Kandric Saga

Zach Caldwell

Heeeyyyy now, I did say that they are downright vicious (and was something I looked forward to the entire chapter)! Those battle tactics and weapons have been honed to such an extent that it's routine to them, even calling a tool that essentially flays a dragon alive the same name one might call a kitchen utensil for handling fish.

However, these tactics seem to be optimized for dragons with freeze breath and icy coughs. I doubt that strategy would be as effective against a green with poison breath or a red with fire breath. But then again maybe they do have something against these, but just did not bust them out.

As far as low-powered groups go, which I define as one without someone who is one of Kandric's siblings or at least master echelon or higher, I would say I am most invested in Klent's group. There are three reasons:

1. We have known this particular group the longest. By this measure, the second group I care about the most is the whipping boy group. The others, we either barely know, or are just recently getting an introduction to their background 

2. Klent is one of those (other than Glaster and Lannet) who received dreams from the gods, and he continues to do it in this chapter. So far, he hasn't done anything that has a huge effect (he just played a peripheral role in unmasking the corruption of Rolling Dale, and rescued Rylop and his crew.

3. It would be interesting to see how Klent and Quavis' story play out, which seems to be the case as he is heading in Quavis' direction.

Okay guys, I've done my part. Time for four of you to ensure more words about Kandric are written!

On 8/11/2018 at 1:36 PM, Kyle Aarons said:

I really expected ore comments on the Garm and Alphar battle tactics and weapons...

Well, since you brought it up.......

You really haven't mentioned much about the actual weapons used by either race until now.  I mean,  you have mentioned some of the weaponry of both races, but it has for the most part just been magical versions of what most of the other races are using.  Swords, crossbows, etc.   It is only in this chapter that you have started getting into the tactics and specialized weaponry of the Garm White Dragon Division.  And, I believe Kandric pretty much summed it up in his own statement:  "Wow."

I do like Seldnat's description better, though.  It really is "awesomer!"

I am liking the additional characters and subplots that are starting up as the remaining students make their way in (out of?) Bloody Rock.  I am interested in the "pit room with the staff in the floor"  It sounds like access to a Drow armory, maybe?

I told you once before, a long long time ago, that I tend to read and then reread your stories, then read them again looking for details, so it will take me a while to make it to the 3rd or 4th reading to find more of the clues, but I did notice something that hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet and that is the fact that the White Dragon Crown Prince had a larger magic Death Gift than the Black Dragon King?  That strikes me as odd, if only for the fact that Blathemort was around for well over 900 years or so, since he killed Kandric's ancestor, according to the writings on the Frozen Flame sword.  You would think that between longevity and being a King rather than a Prince would mean a larger magic pool to be released.  

Just my thoughts.

As far as a favorite group, I can't really pick any one over any of the others.  I like them all, and would almost like to see offshoot stories involving the other characters.  It may be interesting to perhaps have a couple of "prequels" during the Mythling Wars to tell the stories of the Gods and Demons, and maybe even a story of the Drow in Under River.  Possibly something on Greysac and the Highmen.  

Again, just my thoughts.

wow, simply wow!
he has done it another time.
and i hope the next will come soon, not that long waiting like the last time.

kyle always manages to break the chapter at the most thrilling scene and point and fade over into another chapter, with another point of view and location. to again build a lot of tension and not releasing it for most times.
even seen in the last 2 chapters of them shattering the demon lord and the gods watching it. what happens now after that? will frexla herself come out to them? will she send some more demon lords? has kandric to come get her in the spirit realms?

come on, kyle, please give us the next chapter soon, dont let us wait over a year again.
not sure how long we all will be alive, but i want to read the end of kandric (in chapter 50 or later) still, and cant when i am not in this realm anymore.
in my next cycle of life i wont remember the former chapters i am afraid, so would have to discover them again. and if that is likely, i dont know.

thx kyle!
you outdid yourself again.
now we also wait for a continuation for brile, ocg, defender universe as well as the geek squad in CSU-Revolution universe.

your reader Magician Darian

• 2 months later...

Love all of you stories Kyle.  As far as favorite low power group I would have to say for me it is a tie between Klent’s group and the whipping boys group.  The reason being both groups had direct interactions with the gods on some level.  Because of that interaction one would think that there is more in store for each group.  Plus I would love to see how the boys get out of the city and how much trouble they can cause for those who took the city.

trouble? would a bunch kids inside Rolling Dale really be able to cause trouble? come now, not from me :) 

Anyway, thank you for your comments, and I can only hope as winter approches I will find time to write in the Kandric Universe once again. Rest assured Roland is doing everything in his power to get me thinking Kandric. So as you all request another chapter from me, please bother Roland for another chapter or five of Sands of Time. I think you will start seeing a few more crossover of characters and events as things move forward, but that may be just a guess... or is it...

