D&D

Anyone play? And which version?  we play 3.5 Bout all the writing I can do is game adventures I could make a story from  one I wrote but it'd take forever I'd have to get something like speech to text for it.  it took us 2 years to play the full game and they kept updating cause we started at 2.0 LOL 

If you wrote it down, why speech to text? Is it in longhand? If not, anything typed can be scanned and OCRred.

Anyone play? And which version? we play 3.5 Bout all the writing I can do is game adventures I could make a story from one I wrote but it'd take forever I'd have to get something like speech to text for it. it took us 2 years to play the full game and they kept updating cause we started at 2.0 LOL

We're playing a version of it in the Old Port Play-By-Post game on the forums... Kyle is using 5th edition, and we're bumbling along behind him.

Makes me want to get a copy of hte 5th edition core books!

Yeah I wish D&D would quit changing the core rules, and every new edition. I mean keep the rules the same but go ahead with new monster manuals and ignore all the fools who say well we need a new rule, let the DM handle those conflicts that's the job they do I was just curious if anyone played the game LOL

If you wrote it down, why speech to text? Is it in longhand? If not, anything typed can be scanned and OCRred.

it's long hand I have notebooks full of stuff, I tried useing the computer for it but I couldn't kee track like i can on paper with DM notes and stuff. or changing something because suddenly it got to simple so I'd have to throw in something else. or the party was dying so I'd have to make a change for that reason. and th closet thing t typed is what I do on the keybard LOL and I don't own a scanner and I'm sure if i did scan it in my computer would blow up just tryin to figure out what I just scanned it LOL maybe one day I'll get jay to be my text to speach and get him to type it in course wed have to change the flow since it's game format to make s story out of it LOL 

Since you are experienced, what was the toughest monster you unleashed on your players? Just curious whether a Tarrasque has ever been killed :)

actually I have a huge blue dragon we used and when we left of half the party was already unconcious and at 0 HP the other half whee trying to flee with the rest of the party, we haven't played in a few weeks. LOL and still On the same story  it's m gargantuan blue dragon and i sorta threw it at my party before they where reall ready for it LOLit's got 565 hit points and ac of 46 speed of 40 foot and in flight 200 :) attack is bite  +49  4d6+14  I even have the figure LOL got a good deal on it since it was one of the rare production pieces I see them selling on ebay for up to 1000.00 buck! and i paid 39 cause the store i get my gaming stuff at wanted to get rid of it.  Amazon had one for a while when I bought mine and wanted 400.00 for it. And so I kept the box and we use the dragon in the game :) we started playing with actual figures and it makes it fun, I also have base maps that I can draw on and change to suit each town lay out or dungeon. I even have game maps, and I've gotten them all laminated. OK what can I say I'm into the game, and some of these maps you just can't get again.  and all it takes is someone getting to excitded and spilling a drink and no more map.  

I also got like 5 boxes of tile pieces to build mazes and dungeons with. :)   and when they where selling the monster packs I bought every one i could it was like a monthly ritual  so I guess you could say I have a lot invested into the game :) But we got tired of them upping the core rules and stopped at 3.5 and I printed out everything I could 3.5 before it was gone and even burned a DVD of all the .PDF files  as well.   we used to go to town and there was an old restraunt converted into a game shop, and we'd set up and it was fun we'd start with 4 players and myself, and some days we'd wind up taking up an 8 player table. to bad they shut down.  now it's some lame computer place.  if i had the money I'd buy a place and just set it up for gamers. now if we want to do that we have to drive to the city to play, and since all my friends live close by we just meet at my house and play in the basement  

With this type of reaction, I wonder who Kyle is going to be drafting as the person controlling the next boss monster we see~~~  :ph34r:

You! You can join our PbP if you want (and kyle accepts you in at this stage :P) but you keep away from being a DM!!!! :P :P :P :P Throwing that beast before we're ready!?!!?!? And don't you listen to Zerg! He said NOTHING!!!!! About a Tarrask!! Nothing at ALL!!!! :P

So! You know the pure power of a Torrasque.  Well guess what, the Tarrasque is even purer powerfuller!  ;)

Buuut I'll level with you.  Tarrasque is powerful, but unaligned.  It is also limited to physical attacks and can't fly (meaning a bunch of people with flying horses and longbows could eventually arrow it to death, given enough time).

