Sands of Time

Zach Caldwell

well, a chapter each week would be even better than sliced bread :D

(well, of course i also like sliced bread, but it gets dry so fast)

the chapters are much too short and over too quick. and then waiting another 2 weeks is torture :D

thx Roland for your story. very nice to read and very thrilling.
interesting twist now that Xavier knows what the island of protectors keep really is.

17 minutes ago, Darian said:

the chapters are much too short and over too quick. and then waiting another 2 weeks is torture :D

Yes, they are short. But they are coming. And I prefer to have a new short chapter every 2. week, then one large every year...   
Of course, each week would be better, as long as Roland can keep up with the story. But if I had to choose between a new chapter every two weeks for 6 months, or every week for 2 months, and then 2 months before the next.... I would prefer every two weeks :)

Ok, there are too many characters involved now, to remember who is who. 

So, I made this little list. I'm not sure if others need it, but if it can help someone else, or maybe someone see something I have forgotten. 

Name Race Field Echelon Age Gender Friends\Families\Etx Subfield 1 Subfield 2 More info
Seandra                  
Xavier Sand Dragon - Great Shaman     Male Bloodbond to Garnet Mindmaster Ruinseeker NDF: Halfelf
Rathort Sand Dragon - Great Sorcerer Legendary (!)   Male Xavior Father     NDF: Human
Vobilon Hafling Mage     Male Olpha Father\Royal Mage      

Garnet Sand Dragon - Warrior Warrior Adept     Male Bloodbond to Xavior Healtman   NDF: Sand Dragonling
Sythanel Drow Druid     Male   Wolverine Sect   Expert Archer, Pet: Agrona winged bobcat
Olpha Hafling Mage     Female Girlfriend of Lucas Healtman    
Malachi Garm Dwarf Swordman     Male   Metalworker Gemworker  
Thane Alphar Elf Animal Adapt     Male   Panther Sect   Zap - Shocker Lizard
Lucas Highman Mage     Male Boyfriend of Olpha Lockmaster    

Mablins caravan                
Killian Human Earth Sorcerer Training?   Male Started as Slave, now free gladiator   Ferret Sect  
Mablin Human Mage Teaching   Male Merchant Ruinseeker    
Drathmore   Swordsman Secondary   Male Carvan Guard Captain      

The Watch                  
Hontel   Swordman (from TKS C7)     Male        

From the battlefield                
Lew Pantherling Warrior Adept Primary   Male   Wolverine Sect (T)    
Braki Bronze Dragonling       Male        
Randel Human Swordsman Primary   Male Xavior group capture, minor      

Welleger                  
Tillcor   Swordman T4   Male   Ruinseeker Wolverine Sect (T)  
Davnan Gnome       Male   Metalworker    
Rumeck Human Swordman P4   Male   Channeler of Rovnar    
Skolter Human Swordman T3 13 Male   Healtman    
Gastenek Human Swordman P  15 Male   Outdoorsman    
Kamerel Human Swordman T5 15 Male   Metalworker    
Woxenel Human Swordman P3 18 Male   Ruinseeker Eagle Sect  
Felix Human Mystic TR   Male   Wolverine Sect (T)    
Ev'izar Halfelf Animal Adapt     Male Twin El'izar      
El'izar Halfelf Animal Adapt     Male Twin Ev'izar      
Gradon Human Warrior Adept Teaching   Male Gradon Family      Captein of the Guard Welleger/Caravan guard Captain of Xavior caravan
Aegir Human Spirit Warrior Unknow 12 Male Gradon Family Son      
Falan Human       Female Gradon Family Mother      
Kiesha Human     9 Female Gradon Family twin Daughter      
Tiesha Human     9 Female Gradon Family twin Daughter      
Cael Human       Male Cael family      
Brana Human       Female Cael family Mother      
Eleg Human       Male Cael family Oldest son      
Gare Human Enchanted Archer Unknow   Male Cael family  son      
Sali Human       Female Cael family  daughter      

Carinus Brown Dragon - Warrior       Male       NDF: Hawkling boy 

Saxez Pantherling                
William Human? Shaman T4   Male        
Nasodle Halfelf Swordsman T3 E14 Female Junsac orphan      
Pagbar Human? Warrior Adept T5 15 Male Junsac orphan      
Hanna Human  Animal Adept T3 13 Female Junsac orphan     Pet Falcon ????
Cho Pantherling Druid T2 E11 Male Junsac orphan Leli Priest    
Tristan Halfdwarf Mage T4 E14 Male Junsac orphan Metalworker    

Frem   Mage Master       Metalworker   Aster's teacher. 

