Kandric Saga

Zach Caldwell

Has anyone really sat down and listed all the threads running through this story? How many chapters would it take to bring them all together? What size would the resulting chapter(s) be (I add this, 'cause we all know how detailed and descriptive Kyle gets)?

To give you an idea of what I mean, if you have followed Kyle's RU story, Geek Squad, you will have noticed that chapter 19 was a departure in how it was posted. It was broken down into 5 parts (19a - 19e). The chapter actually contained over 86,000 words - the size of a novel! So we broke it down into "bite-size" chunks, so as to not to overpower the readers.

As far as I know, the largest (to date) chapter of Kandric was chapter 29 at almost 51,000 words. Where chapter 31 falls, is anybodies guess. But it will not be broken up, like Geek Squad was (different audience, for the most part).

So when you are talking about when (or even how) Kyle will wrap-up The Kandric Saga, please keep in mind that he is wrapping it up. Things are coming to a head. I really doubt however, it can be done in a single all-encompassing chapter.

Well, considering the title of the tale, here is a list of what I think are the most important beats:

1. Kandric's impending reunion with Aster, Conner, and Glaster

2. The Kandric family's impending war with Frexla to save their kidnapped siblings, with exposition on the death gifting they got from Blathamort

3. Ultimate confrontation with Gardagam and Gambra, and Kandric's ascension to godhood.

Obviously I do not mean to close the tale in the next chapter, but maybe within the next five. But, my suspicion is there are 50 chapters planned in all.

There are, of course, some things that are unresolved that I didn't mention, because they're not completely essential:

1. At this point, Kandric's grandfather is not a threat to him, no matter how many magical items he took with him.

2. Conth has impending character development coming up, but he is only peripheral to the larger story. I can't see how he can impact events at all.

3. Vondum has yet to reunite with Pontarius. But such a meeting would be kind of awkward, I might imagine. Probably will be played for a bit of comedy with the skunk.

4. The twin princes reuniting is likely an upcoming plot point, but considering we're dealing with deity level threats, Wyrhem's affairs and the war going on between the Premier's forces and Bassork seem inconsequential in comparison.

5. Bane has yet to meet his siblings, but we've seen so little of him and he was introduced too recently, I just can't find myself overly interested in him.

6. There's the matter of a passing of the torch of Sorcerer Supreme that is unresolved, but that seems to be a dormant plot point with no follow-up for a long time

7. I can't find myself caring too much about what happens to Lord Anarton and his students, to be honest. Same thing goes for Gablon and his entourage, and all the missing students in the Slome School.

8. I'm sure Saslara will make a reappearance at some point, but she's way out of her league in the main conflict.

And, I think those are the major ones. At least, those that I remember. I haven't read the saga since the update last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Why yes, I am.

Unless Vondum's job was to play delivery-boy to tell Kandric his darling brothers got kidnapped.

But only then.

But Vondum as a delivery boy? Hah.

Anyway, Vondum and Glaster have conducted business in the past. Not much fireworks potential there, since earlier chapters show that Glaster didn't mind if someone else were to keep his favorite red-headed half-elf warm at night; he'd even thank the man and pay him for it. Vondum would surely not be so stupid as to say his boss Monarch was responsible for screwing up Wyhrem and his sons...

Hmmm Mr Noris, so are you the editor? In any case as Zergrinch said, in this era of disinformation, how can I possibly be sure unless I see it for myself? :P

@Zergrinch Oh pls don't start on Trump. The very mention of this liar irritates me till no end. Isn't it ironic that Flynn was forced out for ... lying? Oh wait, only the dictator is allowed to decide what is alternative facts and what isn't. 

This is way too funny!

In no certain order.... No, I am not the editor of the next chapter, but I happen to know who is. Since I was a beta reader for this upcoming chapter, I know when it went to the editor's desk.

I suspect it would be somewhat of a surprise to find that the original RU authors modeled Ashwood after Obama.

Should I now invoke Godwin's Third Law?

Skylar, here is a refresher course in Godwin's Law:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodwinsLaw

If software tropes apply here, alpha reader should apply to Kyle Aarons himself, since alpha testing involves quality control and sometimes the product is incomplete. Beta readers would be a trusted circle of authors he trusts, and would be getting the full story although Kyle might yet be open to their suggestions.

But, ideally the alpha reader should be a fellow author, and the beta an avid non-writer reader, if we are to strictly follow software definitions. After all, a beta test is designed to let selected real users stress test the product.

Regarding Obama as the template for Ashwood, I find it highly unlikely as to be unbelievable. Ashwood is a screaming homophobic, doesn't give a whit about his child, and has problems controlling his temper. Obama is hardly anyone I would call homophobic and he certainly wasn't given to tantrums.