Riposté – Changelings

Castle Herald

• 4 months later...

Continuing the events of the trap from Riposte - Werewolves.  The ambush in the lower gym of the YMCA continues, seen through Changeling eyes.   Korbesh's trap is well laid, well sprung and aims to make Robby and company Undone.  Is this the end of the road for our intrepid band of mixed supernaturals?  Will Magnus actually show respect for Robby as leader?  Will someone wind up roasting the squi-bear-dog things for dinner?  And what the hell is that smell?!

Riposte - Changelings  Chapter 12 - Battle of the Y: Children of the Sun    is next.

I think it's time to STOP children, what's that sound...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I will be sitting on the edge of every seat I plant my backside on until the fates of some our heroes are revealed.  i don't want to mention any names for fear of spoiling the chapter for others but dude... really?  hahaha.

Out of interest how do you keep track of what's happening where when writing a large battle like this?  I have visions of you setting it all out with Lego Minifigures so you can see who has a line of vision of on who and how the small skirmishes spill into one another.

52 minutes ago, Ellio Lee said:

Out of interest how do you keep track of what's happening where when writing a large battle like this?  I have visions of you setting it all out with Lego Minifigures so you can see who has a line of vision of on who and how the small skirmishes spill into one another.

One of two ways, I imagine.

First is to have a physical bulletin board writing all the plot threads, like this one which the producers of Young Justice used to plot out 26 episodes:

yjplot.jpg.ef83cc974d8afd919ad72aa1be0d515a.jpg

Or, the software approach. I hear Scrivener has such a feature for authors:

win4-story-board-copy.thumb.jpg.22c0a121247659d22645f9d296cd0426.jpg

Ack! Caught me writing!

Sadly, neither of those approaches are at play here. Although I am a Lego freak and should have thought of your suggestion, Ellio.  I did have charts and lists and such, and I had to go back a few times to make sure certain events had multiple "angles" for the events.  The part where the "liberated cranial item" (trying not to drop spoilers, lol) gave me fits but i felt it tied different parts of the fight together.  The aftermath chapters will show some of this coming back together.  I worried over these chapters like no others, and I think it worked, but I don't think I'll do this again.  Took a long time to figure it all out.

To be honest, a lot of personal things happened during the writing of this last bit.  It should have been finished much sooner but for all of the mess called life.  I think during the time between chapters we had to go through my niece's wedding, Mom going into the hospital a few times, a car crash (very minor), car replacement, my sister's sudden death, Christmas right after that, our failed attempt to find a house to either buy or rent, loss of our puppy because we couldn't find a place we could keep her (she is in training to be a service dog now, and very well cared for), relationship re-evaluation which we came out of stronger for the flames, and some angst-filled adjustments to our friend-group.  And I put out two new story starts as well as a Halloween story last year and a Christmas story.  So stuff has gotten in the way; It has been a wild and crazy thing.

Even as I post this, I am putting the finishing touches on TWO chapters for Riposte, one to Werewolves and one to Changelings.  Hopefully they will be posted soon.  And then things will get really nasty.

Watch this space.

image.thumb.jpeg.b556e6009933ad063d10ae62799305da.jpeg

Benji holding Princess (our girl) and a friend's dog.  We both miss her floppy yellow ears and those sharp, bright eyes of hers so much. 

• 4 months later...

Out of the fire, our heroes lick their wounds and tend their wounded.  Just on the very day that so many supernatural kids get together to train, they get jumped, bruised, beaten and nearly fried inside their own Jedi temple.  The Y is a smoking ruin, lives have been lost, loves have been hurt and allies sorely tempted.  Robby and company take a moment to realize just how bad off things are... and must make a choice about what to do next.

Riposte - Changelings  Chapter 13 - A Calm Amidst the Smoke   is next.

Walk it off, kid.  Ya got work to do.

What's the phrase?  "It never rains but it pours."  Getting two chapters from you in a week is a grand treat!

A well earned pause allowing our heroes a chance to reflect on the battle won but also surprisingly a battle lost felt well paced.  Loved it!  Although Juan isn't out of the woods and Mitch is hardly at peak the chapter has made clear the price of victory.  I'm glad the Robbie isn't just going to sit around 'licking his wounds' and am intrigued for the plan that is formulating in his head.  Excellent work @D'Artagnon, you do not disappoint.  Also do I pick up correctly that there's a seed for a story still to come (or perhaps one I just haven't gotten to yet) in that hospital?

First, you humble me with your praise, I shall have to redouble my efforts to live up to it.

Second, I am not going to give away the plot for the next Werewolves chapter, since that is where things will happen again next.  It's already been a long day for our crazy motley/pack.  And it is not looking to be completely over soon.

Third... Actually you did pick that right.  The events of this day all across that small slice of Massachusetts lead into the events of "Bolt from the Blue," the story of Glen, a popular kid at school, who got struck by lightning while standing hip deep in the ocean.  The first part of that three part short story is up on here someplace.  The other two parts are in the works and should be making the scene soon.  I'm shooting to have that done before June.

So... A lot of people have asked me if this lightsabers stuff is for real.

Ladies and Gentlemen - Pensacon 2018 Intermission entertainment during the Cosplay contest, featuring Gulf Coast Lightsaber Training.  The first set of duelists to come out are myself in the Yellow saber and my BF and love of my life Benji with the green saber.  Watch the whole thing, our group put a lot of time and effort into this and it was a lot of fun.