The Deserted Beach

Kyle Aarons

Vorador glances at Zem, "Look, I am just not interested in arguments. I kept the kids in the Orpahnage in line for the adults since I am older than the others even though some may have seemed older. I am not about to be a peace keeper here, I don't even want to be here. I want to be back with my orpahange mates. But just snagging all the magic is... well the old dwarf used to use a switch on the backs of our legs for snagging all the best candy, and I kind of see this the same way. Take the regular stuff you want, sure, I can see that, but magic is like candy, no one should take it all."

As for where I leaned my stuff, I was donw in the deep sewars below Old Port and came acorss something... It called to me and the same basic thing that happend to us last night, or however long ago happend to me down there. The is a whole Ancinet city below the sewars we were in and it is very dangerous, but it is filled with power. The item, a book on a silver alter, protected me and transported me back to my orphanage bed. It taught me things, deep magical secrets, and this latest explosion of magic has added to the knowledge, but enough about my luck trying to find treasure. We need to... no... you all, one of the adutls... you need to get those kids straight and I am not going to lead or help take care of a bunch rich brats that basically treated me like sewar rat turds!"

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zemzelett sighs.  Vorador thinks he's being greedy by taking all the magic items, when all he wanted to do was identify what the ring, amulet, and dagger does.  He's fairly certain the amulet offers a fair bit of protection, having blocked several of Barret's blows and even shrugging off a particularly nasty strike by Reld.  He opens his mouth as to argue, but it appears the half-elf has made up his mind.  Perhaps he ought to defuse things a bit first and apologize.

"You're right, and I'm sorry.  I know you don't want them, but please hold on to these, and we'll have a discussion when the others return from the hunt.  I trust you."

"You know, I didn't want to come here either, but here we are, and we gotta make the best out of it.  It's like that old saying, you know?  If the wolf comes to your door, make lemonade.  Or something like that!  This is a very nice place, but I really wish I were back in Old Port so I can look for my parents.  But if we stick together, I'm sure all will be well."  

And in a whisper, "As long as Eghas doesn't try anything dramatic!"

Zemzelett scrunches his head -- for the first time since awakening, he wonders where they are.  The trees look out of the ordinary -- has he ever seen something like them before?  "And yeah, we'll get them straightened out.  And don't worry, I think every time you look at his direction, Gothan pisses his pants!" he snickers.

Hand over artifacts to Vorador.

Knowledge Check: Where are we?

Zemzelett's eyes widen as he realized what these strange looking trees are, and why the weather was unseasonably warm.  Heading back towards the group, and making sure the five former captives were unable to eavesdrop, he motioned for the Brigade formerly known as the Stink Brigade to join him.

"Guys.  Those trees... they're called palm, and grow only in warmer climates because they can't survive the winter cold.  Our Troupe traveled south many years ago, but I don't remember much about it.  All I know is, we're a long, long way from Old Port.  Three hundred leagues at least!"

Letting out a groan, the half-elf moaned, "What are we going to do?"

Eghas looks down towards the beach, stops and grins.  "Well my hunting is over..."  He goes to his pack and pulls out a cooking pot.  then up to the kids.  He sighs, then walks up towards them.  when he gets close, he squats down so as to be on closer eye level.  "Hey guys.  I know you have all been through a bunch of shit lately, but that's over.  the problem is, we're all a long way from home.  I know you;re scared, we all are, but we need to all work together to get back home.  Right now, we need you guys to get up, and help us get stuff ready for dinner.  then we can all sit down, get to know each other, and decide what to do from here.  we need you guys to help us.  will you?"

Gothan moves up to the others while loking back over his shoulder nervously toward Vorador, "Um, I will help and can get the rest to, but... um... well we were punished badly for talking and junk, so um... Maybe if I can get them their items back and... um, is he going to keep my spell book?" He glances over to Innil then Elan'fall, clearly confused over which Elf actaully picked up his book. He glanced over at Eghas again, "if you tell us what you want, we aren't going to argue. Getting our bare feet whipped is not something any of us want to feel again, and that is what happened when we didn't do exactly what we are told and I really don't want to go into what happened when I tried to escape and shot a cantrip at Twitch."

