Sands of Time

Zach Caldwell

Well I enjoyed the new chapter posted this week, too bad its longer now to get new chapters but still it was great to get a new one.

It looks to me that the 2 Alphar that Kandric sent off home by foot have fallen into trouble on the way as it looks like these are the one that were saved in this last chapter.

Hm, Dryvet, is it? Another character from the saga emerges. The name sounded familiar to me and I had to check - he's Quavis' younger brother. I thought the Watch was going to keep a close watch on him as a potential sacrifice for his dad, but I guess they failed to prevent his sale to Xavier.

If this was the same Dryvet, I guess slavery has not been kind to him. He seems to have lost some of the grammar skills he had in Kandric chapter 8 :)

I wonder if Vialea is there as well.

Well it shouldn't be the same one as both children were to be 6 months on the block before reverting to being own by the watch, specifically Aster, because if is it the same one, we would need to know why the prince was able to acquire his services!

Well there would be some explaining to do if it is the same also since the brother and sister have been at auction for not that long a time already, and from what I read it sounded like the boy had been a slave a long time, he could have picked the name because he met the Dryvet you are thinking about while both were slaves recently.

13 hours ago, Wizard said:

Well there would be some explaining to do if it is the same also since the brother and sister have been at auction for not that long a time already, and from what I read it sounded like the boy had been a slave a long time, he could have picked the name because he met the Dryvet you are thinking about while both were slaves recently.

The only person who can really answer this question is the author. Seeing how halfway through (chapter 20 - 21) there was a two year break in writing, unless the author has a super memory, a character list, or re-read the entire earlier chapters, then choosing an identical name, one already used, or making a continuity error, are both possible explanations. It is, I agree, an unusual name, so maybe a simple error crept in, but I would not let that spoil the story and would much rather talk about how the plot is progressing and thoughts on what's happening.

I'm pretty sure it's intentional and that IS the same Dryvet framed by the Watch.

As for plot progression, Xavier and company looks like they'll soon learn about the problems besetting the current Alphar nation, particularly the hole in succession of House Wellaras. While I don't think the motley crew will interact with Kandric, they may well be motivated to leave Junsac sooner than later.

Also, I'm sure there will be consequences for Xavier's transformation in the city. Will there be a dragon hunt initiated by the Watch, I wonder?

I am greatly enjoying seeing what you guys think of the chapters, and how things have progressed.  To answer some of the questions that have been raised.  some though will come in future chapters.  

On 6/8/2019 at 1:58 AM, Talo Segura said:

there was a two year break in writing, unless the author has a super memory, a character list, or re-read the entire earlier chapters

Yes to all three.  lol.  Actually before i started back up i re-read the entire story twice.  the first time to just re-read it, the second to update said character chart.

As for the younger slave siblings of Quavis.  Dryvet is indeed a non common name.  and i will say this much.  he, and his sister WERE purchased by Xavier and company.  In the background, there is a shit storm going on that my characters know nothing about... however, remember, in this world, gold means A LOT.  i will also say that things involving those two will be getting interesting soon.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:09 AM, Zergrinch said:

As for plot progression, Xavier and company looks like they'll soon learn about the problems besetting the current Alphar nation, particularly the hole in succession of House Wellaras. While I don't think the motley crew will interact with Kandric, they may well be motivated to leave Junsac sooner than later.

hehehe... Chapter 35 is done and in the editing process.... things are starting to get interesting.........

• 4 weeks later...

You know you said now 3 weeks ago that the chapter was done what happened to it?  Did your editor forget about it Roland? 

Let me know if you need a new editor since I find 3 weeks at editor a bit much unless its a chapter the length of Kyle Aarons usual chapters.

As was stated in the past, the editors of the stories here don't exactly have nothing else to do.  They do the editing in their spare time, and there is usually a lot more to it than just spelling and grammar.  A lot of the editing process is in fact story continuity and that involves getting back with the authors to inquire about and receive approval for some things.  That has a tendency to delay the release of some chapters, while other ones seem to just miraculously fly through the editing process.  I've seen authors go from releasing a chapter in a matter of days to suddenly taking 6 months for an installment, then back to rather rapidly releasing chapters again.  Its not something that can be planned, it just happens, and we just have to have the patience to get through the times when it takes longer.   

well thankfully your wait is nearly over... chapter 35 will be posted tomorrow... and i truly hope it adds more questions then it answers.  lol.  

I know some of you are wondering when the real action is going to start up... well it's very close.

oh and BTW... if you guys find any issues with the chapter thats about to come out.. please let me know... it's hard to follow Kyle's stuff sometimes.. lol

Yes thanks for the new chapter,  I didn't find errors per say for the chapter but there will be a timing error since you are weeks after the killing of the white dragon so since it now looks like you want to go and meet Kandric, but with your being weeks ahead of Kyle story you would need to wait for Kyle to get caught up for this meeting to happen.

