Drummer Boy: The Road North

Castle Herald

But Sircody...as Arthur has described him, even looking at himself in the mirror..he has become a gaunt, underweight and ailing fourteen year old lucky to be alive and very unlikely to strike up any kind of romance soon...the kid has to survive being shot first...he already has an army of friends...that's as far as it has gotten him..

On 12/16/2016 at 10:50 AM, Al Norris said:

Tinker, there is no need to thank me. This is all Arthur's doing!

As for the rest of y'all's questions... It's so dang hard to keep my mouth shut!

Oh we're not asking you to TELL us what you know happens next, Al.   Just post it faster so we can read it for ourselves!  hehehehehe...  (I know, I know... I've been frequently lectured about patience...)

Another great chapter from Arthur.

I can foresee another duel coming up and a lying,conniving jumped up "Marshal" will be dispatched by Thomas, as he reclaims his name from the Roll of the fallen.

Now that would be well worth waiting for, with Wellington as the Marshal's second and having to report to the   Viscount Chelsea, Field Marshal the Earl of Cadogan
CIC His Majesties Forces to explain why Thomas is still alive.

What i don't really get is how in just a few chapters Beresford went from General under Wellesley to Marshall which would outrank Wellesley although Wellesley is higher in the peers group being a viscount i believe.

As for the viscount Chelsea i have the feeling he wishes Thomas nothing but the best, although maybe i missed something when reading those chapters in book 1. As for Wellesley and Beresford In Book 1 we read that Wellesley was sent back after being cleared of the affairs at Sintra and put in full  charge of the allied forces. We read nothing about Beresford now having being given full command over anything but his own regiment.

The "Marshal" was an honorary rank, Beresford is still a General, which is the reason that Thomas can call him to a duel as they are the same rank. With Mr. Percy and the rest of the members of the secret society's help we can be sure that Thomas will get his name back too. I see a Title from the King looming as an apology for the misinformation and total bullheadedness of the " Officers" at ROLICA and afterwards.

I was about to post a simple but sincere, "Another great chapter!" ...but maybe I should re-read it. I must have missed some of it.  There's going to be a duel between Thomas and Beresford?  Was that in the chapter we just read (Bk. II, Ch 3)?  

Someone else posted a comment about Thomas' poor parents and young brother... and the pain and loss they must be feeling at the news of his death.  I had thought the same, and for their sake, if for no one else, I look forward to the correction of that misinformation.  (Although it will indeed be interesting to also see how it his handled in the army's high command.)

Taylor

I intended to also mention that I'm continually impressed with Thomas' demonstration of his caring and classy nature... as in his concern for Mr. De Silva and all their injured men, and how he received and treated the young cobbler's son. Thomas is a good man. Obviously he gets some of it from his modest, caring parents, but since they only had 11 short years to influence him, much of it must be natural.

His strategic thinking/planning must also come naturally... but probably enhanced by his need to be smart and defensive as a small boy growing up in a rough London neighborhood.

Tinker, there was not any mention of a duel in the chapters. R08m just said he could foresee the possibility of a duel. I, on the other hand, don't think there will be a duel as Thomas will just rub it in their faces that not only is he still alive but as a General of the Spanish he is now their equal and doesn't have to do things their way.

Book 2 is every bit as good as 1 was and might be better. Good work, Arthur!

I am infinitely happy to see Thomas has made it back to the Vimeiro Home Valley. I am also impressed with his caring towards his men, I have to agree with Tinker, Thomas definitely must have a lot of natural empathy and caring for the boys and men who have become his family away from his birth family. His devotion to duty i think is also admirable and he has made it his duty to help evict the french from spanish and portugese soil. As i read Thomas i do not think he' ll rub anyones face in the fact that he is now a General, I just do not see him acting like that, that his sudden re-appearrance wil turn a number of heads and surprise quite a few senior officers is without a doubt going to be an event, but to actually rub their face in his current rank and station no. I do see him telling them that they threw him and his men away so this is what they reap. The king apologising is also not something i see happening, maybe the secretary of war but not the king. I have a feeling Tinker that the correction of the misinformation to Thomas's birth family wil not come about until he himself either shows up on their doorstep or sends for them after the war. I am not saying that that is definitely what wil happen just a feeling i have.

This was without a doubt another superb chapter written by the very very talented story teller we all love and know as Arthur.

Arthur, ko te kingi i roto kaituhi koutou

dtm180, I think you are correct about Thomas and I did not mean it a proactive way but just by his showing up and doing things his own way. However, there is Carmello and the others who do not take kindly to any slight given their Patron and they are not above doing something.

Things are about to get v-e-r-y interesting to say the least.

dtm180 - Maori -- really?    cool!

I hope you're right about Thomas just suddenly appearing to his family... as their first clue that he isn't dead.  That would be LOTS more dramatic! Geeze... I hate to admit how many times already this story has brought tears to my eyes.

