Submissions possible improvements ideas.

A.B

Hey, how about bumping up the like-o meter 4 or 5 more? I find I'm often 2-3 short. Makes me wait 24 hours to interact anymore. If the goal is more participation then don't tell me I'm limited on my likes. I mean is it any skin off your nose is somebody wants to "like" everything they read? Not that this would happen but really, give me a good reason. I see it as a means of interactively affirming something you've read and to have a pop-up say, "Oh, I'm sorry, you've enjoyed yourself enough today" is . . . well I won't say stupid because it might offend someone but . . . let's say not inducing participation in the forum.

My apologies if I just pissed in someone's Wheaties. It was meant as a suggestion not a rant.

And on the story coding. I'm not a fan. I hate to have to scroll up and down to find the coding legend to see it it's something in my tastes. Don't be so lazy. Spell it out in the synopsis. Is it REALLY that difficult to type syfy fantasy, other world fantasy, this story has loss, this story deals with suicide?

The code lists tend to get long and in the end more confusing then not having them. There's one site out there that even uses little color coded arrows. Freaking nightmare to navigate and in the end I just leave.

It's a reading site, don't be afraid to use your words! Perhaps preset tagging options would achieve the same ends?

Instead of hard-coding it, how about trusting the crowd and allow readers to add their own tags to a story?  So basically something more similar to a blog, where you can tag an entry with as many descriptive tags as you wish.  To prevent too many variations of a single tag, the actual tag text can be taken from a whitelist.  I am, of course, hoping trolls do not exist in Castle Roland.  This may or may not be true.

Also, another wish-list of sorts.  This is more of a matter of convenience.  When the Castle Herald announces an update, the story's thread in an author's subforum is updated with a post that says ""Chapter X now presented at Y".  Currently, there is a link directly to the author's page.  But I'm a lazy guy, and would love to see the link take you directly to the relevant chapter, instead of having to click twice - once to go to the Story page, and again to go to the Chapter.  It also makes more sense from an SEO point of view, since the new posts and the new pages they link to will count as more "fresh".

Instead of hard-coding it, how about trusting the crowd and allow readers to add their own tags to a story?  So basically something more similar to a blog, where you can tag an entry with as many descriptive tags as you wish.  To prevent too many variations of a single tag, the actual tag text can be taken from a whitelist.  I am, of course, hoping trolls do not exist in Castle Roland.  This may or may not be true.

Also, another wish-list of sorts.  This is more of a matter of convenience.  When the Castle Herald announces an update, the story's thread in an author's subforum is updated with a post that says ""Chapter X now presented at Y".  Currently, there is a link directly to the author's page.  But I'm a lazy guy, and would love to see the link take you directly to the relevant chapter, instead of having to click twice - once to go to the Story page, and again to go to the Chapter.  It also makes more sense from an SEO point of view, since the new posts and the new pages they link to will count as more "fresh".

actually it'd be easier to follow the nifty code, and it wouldn't even have to be code!  and as far as most stories here something as simple as I said just adding sci-fi  to the library and simple A-Y for adult youth, etc would be simple and the synopsis leaves my head in a spin. it's not easy following the authors on this either some don't even put in a synopsis, I would drop that completely it gives away much of the story anyways. a simple code like i mentioned above (and it really ain't even code)   and then above the index and explanation of what each code mean is simple to do hell I could code it in my sleep. and I don't know the first thing about MS !  and it really aint even code its just adding three to four letters and a text line above the library explaining what each is.  Come on guys it's not rocket science we are talking here!  If you find me pissy it's just I've spent enough time and I don't like to search for stories I want to read, Simple after the title in the library which gives that authors name FYI just add  AY, SCIF SCIFF XXX etc I gave you a whole nice list you could then eliminate the author section and just leave it as a library. I don't even look at the authors I go straight to the library and since they are mentioned there it's a double redundancy, also dropping the synopsis for every single chapter would be nice to since it's just extra text it don't need to be there. 

The introduction on the main page is fine, and when you put the next chapter up, or the new book you can do the same thing there, add a SF for sci-fi ad an SFF for sci-fi fantasy. I kinda went through and figured out how to rate each story if you need a compete code listing I can provide it. one thing I am good with is the library coding :)  Like I said it's not rocket science and it won't  take one hundred lines of code to add a few letters before or after each story and create a box at the top to explain  what each code is for.  I'm sure I piss programmers of easily but that's not my point. point is your looking at OMG this will take forever, well if it had been done in the first place it wouldn't have LOL.  so don't shoot the messanger!  Besides I seen it has been discussed befoe it should have not been tabled for further discussion soon it may be a lot of work right now it's not so bad!  

And on the story coding. I'm not a fan. I hate to have to scroll up and down to find the coding legend to see it it's something in my tastes. Don't be so lazy. Spell it out in the synopsis. Is it REALLY that difficult to type syfy fantasy, other world fantasy, this story has loss, this story deals with suicide?