Eghas shakes his head. "none of you will be harmed.  of that you have my word.  We will not be your masters, but we.. I... will look after you all until we can get back to old port.  We will need you guys to help out, but i promise you, we will not mistreat you, or harm you in any way.  i am sorry that we will probably not be able to give you the same comfort level you are used to, but i promise you, if you work with us, pull your weight, and do what you are asked, we will do all we can to finish up your training, so that when we do get back to Old Port, you will be ready to be guilded, if that is your desire." 

He looks over to Elan'fal.  "Hey, do you have this boy's spell book?"

He looks back to all the kids.  "What say you?"

After I help Reld get his armor off I strip again and jump into the stream and rinse the salt off. Barrett looks back at Reld and smiles "Come on in the water is fine." He rinses quickly and climbs back out he trys to pat himself dry and get dressed. He looks around to see if there is any wood for a fire. He yells back over his shoulder "Reld Let me know when you are ready to get geared back up. Anyone know how to fish?"

"What Eghas has told you is true. We were sent to rescue you but we are all now much farther from Old Port than planned. We will need your willing help to get back. The adventure might help in your growth and at the least give you some stories to tell your other friends." Innil says with a smile. "I am Innil Siannodel the Archer at your service." Innil gives a short bow.

"Umm, excuse me sirs." Zemzelett pipes up, finally breaking his silence. "I was looking through the equipment packs. There are a lot of trail rations - enough to last all thirteen of us for at least six days. We don't need to hunt, right? At least not yet."

Approaching the children he scared earlier, Zemzelett did a series of backflips, with the last one culminating in a 360-degree spin. "Presenting... Zemzelett the Acrobatic, of the Cantertrot Performance Troupe, at your service! Sorry for earlier, but I needed to snap you out of it. Are you all good to walk?"

Performance on the kids.

One of the four boys stands, pauses to make sure he is not going to be hit, smiles at Zem for an instant and  eyes Eghas bofore nodding, "All of us have two to three years of training in the guild schools and it was Talrc's wish we become adventurers so we know some stuff, but learned very qucikly we didn't know enough. We treid to fight then tired to escape twice. Bad moves on our parts all three times. We paid for it with pain, hunger, and other mistretments, but we are not totally helpless. I was voted as the leader on the last three votes. If you want me to help get the others to do what you want, we all agreed  to follow my lead. We would dearly like our stuff back, but we... I... accept you will give us what you feel we deserve and will try not to complain." He then looks back a the other three, "Guys, move your butts or go hungry, they want help getting food and I for one want a real cooked meal for the first time in recent memory!"

This seems to get through to the others and the get up move down toward the water on shaky legs. They all start helping to collet crabs. The boy who spoke to Eghas eyes the three magic items Vorador tossed back onto the pile of loot. He glanced over at Vorador, "Look, I don't know you, and as far as I know have never seen you before I was looking out the window with them getting ready to cut off my arm. If one of us did something to you, I'm sorry. Let me try to make it right  and give you a couple of points of knowledge. The dagger belonged to Talarc's personal gaurd and is only lightly magical, but will glow with the command phrase of "Golden Rod" (+1 dagger with torch light on command) The ring provided some shielding, and was used by the Sergent of the palace watch. (Ring of Protection +1) I have never seen the amulet before, and was not from anyone in the palace or any of our houses." He only gets a cold stare so he bakcs off and a couple of you can herar him asking who did what to the half-elf. One of the others shoots a glance over at Gothan and one of the others and shakes his head while saying something.

"Good point, Sir Innil."  Zemzelett responds.  

Out of the corner of his eye, he notices one of the boys approaching Vorador to talk, but it looks like the half-elf didn't want anything to do with them.  Wishing to defuse the tension, he approaches Vorador.  "Come on, let's get us some crabs.  A meal that isn't rations does kind of sound appealing.  If only I had my utensils, I can cook too!"

Zem drags Vorador over to a section of beach where the boys aren't gathering crabs.  Wading into the waters, he catches sight of a crab and lunges for one, but the sight of its pincers drove him back.  The half-elf then has a flash of inspiration.  Taking out his newly-procured viol, he sang a lullaby:

♪ Rock-a-bye beach crabs on the seashore

When the waves crest, the beach crabs will soar

When the waves break, the beach crabs will fall

So now we can catch them, and cook them all. ♫

That should make them easier to catch, Zemzelett thinks.  "Let's go crabbing!"

Action: Sleep on area centered around Zemzelett.  Both Zem and Vorador are immune to Sleep.