Right!  George III say, "Oops! Sorry!" ...about anything? Nope. Never gonna happen.   But, yeah, maybe that senior war department guy he met with once in Book 1... he was pretty empathetic and even loaned Thomas his own officer insignia as he promoted him (if I remember correctly), and he's buddies with Ol' Percy,too... so maybe he will appear again and defend Thomas if the other toffs all pile on him about daring not to be dead.

Sorry I misunderstood the earlier speculation about perhaps having a duel between Thomas and that stupid Beresford fellow.

yeah 1/32 orso Maori, just havent had Maori studies in just about 30 years lol.

I hope i am right aswell Tinker, but only Arthur knows for sure how it wil go. As for that Senior war department guy, That was his excellentie The Commander-in-Chief of the Army, Field-Marshall The Earl of Cadogan aka The Viscount Chelsea. and as i read it he gave his own old rank insignia that his father had given to him as he climbed the ranks over to Thomas stating that he would be honoured if Thomas was to wear them. I am leaning to saying that neither the Viscount Wellington nor the Marshall Beresford was aware of this or they may have decided to not use/sacrifice Thomas in the fashion they did.

Jeikor, i have to admit you make a valid point with Carmelo and Estaban not taking kindly to anyone who would slight Thomas. However Carmelo also has to consider that his own father is a british officer so anything Carmelo does is likely to be covertly done and yes Carmelo is a master in covert operations lol.

22 hours ago, dtm180 said:

I have a feeling Tinker that the correction of the misinformation to Thomas's birth family wil not come about until he himself either shows up on their doorstep or sends for them after the war. I am not saying that that is definitely what wil happen just a feeling i have.

If a certain "Henry Morgan" was the person who sold the cottage to Thomas parents, then I presume that they may already know that Thomas is alive and well. The Council of the Black Hand will surely also look out for Thomas's younger brother as well as his parents. Mr.Percy is aware that Thomas is now well recovered and has covertly replaced the guns that were lost at Olivenca. I have a feeling that The  Viscount Chelsea will deal with the fool "Beresford" in a not very happy way for not checking the older "Perrin" brothers report fully. Now that the older Perrin   has resigned his commission he is looking to join Thomas and his younger brother " Buttons"( no mention of him so far) to continue the fight to remove the French form Spain.

I will have to wait until the 30th Dec to read the next, gripping and sometimes tear jerking (I admit it does to ) chapter in this extremely fantastically written and researched story.

Edited by R08m4rv
Wrong battle

On 12/24/2016 at 4:52 AM, R08m4rv said:

If a certain "Henry Morgan" was the person who sold the cottage to Thomas parents, then I presume that they may already know that Thomas is alive and well. The Council of the Black Hand will surely also look out for Thomas's younger brother as well as his parents.

Ahhhhhh... good catch R08m4rv !  I'd totally missed the connecting dots between the Black Hand and the person who provided the cottage for Thomas' parents and brother. That's a really pleasant thought... that the Black Hand/Mr. Percy are watching over Thomas' family for him.  Hope so!  Thanks for suggesting it!

Have I missed something, in Chapter 4, suddenly Oliver Perrin has appeared, have I missed something somewhere in the text about this journey once he left the Marshals army to find his brother and Join Thomas's army. How was the reunion, that would have been a tear jerker as neither would have known if they had lived through both battles. and did he bring what was left of his company with him when he resigned his commission, as his men had been accused of cowardliness by the Marshal and his senior staff. I puzzle how he found found Thomas and his army as it was located in two places across Spain.

But still a good story.

14 hours ago, SussexBoi said:

Have I missed something, in Chapter 4, suddenly Oliver Perrin has appeared, have I missed something somewhere in the text about this journey once he left the Marshals army to find his brother and Join Thomas's army. How was the reunion, that would have been a tear jerker as neither would have known if they had lived through both battles. and did he bring what was left of his company with him when he resigned his commission, as his men had been accused of cowardliness by the Marshal and his senior staff. I puzzle how he found found Thomas and his army as it was located in two places across Spain.

But still a good story.

Nope. You didn't miss a thing.

If you read a lot of what Arthur writes, you will find that he inserts a "few" red herrings into his stories. Making you think he will come back to a section with an explanation, when in reality he simply moves on. In some circles it would be called, "dangling plot lines". Others are more polite and would say that the author simply forgot.

Arthur will get this evil grin on his face, and point-blank tell you that it was the influence of Loki.

The correct answer is (and trust me on this), Loki.

Now as far as to where General Markings army is... Only those necessary were at the hacienda in Andalusia (Spain). The rest were in Vimeiro, which is in Portugal (Google Maps is almost essential to follow where the action is. All the places Arthur mentions are real places).

I hope this helps.
Al