Drummer Boy

Castle Herald

Al Norris has done a wonderful job editting, with all the other things he dose. It did not take way from the story, or our enjoyment in it. We all make some mistakes in this life. If this is all Al has made just lately lucky him. Lucky us for having the oppertunity to read such a powerful and moving story, as this has been. I mite also add without enterruptions.

1. 11 hours ago, Al Norris said:

Mea Culpa.

I got swamped and wasn't able to get to it in time, my apologies. Don't blame Arthur, blame me.

What you may not know is that this chapter is the way you will see it on Nifty, when Arthur posts it there. I sought and received Arthur's permission to edit this story, and I've been able to accomplish that up till this point. The chapters posted here (except this one) will not exactly match what has been posted to Nifty, because of the editing.

I do promise to get it corrected here shortly... Kind of a "stealth" update.

(hangs head very, very low)

Al   -   Thank you for the insight as to how this works.  I was not so much critizing as bringing up that I had been impressed that previous chapters were so error free. I do so appreciate Arthur's writing and your editing. 

WTF. I want more more more. I am absolutely in love with this story. It is the best damn story I have read in a long time and should be published professionally. The historical accuracy and gripping energetic pace made me picture being on the plains of Portugal and Spain right there beside His majesty's 1st Drum Corp and Auxiliary. Damn find writing Arthur. Now anxiously awaiting book 2. 

On 10/22/2016 at 7:43 PM, Al Norris said:

I should probably warn everyone.

There will be some name changes introduced (without further warning) to avoid a probable copyright issue.

I have a good idea what those changes will be.

This story has been the highlight of each week for me. I always look forward to Thursday for more adventures of Thomas and his group. With the depth of research involved in this story, I'm not expecting an instant continuation, but I do hope the next part isn't too far in the future. Kudos Arthur.

Sighhhhh... It has become a routine, or habit... no... actually more like a need... to get home Thursday evening, feed the dog, put a little splash of bourbon in a tumbler, and then ignore everything else until I've read the next report of the adventures of Thomas and his buddies.

The dog is fed. But now I sit here wondering what to do. Maybe I'll take my own advice and start re-reading from the beginning. It may be a two bourbon night.

I envy Mark C as he reads Drummer Boy for the first time.

Aye..Mister Tinker Taylor Soldier..as much as ye wish to turn back the clock...warn the boy...alter his battle plan...and try to protect him...Napoleon's generals seem to have other plans. No story of war can guarantee a happy ending and at this point, even Arthur may be unable to alter the course of history for Thomas and the hundreds of his young Spanish friends who took up the fight to defend their invaded homeland. So realistic have the adventures of Drummer Boy ended; suddenly, unexpectedly......gravely.

Thank you Tinker for your musing about me. I am indeed enjoying the story and seem to view interruptions with impatience, grin....  I realize in a perfect world I could sit and read the entire thing at one sitting but alas....  just finished the Battle of Talavera.  I am glad the story does not whitewash the horrors and deaths of war and a story about war with no one dying is unrealistic but it still is sad to see boys and teens we know die....  good thing Thomas Marking is hounding Arthur because the group of disgruntled readers which would be on his case for Book 2 would be worse than  Master Marking's whip. 

19 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

Another of the things that I haven't found the time to get to, is the Drum Corps theme: the Della Guerra.

I'm sure that there are many who wondered how the cadence sounded. Both Arthur and I searched around and we found one that we think best shows how this sounded. So click on the attachment and enjoy.

della_guerra.mp3

Interestingly enough not at all what I expected. I guess I expected more of a march cadence which has that one constant bass beat. This is more of a War Anthem or theme song than a cadence. However, I don't remember a time that Author used it as a cadence other than when approaching towns or battlefields, as a Nation or Unit Anthem should be used.

I do say that when listening to it I could almost hear the beats echoing off the valley walls and the french in their camps scrambling to figure out where the notorious El Toro was going to attack from.

I love it. Great Choice, even if it didnt fit with my imagination. your choice now enhances my enjoyment of the Story. 

One question. HOW LONG ARE WE REQUIRED TO WAIT FOR BOOK 2?