Reld does not take long to bathe, but does use soap and looks clean. He puts on his loin cloth, hefts up his axe and moves up into the rocks, "Yo!" he shouts real loud, "Rich boys, get over here and get some of this wood while I stand gaurd for you!" He then points right at one of the five, "Yeah, you, The one who always sat on the front row of the upper deck of the arena and shouted how preditcable I was, get over here and get some of this wood, the boss wants a fire and you can help him make one!"

Barrett cant help himself and steals a glance at Reld in his lion cloth. Then immediately turns back to the task at hand. And begins helping collect crabs. "Nobody go to far stay in view of the beach."

"Quilten can you keep Guard on that side of the beach for us please."  

((just to point out something... this is not dinner.  the sun was just rising when we woke up, so this would have been breakfast....)))

After everyone has eaten, and Barrett moves off to say his prayers, Eghas looks to the kids, then to Vorador and Reld.  "I know there is some history between you all.  i wish to try and put that to rest now, since we will have to work together."  He take a long look at the group of five kids.  "I hear you say that you wanted to be an adventuring group.  looks like you got your wish long before you thought you would.  one of the things you will have to learn is that your family name, or title, or how you grew up means nothing anymore."  He looks to the counts kid especially.  "Just because you are a member of royalty or whatever does not mean that you will be treated better out here.  The enemy will not care who your father is, or anything like that."  He pauses or a moment, then continues.  "I do not say this to make you feel bad, or anything of the like. i am simply explaining to you the cold hard facts."

He motions to what they are wearing.  "Your clothing... i heard you call them rags.  Sorry lads, many people would love to have those rags.  they're better then what they had in the past.  I grew up an urchin..."  He points to Quelten.  "He grew up a noble.  Out here we are the same.  only our actions and how much we pull our own weight matters now.  the quicker you grow to accept that, the better off you will be.  I have heard some of what happened between Reld, Vorador, and you, in the past.  i hate to say it, but as of now, if they tell you something to do, you will do it.  for now, you are apprenticed to us, and you will act like it.  in turn..."  HE looks at Vorador and Reld.  "We will treat you as proper apprentices, meaning we will teach you, protect you, and help you grow.  remember, we don't have to like each other, but we WILL respect each other. because all of our lives depend on it."

"Now, unless anyone objects, i feel it would be best to stay here, go through the equipment and see what we can use, pack the rest up, and distribute it amongst the horses.  I would like for each of you five to gather the equipment that you had, as well as go through the equipment over there, and take what you can use.  We will make sure that you do not over burden yourselves, as we will be doing a lot of walking i think.  we can spend the day making sure you are comfortable with what you have, as well as making sure the equipment we get is as functional as we can make it.  If you have a question, ask it.  if you do not, you have no one but yourself to blame if something bad happens.  We will treat you properly, but you will all be expected to full your own weight."

"Now, please take a moment, and tell us your names, and what you are training to be.  from there we will introduce ourselves, and see who would be best to continue your training while we travel back to Old Port."

After a long discussion with the boys while eating and settling them down sme this is what you find out about them:

Luth Therkod — Age 12  Human training in Fighter

Proficient skills: Animal Handling +3, History +4, Intimidation +3, Persuasion +3
Non-proficient skills: Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Athletics +2, Deception +1, Insight +1, Investigation +2, Medicine +1, Nature +2, Perception +1, Perform +1, Religion +2, Sleight of Hand +1, Stealth +1, Survival +1
Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Halfling     Other proficiencies: Dragon Chess
Abilities: Fighting Style (Archery), Second Wind

Reinlor Kelderhand — Age 13 Human training in Cleric- Zerris (Light domain)

Proficient skills: History +3, Medicine +4, Persuasion +3, Religion +3
Non-proficient skills: Acrobatics +1, Animal Handling +2, Arcana +1, Athletics +2, Deception +1, Insight +2, Intimidation +1, Investigation +1, Nature +1, Perception +2, Perform +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Stealth +1, Survival +2
Languages: Common, Orc, Giant     Other proficiencies: Dragon chess
Abilities: Spellcasting, Divine Domain, Bonus proficiency, Warding Flare
Cantrips:  Light, Mending

Melirel Vackman — Age 13 Human training in Rogue (is groups elected leader & very close to being fully trained)

