Sands of Time

Zach Caldwell

This was a serviceable chapter with quite a bit of exposition.

Unfortunately, Mablin's apprehension regarding the Watch feels a bit shoehorned in, and I feel it had barely any significance, for the following reasons:

1. It only came up in this Chapter, out of nowhere.
  2. The resolution was almost too easy. The nights of discomfort was basically resolved with "Sure, we'll be careful." "Ok, good."
  3. It might have been better to intercut this with a scene describing what Hontel is doing.
  4. Kandric readers know that the Watch is essentially setting up camp in Everone and Castle Roland. Hence, I don't think those little dragons are in any significant danger (as if they wouldn't wipe the floor with the watch anyhoo)

As a Kandric reader, the expositions regarding advanced abilities like spell turning and borrowing your animal's senses and abilities was nothing new. It was revealed much more organically in the Saga; here, I felt it was just a matter of "Hey, here's a bunch of advanced techniques I'm gonna teach you. Oh? You never heard about it? Man this age sucks."

On the bright side, I am sure Roland already has a lot of the chapters ready to go, and I look forward to seeing this team meet up with main Saga characters in the near future. I mean, they essentially ARE in the same general area as Kandric and his army, no?

On 7/18/2017 at 9:30 AM, Zergrinch said:

Hey there.  First off, thank you for the reply, however, i will have to explain to you why i wrote things the way i did.  that will be below as i answer each point.  

This was a serviceable chapter with quite a bit of exposition.

Unfortunately, Mablin's apprehension regarding the Watch feels a bit shoehorned in, and I feel it had barely any significance, for the following reasons:

1. It only came up in this Chapter, out of nowhere.  That is true, mainly because before this chapter, they weren't really looking towards the future, as far as where they were going.  Also, the adults were hesitant to bring it up (see notes below on why) so they waited.
  2. The resolution was almost too easy. The nights of discomfort was basically resolved with "Sure, we'll be careful." "Ok, good."  You have to keep in mind that in this time, everything is class based.  while Xavier and company are trying not to play that up, the others can not, will not let it go.  Xavier is a prince... so mugh higher in station than any of them, they won't argue with him too much.  to them, his word is law, no matter what he says.  Add onto that, that he is a great dragon... well these guys ain't gonna argue much, or tell him he has to do anything other than what he wants to do, even if they should.
  3. It might have been better to intercut this with a scene describing what Hontel is doing.
  4. Kandric readers know that the Watch is essentially setting up camp in Everone and Castle Roland. Hence, I don't think those little dragons are in any significant danger (as if they wouldn't wipe the floor with the watch anyhoo)  In The Kandric Saga, it was mentioned that they would never leave Protectors keep undefended.  that is where most of the kingdoms royalty are trained.  yes, many of thier agents are away, but there is still enough to defend the keep, not to mention all the guards in the city.  if it were known what Xavier and Garnet are, they're in a world of hurt.  yes, they may be able to escape, but not fully intact.

As a Kandric reader, the expositions regarding advanced abilities like spell turning and borrowing your animal's senses and abilities was nothing new. It was revealed much more organically in the Saga; here, I felt it was just a matter of "Hey, here's a bunch of advanced techniques I'm gonna teach you. Oh? You never heard about it? Man this age sucks."  To the Seandrian characters, these "Advanced abilities" as you call them, are every day things.  they don't even think of them as anything other than normal.  everyone knows about them in their time.  so yes, they see their new friends now knowing things they do, they're gonna teach them.  It's been made clear that in the Kingdom of Seandra, knowledge is shared freely, that is how they all make themselves better.  to my guys, it's completely alien to them to NOT teach something they know to someone who doesn't know.  

On the bright side, I am sure Roland already has a lot of the chapters ready to go, and I look forward to seeing this team meet up with main Saga characters in the near future. I mean, they essentially ARE in the same general area as Kandric and his army, no?  Not really.  Everone is a long ways from Junsac, and, as you will see soon, my guys are going in the wrong direction.  However, I will say, there will come a time when our two sets of characters interact....  just not sure yet which side they will be on.  lol

• 2 months later...

I was bored. And curious. So I made a picture of all named dragon breeds (12 of them). Each breed is accompanied with named representatives, and the type of breath they have.

So, while this is more appropriately posted in Kyle's "Kandric World Discussion" thread, I felt it may be more relevant here since this particular story is going to deal with politics relating to dragons.

My question is, how much of these did I get wrong? And are you at liberty to fill in the blanks? :)

KandricDragons.thumb.png.ad6c304ce0ac75bbbc0f76d35d0cb352.png

• 4 months later...

Zergrinch, thank you for sharing your dragon-race diagram. It must have taken some real research through the stories to find all the info. The end result is really nice! Having read both stories, I never realized the chromatic::metallic split between the races. If it were mentioned anywhere, it didn't register.

I don't see any "Non-Aggression Pact" lines on the diagram, although I have a half-memory of at least one such relationship being mentioned.

Are there two layers to the PNG image you created? I don't remember seeing layers in PNG before.  I noticed because the Firefox browser let me expand the image to its own pane, and all the text was gone. Same when I then looked at it with the IrfanView image program.