1 hour ago, GoM said:

Ok, there are too many characters involved now, to remember who is who.
So, I made this little list. I'm not sure if others need it, but if it can help someone else, or maybe someone see something I have forgotten. 

GoM, Thank you!  I have wanted a list like that but was too lazy to make one.  After quick perusal, the only important information that might be considered missing are primary Watch characters Hontel reacted with in Kyle Aaron's The Kandric Saga. I realize that they are not actual characters in Sands of Time yet, but since they placed him with Xavier's group and he reports to them, they will likely be significant.  Also, a couple chapters back in Sands was he not speaking to Watch folks at the Tower?  I don't remember if we had seen those specific folks before, but Hontel's crossover presence seems to be quite significant.  We aren't sure yet whether he will turn out to be ally or foe, but my gut tells me, regardless of what The Watch eventually decides, he will be ally.

I just noticed you wrote "Swordsman (from TKS C7)" in his Field specialization.  Presumably that means "The Kandric Saga, chapter 7". (It does; I just looked it up and the character Aster is assuring Hontel that his Swordsman training can continue.)  I'll need to do further research to find out the specifics of who, when, and where for the Xavier assignment being given to Hontel.  I've been planning to reread TKS soon anyway.

I did the reread of both TKS and SoT this Christmas. It took some time, but wow, both these stories are great. 

I guess there will be a few edits of the post, as the stories continue. 

Regarding Hontel he is mention in TKS twice, and one of the episodes is the one which put him on Gonnel shitlist in SoT C6. Anyway, I'll start going through the chapters, and add the watch members. 
Reading, some more reading... 
TKS C7 and C13
SoT C6, C22, and C23 
And I got 3 watch members 
Gonnel Dark Skinned Elf. Forrest Elf? Like Conner? Master from TKS C13 only master and legendary could vote, and legendary, and you don't address a legendary as master ;) 
An unnamed female watch member, but she gave Hontel some help.
And Saxez, Pantherling, presumed a Swordsman, since Hontel is his student, but could be wrong, as it can be a teacher of a subfield. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:06 AM, NiteOwl13 said:

I have enjoyed this story but forgot parts the other day I needed something to read so I reread it from the start WOW what a good read with all the chapters 

I think that rereads let me pick up on anything I mite have missed or forgotten 

I have found that unless the story is fast moving, it is better to read them from the beginning.  I tend to read all of my favorites, then start over at the top of the list, chapter 1 and read them all again.   It may suprise you to find out how many stories will update while you are in the process of reading them from the beginniing  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, CMSgtZulu said:

Just finished Chapter 32. God I love this story.  I haven't been this enthused since discovering Arthur's The Drummer Boy.  Dear Roland...please, please, please continue adding new chapters.

Thank you for the very kind words.  Have no fear, it is my intention to continue with this story for the time being.  i will let you know that i am leading up to something big, and at the end of that, i will take a small break before i move into the next part.  i already know what i want to do, i just need time to let it all gel in my pea brain.

Thanks again for the nice words, it feels good to hear them.

Roland

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to start reading up to the latest chapters after a very long hiatus. I decided to do a little re-read starting from chapter 1 to ensure I know who's who going forward. Since I was bored, I ended up turning chapters 1-20 into a fake paperback book. :P

Word count is 113,272 words, including table of contents and fake chapter titles. It is right at the length of average word count for fantasy (80,000 to 120,000) and is more or less equivalent to the length of Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass,"

Sands of Time.pdf

On 7/20/2017 at 9:54 AM, Emperor Roland said:

After having the opportunity to reread the story from the very beginning, and with the Kandric Saga no longer fresh in my mind, I would like to offer my apology.

I judged way too hastily, forgetting that Sands of Time should be taken as its own story and not directly compared to the main story.

As such I take back what I said about everything being too "easy". Reading the story on its own, I no longer think there were any pacing issues.

As the next "book" is not yet done, I withhold any judgment until it is finished. Here are just a few comments on the chapters published thus far:

1. Wow! A shaman ability Kandric knows nothing about! I wonder if it's possible to give someone previously mundane a new field.

2. If I recall correctly, the Mindmaster Prince of the Silver Dragons is named Millen in the main story.

3. So there's another heir to House Wellaras. I wonder how he would interact with the red headed half elf.

4. I didn't expect Syth to have experienced such a loss. Unfortunately we never really got to know the pet, so I as the reader don't really have much of an emotional reaction to the bombshell.