The biggest threat so far in 5e?  Chromatic Dragon Goddess, Tiamat, who is chaotic evil.  Hard to hit (AC 25).  Regenerates 30 HP per turn.  Total HP of 615.  In addition to three physical attacks, she has six heads, each head is a spellcaster of a different element and attacks every turn.  Tiamat cannot be affected by Level 6 or below spells, and she can fly.  Good luck, level 20 characters.   :P

Yeah I wish D&D would quit changing the core rules, and every new edition. I mean keep the rules the same but go ahead with new monster manuals and ignore all the fools who say well we need a new rule, let the DM handle those conflicts that's the job they do I was just curious if anyone played the game LOL

Ignoring business necessity arguments, the process is called iteration.  They release a version, wait to see what is wrong with it, release a new version designed to correct it.  4E, from what I hear, was something of a flop, but 5E -- other than the whole 'oh noes, it changed the rules on us!' -- appears to be pretty good.  Probably because they invited players to provide input.

Change is change.  It isn't automatically evil, anymore than it's automatically good.  And personally, I think the changes to 5E actually work fairly well.  It's actually possible to do a multiclass cleric/mage without a prestige class to make them work together, for example.  

Ignoring business necessity arguments, the process is called iteration.  They release a version, wait to see what is wrong with it, release a new version designed to correct it.  4E, from what I hear, was something of a flop, but 5E -- other than the whole 'oh noes, it changed the rules on us!' -- appears to be pretty good.  Probably because they invited players to provide input.

Change is change.  It isn't automatically evil, anymore than it's automatically good.  And personally, I think the changes to 5E actually work fairly well.  It's actually possible to do a multiclass cleric/mage without a prestige class to make them work together, for example.  

yeah fr the longest time I was on the email lis and they sent me games to test and stuff. bt then it got old and I was like why change something that's not broken.  and so we decided we'll stick with the 3.5 core rules.  I haven't even checked the DM guide for 5.0  or the core rules. 

You! You can join our PbP if you want (and kyle accepts you in at this stage :P) but you keep away from being a DM!!!! :P :P :P :P Throwing that beast before we're ready!?!!?!? And don't you listen to Zerg! He said NOTHING!!!!! About a Tarrask!! Nothing at ALL!!!! :P

awww I can't bring my dragon along? he's so cute and cuddly  did i mention all the magic and breath weapons ? 

Yes Jamie, I have been playing the game since 1977 fairly regularly.  My collection of D&D items is very extensive going back to the original rules from the mid 70's.  Currently my friends and I play 2nd Ed.  Some of us have been playing together for over 20 years.  We have stuck to 2nd ed all that time for a couple of reasons.  We didn't like the rule changes of 3, 3.5 and 4.  We thought it took away from the role playing aspects and focused more on record keeping and stats   We also thought that it made it more of a power gamer game or Roll Playing Game, rather than a Role Playing Game.  The other reason is that a couple of us who have traded off running the game have pretty much every pre-3rd edition module and book, from the early Judges Guild adventures to basic D& D, through all the 1st and 2nd Ed adventures, plus a few hundred issues of Dragon and Dungeon magazine that there is (I stopped subscribing to the two mags when 3rd Ed came out because that is all that was in there and we didn't care for 3rd Ed.).  So we have a wealth of adventures to access along with what we have written ourselves, sometimes using bits and pieces of those printed adventures.

That being said, we were a play test group for 5th Ed and we found that we really liked it, so when the current campaign that I am running is over, 2nd Ed.  One of the other players is going to step in and run a 5th Ed game and we will mose likely stick to 5th ed from that point forward.  Most of us have played in 5th ed games at our local cons and we like the new rules.  There are things in there that hearken back to 2nd ed that we like and changes that make the game fun to play without all the complicated game mechanics that 3, 3.5, and 4 introduced to the gam., at least that is our opinion.