I was happy there was a simultaneous event between Sands of Time (SOT) chapter 21 and The Kandric Saga (TKS) chapter 31, with the white dragon death (and a back reference to the black and green dragon deaths). It appears they are so distant from TKS events that they only sense the deaths of great dragons.   The presence of Hontel in both stories seems to be the other main linking factor. Well, The Kandric Saga had one of its characters have a vision of meeting with the Sands of Time cast, but other than the vision itself there has been little context as to how the stories might interact.

I'm hoping that "staleness" of magic, sensed by the SOT folks, will eventually grow powerful again. It can't be fun for Xavier and Garnet to switch forms, and I'd like other dragon races to rediscover how.   Anyway, I've read both stories and hope eventually to see more of both.

8 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Zergrinch, thank you for sharing your dragon-race diagram. It must have taken some real research through the stories to find all the info. The end result is really nice! Having read both stories, I never realized the chromatic::metallic split between the races. If it were mentioned anywhere, it didn't register.

I don't see any "Non-Aggression Pact" lines on the diagram, although I have a half-memory of at least one such relationship being mentioned.

Are there two layers to the PNG image you created? I don't remember seeing layers in PNG before.  I noticed because the Firefox browser let me expand the image to its own pane, and all the text was gone. Same when I then looked at it with the IrfanView image program.

I believe that's a transparent PNG. So perhaps the black text disappears if you view it in a place with a black background?

I added the non-aggression pact just to be complete for all possible relationships. I think perhaps this will take effect after Kandric's campaign is over, and the Blacks honor their non-aggression pact against the other dragons in Kandric's army.

Though truth be told, I haven't seen anything from Kyle Aarons for a long while, so I'm nervously waiting to see if he's still around and writing.

I only noticed the chromatic/metallic split after reading about Dungeons and Dragons: Rise of Tiamat. In D&D lore, Bahamut leads the good metallics, while Tiamat leads the evil chromatics.

We can't really make this conclusion here, that all chromatics are evil and all metallics are good. The Blues seem pretty good.

Furthermore, we might be missing a couple of metallic dragon races, since I'm now convinced that "sand" is more a color than it is a metal. So... Platinum Dragon? Tin? Mercury? Lead? Californium?

Or I suppose I can just call the race "Material Dragons" since sand is a material? So that it preserves symmetry. What do you think? :D

• 8 months later...

I have read the latest chapter and I just have to say, "Hmmmmmm.  Me thinks that Thane's comment when approaching Protector's Keep and Garnet's comments about the visit to Rovnar's Castle just might be referring to the same place."

Also, Sand/Brown Hybrids????  Interesting turn, here.  

• 2 weeks later...

I hate cliffhangers! :D

please more soon. i am hungry for more. want to know about the several teachings lying around. about the guilding of xavier. and of course about the death match at the arena. maybe even something happens to the 1st fight and the dragonling to be added to the group, to be freed. lets see.

thx for this next chapter so fast. but please please more :D

Roland, it is great to hear you plan to regularly add to Sands of Time. It's been a great story, and with frequent new chapters, I'll even be able to start remembering who is who again. 😏  I'm hoping the dragons figure out how to reinvigorate both lost knowledge and the depleted state of magic in general.  I suspect the two will be related.

Great news indeed! 2 weeks between chapters is nice. 

2 small questions about this line:

" “The general rate is echelon times echelon, times 100 silver. So, a Primary spell page is worth 100 silver. A Secondary 400, Teaching 900, and so on. A Legendary would be worth 3600 silver. Or 72 gold, or almost 4 platinum pieces. Lava Burst, the spell you showed me, would be worth twice as much, since it’s an auto-memorized spell.”"

What is the coin conversion
1 platinum = 18 gold, 1 gold = 50 silver? 
echelon times echelon
Primary 100 silver
Secondary 400 silver (*4)
Teaching 900 silver (*2,25)
Expert
Master
Legendary 3600 silver

I don't get the conversion between the coins, it seems hard to do...
And cost per echelon to fit. Normally you would guess that the price difference between the more common echelons would be smaller than the difference between the higher and rarer echelons. 
Echelons times echelons? with this priceing, it is "cheaper" per higher echelon? 

The cost of reading the story multiple times, are that I'm getting stuck on things I don't understand 😛 

GoM

On 11/23/2018 at 12:50 AM, Emperor Roland said:

hey Darian,

well... to let you know, I have finished up to chapter 30, and working on more.  Right now it's set up for a chapter every 2 weeks.  I hope you guys do enjoy them.  i would really like to know what you think on the storylines.

Thanks again

Roland

Great story .... thanks for the new chapters

I knew I had read about the prices for spells somewhere...

TKS, Chapter 5. 

Spell pages go for a hundred silver per Echelon of the spell in Dark Rapids. I have a question for you though. How would Glaster feel about you having some fun with me?”