Firstly... It was back in Chapter 6 that Carmelo explained what the Della Guerra was. It is both a marching beat (If you listen closely, you can hear the Quick March cadence morph into the Double Time - the Gavotte and back again) and the Anthem to prelude their attack.

Secondly... I do not currently have a time frame for how long Arthur will let us hang on that cliff. I suspect he wants to have a few chapters ready, before he releases them to the wild.

33 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

Firstly... It was back in Chapter 6 that Carmelo explained what the Della Guerra was. It is both a marching beat (If you listen closely, you can hear the Quick March cadence morph into the Double Time - the Gavotte and back again) and the Anthem to prelude their attack.

Secondly... I do not currently have a time frame for how long Arthur will let us hang on that cliff. I suspect he wants to have a few chapters ready, before he releases them to the wild.

You are 100% correct and after listening to it again with the Gavotte in mind it works perfectly, as it does move from quick time to double time and back again.

5 hours ago, Al Norris said:

Another of the things that I haven't found the time to get to, is the Drum Corps theme: the Della Guerra.

I'm sure that there are many who wondered how the cadence sounded. Both Arthur and I searched around and we found one that we think best shows how this sounded. So click on the attachment and enjoy.

della_guerra.mp3

[in my best attempt at matching appropriate accent and vocabulary]  My attempt at listening to the Della Guerra has been thwarted by my membership status.  This will be remedied by my meeting required benchmarks on the morrow.  This site is truly an incredible thing.  Arthur's stories are almost absolutely perfect.

Hi... I've tried listening to the della guerra mp3 file several times, but when I click on it I always get...

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account... Error code: 2C171/1

Am I doing something wrong, or as a recent new initiate here, is there a secret I have yet to discover to be a full member?

I'm really glad you've come up with this, and am anxious to hear it. I was so curious when I first read about it, I stopped reading immediately and went off on a tangential search for an hour, trying to find if there really was something like this... although I didn't find anything, I held hope that it was out there somewhere.

Thanks! 

53 minutes ago, Tinker Taylor Soldier I said:

Hi... I've tried listening to the della guerra mp3 file several times, but when I click on it I always get...

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account... Error code: 2C171/1

Am I doing something wrong, or as a recent new initiate here, is there a secret I have yet to discover to be a full member?

I'm really glad you've come up with this, and am anxious to hear it. I was so curious when I first read about it, I stopped reading immediately and went off on a tangential search for an hour, trying to find if there really was something like this... although I didn't find anything, I held hope that it was out there somewhere.

Thanks! 

I also searched for the Della Guerra, with no useful results.  When I saw that it had been shared on this forum, I was well pIeased.  I seem to have also hit a wall, trying to listen to the file.  I also attributed this difficulty to membership status.  

My proposed solution for this:  When I became a member, I recall seeing some benchmark of 10 posts, to advance to a higher membership rating.  I am getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... uhmmm... okay. Thanks Jason (lowly serf to lowly serf) and Prince Ken. Sorry I've been off fighting my own little battles for a few days. I appreciate your responses while I've been absent.

According to the counter on my CR icon, this will be my 8th post... that is, unless "replies" do not count as "posts."  Until I get the secret code and am admitted to the Inner Temple, I'll keep making up thrilling - scary drum music in my head.

Meanwhile, another week has come and gone without an update on our beloved Thomas... poor soul, lying in that field hospital so far away. I sure hope he's recovering well.

Toss the beagle another biscuit, pour another bourbon, and wait. One must be patient. A masterpiece isn't created overnight.

Hope you're all well.

First... sorry Jaayson for misspelling your name in my reply just now. So very elementary of me. Sorry.

Also... the "Post Count" on my CR icon didn't change... so I'm guessing "replies" do not count as "posts." Apparently I need to become gregarious here at the Castle. You'll all be sorry if I do. Maybe I should write a story. Would that advance my membership so I might hear the subject mp3 file? Nahhhh... that would really be embarrassing,.. to toss something I've scrawled into the same basket as Arthur and many of you.. (Is there a "CR Junior" website for those who can barely construct a simple sentence?)

Have a great weekend!