The Blizzard of 2015

ken barber

Here in New England the winter storm has really been hammering us and we are expecting to continue today. We have a little over 1 foot of snow as of 8:30 am EST (Local) and the snow fall is expected to continue through out today.

Rhode Island has about 1300 people without power and Massachusetts has about 15000. Here are a couple of pics from my back yard. The wind is harsh and very painful so staying out to take pictures for very long is not okay.

post-65-0-05796900-1422367053_thumb.jpg  post-65-0-55416900-1422367073_thumb.jpg

first Pic is yesterday afternoon at about 4:45 est this is my back yard look way in the back right corner and notice the ornamental park bench

The Second picture is the park bench at 8:30 this morning.

I will add more later

Ken, is that you in the pictures or your hired manservant, while you enjoy hot chcocolate laced with rum next to your roaring fire? Take care, guy... While we all like you, we are more concerned we will not know what happens to the Ronald Reagan if you get stuck in a snowdrift and imitate a Popsicle, grin..... (Why, oh why is teasing you so much fun.... One of life's mysteries...)

We had snow where I live in Tennessee today too. Only thing our total equals what you got in the first 5 minutes and by the time you posted the snowdrift pic our snow was gone. Sad thing is this may have been our big snow of the season.

Take care and stay warm! ;)  :D  

The only thing i really miss about living in New England is the big snows.  Flurries and the occasional storm are okay, but when the big ones hit, and then hit, and hit, and continue to hit, it just sucks.  All sorts of people who shouldn't be driving under the best of conditions suddenly have to go out and get a loaf of bread or milk for five days and really turn the roads into a mess.

Couple weeks back we had what amounts to a hard freeze here in Florida.  Temps hit the 20's F and the wind was, as we say in the northeast "wicked bitta."  It was "as cold as a witches tit," as the vernacular allows.  We had several accidents because people who don't know how to drive in normal conditions really lost their minds when encountering "black ice" on their normal streets. 

Seriously, folks, if you're stuck in the winter storm up east, if you know it's gonna be a while before you can get plowed out, stay off the roads, stay inside and stay warm.  It's when people do crazy, desperate and thoughtless things that tragedies happen.  Stay safe guys.

Thanks D'Artagnon we are safe and warm at home. The storm is coming to a close and we survived. The interesting thing is we did not have a single fatal accident in the state during the store and only 12 minor accident since Monday at 5pm. 

They take travel bans seriously up here now and if you are out on the roads without authorization you will be fined $250-$500. Also if your out during the ban and you get in trouble they will come help you and then fine you and send you a bill for the assistance. People just stay home now.

The only thing i really miss about living in New England is the big snows.  Flurries and the occasional storm are okay, but when the big ones hit, and then hit, and hit, and continue to hit, it just sucks.  All sorts of people who shouldn't be driving under the best of conditions suddenly have to go out and get a loaf of bread or milk for five days and really turn the roads into a mess.

Couple weeks back we had what amounts to a hard freeze here in Florida.  Temps hit the 20's F and the wind was, as we say in the northeast "wicked bitta."  It was "as cold as a witches tit," as the vernacular allows.  We had several accidents because people who don't know how to drive in normal conditions really lost their minds when encountering "black ice" on their normal streets. 

Seriously, folks, if you're stuck in the winter storm up east, if you know it's gonna be a while before you can get plowed out, stay off the roads, stay inside and stay warm.  It's when people do crazy, desperate and thoughtless things that tragedies happen.  Stay safe guys.

You said it...  D' Artagnon... It is what I've alway said...

We have the same thing here in the Pacific NW... Every time we get just a little snow every NUT out there thinks they can drive in snow... so they go out there and prove how stupid they really are...

I've always said that just once I would like to see it snow 3 feet and last for 3 months so the idiots will go out and try to drive in it... where they end up crashing their car... where they overload the local body shops causing a 3 month back up... So they are without a car... leaving the streets open and free for those of us that really do know how to drive in the stuff... [40 years + of driving up to the local Ski area with out one accident to prove it.]

This is sooo true... especially true for those citified idiots that have four wheel drive... they are the first ones to go out and prove how much of a idiot they are... well at least here...

Down in Southern California... the same happens but with them it is the rain they can not drive in...

Yes snow is lovely... but only if you are sitting at home or in the lodge in front of a nice real log fire drinking a mug of good Hot Chocolate or 'Royal Dutch Coffee' [blue Mountain Coffee with dark chocolate and a splash of Raspberry syrup]... Yummmm

Denis, you're right about the rain down here.  At least this year we've been getting some rain.  First thing that happens is all the weather stations start talking about STORMWATCH and how much rain do we get?  An inch of rain, maybe a bit more over a day or two.  But it is a big thing to the news people, so they milk it.  

Then people forget what happens when you hit a big puddle at speed and lose control or they do one of two things and drive like its a normal summer day, full speed down the road and lose control,  or they are so overly cautious that they hold up traffic unnecessarily.