But, ehrm, this would rate the spell as 600 silver (Or, if you count the steps, 2600 silver, but the steps aren't mentioned anywhere as something to take into consideration for spells, as those are bound up to the echelons. )

Oh well, don't mind me, keep working on one of my favorite stories on the site :)

On 11/23/2018 at 8:55 PM, Wyatt said:

Roland, it is great to hear you plan to regularly add to Sands of Time. It's been a great story, and with frequent new chapters, I'll even be able to start remembering who is who again. 😏  I'm hoping the dragons figure out how to reinvigorate both lost knowledge and the depleted state of magic in general.  I suspect the two will be related.

Thank you very much.  I will say this.  The two topics you talk about are indeed related, but it is even more than that.  I have dropped several hints along the way, but soon i will actually spell out what Olpha's theroy is.  I will say this, while she is not 100% accurate, she is darn close.  lol

Does that make things harder or easier for you?

On 11/24/2018 at 1:12 AM, GoM said:

Great news indeed! 2 weeks between chapters is nice. 

2 small questions about this line:

" “The general rate is echelon times echelon, times 100 silver. So, a Primary spell page is worth 100 silver. A Secondary 400, Teaching 900, and so on. A Legendary would be worth 3600 silver. Or 72 gold, or almost 4 platinum pieces. Lava Burst, the spell you showed me, would be worth twice as much, since it’s an auto-memorized spell.”"

What is the coin conversion
1 platinum = 18 gold, 1 gold = 50 silver? 
echelon times echelon
Primary 100 silver
Secondary 400 silver (*4)
Teaching 900 silver (*2,25)
Expert
Master
Legendary 3600 silver

I don't get the conversion between the coins, it seems hard to do...
And cost per echelon to fit. Normally you would guess that the price difference between the more common echelons would be smaller than the difference between the higher and rarer echelons. 
Echelons times echelons? with this priceing, it is "cheaper" per higher echelon? 

The cost of reading the story multiple times, are that I'm getting stuck on things I don't understand 😛 

GoM

the answer is this.... YES!  No seriously, time to get into some of the mechanics of this very detail oriented universe.  

The best way i can answer this is, it really depends on where you are, and what is going on.  In a large city like Junsac, the price will be different then a small city, or even a village.  there is very little that is 'set' as far as price goes, it all depends on how much someone is willing to pay.  for example, yes, Mablin said that the spell Lava Burst could be worth 7-8 platinum.  However, in some areas, it might be able to be sold for 10, or maybe only 5.  that rule is really only a general rule of thumb if you will.

Now, for the currency conversions.  

50 Tin = 1 Copper

10 Copper = 1 Silver

50 Silver = 1 Gold

20 Gold = 1 Platinum (one Platinum coin could buy a half dozen eggs every day for just over 115 years.)

I will suggest paying special attention to chapter 25 as we see why the conversion rates become.... important.  lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, Emperor Roland said:

I will suggest paying special attention to chapter 25 as we see why the conversion rates become.... important.  lol.

Important.   hmmm.  Just a tad bit of an understatement, don't you think?  

I was not at all surprised with Xavier's reaction to seeing Protectors Keep.  I actually expected it, from Thane's reaction and then the mention of it by Garnet.  It just sort of jumped out at me.  I'm just wondering why Thane started laughing when he went into the room for his test.  I guess we will find that out in the next chapter or so.  Keep up the great work!

Roger,

I guess i didn't make it as clear as i wanted to.  In chapter 3, Thane remembered the test he took to advance to the "Proficient" Echelon.  basically, the Master scryed for something that would be a good challenge, and then sent him there.  if he won, he advanced, if he didn't, he didn't advance.  of course, he would probably have also died, but that was the way it was done.  that way people could actually know that a being was as good as the pins said they were.  

However, in protector's Keep, all Thane had to do was make them go through basically an obstacle course.  to his way of thinking it is absurdly easy, and not really a test.  but then again, by now they should have figured that the testing these days is a lot different then the testing when they were around.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading chapter 26. and am really enjoying the story.  Glad that we have a while more of a chapter every 2 weeks :)

My question is do they really think they will stay out of the Watch's interest?  A foreign prince that is buying property in the city?  They won't be able to keep the "new" smithing techniques secret, not to mention making magical weapons.   As omnipotent readers it is very obvious that the Watch is going to be interested in the party, but doesn't the party realize that the won't be able to avoid the Watch's interest?

Well, the watch already has an interest, as Hontel is in the group. 

Besides that, with all of the watch members down in Rollingdale\Everone, there aren't that many watch members left in Junsac to keep up with them. 

And to Davnans annoyance, Malachi wants to make the smithing technic know to everyone. 

Also, It is my hope that the secret of Eldwar will not become lost again. That means several people must learn

And remember, Master Frem, is Asters metalworker teacher, so I guess he has connections with the watch to, and he is the one who can make real magical weapons, so that isn't that much of a "wow" thing for the watch. The wow factor is to use that much coin for such a weapon... 
Aster already knows how to make Eldwar...

So, the watch is watching, but for now, they don't know the biggest secret, and that is something Hontel isn't aware of yet. 

Yes, new chapters every two weeks is the best thing since sliced bread ;)