Dark Vengeance

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Arthur's stories can now be found at Arthur]

Arthur

Dark Vengeance

Chapter 1

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

The only issue I have with this chapter is that Father Bryant comes off much more like a Baptist preacher than a Catholic priest. I would think that even though JJ was seeking counseling with his talk, the seal of the confessional would still apply. It was JJ's secret to tell. In real life, the 'good' Father would be in big trouble.

I also hope this story lasts somewhat longer without going through a rushed ending.

Hello Arthur ,

What a fantastic 1st chapter , I so look forward to many more to come. I'am wondering if JJ will go after the priest 1st too ?

Thank you as always for sharing your fine writings with us all,

.              Cheers,

.                    Johnny C.

You are great on your research, Arthur. With Drummer Boy you knew the campaigns of the Penisular Wars thoroughly. Here already you're showing your knowledge of Greek, Roman and Norse mythologies. These are your true strengths in my humble opinion. This foundation of research gives what would otherwise just be another ordinary story true gravitas. So The Drummer Boy came alive real. You challenge Bernard Cornwell in these stories. In your new tale you begin strongly, but I agree with another commentator that you have fallen into a common trap of seeing liturgical Christian churches as uniform!y homophobic. Evangelicals maybe so, but if a Roman or Episcopal/Anglican priest were to do what your fictional priest did he would lose his job! But I look forward with wonder to the next instalment ..... adam

I enjoyed this first chapter very much and like Jay I was expecting something different in its direction. I much prefer where it seems to be going now than what I thought in the beginning.

I must disagree with drpaladin and Adam. I can certainly see a Roman Catholic priest doing this. They have definitely shown a disregard for what is proper in how they handled the abuse of youngsters by their priests. It is also more of an individual thing than an across the board action. This priest was apparently close friends with the mom and aunt so would naturally see to their interests before JJ's.

Keep up the good work, Arthur.

Was what the priest did unethical? Yes. Decidedly so.

Was it against the seal of the confessional? No.

As a matter of Canon (Church Law), when JJ went to the parish priest, it was for advice, the counsel of the priest. That's why it was unethical for the priest to do what he did. But it did not go against the canons of the Church because JJ was not there to confess sin(s). The rules of the confessional did not apply.

Add to this that many priests, in the Roman Church, do not adhere to current doctrine. There are still many stiff-necked old fuddy-duddies (regardless of their age). More so in America than elsewhere in the world.

Al.

Hello Arthur,

.     Thank you so much for this latest chapter ! Reading about JJ growing up and using all of his magical powers is pretty amazing indeed . I look forward to the next chapter at your convenience too,

.          Cheers,

.                  Johnny C 

A wonderful chapter. JJ made sure Mr. Butler the coin dealer was rewarded for his honesty. Then made sure younger kids could enjoy the games that was deprived from them. Batting a fight that got noticed by Loki. Loki is best advised to not underestimate JJ. I look fareward to reading more of this story next time.

Previously we were told the mansion was protected from Loki and his minions. The only way they could break that protection would be if invited inside. So I'm guessing someone fell for a trick.

First JJ/Persone was Defender of the Gods and now he is Hand of Justice of He Who Creates and has no memory. This is getting  stranger, but in a good way.

WOW !!! As this story gets stranger by each chapter. We see JJ has lost his home and friends. He finds himself in Limbo and renewed with unknown powers yet to be seen. His lose of his new found lover will hit him. In think Loki did not for see this. If he did he may have not had done the acts that forced it's development. We will have to see.

An end to a wonderful tail. JJ and Marco are togetthere as it should be. All ends as it should well. Thebtail was left open for more tails of JJ and Marco. Maybe for us readers to think for ourself and add more to this in our own minds. It has been an enjoyable read and a thank you to Arthur for sharing it with us.

• 3 weeks later...