The code lists tend to get long and in the end more confusing then not having them. There's one site out there that even uses little color coded arrows. Freaking nightmare to navigate and in the end I just leave.

It's a reading site, don't be afraid to use your words! Perhaps preset tagging options would achieve the same ends?

Like i said instead of a synopisis just say sci-fi etc and same with the library I'd drop the author list and just run with the library or keep the author list but get every author to just pus this story is science fiction I don't care if it's little tommy  runs away with a mad sceintist I'd rather not know that part I'd rather see simple word's like this story is from an alien race. this story is science fantasy. This story while fiction is based on reality,  etc  that's be easier I mean some of the synopsis's go into enough detail i read the story just by that.  as far as doing it in the library it'd be just like browsing any other library once people read the top and most people who read know what SCI-FI means most people know what A-Y means and when a story is real hot an juicy a simple XXX should let everyone know to keep a roll of paper towel handy LOL or a condom  however they feeling like it HAHA.  same with this story contain lose, it's easier then having a full 3 or four paragraph that practically tells you how the story ends.  I know a few people I've pointed here who don't like the set up cause they want to find a story like adult youth or science fiction or fantasy, or just plain jack off material.   But to each his own I found some of the genre i like and just haven't bothered with the rest cause it takes to much time trying to figure out whats what. so I go back to nifty. 

Hey, how about bumping up the like-o meter 4 or 5 more? I find I'm often 2-3 short. Makes me wait 24 hours to interact anymore. If the goal is more participation then don't tell me I'm limited on my likes. I mean is it any skin off your nose is somebody wants to "like" everything they read? Not that this would happen but really, give me a good reason. I see it as a means of interactively affirming something you've read and to have a pop-up say, "Oh, I'm sorry, you've enjoyed yourself enough today" is . . . well I won't say stupid because it might offend someone but . . . let's say not inducing participation in the forum.

My apologies if I just pissed in someone's Wheaties. It was meant as a suggestion not a rant.

yeah the like o meter sucks!  simple as that! LOL 

When the Castle Herald announces an update, the story's thread in an author's subforum is updated with a post that says ""Chapter X now presented at Y".  Currently, there is a link directly to the author's page.  But I'm a lazy guy, and would love to see the link take you directly to the relevant chapter, instead of having to click twice - once to go to the Story page, and again to go to the Chapter.  It also makes more sense from an SEO point of view, since the new posts and the new pages they link to will count as more "fresh".

That had been discussed among the staff. The consensus is that by linking directly to the main author page, which lists all of that authors stories, makes it more likely that a member might look at some of the other stories by that author. Plus, if you link to just the newest chapter, that would create a situation for new readers who might not be at the same point in the story. So either way, there is going to be someone who is double clicking. It just made more sense to link to the main page of the author. On the whole this better promotes the author and his or her stories in a more effective manner.

LOL Love it   :smiley-bounce022:  you must be a bunny lover. Well My beagles are too it's in their blood. So I have to catch them of course just so you know nothing goes to waste we use every possible part we can.  Most of the hides goto my Native American friend who then uses them or gives them to others in our band to use for regalia items or trade items.  I've very ethical when I hunt I never take more then our family needs and I always leave behind enough to restore the balance the next year. I never hunt the same area twice in one year I rotate across the state seeking my game.  It is my way of life.  I don't do the high fives or any of the stuff you would see on a hunting program.  I do honour and respect what I shoot, even offering tobacco to Creator in thanks for the kill offering a prayer before during and after my hunt. I have even cried over kills. But I know with the respect I show that Creator has provided for me and my family.  It's not done out of cruelty or malice it's done to feed my family, it is not about praise and glory, it is a solemn moment, a personal thing, it is not cracking a beer and stating "Yeah we shot 100 rabbit's today." It is a time of peace and respect for the life given to feed my family.

I hope this helps you understand. Not all hunters are what they portray on T.V. Some do it in the traditional way. It was how I was taught and how I will teach my son.  My grocery store is what we grow in our garden and what we take from the land. We also give back as well by feeding the birds and wildlife around our home. We also go and create and improve habitat for the game we hunt.  

There is no glory in the kill there is no thrill. It is all respect, and part of walking the good red road. Ahow. 

Sorry it's been a while been busy with family. Peace all! until the ice melts there are fish to be caught and since my dog's picke up kennel cough from a coyote recently I'm nursing them back to health! 

Mom used to tell me, "Better prayed over then prayed for." Meaning that it's better to sacrifice the life of game then to have hungry children.

I still hate rabbit. We ate so much of it growing up. Never lost the love of a good long tailed tree rat stew though. Barley, carrots onions in a brown gravy on a cold wintery day is just the best. Add a bit of pan bread and some real butter to sop up the gravy. Just simply nummy, Especially if you're real hungry.