Kandric Saga

Zach Caldwell

Hmmm. "Klandon" did not reveal anything to Glaster, if I recall it correctly, the shaman figured it out based on rune marks on the boy's ankle. 

Yes, Glaster ultimately communicated this fact to Lannet and Wyrhem and it could potentially have reached Aster and Pocet, but the dialogue specifically says "Zoldon" gave them the name "Klandon".

Z,

you are looking at the whole Zoldon/Klandon switch fro the perspective of the reader, not Sardan when he first hears the name. Zoldon is dead and in the royal crypt as far as Sardan knows at the point he hears the name. It was a baby who died at child birth, so there is zero reason for Sardan to suspect he is looking at the son of King Whyrem.

Kandric 27, near the end. 

The boy shook his head, “Not me… the Prince.”

“The Prince?” Aster asked as he felt some alarm bells going off inside his head.

The boy nodded, “The man… the one who took me, plus the one who did this to me… A small woman came in… she took over…” The boy took a couple of deep breaths. “She said they needed to find where Prince Zoldon is.”

“Zoldon?” Aster glanced around. “Zoldon is a slave, not a Prince.”

Sardan cocked his head sharply to the side as he used a talon to scratch at the feathers on his head. “I hate to say this, Aster, but there was a Prince Zoldon. He was the twin of Prince Klandon…”

“Klandon was the other name Zoldon gave us!” Pocet shouted.

Except, Zoldon never told them to my recollection.  From Chapter 12:

The boy swallowed very hard, "Zoldon."

"Your name is Zoldon?"

"I do not think so Master."

Aster shook his head in confusion; "You don't think so? Explain please."

"I cannot Master."

Aster could feel himself becoming aggravated. The last thing he wanted was to scare the boy any more but he had to get some kind of information.

Olinday saw Aster's deepening frown as he secured the last of the tie downs. "Master may I ask a few questions?"

Aster nodded, "Just be nice about how you ask them."

"Oh, I will. I am a slave just like he is."

Aster glanced at the boy in his arms; "I want you to answer his questions, understood?"

"Yes Master." The boy answered miserably.

"Go ahead and ask Olinday."

Olinday knelt, "Who do you belong to now?"

"Him." The boy pointed at Aster.

"OK, so you have new rules to learn, just like I do. I had to select a name because my new master required me to do so. I have to learn other things as well, like how to set up a traveling forge and pack it up when he is done.

"Part of our duty to our master is to obey. Our new master is very fair and nice so it is easy for me to do what he wants. The same should true for you. He has not beaten you; he has not demanded anything at all until now. He wants to know about you and you should answer him because he owns you, right?"

The boy shuddered but nodded

"So let's start out with your name. How come you are not sure if your name is Zoldon?"

The boy nervously rubbed his wrists before finally deciding to speak. "I do not know why, but I do not think my name is Zoldon. All I can remember is being hit over and over until I said the words ‘My name is Zoldon'. It was the only thing I was allowed to say. Sometimes I had to do it ten or more times a day."

Olinday didn't look nearly as bothered by this as Aster did. "Your old master wanted you to have the name Zoldon. He owned you so it was his right. Now you have a new owner who can pick your name, let you select one, or keep your name as Zoldon. It is up to him."

Aster interrupted, "For now we will call you Zoldon."

The boy cringed, "Then my name is Zoldon Master."

• 8 months later...

lol!
You know how I really hate to rain on anyone’s parade...

• Kandric 12 was posted on 14 Sep 2015
  • Kandric 13 was posted on 3 Oct 16
  • Kandric 14 was posted on 6 Oct 16
  • Kandric 15 was posted on 10 Oct 16
  • Kandric 16 was posted on 17 Oct 16
  • Kandric 17 was posted on 20 Oct 16
  • Kandric 18 was posted on 24 Oct 16

That's 6 in just over 3 weeks. (But who's counting?)