• 6 months later...

We still don't have the next chapter yet at least on this site.  I have no idea if Kyle sent it to his original site first.

I can't wait to see Frexla reaction to losing her demon lord, maybe she will be to scared to keep her hostages especially after Kandric was able to keep his demon lord in the real world so he won't be reborn, she could be scared it could happen to her as well if she faced Kandric.

Also I want to see him meet the king and his brothers.

• 2 months later...

It is totally dead, he made a praetor account to try and make money off the authors work and even that site has been dead, I sure hope the authors make some money back from him if hes going to use their work to profit.

Kyle should post Kandric here in the future instead of waiting after its been in the other site a while 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The other site where it is supposed to be posted on first is totally dead no updates for months.  I highly suggest that a higher up here contacts Kyle directly and find out more because he may not know the other site stopped doing updates months ago.  Then you can let us know what is coming and if Kyle knows when.

• 3 weeks later...

I could not figure out how to move this so not sure it will work; below is the response when I asked about Kandric on another thread...

Emperor Roland

• Defender of The Realm
  •  
  • Emperor Roland
  • His Majesty
  • team_admin.png
  • 291 posts

Hey all, I figured I can answer this question, since I know Kyle is too busy right now to come on to the board regularly.  As of right now, Kyle is putting the finishing touches on a book for print.  it is based off of one of the MANY worlds that he has created, although I am not allowed to say which one.  (I'm mean, I know it.)  

I can also tell you that he has started, not a new chapter of Kandric, but a new short (For Kyle) story, based in the Kandric World.  As for a new chapter of Kandric, while it has not been started, I know Kyle has plans for what he wants to do, just needs to get the time to do it.  

• 6 months later...

So, I've been using lockdown as productively as I can, namely rereading Kandric yet again!!! It definitely gets better each time I read it. It's just sad to see it's been two years now since the last chapter...

Kyle asked about "low powered" groups, and asked for a reason, so I'll try.

My favorite is the Klent-Jory group; second favorite is the whipping boys. I've tried to figure out the "why" and I think it's not so much about the characters per se as about the way they are introduced. We met Klent first and got to know him a bit; then a bit later we met Jory and got to know him through his interaction with Glaster; then a few more names were added and some differentiation between them was established. Likewise with the whipping boys: we knew the three boys as supporting characters for ages before they suddenly took the initiative, and then they were joined by Tyler (is that the right name?) who we had also met, and then a few more. So both of those groups started with known individuals before gradually taking on a "group" role. On the other hand, the other groups, the first group of kids in Bloody Rock for example, were introduced as groups, rather than as individuals who we get to know over time before they become a group. Likewise, the students of Lord Anarton, again are introduced en masse, not accruing bit by bit. Likewise, I suppose a low powered group could be the kids in the Slome jail. 

So I think that's the reason I like some more than others. I think, without wanting to get all critical of Kyle's style of writing, that this is a factor in his other works. My favorite apart from Kandric is Adventure Quest, where each new character is introduced one at a time so we get to know every one of them as individuals, compared to for example Brile or Geek Squad, where there's a kinda dump of maybe a dozen or so people right up front and we have to take them all on-board at the same time. They become a bit of a blur.

Anyway, I'm desperately hoping there will be more Kandric soon. Rereading it, I have my own hunches about people we may meet in the future who have been foreshadowed, and am really looking forward to finding out if those hunches come off. Seems to me that if Kyle has named a character somewhere, or referred to someone multiple times, there's a strong likelihood they'll have a part to play eventually. Can't wait to see if that pays off. 

I read it more than once myself.  There is lot of characters that could if Kyle wanted be used for more side stories eventually if he finishes this story first but from what Roland has said, he has not been working on a new chapter for this story for a long while unfortunately.  I hope he gets to it but after more than 2 years it will come as a complete surprise of another chapter gets posted.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2018 at 1:36 PM, Kyle Aarons said:

Huh...

I really expected ore comments on the Garm and Alphar battle tactics and weapons...

Guess not...

Oh well, it was by far the most fun part of this for me to write. 

As far as some not liking the "lower powered" segments, look a little more carefully if you want there just might be a clue or two there.

some of this was indeed less action but meant to give some insights into Garm and Alphar life and how they see themselves. I understand some not taking much interest in it, but for those who want to know more about the Kandric universe, it may help in understanding how the Garm and Alphar have kept hidden all this time. And who knows, maybe buried in all that is bit-o-foreshadow... Who me??? naaa, possibly not... maybe so... who knows...  Just saying?

