Let's Play: Hoard of the Dragon Queen (A D&D 5e Adventure) SIGNUP

Zergrinch

And yes, I had the gob wake two others.  Buuuut in my defense, the looting gobs could have done more damage than just steal 10GP and 5 rations from you  :P

Heh, you can't drop me below zero hitpoints, and you wouldn't really coup de grace me, would you?   :D

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW...  your last post doesn't seem like it calls for a response, it's more of a 'wait to see what I do next'.  Deliberate?  Because the only thing that's a prompt for us is Erwin's annoyance over loosing his coin pouch -- and he isn't all that annoyed.

Waiting to see which of the loot Morganor picks up (surely not all of it!), and yes, for further actions from the rest of the cast. It's your turn, so to speak. :)

Heh, I suppose I'm too used to the time-savers they use in live games, like the gold getting automatically divided at the end of the session (or earlier if appropriate, like when heading to town).

Waiting to see which of the loot Morganor picks up (surely not all of it!), and yes, for further actions from the rest of the cast. It's your turn, so to speak. :)

Morganor  is  a lawful good cleric so he would bring as much as he can back to share. But not the weapons which are not all that well made just the stuff taken from others.

No need to apologize :D  Gives me every opportunity to... um... pick an interesting terrain... for you... hehe...

Heh, yeah, I'm sure you had fun :P

I actually wanted the defensible point, but... oh well.  Too bad, I had a ncie line for Erwin... "We're being paid to defend this caravan, not run from it.  Lets take the defensible point, not the one we can run from."

And of course I forgot to have Perrin wake Arjan... lol.

BTW, at some point we should talk about how we handle reaction type abilities...  e. g. bardic inspiration that can be added AFTER the dice roll but BEFORE the GM declares hit or miss.

Frankly, given the format, I'd like to just be able to say 'if it's likely to make a difference, use it', but...

Edit: And before anyone asks, why yes I happen to know a black bear's AC.  I just DM'd one the other day.

I have given that a lot of thought, since, you know, I play a bard (Zemzelett).  Though since Kyle hasn't been here in a month, I'm not sure if that game is still alive at this point :)

So basically, you could do it like this: "I use cutting words on an enemy roll between 9-12.  I use bardic inspiration to augment a save of 8-12, or an attack roll of 7-11..."

An alternative, is you roll your own dice via Unseen Servant, which means you know the roll result, and can add a bardic inspiration as you want.  To be honest, I prefer this option since it would speed things up :)

EDIT: Perrin can certainly wake Arjan up, but he can't do that and then mock the Bear... Plus, he technically "moves" after Arjan, so both Perrin and Arjan will miss this round.

<pedantic>

I skimmed over it since your script resolved in an error  :ph34r:

if (Arjan==asleep) 
   { Arjan wakes Perrin } 
else 
   { Arjan casts Frostbite
     Perrin casts Vicious Mockery }

Offending code in line 2  :smiley-taunt010:  :smiley-taunt002:

</pedantic>

I've done worse in PBP.  I did an IF THEN ELSE, followed by a couple of ELSEIFs :D

It's just a shove, man.  I didn't think Bear Shove would sound as good.  On retrospect though, a Bear Hug sounds more like a grapple than a shove...   :)

Shoving a Creature (PHB 195)
Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.  

Bears have a multi-attack, so... 

Have several questions:

Would Garanth be able to tell how long before the other bears arrived and if so would there be enough time to move the wagons to the more defensible site and build several fires around the perimeter?

I know the cantrips can be cast as often as needed but the other spells I don't know. Are they replenished with a short rest or does it take a long rest?

The other bears will arrive in minutes.  There is no time to relocate.  There IS time to set up an ambush (like what the goblins did to you).  Or build fires, sure.

The general rule is that all spell slots refresh on a long rest, so at level one, most casters can cast twice per day only.  There are some exceptions:

1. Wizards have Arcane Recovery which can replenish spell slots with a level of half their wizard level, rounded up.  Example: a level 4 wizard can replenish two (4/2=2) level 1 spell slots per day, or one level 2 spell slot if he wishes.
  2. Circle of the Land Druids have Natural Recovery which is the same thing.
  3. Sorcerers have Sorcery Points which they can convert directly into spell slots.
  4. Warlocks don't have spell slots; they have Pact Magic slots which refresh every short rest.
  5. Clerics and Paladins can't recover spell slots, but they have Channel Divinity which extend the amount of spellcasting they can do.

All of these features start to kick in at Level 2 though.  So at Level 1, the party really must take good care to ration spells throughout the adventuring day.

Yes, where we are right now fires would only guide the bears faster( pretty sure they already know where to find us thanks to the first two).

However, large fires in front of a defensible position can channel the bears where we want them as animals tend to avoid fires.