5. On the other hand Syth may have gotten himself a girlfriend.

6. The latest cliffhanger seemed to have just come out of nowhere. I suspect it's probably the fact that they just went and bought a ton of new slaves, but we'll see...

I do enjoy this story as well but for Kandric not knowing about the ability of the prince to change sub-field we cannot know for sure he doesn't he keeps learning spells from spirits after all and has not tried them all either so it is not impossible that he knows but never had a use for it as of yet since hes working with train beings.

Also if the elf is really from the house of Wellaras I will have to reread this story to confirm and be sure but then with the removal of Kandric grandfather and possibly no one in the Kandric brothers wanting to take his place, if it becomes known that this Elf prince is alive the Alphar could seek him out to take over although he might not be interested either.

As for the cliffhanger, I don't see it as such,  they just have to make sure the new group understand how things work in this time and place since they are still too close to Junsac if they don't want to bring even more unwarranted attention on themselves.

I also didn't see anything pointing to Syth wanting the girl after all from what we were told she is a child turned away an orphan, maybe he's not interested in someone so young?

The story did not explicitly state her age, but I think she's in her teens as far as human equivalency is concerned. She is roughly as old as Syth. And if I am not mistaken, acquiring a bit of a crush on him as of Chapter 33.

As of the moment it is unrequited on Syth's part, but who knows what the future holds?

I don't think they can avoid attention anymore. After having visited the keep and tested exceptionally well, purchased a wizard's tower, and buying dozens of slaves... Only question is whose side is Hontel on once the excrement hits the ceiling?

Ahhh I love the musings, and would love to see more.  some of your questions i will even answer.... sort of.  

On 5/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, Wizard said:

I do enjoy this story as well but for Kandric not knowing about the ability of the prince to change sub-field we cannot know for sure he doesn't he keeps learning spells from spirits after all and has not tried them all either so it is not impossible that he knows but never had a use for it as of yet since hes working with train beings.

Kandric was very specific in asking the spirits to teach him every known Shaman SPELL.  What happened to Tilcor was NOT a spell, but a Ritual.  

On 5/9/2019 at 11:34 PM, Zergrinch said:

1. Wow! A shaman ability Kandric knows nothing about! I wonder if it's possible to give someone previously mundane a new field.

Unfortunately not.  you can change the magic inside of someone but, if there is not enough magic inside of someone to be trained, then a Shaman can not 'push' more magic into them.  

As for the other questions, all i can say is... stay tuned... lol

Well I do have a question since you are talking about a ritual involving the spirit realm how did the king a sorceror perform the same ritual since he didn't have the access to the spirit world the shaman do or maybe even the spirit warrior?

Furthermore since I reread it the past few days to check, the facts were right there is another heir for house of Welleras and he has the signet for it.  Since Master Lannet is garm he would know of the house of Welleras so if he did cross path with them it is probable he would recognize the signet ring

Perhaps Sorcerers can do that as well as they are the undisputed masters of the forces of magic.

Given that Xavier says the process can result in the creation of malevolent undead, it seems to me Dark Mages and Dark Mystics can do it as well.

They seem to be headed towards Slome (assuming they survive Junsac) so if that ring happen to catch the eye of the Alphar Queen Gambra who is in a bind regarding succession of the House, I am sure there will be much celebration to be had.

6 hours ago, Zergrinch said:

There is always the possibility we're already too far ahead of the Kandric Saga timeline, and Kyle has to catch up first :)

It isn't just a possibility, we are far ahead. Remember from chapter 21: 

“Yes… and it died, completely helpless.” Xavier’s eyes were wild as he looked around. “Never before have I felt such helplessness from a Dragon before. And.. before it died, it looked up and saw a small red-headed Elf boy… somehow this boy was responsible…”

The Kandric Saga is just a few behind days behind this in the timeline, while Sand of Times have a few more days of traveling and staying in Junsac. 

I'll try to make my chapter overview up to date over the next moon 

I know we are weeks ahead of Kandric saga and it will stay ahead of it, lots is happening in Kandric in very little time so it would probably take another 10 chapters for Kyle to catch up to this one now.because like he said they took a while to get to Junsac to start the training of the new guys and they have been in Junsac a while too.

But unless they do something world changing, Roland probably doesn't have to worry about it that much since what is happening right now in Kandric is far away either near Slome, or where Kandric is now that is unless they depart Junsac for Slome which seems to have been postponed for now.

Come to think of it since they have been in Junsac a while already, it would be logical that they would learn soon how things have changed in Slome and that it is a warzone at the moment and it might postpone their trying to get there with the caravan