Proficient skills: History +5 (Expertise), Investigation +3, Perception +3, Perform +4, Persuasion +4, Stealth +4, Expert with Thieves' Tools
Non-proficient skills: Acrobatics +2, Animal Handling +1, Arcana +1, Athletics +1, Deception +2, Insight +1, Intimidation +2, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Religion +1, Sleight of Hand +2, Survival +1
Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Goblin, Gnoll     Other proficiencies: Dragon Chess
Abilities: Expertise, Sneak Attack (1d6)

Talarc Sokyeth— Age 12 Human training in Sorcerer (Wild Magic)

Proficient skills: Arcana +3, History +3, Insight +3, Persuasion +4
Non-proficient skills: Acrobatics +1, Animal Handling +1, Athletics +1, Deception +2, Intimidation +2, Investigation +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Perform +2, Religion +1, Sleight of Hand +1, Stealth +1, Survival +1
Languages: Common, Halfling, Elvish     Other proficiencies: Dragon Chess
Abilities: Spellcasting, Wild Magic Surge, Tides of Chaos
Cantrips: Dancing Lights, Ray of Frost

Gothan Osenlend— Age 12 Human training in Wizard

Proficient skills: Arcana +4, History +4, Insight +3, Persuasion +3
Non-proficient skills: Acrobatics +2, Animal Handling +1, Athletics +1, Deception +1, Intimidation +1, Investigation +2, Medicine +1, Nature +2, Perception +1, Perform +1, Religion +2, Sleight of Hand +2, Stealth +2, Survival +1
Languages: Common, Goblin, Draconic     Other proficiencies: Dragon Chess
Abilities: Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery

Spellbook: Find Familiar, Jump, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Thunderwave
Cantrips: Acid Splash, Blade Ward

After eating, Quelten smiles and walks up beside Reld, pulling him aside for a quick chat.  "You did a decent job of fighting back at the tower," he starts affably.  "Your training as a gladiator training showed through loud and clear."

"The issue we face now, however, is exactly what gladiator training is designed to not provide you.  Logistics and personnel management.  Or for a small groups like this, you might prefer the phrases 'supplies' and 'getting along with each other'."  Quelten looks Reld square in the face.  "I'm hardly a shining example of the latter, but you know, strangely enough I seem to be the only one willing and able to call you out over this."

Every trace of amiability vanishes instantly from Quelten's face, and his voice turns hard as steel.  "In the heirarchy of this little adventuring party, you outrank the kids we rescued.  That I will concede as a given.  You can give them orders.  But if you continue to treat them like you have been, you and I are going to have a little discussion.  You won't like that discussion."

"So.  I would say treat them as squires, as trainees, but somehow I suspect that that is what you think you have been doing.  Assuming you've been thinking at all.  So I'm going to give you a few rules to live by."

"First is common courtesy.  I'm not going to say you have to use 'please' and 'thank you' every single time.  You can in fact give them orders, and they must follow.  But you will phrase those orders with a degree of courtesy.  And to be very specific, you will avoid phrases designed to denigrate them, or bring up unpleasant history.  If you want to call me a spoiled brat, go right ahead.  I'm your peer, if I take exception to your use of the phrase I can take it up with you myself.  But next time I hear you using that phrase to insult one of them, we're going to have that discussion.  And note the word 'insult' vs 'describe'."

"Second rule is that they are not your servants.  They are not your maids, they are not your whores, they are not any of a thousand other denigrating positions you might wish of them.  They are trainees.  Their job in live is to learn, and yours to teach.  If that teaching is how to set up camp, so be it.  But they are not here to make your life easier.  They are not here simply to handle camp chores.  If you want to teach them something about setting up camp, or if you're wanting them to do a job so you can focus on something else, so be it.  Just reference rule number one."

"I could go on a bit, but I think those two cover what we need to cover for now," Quelten smiles as fakely as he can.  "If you don't like these rules, please feel free to take them up with Barret, or Eghas, or Innefal, or any other party member.  Just remember, make sure to do it where the kids can't hear you.  Just like I made sure to pull you aside for a private conversation."

"If you'd like some pointers on courtesy, chivalry, or any of the many other wonderful things I could teach you, I'm going to be keeping guard over there," Quelten points to one end of the beach.  "Feel free to drop by and talk.  I'll just be meditating on my new god, so I'll have plenty of time to talk."

Eghas looks at Quelten and grins, although not much humor is present.  "Common Courtesy?  Chivalry?  I am rather shocked that you know the meaning of those words, given some of your actions in the past."  He slaps Quelten on the shoulder as he walks off laughing.