Let's Play: Hoard of the Dragon Queen (A D&D 5e Adventure) SIGNUP

Zergrinch

Garanth will remain a fighter. I'll just take the average on hp so let me know what that is, please. I will go ahead and tell you Garanth is taking Champion at 3rd level.

Morganor will continue as a cleric and take the average hp. Could use suggestions as to the extra prepared spell.

Average HP for a fighter is 6, so 6 + con bonus is his HP gain.  Morganor would gain 5+con.

As for the extra prepared spell, my favorites are always bless, heal wounds, cure wounds, guiding bolt, and inflict wounds.  At first level there are other spells, but most of them are situational (purify food & drink) or just not as good as the other options (shield of faith sounds great, but compared to bless just not worth the concentration slot).

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you folks waiting for something? It is now your turn.

Jeikor hasn't decided on Morganor's level up options, but that's not really a priority since this episode is just about over and the next episode will start with you already in Greenest.

Therefore, do take the time to determine who has what. For example, you've got three unidentified vials from the goblins, as well as some bear pelts.

Are you folks waiting for something? It is now your turn.

Jeikor hasn't decided on Morganor's level up options, but that's not really a priority since this episode is just about over and the next episode will start with you already in Greenest.

Therefore, do take the time to determine who has what. For example, you've got three unidentified vials from the goblins, as well as some bear pelts.

I think all that is left is to choose spells.

Bless, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds

I had already said to continue as cleric and take the average hp for Morganor. Am I missing something else I have to decide on?

Do we start over at zero xp since we leveled up or just keep adding?

Since we are moving up a level do I still need to have Garanth use Second Wind to replace hp lost during the battle?

Zerg will have to provide his ruling, but the 'general rule' is that you gain the benefits of leveling up immediately upon leveling up.  That includes new spell slots, HP, and features.

That does not explicitly regenerate your missing HP.  So if I were you, I'd throw the second wind out and heal up a bit.

OK, regarding loot division...

The javelins 'could' be used by anyone in the party, but they are best off in the hands of a high strength/strength based character (Erwin, Morganor, arguably Garanth).  Of the available options, Garanth can use a bow better than he can javelins, he just can't make use of a shield at the same time.  Morganor has Sacred Flame, but a Javelin does more damage and depending on the foe may be more likely to hit.  Erwin has effectively no ranged options.  Yes, he can use a crossbow, but his dexterity is not very good.

Despite the argument I laid out above, there are eighteen javelins.  I'd just give each of the three characters six of them and call it a day.   Six javelins will last most fights, and each of those characters has good reason to use 'em.  If anyone wants to opt their character out of them, we can concentrate them better -- I know I plan to buy Erwin up to 20 of them when and if I can, because they're cheap -- but I think the extra flexibility we get from them is worth it.

The real killer in the loot is the plate armor.  We got 'a couple' -- generally defined as two.  Morganor cannot use it without spending a feat at level four.  (Light Clerics only get Medium Armor).  Garanth and Erwin can both use them.

That said, if I were running Garanth, at level 4 I'd pick Medium Armor Mastery (+1 bonus to dex, medium armor dex cap is raised from 2 to 3, and no disadvantage on stealth checks).  If that's the choice made, it makes little or no sense to keep the heavy armor in the mean time, and selling it off (generally done at 1/2 value, or 750 gp) would pay most of sizing the other suit for Erwin.  Not going to argue that's what we should do, just want to make sure the party is aware of that option.

The hide armor, meanwhile, is definitely a good pickup for Garanth.

However we choose, once we sell of the gems we have around 100 gold to divide amongst the party members.  Not a bad haul at all.

Right now the hide armor doesn't help any because it takes away one on dex leaving me the same AC. How much coin will we gain altogether? Will it be enough to get studded leather armor made from the bear hide?

If so, could we save the hide armor until we reach level 4 then I could take the med. armor master feat and pass the studded leather on to Perrin?

Quite sure it was not. We went from the goblins to the bears to the wasps very quickly. Then this last group. We never really had time to distribute it.

But we need to remember part of the stuff belonged to Leosin and part of the money recovered was Erwin's.

But we need to remember part of the stuff belonged to Leosin and part of the money recovered was Erwin's.

The recovered part I added straight to my character sheet.  We just need to get a final per-character total.

Question is what do we do with the plate armor -- sell it, or sell one to fit the other, or (?)

Sell one to fit the other. I think Garanth may use his share to have the studded leather made to increase his AC to 17 now and keep one hide armor to upgrade when he can take the medium armor master feat and pass the studded leather to Perrin. His AC would still be 17 but if he can increase his dex bonus again or upgrade armor again he can increase AC to 18 or better.

Ok, loot details have been placed in a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5mkfslBMLwEKi3NprlB77tAIStdhb8ZUbq_idP4GbM/edit?usp=sharing

Look through it, and distribute it whichever way you like.  Please do the distribution in-character on the thread.  

Right now, you're not near a town, so you can't convert the gems into gold yet.  Also note that the orcs are a known party in these parts, so it's going to be very difficult to find a willing buyer nearby, since they fear reprisal   :smiley-taunt010:

What's a word for beyond annoying? :angry:  That's the word I'm looking for. :smiley-sex023: 

Honestly, I think this is the type of situation the same-page tool was created for.  I think Zerg is the type of player who rejoices in, who deeply enjoys, tracking all sorts of minutea.  We aren't.

While I did track the minutia of who has what and how much in the Old Port thread, it's not necessarily a chore I'd prefer to do.

So then... a compromise.  Elect among yourselves a Treasurer who will handle all cash and equivalents (e.g. gems, pelts), and allocate the non-monetary items (e.g. potions, weapons) among the players as you see fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still here, still checking in (and waiting for you folks to close out Episode 0 with any pending actions with regards to loot).  But not sure if we have a game left since you guys seem to be annoyed with it...  :mellow:

We divide it up and walk on.  We're waiting on you!

Oh, wait, we're divvying up the loot.

After dividing the javelins, setting the heavy armor aside (can't sell it locally), selling the remaining equipment (at half price per standard guidelines) and selling the gems, we wind up with 144.57 gp worth of items, (obviously split among several coin types but who cares).  Dividing that by five, each character gets 28.914 GP, or 28 GP, 9 S, and 1 CP.  (Just toss the .04 out, who cares, it just makes our calculations more difficult).  Or we could make life really easy and just round it to 30 GP...  :P

That work for everyone?