Drummer Boy

Castle Herald

18 hours ago, Azorf said:

One slight error: I don't think Wellesley is Duke of Wellington at this time in the story.

1809: Following his victory at Talavera, Wellesley was elevated to the Peerage of the United Kingdom on 26 August as Viscount Wellington of Talavera and of Wellington, with the subsidiary title of Baron Douro of Wellesley.

The London Gazette: no. 16291. p. 1342. 22 August 1809.

The actual title of "Duke" was bestowed in England after the war in 1814. So we can guess that Arthur is using a bit of literary license at this point.

I agree, GCdiam, their presentation was very touching. I especially got misty eyed upon finding out that Marcelo requested to be known as a Marking.

I think Wellington is going to get a surprise when he tries to simply use them as bait. I expect Thomas and gang will come up with a plan. It does look like Mister Percy is still looking out for them and I think the Rangers under Sharpe are not going to like that bit of business either.

Can't wait to see what happens!

Ok so first I started reading some of the comments here and quickly stopped, Too many spoilers,

I have just started chapter 4 of this story and i have to tell you I am enthralled.

When I first started reading this I equated it to two different series Alexanders Kent's "Midshipman Bolitho" and Bernard Cornwall's "Sharpe" series. Imagine my surprise when Sharpe makes a cameo appearance in this story. Both series are the foundation of what started me writing, This one so far is just as good if not better than those to published stories.  The pacing of this story is spot on, its one of those "one more chapter" stories. You just can't seem to set it down.

Arthur, sir you are to be congratulated this is probably the best story I have read in a very long time.

Thank you

As I read the roll of the fallen, tears rolled down my cheeks.  Many others have admitted this, as well.  I'm only rarely at a loss for an opportunity to shed tears, they fall quite often and very freely.  What caught me off guard, was the "need" to stand at attention, as Lieutenant Allen read the names.  I swear I felt myself jump, at each cannon shot.  At the end, when the entire Battalion's muskets fired, my ears started ringing.  Good writing grabs hold of you.  Great writing takes you hostage, hanging on each word, sitting on the edge of your seat.  When you must take a break, your mind runs through what might come next.

it is safe to say, I greatly enjoy Arthur's story.  I wish it could continue indefinitely.  I will be promoting this site and Drummer Boy on Facebook, as well as in any other way that presents itself.  My greatest gratitude and applause to both Arthur and this community.  My appreciation also to Nifty, where I first found this tale.

AWW!!! The end to book 1 has came. We only have hopes of book 2 to come soon. I will say in the 40 years of printing others books and works. This story has been and is one of the the best I personly have read. It would be a pure shame for it not to have book 2 posted soon. I wait with the other fans for a fast return. I also take my hat off to Arthur. He has made a mark for others to meet. 

37 minutes ago, GCdiam said:

I don't want to be a nit picker but the early paragraphs in this chapter had an inordinate amount of errors and I can only wonder what happened to Arthur's editor.

Mea Culpa.

I got swamped and wasn't able to get to it in time, my apologies. Don't blame Arthur, blame me.

What you may not know is that this chapter is the way you will see it on Nifty, when Arthur posts it there. I sought and received Arthur's permission to edit this story, and I've been able to accomplish that up till this point. The chapters posted here (except this one) will not exactly match what has been posted to Nifty, because of the editing.

I do promise to get it corrected here shortly... Kind of a "stealth" update.

(hangs head very, very low)

D**n !

Left hanging on the edge of a dusty, rocky, bloody cliff !!!!

The mention of a "Book 2" in progress holds some little bit of hope for fans of the young Drummer Boy and his brother heroes. Now we will apparently have some time to grieve their dead and wounded, and perhaps go back to reread some of our favorite parts in “Book 1.” But after a respectable period of time to do so, I hope “Book 2” will begin its appearance before we become too distracted and forget to keep watching for it.

As mentioned above, I also hope Arthur gets a well-deserved break. It sounds as though he’s terribly busy. (But then, most really gifted people I know keep themselves terribly busy.)  

Thank you, Arthur, for what you’ve given us so far. Obviously, you’ve left us wanting more.

Nice!    D**n nice !

Taylor