Yes Jamie, I have been playing the game since 1977 fairly regularly.  My collection of D&D items is very extensive going back to the original rules from the mid 70's.  Currently my friends and I play 2nd Ed.  Some of us have been playing together for over 20 years.  We have stuck to 2nd ed all that time for a couple of reasons.  We didn't like the rule changes of 3, 3.5 and 4.  We thought it took away from the role playing aspects and focused more on record keeping and stats   We also thought that it made it more of a power gamer game or Roll Playing Game, rather than a Role Playing Game.  The other reason is that a couple of us who have traded off running the game have pretty much every pre-3rd edition module and book, from the early Judges Guild adventures to basic D& D, through all the 1st and 2nd Ed adventures, plus a few hundred issues of Dragon and Dungeon magazine that there is (I stopped subscribing to the two mags when 3rd Ed came out because that is all that was in there and we didn't care for 3rd Ed.).  So we have a wealth of adventures to access along with what we have written ourselves, sometimes using bits and pieces of those printed adventures.

That being said, we were a play test group for 5th Ed and we found that we really liked it, so when the current campaign that I am running is over, 2nd Ed.  One of the other players is going to step in and run a 5th Ed game and we will mose likely stick to 5th ed from that point forward.  Most of us have played in 5th ed games at our local cons and we like the new rules.  There are things in there that hearken back to 2nd ed that we like and changes that make the game fun to play without all the complicated game mechanics that 3, 3.5, and 4 introduced to the gam., at least that is our opinion.

Sounds good, we started with 2nd edition and I agree they did make a lot of changes course I wasn't around when TSR had D&D but I do actually have a full set of AD&D books and we flipped through them and where like this is a B.S. game, and I just shelved them. I actually found at a yard sale the very first dungeon masters guide from D&D  And bought it for .50 and compared it to the new version I think TSR screwed up when they swapped to the AD&D version of the game,  then when wizards of the coast picked it up they went back to the basic core rules. and did all the beta stuff and I agree 3 and 3.5 are not the best we use them as guides but mostly play 2 I'll have to look at 5 and see if it's any good.  We used to swap off DM's but then the kids I play with liked my story I wrote and well we've been playing that for 2 years now LOL I think I got over 500 pages of game play and when something ineresting hit's me I start writing it down.  the game hasn't gotten boring for us at all, we did buy all the adventures and stuff we could and I got a ton of maps even a blank one we spend some money at the local printers and had every one laminated on both sides so it's really nice I can use dry erase pens on the map and draw towns etc. course I also got all the token sets and we got probalby close to 1000 action pieces for game play as well. 

I'll have to defentely check out 5th then if it sounds like they back tracked a bit. 

Fifth has simpler record keeping. No more situational static bonuses that stack your to-hit chances, or positional elements in combat such as flanking which is only possible with a tactical battle map. Instead it's just a simple advantage/disadvantage rule of rolling 2d20 and taking the higher/lower roll.

That said I do miss some tactical elements such as enemies becoming "bloodied" when reduced to half health. I like its utility as an indicator of how well the group is doing. As I started with 4e, I still find the theater of the mind concept somewhat challenging, since I like to do precise positioning in combat :P

Fifth has simpler record keeping. No more situational static bonuses that stack your to-hit chances, or positional elements in combat such as flanking which is only possible with a tactical battle map. Instead it's just a simple advantage/disadvantage rule of rolling 2d20 and taking the higher/lower roll.

That said I do miss some tactical elements such as enemies becoming "bloodied" when reduced to half health. I like its utility as an indicator of how well the group is doing. As I started with 4e, I still find the theater of the mind concept somewhat challenging, since I like to do precise positioning in combat :P

AHH Yeah I like that aspect as well.  if that's missing we may just stick where we are at we use mostly the 2nd rules but we got the 3.5 as well and kinda use a mix.   I like bloodied  :lol:  :lol: