Drummer Boy 3 - Mir Pacifica

Castle Herald

Dang Quill...

That was one hell of a post!

I am currently halfway through the edits of what we know as DB2... It's going to be a huge volume when you see it on Amazon. There just wasn't any place that I could see to split it up, like we did DB1.

As for what awaits Thomas in DB3? I won't even pretend to know where Arthur is going with this.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:59 AM, Al Norris said:

Dang Quill...

That was one hell of a post!

I am currently halfway through the edits of what we know as DB2... It's going to be a huge volume when you see it on Amazon. There just wasn't any place that I could see to split it up, like we did DB1.

As for what awaits Thomas in DB3? I won't even pretend to know where Arthur is going with this.

Sorry …  but I really wanted Arthur to feel that we were still solidly behind him as we have been throughout his previous two books. I have been very surprised at the lack of enthusiastic discussion over the first 14 chapters [yes, 14 whole chapters folks!] of 'Mir Pacifica' - as though people just expected Arthur to keep churning out more of the same stuff without allowing for his characters to grow as they got older and matured into young adults. In time we may well see that the much-loved valley at Vimeiro is still functioning as a refuge for orphaned lads and a long term home for injured and disabled soldiers and that the many other projects that Thomas set up in Spain and Portugal with the help of his friends are also developing - but just now only Arthur knows this! Do you remember the inn that Carmello actually purchased from the owner because the food was so bad [or did you all miss that?] - I suspect that a few of the lads were left there to run it and began to take in the local street urchins to work for them and give them a home. Arthur is a master at leaving little seeds like this in his writing that he may or may not return to - it doesn't stop our own imaginations from exploring them! So come on guys -  stop being so lazy and lets encourage this author to keep going … yes?

Incidentally, I am really pleased to see Eric Trager's story "It is what it is" being added to the Castle's Library. I have been reading it on another source and it is a stunning story - here he has reached Chapter 13 but the other source is already at Chapter 58 so there is much, much more to come  and it just gets better and better!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 9:12 AM, Al Norris said:

Hmm, I would have sworn that I posted something about that here. I know I said as much over on the story sites front page (Castle Herald box)... It was there for a several weeks.

My apologies, as it seems I only went half-way!

Al.

No problem, Al. I have Arthur's story page bookmarked and I tend to go there and here. I only make it to the main forum page occasionally. I have too much going on.  :)

@Quill

I find the lack of enthusiasm disappointing as well. Thomas is the same character we grew to love, but he and his friends are older and have been through more than what most boys their age should ever be expected to endure. Even without those challenges, you'll find  big changes in real people of this age during the time which has passed. I find it very realistic.

One thing most people don't consider is that children back then had to grow up and face the responsibilities of work and life much faster. People didn't live as long. Families had more children because children tended to die of diseases before they matured. Children were expected to help carry the burden of providing for their families just as Thomas did when he decided to join his father's regiment. There weren't many opportunities for a boy like Thomas in that time. 

Arthur has managed to craft characters so convincing you expect to see them mentioned in the histories of the time. You can't do it better.

drpaladin, I think we modern folk forget how really hard it was back in those times.

Not only did kids grow up faster, they were expected to marry and produce offspring much younger. Heck, in some countries, you didn't even name your child until they had their first birthday, as many wouldn't survive that long.

Also, "The Road North" is in Paperback and Ebook over at Amazon, for those interested (this will be Book 3 of the published versions).

On 8/2/2018 at 6:06 PM, Al Norris said:

drpaladin, I think we modern folk forget how really hard it was back in those times.

Not only did kids grow up faster, they were expected to marry and produce offspring much younger. Heck, in some countries, you didn't even name your child until they had their first birthday, as many wouldn't survive that long.

Also, "The Road North" is in Paperback and Ebook over at Amazon, for those interested (this will be Book 3 of the published versions).

You can see evidence of this in the age of consent laws. In the U.S., until the very end of the 19th century, the age of consent in most states was twelve. The exception was Delaware, where it was an inexplicable seven. I still can't believe anyone passing that law.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:59 PM, Ashdaw said:

What has happened to the story? 3 months since part 14 and I am waiting to see what is going on with Thomas and the fleet?
I am beside myself with concern, I do so hope that Arthur is well? 

If you look back up at the conversation in this thread, you'll see he's taking a needed break. I'm sure he's alright since another portion of DB is being released to the paying public.  :)

22 hours ago, drpaladin said:

If you look back up at the conversation in this thread, you'll see he's taking a needed break. I'm sure he's alright since another portion of DB is being released to the paying public.  :)

Thanks, I should have checked better. I hope he has a good break. ?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Ashdaw said:

Has anyone heard how Arthur is going? Is he okay? 

