Thomas’ friend.

But best of all, Thomas is back to what he prefers to be doing, and is so good at… giving the French hell. Although he’s very serious about it, and concerned about doing it in a way that protects his men, he must be a much happier young man now that he’s out in the field again. No more laying around and following his surgeon’s orders, and no more political games with higher ranking masters.

I almost referred to Thomas as a boy just now. But I guess he’s really a young man, having just turned fifteen. He has title, position, a Spanish estate, wealth, and most importantly friends and a mission he’s determined to fulfill. Wow… what big changes in not quite four years!

His earlier life in Limehouse must seem so far away now in many ways, if he ever has time to think of those days.

Several times I’ve gone back and reread how we were introduced to Thomas.

Thomas Marking sat with a hungry look on his young face as he watched his careworn mother prepare their evening meal. Thomas had very little and his hopes and dreams had long ago been put aside and forgotten. The destitution of Limehouse and its environs gave little hope for any boy’s future let alone one who was thin and underfed.

The times had been hard for all of them but more so for the young boy. He had no chance of an education and very little prospects for a good job in trade or any other of the jobs available to the poor. Thomas was lucky that his father had taught him how to sign his name and read from the book of regulations. He could also do his sums right up to fifty. It was the only education he had gotten.

Cromwell looked down at his only son. The boy was barely eleven years old and was nothing more than skin and bones, the rags he wore were the only ones he had. Tears welled up once again as he tried to remember what he really wanted for his son before he was hit by the grape shot and all his dreams disappeared…

Cromwell looked at the skinny boy sitting before him. The boy just might have a chance at something better, where as if he kept him home there was very little chance of anything.

Yes… big changes. Thomas' life now is not easy. But it is definitely "something better."

I have been waiting since just before Thanksgiving, to get this chapter published, as it is my favorite chapter. So far.

Being just a lowly American, perhaps I have gotten the nuances wrong, but this is how I viewed what happened at the ball. When Wellington bowed to the inevitable and acknowledged Thomas Marking as a General, he also acknowledged Don Thomasino as being near on par with his own status as Viscount; Wealthy, Landed and of Rank. In the eyes of the arrogant English, Wellington received his comeuppance. To save face, Wellington had no choice than to convene an immediate inquiry into the report furnished by Beresford. Beresford himself has just been given a slap to his dignity, but one that cannot be answered on the dueling field.

Of course, I don't believe we have seen the last of the Viscount, nor the last of Beresford. <-- Nothing I know for certain, just looking ahead at the battles of the Peninsular War.

Our favourite general is on the move once again. It seems the British will be pushed to the sidelines if only temporarily while Thomas reinstills the French with fear. I hope the Viscount Wellington remains an ally to the Cortes by straightening out Beresford. 

As a history enthusiast and attempted polymath, I found Drummer Boy fits the image I previously formed of the era. So much so that I often need to remind myself of the fact that I am not reading a research paper! (I blame Loki if I start lecturing on the exploits of General Thomasino to my students.)

And to our author, I wish you the best of health.

Till next time,

On 12/24/2016 at 11:52 AM, R08m4rv said:

I have a feeling that The  Viscount Wellington will deal with the fool "Beresford" in a not very happy way for not checking the older "Perrin" brothers report fully. Now that the older Perrin   has resigned his commission he is looking to join Thomas and his younger brother " Buttons"( no mention of him so far) to continue the fight to remove the French form Spain.

I have slightly edited the name from Chelsea to Wellington.

In hindsight I was looking forward to Thomas pulling something like the surprise that the Prince had planned. It was executed perfectly with the De La Guerra and the entrance of Thomas and his Officers.

As the first drummer began the long drum roll, one at a time the others began to join in. While the drum roll was being played, the Prince saw Mister Percy pull a handkerchief from his pocket and cover his lower face as he pretended to cough.

"Is there something disturbing you Colonel?" The Prince asked with a smile on his face. Percy looked at the Prince and even the crinkles at the corner of his eyes told he was trying not to laugh out loud in front of all the Officers.

"Not at all Your Highness, I just had a sudden thought of what we are about to see and the reactions it may cause."

I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter. I hope that the viscount wil really investigate, but considering this 

Viscount Wellington looked at the two main protagonists, of them both he was for some reason more inclined to believe the young man who had saved his bacon more than once.

I feel that he wil.

Ofcourse Beresford is still in the country i am just curious if his title of Marshall wil be revoked if he is found guilty. I know promotions and demotions were common up to the rank of Colonel so i do not see him demoted so quickly although i wil not say that it is impossible merely that i believe it to be Not the done thing under the Upper echelon of the Generals. That being said i do not know how it is done with titles so time wil tell.

I Am overjoyed to see that Thomas and his 1r Regimento Espanol Guerrillas are out in the field again doing what they do best, in other words harrassing the French and instilling more fear into them.

Here is something I found while looking up the battle of Albuera. It's that lying toerag  Beresford. And whoever painted that needs Thomas to sort them out as well. Looking forward to tomorrows chapter, I wonder if Beresford will be sent back to face the Viscount Chelsea ? Love to be a fly on the wall for that meeting.

Marechal_Beresford-Coudelaria_de_Alter_(Pt.).jpg

Interesting chapter!   Nice to read about how well Young Snot regards and performs his duties assigned by Thomas. He's growing up, as are the other boys in Thomas' legions. It's also interesting to read of several tangible examples of the respect the common people, including dock workers in Lisbon have for the Patron El Toro. And, then there is also the surprising awareness and respect of common sailors for the Council, its long reach across the continent, and its power. I was surprised when this drunken, scruffy, down on his luck captain of a poorly-maintained ship recognized the Council's sign and immediately offered his assistance even if it would have meant an even greater financial loss for his ship. The too-brief mention at the chapter's end of Snot's visit to Thomas' family was good to read. I'm glad to know they'd been told Thomas was alive, but obviously they were delighted to have someone who could really tell them much more about how their son is doing and maybe a little about what his life is like. It was very thoughtful of Snot to go visit them, and I'm glad to see that he is enjoying a sense of a "normal" family.  All in all... this was a "comfortable" chapter (well-written, as always). 

A totaly different chapter than we are use to seeing. With this chapter we get to know Snot much better than befer. Will this make Snot a major player in this story? Time will tell. I wonder when the Marking family will join their son and move to his estates. Well, that is just another thing we will have to wait and see. Thursday just can not get here fast enuff.