All Stories

David McLeod

Good time of day to all members of the Castle Roland Community. The first chapter of the first of my stories has been posted, and I'm looking forward to hearing what folks think of this revised and re-edited story of "The Paladin." Please feel welcome to offer your thoughts and comments, and thank you in advance for reading.

It's been suggested that I post an "introduction" to my stories, which take place in several universes that are somewhat different from those currently on the Castle Roland site. I'm happy to do so, and hope it helps people understand where I'm coming from. (As a matter of fact, I'm not entirely sure of that, myself.)

One universe (in which "The Paladin" and "The Translator" are set) is a sword and sorcery, low-tech, magical world. The "0300" story, which will be submitted soon, is set in three separate universes: a dark universe where the worst elements of Christian theocracy rule most of the world; a universe inspired by the Clan Short stories; and a high-tech Earth governed by the military (“Fleet”) through a council of national, civilian leaders. Think space ships, and a band of telepathic boys.

The principle characters in another universe are the surviving Greek gods as well as human avatars who have, over the centuries, been given the powers of some of the “missing” gods. This universe owes its existence to Piers Anthony’s series featuring avatars of Greek gods and powers.

A fourth universe has but one story, “Recoil” which, in brief, is post-9/11 war against terrorism carried to a possible, if not logical, extreme.

Another story, "Global Explorer," takes place in an Earth analogue that is very much like our own. Its sequel is in development.

Please post any questions or suggestions here. I hope to check the site daily.

Like Wolfhighlander, in the post above, I have read David's stories on another site. He is an excellent author with a vivid imagination.

My reason for joining this community today was so that I could follow his stories here. I look forward to becoming acquainted with some of the other authors on this site as well. 

Congratulations, David, on the posting of the first chapter of your first story here.

First, thank you all for the kind words and warm welcome. I do understand AB's comment. Am in the process of writing what was supposed to be an 80 k word sequel to Global Explorer (which is in the CR queue). About half-way through and looking at perhaps 100 k words.

I've been a reader for some time, and commend the stories to Brendan who, by the way, has been a beta reader and inspiration for my writing for some time. He's also a good friend.

Again, thank you all.

David

This is my first time, reading David's work, and I have to say that I am really enjoying what he writes.

Since I am the primary "coder" for the site, I often don't find the time to simply read the stories I code. David's stories are one of the exceptions. I "find" the time to read, even if it means I'm sorta late doing the rest of the coding.

Not complaining, mind you, some stories just have to be read!

A.B.  Nah.. there is no worries there.  see.. a good 'god' knows how to have other people do the work, and then receive all the credit!  Something that i am very good at!

But seriously, while i may be the 'figure head' of Castle Roland, i do know who does most of the work.  I am simply one of many authors here, and not even in the top of the best. 

Not to mention, there is a LARGE group of people that make this site work.  without them, Castle Roland would be nothing. 

and of course, we have the BEST reader group on the net so!

• 2 months later...

I love David's work, in particular his translator and Paladin world stuff. Truly gifted.

And Gods? Are you paying attention? If you want to wind Dave up just tell him that yes there is global warming but man is a pimple on the ass of the problem.
(Did someone just here a ziiiing sound?) Be ready for a lengthy thread. The guy is too brilliant for his own good.

Love all his work. I have to do like the old fashioned bucket birth control on him once in a while when he gets on his soapbox in a story, you know, ya wait for the eyes to start to roll back in his head and you kick the bucket out from under him. Good stuff David.

Gee, now will have to start reading David's stories, after wading through all the entries here... The question is, where on the list of must reads does it go, sigh.... I still like my idea of a writing moratorium until I get caught up, grin....

Mark? The stories are being presented on the Castle, in the order that David wants them. Not in the order he wrote them.

The reasoning is that you (and I) will get a better "feel" for his universe(s) by reading in the order we are presenting them. Having not read his stories before this, I can actually see why (and as the guy who does some of the coding, I get to read them before you! ;) ).

Ricky, as he’s done before, has confused my cluttered mind with being “gifted.” But I do enjoy reading his messages and exchanging thoughts with him via email on global warming and science in general. He has a unique perspective, and it is often those with a flair for uniqueness who are the ones who break the complacency of paradigms. It is often those like me who are stuck in the old paradigms and need an occasional KITA to break us free.

Ricky is a truly gifted writer. His “Roll Call,” for example, flows smoothly and naturally. The characters act the way we’d all like ourselves and our characters to act, and speak the way we’d all like ourselves and our characters to speak. That is the product of a real gift.

For Marc C: At some point, I will offer a timeline of the stories that take place on World and which are related. At the moment, everything that Castle Roland has indicated would be posted can be read as stand-alone stories. Please don't wish a moratorium! Writers block is bad enough.

Ricky, as he’s done before, has confused my cluttered mind with being “gifted.” But I do enjoy reading his messages and exchanging thoughts with him via email on global warming and science in general. He has a unique perspective, and it is often those with a flair for uniqueness who are the ones who break the complacency of paradigms. It is often those like me who are stuck in the old paradigms and need an occasional KITA to break us free.

Ricky is a truly gifted writer. His “Roll Call,” for example, flows smoothly and naturally. The characters act the way we’d all like ourselves and our characters to act, and speak the way we’d all like ourselves and our characters to speak. That is the product of a real gift.

For Marc C: At some point, I will offer a timeline of the stories that take place on World and which are related. At the moment, everything that Castle Roland has indicated would be posted can be read as stand-alone stories. Please don't wish a moratorium! Writers block is bad enough.

Damn! All that for a buck? U.S. Money? Hey, if anyone needs a good press agent David is your man.

Thanks for that.

However, you should define a little better. Folks what he means by unique is flat off the wall bat-crazy talk from an uneducated idiot. But he's too kind to put it so bluntly. lol. And if you want feel good and the bad guy is going down, ANY of Davids works are awesome. He has only one flaw in his writing. They end.