So before I move on: what is your favorite low powered group at this point and why. (Unless I get five responses or more I am not writing another word of Kandric, so there!) ?

I like how the battle tactics were designed specifically for dealing with the White Dragons, which makes complete sense considering the Garm and White Dragons seem to have quite the history of fighting each other. It also shows just how much resources the Alphar and Garm have at their disposal. 

As far as a Low Powered Group, I'm not sure who'd fall into that camp. I really dig the Wraith Sect Warriors and the dynamic they have with each other. They really give off this vibe of a secret underground sect that gets their hands dirty doing things most do not have the stomach for. I also really applaud just how evil you make Dark Magic. It's very easy to just throw some undead in and call it a day, but the emphasis on the pain, torment, and misery Dark Mages and Mystics inflict on people to acquire their spells and potions hammers home why they have to be stopped. They are a group I think you could make a whole book around and have it be interesting. 

I hope we do see more Kandric in the future. I only stumbled upon it recently but I swear I've read through the thing about a half dozen times already. Love what you've done with it and I'd really love to see where all this will end up. 

• 1 year later...

More is on the way... just a smidge... like a coupe of normal sized books with a large + after 'normal sized'

I will be curious to read comments about the various 'low powered' groups and what people think of them after reading it.

Hopefully, some of those who don't see them as interesting will rethink things a bit after, but it remains to be seen if I am correct.

7 hours ago, Kyle Aarons said:

More is on the way... just a smidge... like a coupe of normal sized books with a large + after 'normal sized'

I will be curious to read comments about the various 'low powered' groups and what people think of them after reading it.

Hopefully, some of those who don't see them as interesting will rethink things a bit after, but it remains to be seen if I am correct.

Currently on my second read through of Chapter 33.

Spoiler

There was a lot to digest so going through it again will help sift out my thoughts on the various groups. 

One standout group off the top of my head was the whipping boy party. I think with some of the allusions that were made over the course of the chapter, I don't think Tyndall, our resident self proclaimed "worst mage" is actually supposed to be a mage. There were several moments including a conversation with Glaster and Wek where it was said that some individuals are trained in a field they weren't meant to be in. They would appear to not be that powerful and wouldn't be able to advance because they were trying to learn like a field they weren't really apart of. I think Tyndall could be like that, perhaps something Mage related but not actually a mage. 

Another that springs to mind is the "Have you been living under a Bloody Rock" party. It was quite fun to see Teacher Saslara get caught up with what the hells been going on since Kandric started his Dragon and Demon kill spree. In universe not that long ago he was a gifted if bratty Teaching Echelon boy who she both wanted to praise and take over her knee depending on the moment. Now he's being called Premier and sent in Alphar and Garm to go grab her and her students out of Bloody Rock. 

I do find it interesting that these Orakin blades keep popping up. Both our Whip it group and Still Spelunking Squad have ran into younger people who are given these demon possessed blades. From the sounds of it, the orakin blade that Glaster found and the one that Tyndall manhandled were both successfully resisted to the point of killing the Demons inside. Several of the kids who had these blades also expressed a strong desire to keep ahold of these blades, probably due to some bad consequences if they end up losing them. considering how sick that one girl was getting, that might be a hint as to what the consequences could be. 

I do think, after my initial reading, that someone set the Drow up. Whatever actually happened in Bloody Rock, it's not what was told to the rest of the world. The subsequent purging and subjugation of Drow did seem to have an ulterior purpose. Drow were said to be pivotal in the fight against Mythings and the Undead. If our Vampiric Garm is any indicator, that might have been their purpose for being in Bloody rock in the first place. Not entirely sure on this though. I'm sure it'll become clearer when they get that one book open. 

I will say, I found it super hilarious that Anarton straight noped out of Rolling Dale after seeing Pontarious's stone ship absolutely wrecking shit. Considering the substantial body count that our Thunder Rapid's Captain is racking up, I'd say he's smart to be wary. It'll be interesting to see what he'll discover in the Double T. 

I'm wondering what role Nax is going to play going forward. Introducing a new character like him so far into a story like this will probably be challenging, but as long as he doesn't do anything to undermine the core players I think it should work out. He does seem to be like he'll be a good source of information regarding the "staleness" of magic that has been referenced a few times. I wonder if this staleness has anything to do with what the Greens have been plotting. 

I have a bunch of other thoughts but these pop into mind first. 

3 minutes ago, Lee5819 said:

Whats going on Kandric has been removed ? I was rereading the chapters before the new one and this evening all 32 chapters where pulled . And demented is going on about all thats happened in chapter 33 two days before anyone else gets to read it . 

I read this story on Gay Authors, I assumed others knew it was published on there. 

As far as it being pulled on this site, I have no idea on that front.