I hope it doesn't mean we will go months without a new chapter.

Anywayz this chapter doesn't have in itself any mistake in the link between the stories that I could find so I believe you are fine there, but if you want to tie the story in time for when they meet you will have to consult Kyle.  You could always send an emissary with a message I guess and still continue the story before they finally meet when Kyle post new chapters to get caught up with your own timeline, or you could always revise your own timeline which would require a lot of chapters rewrite on your part.

Chapters of Sands are currently scheduled to go live once a month - this due to Rolands work schedule.

As for pointing out errors, send me the info via email. The best way is to send the original paragraph or sentence, followed by the change - then I just do a search on the phrase, correct it and update the story.

You can reach me via email at: alnor.antipitas@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.... so, I feel it's been long enough to where if people are going to read the chapter, they have already done so.  with that in mind, I have a few questions I would like to ask, and I want honest feedback.  your answers may hel;p me decide which direction I should take things in.

1.  What did you all think of Killian's little test, and how high he has gotten so quickly?

2.  Tilcor, did he make the right decision?  and how will all this affect him?

3.  So Xavier wants to meet Kandric... good idea, or not?

4.  thoughts on what I should do next, or story lines that you think I may have dropped, or you would like me to get back to quicker.  see, 36 is done, but I am always looking for things to fill out chapters with, so please feel free to ask for explanations about things, and I will try to put them into the chapter.

Thanks much for the help

Roland

I thought you and Kyle already plotted the stories for the next 60 chapters :P

In any case:

1. There's a direct parallel to the main saga, where Kandric leveled up in ludicrous speed after klling Gebetthia and Blathamort in short order. In my opinion, it made him too powerful, too fast, essentially making the lower-powered battles more of a snooze-fest. The same opinion applies here, although Killian was never really a main character. It's Xavier's show.
  2. I have no idea, since we don't really see what a fully-trained being of his new field can do. Based on the last chapter though, it seems he's put the past behind him. I don't think he'll stress about it too much, except maybe for guilt in indirectly causing the death of Syth's pet.
  3. Story-wise, I don't think Kandric has time to listen to Xavier right now, not when his siblings are still unaccounted for. Given that the Seandrean party has met Aster in a dream, it might be best to meet him first. Although, Aster has yet to meet Kandric in the flesh as a brother, sooo... At the very least, Xavier and company will likely have to take on Frexla as well to get on Kandric's good graces. I doubt the shapeshifting knowledge is enough (but perhaps knowledge about rituals will)
  4. Maybe you've already addressed it in Chapter 36, but I always felt the Watch side of the story has been neglected for quite some time. Hontel didn't really do anything of importance for the past... 10 or so chapters? I mean, maybe you can peel back the curtain a bit about the big stink that's come up now that Xavier bought Dryvet and Vialea who are supposed to become Aster's slaves. Not to mention a dragon sighting in the city of Junsac. Another matter I'm interested to know as a filler is to find out what happened in Seandra after the kids time-traveled to the future. Like, broad strokes history of what eventually became of the kingdom and how the place is during this time.

By the way, I don't recall we ever knowing the exact human equivalent (and actual) ages of the gang. I think the only concrete age given was that Lucas is 13 years old. There are indirect indicators: Garnet is ten years younger than Xavier and looks barely older than Tilcor (12 years old), and that Xavier is about the same age as Eleg (13 years old). Would you care to officially reveal it? :) 

Here are the notes I've taken that I plan to put in a fake "Book 2" PDF: Info is current as of Chapter 20.

XAVIER’S GROUP

1. Xavier Seandra, Great Sand Dragon. Half-Elf form. Shaman. Skilled step 3. Mindmaster and Ruinseeker. Test at secondary 4. Looks barely older than Tillcor. Approximately 13.
  2. Garnet, Sand Dragon Warrior adept. Dragonling form. Bonded blood brother to Xavier, and his protector. Ten years younger than Xavier. Healthman. Skilled step 1 – tested at secondary 3. Looks barely older than Tillcor. Approximately 13.
  3. Sythranel, Drow. Druid (Winged Bobcat, “Agrona”). Wolverine Sect Warrior. Born a slave; slave to Xavier, freed after saving him from an assassin.
  4. Malachi, Garm. Swordsman (primary 4). Metalworker. Gem Worker. Tested at secondary 3 for subfields.
  5. Thane, exiled Alphar Prince of House Wellaras. Animal Adept (Wolf, “Boots”). Panther Sect Warrior. “About to break into skilled echelon” – test at primary 5/secondary 1
  6. Lucas. 13-year old highman. Mage. Outdoorsman (Forest and Plains). Lockmaster. “About to break into skilled echelon” – test at primary 5/secondary 1. Orphaned.
  7. Olpha, female Halfling, Warman tribe. Mage (lower half of proficient; primary 1-2). Healthman. Daughter of the royal mage of Seandra.