Ashdaw, Arthur has submitted to others of his stories, perhaps not on this site, but elsewhere, that one of the Administrators is familiar with.  From what has been said, I don't believe it is health that has paused efforts for Drummer Boy - MP.  I don't recall if a cause has been offered, but Arthur's good health has been mentioned, in reply to previous and similar inquiries.  I tend to think that it is simply a matter of the tremendous amount of research that goes into good historical fiction, as Arthur's Drummer Boy has been.

On Dec. 18th, Arthur replied to an email, saying he does intend to return to Mir Pacifica "soon," but he needed "a break from Thomas' adventures." Meanwhile, he sent another story to be posted at CR "to keep readers going." Indeed, writing such a long series, with so much excellent detail, as Jaayson pointed out, takes a lot of focus. But he said he hates to leave anything unfinished, so he will get back to it. That's the last I've heard, but he has always quickly responded whenever I've written him.

Jaayson... might you have links to the stories he has recently been posting on other sites? I'd appreciate a chance to check them out, please.  I've enjoyed several he has posted here at CR.  Thanks!

On February 15, 2019 at 7:58 PM, Tinker Taylor Soldier I said:

Jaayson... might you have links to the stories he has recently been posting on other sites? I'd appreciate a chance to check them out, please.  I've enjoyed several he has posted here at CR.  Thanks!

I apologize for confusing any issues.  I'm not familiar with where Arthur might be posting for other sites.  I was referring to previous posts I'd seen here, which had pointed out that Arthur had been posting to other stories, or otherwise communicating with one of CR's administrators, or at least something for the CR sites.  I originally found DB, Book 1 on Nifty.org.  About half way through that book, Arthur responded to an email I'd sent, within which he told me about CR.  I've only rarely been back to nifty.

Oh, you are missing out. Authar wrights some awesome space fiction. One of the best is s short story by the name, "Twilight Motel". I think you would find it really enjoyable. It is over missed by DB. Authar was posting "twilight motel" when DB became such a big hit. I think that is why it is only six chapters. Do not let that lesson your expectations on that story it is outstanding. You are doing yourself an injustice if you do not give it a look. Turely original , and surprisingly enjoyable. You will not have read anything like it before. One day I hope he revisits it and exspands the it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree with TT.  One year has gone by with no continuation of Drummer Boy. Of course, my main concern is that Arthur is quite well, relaxing on a beach imagining Thomas' fleet sailing by. If Arthur decides not to continue with Pacifica, so be it. What he has created with DB remains the standard for historical fiction.

One of my wishes regarding DB would be Arthur allowing other authors to add to the saga. Some examples of short stories could be (off the top of my head):

- Oliver Perrin: Running from his drunken father and ending up with his benefactor.

- Oliver and Tommy Perrin: Would liked to have a scene with just the 2 talking/reconnecting.

- Snot and Maketja: It was noted that they had become close.

- Who the heck was the Prince's spy in Thomas' camp.

Heck, I remember the vigorous forum debate about the need or not for "dangling bits" in DB. With these side stories, why not throw it open. Of course, I Arthur should have final say as to what would be allowed.

Again, my main hope Arthur is well and recovering from his multi-year long writing adventure with the Drummer Boy.

To refresh my enthusiasm and memories over the last couple days I've been rereading DB3 from the start. I'm a little more than half-way through the chapters we have. Like all the Drummer Boy saga... this is a pleasure to read, no matter how many times I've done so. This is my third time reading these DB3 chapters... and I've read DB1 & 2 thee times and started a fourth reading. I suppose when I finish this reading of DB3, I'll go back and finish my fourth reading of DB1&2. I'm glad I bought the three volumes that have been published so far, so I will always be able to read them again.

Interesting suggestion, CMSZ... the idea of perhaps others contributing "associated stories."  It might be a bit disappointing if the stories spin the nature of the characters differently than how Arthur originally presented them... or if the quality of the presentation isn't quite up to the standard (as you said) set by Arthur. But still, I hope there is life yet for Thomas and his friends in some form/fashion... preferably from Arthur, himself... but maybe this idea of yours would be worth a try.

TT

• 2 months later...

The long awaited new chapter was not a disappointment. In keeping with the story we have all became fans of it is exciting and tantalising at the same time. You can hardly put it down wondering what next is to happen. The fight sean even training was vivid in your minds eye to every turn and contact made. Totally enjoyable as always. I look forward to the next installment with anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the excellent new chapter, Sir Arthur! Exciting to see Thomas and his men back in fighting action... and apparently transitioning their battle skills from land to sea with little problem. But it will be interesting to see how they face more challenging foes in future chapters.

Hope you're doing well. Thanks again for keeping our young hero going!

TT