AUGHHHHHH....

denis_p

AUGHHHHHH....

What has happened to all the good story sites... [Well three of them anyway]

They have gone missing... They may have been gone for a while but I just found out today that they are gone or cleaned out...

1)  'The Padded Room'... Home of well known 'Family' authors like Akeentia, Jegron and Str8mayb... The site has been stripped of all content...

2)  'jaygordonstories.com' .... home to Jason [Jay] Gordon's Stories 'Things That Go Bump' and 'A Light in the Darkness'... Site is gone...

3)  'penguinhuggle.com'.... Site is gone...

and I found a 4th... NO... make that 5...

4)  'The Poetry Hut'... Site is gone...

5)  'Orbital-One' [1] The site has been stripped of all content...

What has RL brought to these sites... Lack of interested readers... Money Problems... Author/Site Admin's burnout... WHAT????

If anyone has a understanding on why these sites are gone... PLEASE let the rest of us know...

AND if the site admin's/owners of these sites read this... PLEASE know your sites will be and ARE missed and know that there are readers out there that would like to see them back...

dunno but there is a way to find out a bit more:

Go here:

http://www.whois.com/whois/

and type the full adress of what you want to find out information on

like castleroland.net

It will give you all sorts of info, now if the site(s) you are searching have been closed down or the admin(s) have stopped paying it will tell you that the site is available for purchase or something similar. 

Not exactly what you asked but maybe something small towards it. Unfortunately I do not know any more info on any of those sites. I would also advice you on registering for IOMFATS.org forums and asking there as well if you have not already. 

The Padded Room looks like it's just experiencing some technical difficulties.  If you need your fix, there's a February 2015 snapshot on the Internet Archive.

A fairly recent update of Jay Gordon can be found in the Internet Archive.  The site itself is gone because Jay has allowed the registration period to lapse last February 22, 2015.  Frankly, if he can't shell out the $15 to keep the host name, I don't think chances are good it's coming back.

Penguin Huggle looks like it's gone for good as well (taken down by copyrights?), but the main board is still surviving as Codey's World.

Poetry Hut is a tad generic - there were plenty of matches when I searched for it, so you'll have to be more specific.

Orbital One's content is gone.  However, its forums link to Codey's World forums, so it's a fair bet the site has merged with Codey's World (see above).

AUGHHHHHH....

What has happened to all the good story sites... [Well three of them anyway]

They have gone missing... They may have been gone for a while but I just found out today that they are gone or cleaned out...

1)  'The Padded Room'... Home of well known 'Family' authors like Akeentia, Jegron and Str8mayb... The site has been stripped of all content...

2)  'jaygordonstories.com' .... home to Jason [Jay] Gordon's Stories 'Things That Go Bump' and 'A Light in the Darkness'... Site is gone...

3)  'penguinhuggle.com'.... Site is gone...

and I found a 4th... NO... make that 5...

4)  'The Poetry Hut'... Site is gone...

5)  'Orbital-One' [1] The site has been stripped of all content...

What has RL brought to these sites... Lack of interested readers... Money Problems... Author/Site Admin's burnout... WHAT????

If anyone has a understanding on why these sites are gone... PLEASE let the rest of us know...

AND if the site admin's/owners of these sites read this... PLEASE know your sites will be and ARE missed and know that there are readers out there that would like to see them back...

I find it interesting that although some sites may no longer be available to us, the "hoi polloi," they are probably archived by the NSA and others in some salt mine in Kansas or a server farm in Colorado. No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I do know, however, that most of what's on the internet is archived, somewhere, even though if fees aren't paid--as was pointed out--the site may not be accessible to "regular folk." I've started archiving stories that I like by copying them (mindful of copyright notices) onto my desktop, which is backed up weekly using both Apple's Time Machine, and Carbonite. Of course, the Carbonite backup will last only as long as I renew my payment to them, and the Time Machine backup only until my executor/heir decides there's a better use for the external disk drives on which it resides.

This is a real conundrum. How can we (the readers, the community) preserve stories beyond our lifetimes while making sure they are available to others? How can we work with authors' rights and copyrights while preserving that which is ephemeral?

I would like to hear from others. What have you done to preserve your stories? What might the community do? What am I overlooking?

David

My theory is that the as long as we have an internet most of the content is and will be available. The more sites we are hosted on the more audience we reach and the longer our stories last beyond us. I will never expect anyone to pay for my stories that's not why I write them. I have always been an advocate that art should be free. Yes that gives starving artist a whole new meaning but if you create a work of art, Painting, Drawing, story, play etc and only the rich and famous can afford to access it then how much of an impact on the world did it have.  

Take musicals for instance, I used to take the train to NY at least once a month and see a musical with family or friends. The train ride was $28 round trip and the tickets where about $58 now the train is $75 round trip and the Tickets to the show are $150 and here is the kicker I am talking about a 5 years ago. The entire Broadway enterprise is struggling and they can seem to figure out why, duh, 

I have three oil paintings in my house done by a street artist in Washington DC I bought them 15 years ago for $25 total. The Artist has gotten notices (a little) and has done some gallery shows and even has a website. The paintings in my living room are now valued at around $150 each. I recently had a chance to go to a gallery opening featuring this artist and chatted with him. I told him about the paintings I had and he laughed and exact words were. "If I could give all this up and go back to those simple easy days of sitting on the mall and painting whatever I wanted and selling it for lunch or dinner, I would in a heartbeat." He begged me to never sell the paintings I had to "dealer" and just let me family and friends enjoy them.  This man was miserable and he isn't even famous.

Rant over. Thanks for listening

The problem is the actual laws of copyright.

As the founders of this country (and wise men of many other nations) saw it, the artist/author should have complete control over his/her own works... But for a limited time. The ideal was that after a finite amount of time, the works should then be public. In that manner, the whole of the public benefited as well as the creator of the works.

Over time, the laws were "tweaked" to extend that time (lobbied by the big publishers), so that now it is the creators entire life plus 75 years. Corporations don't quite stretch that far, but it is still much further than it was originally.

The US wasn't the only country to keep extending the lifetime of the copyright.