YOUNG ENTOURAGE

1. Killian. Almost 11 year old human. Sold by his father to Mablin as a slave to repay his debts. Freed after the arena battle. Sorcerer (Earth element), primary 2. Ferret Sect Warrior.
  2. Felix. Mystic (Training 3). Apprentice Channeler of Seriff. Wolverine Sect Warrior in training. Joined Syth in exchange for freedom of Teasha, his master’s daughter and Syth’s slave.
  3. Rumeck. Swordsman (Primary 4). “Not the person Thane thought he was. In his heart, an honorable person.” Ruffian ringleader and fought Thane for his freedom. Purchased by father for “insultingly low price” but chose to stay with the group. Channeler (Rovnar).
  4. Ev’izar. Half-elf, twin of El’izar, right-handed. Animal Adept (“Zap”, a Shocker Lizard).
  5. El’izar. Half-elf, twin of Ev’izar, left-handed. Animal Adept (“Fluffy”, a dog).
  6. Tillcor. 12 year old blond-hair, blue eyed human. Initially a slave of Koma (halfling innkeep) and purchased by Xavier as per Garnet's request. Swordsman (training 4). Ruinseeker. Lover to Pocet. Wolverine Sect Warrior in training.
  7. Braki, 8 year old equivalent albino bronze dragonling. Swordsman. Close to 30 years old chronologically.

ADULT ENTOURAGE

1. Mablin. Merchant. Mage. Ruinseeker. Both at teaching echelon.
  2. Sgt. Drathmore, Mablin’s guard captain. Presumably human. Swordsman, secondary echelon.
  3. Lew. Pantherling. Warrior Adept (Primary 4). Wolverine Sect Warrior in training. From Clan Dark Creek. Swore to act as the group’s guide for five years.
  4. Davnan. Gnome smith. Metalworker. Teaching echelon. Established rapport with Malachi and received a gift of an Eldwar weapon.

RUMECK’S RUFFIANS

1. Skolter. 13 years old. Swordsman (Training 3). Healthman.
  2. Gastenek. 15 years old. Primary Echelon. Outdoorsman.
  3. Kamerel. Months away from age of ascension (I believe this is 15 in the Kandric world?). Training 5. Metal Worker.
  4. Woxenel. 18 years old. Swordsman (Primary 3). Ruinseeker and Eagle Sect Warrior.

GRADON’S FAMILY

1. Gradon, former captain of the guard in Welleger. Warrior Adept, Teaching level.
  2. Falan, Gradon’s wife.
  3. Aegir (spelled Aiger in Chapter 20), Gradon’s 12 year-old son. Spirit Warrior. Sees dead people.
  4. Kiesha, one of Gradon’s identical twin daughters. 9 years old.
  5. Tiesha, one of Gradon’s identical twin daughters. 9 years old.

CAEL’S FAMILY

1. Cael. Beggar. Paid everything to cure Gare's injury to no avail.
  2. Brana. Gare’s wife (cook at an inn in Wellegar)
  3. Eleg, 13 years old. Minstrel in training.
  4. Gare. Nine or ten. Injured (limp on left leg). Enchanted Archer. More magical potential than Xavier.
  5. Salie. Around 5. Wants to make pretty clothing for everyone to wear.

OTHER

1. Hontel. A spy sent by the Watch to infiltrate and discover the secrets of Xavier's group. Need to grab details from Kandric Saga.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not 100% sure anymore but wasn't there a side story with the brown dragons that Xavier sent his friend to meet them,  or I just forgot if the meeting did happen, also not  100% sure but I believe the brown dragon they saved knew of the sand dragons I Believe something was said about their merging together and no longer existed as a main race of dragon but wouldn't that change now that Xavier a great dragon is there, I would think he would become ruler of both races and maybe start a new lineage?

But like Zergrinch said a meeting with Kandric at this point in the story is quite complicated since Kandric is behind the time line at the moment and quite busy with Rolling dale and Frexla as well as finding his student, so the idea of a side story that does not go too much further in the timeline is a good one and also maybe some pressuring of Kyle to continue his timeline so they can finally meet could be in the cards

I also noticed that small mistake.  

The new chapter helps him as he did not go further in the timeline, I think everything in the chapter happened the same day, but still wondering if they will try and dig or find the passage they think there is under the tower since it was why they moved there in the first place and now seems to be ignoring it.  It could be the side story needed before setting up meetings with Kandric