Drummer Boy 3 - Mir Pacifica

Castle Herald

As always a wonderful chapter. It looks as Thomas has made a good new friend. What will happen when the chef and his men get there?  Will Georges boy be safe from the coming chef and his men? Will Thomas and his men be safe? We will see next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No matter how much you read of the story it never seems to lack surprise you. Thomas no matter where he goes is placed in a roll he never asked for. A leader is a person who leads his follows in action and deeds to blsse the way. Now how is he to return to his ships. Will this be a problem for him? If and when he dose depart will he ever return to his new lands and charges?

I have to say that I am finding the last few chapters a little slow so far; to my mind, I think it lacks the cohesion of Thomas's band of Brothers and the mischief they cause. Whilst I understand from my own military career, friends come and go as we move through conflicts and campaigns and postings. I just find that the story has run into the doldrums, and the quicker Thomas and his merry band take to sea again the quicker we can see the band of brothers back doing what they do best causing mayhem on the high sea's. I fully appreciate the hard work Arthur must have done in researching the storyline, but Thomas adventures on the Africain  coast have failed to tickle my sense of adventure as Book 0ne & two have so far.

It is a bit slow but still very interesting. I agree that once back at sea we may see more of the Thomas we have come to love and enjoy so much. I will still enjoy reading the adventure and anticipate the coming adventures there and upon the high seas. It is still one of the best stories I have read on line so far.

• 2 weeks later...

An awesome chapter. I know I say that a lot about Dummer Boy's chapters, but what else can you say. Thomas has returned to the ship ladened with ivory, skins and unknown what in the jugs. He has two guards I just wonder how long before they pick up the language? So far so good we will see next time what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As always a wonder chapter. The Dutch seemed a bit unfriendly maybe next time they will be a bit more civil. The ships an crew are the mercy of the wind and currants at this time. Which in today world we give little thought to. Now what lay ahead we can only think. Maybe we will see next time we visit.

Dear participants of the Mir Pacifica chat. Im a reder from Germany so please excuse my poor skills at english.

I recently wrote mails to Arthur about the latest 2 chapters (13+14). Its hard to me to find my former Thomas Marking. I will add the 2 mails for further discussion. Maybe that may help me to understand whats going on.

Dated  05.17.18 Hello Arthur,
im a reader from Germany. Im veery pleased and impressed about book 1 and 2.
But book 3 is different. Im not that good at english but i will try to explain what i thing is very strange and uncommon and break the line which is going though 1 and 2.
I cant understand why we have no further notice about Carmelo, his closest friend. Not even as Thomas layed down with his injuries. He neither were part of the captains meetings. In real life i would thing that a serious break in friendship is going on. Is he still second in command?
And what happened to his other close friends? Jervis and Lorenco. Just a very view words about them. Davis. Never mentioned again.

Dated 06.02.18 Hello Arthur,
How could this disaster happen in the Cape Town harbour?
How could they distroy an innocent merchant ship?  In my eyes they are murders and outlaws  now.
This isnt the Thomas Marking ive known in the past and im not sure if i want to follow the story in the future

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 4:31 AM, minimee said:

Dear participants of the Mir Pacifica chat. Im a reder from Germany so please excuse my poor skills at english.

I recently wrote mails to Arthur about the latest 2 chapters (13+14). Its hard to me to find my former Thomas Marking. I will add the 2 mails for further discussion. Maybe that may help me to understand whats going on.

Dated  05.17.18 Hello Arthur,
im a reader from Germany. Im veery pleased and impressed about book 1 and 2.
But book 3 is different. Im not that good at english but i will try to explain what i thing is very strange and uncommon and break the line which is going though 1 and 2.
I cant understand why we have no further notice about Carmelo, his closest friend. Not even as Thomas layed down with his injuries. He neither were part of the captains meetings. In real life i would thing that a serious break in friendship is going on. Is he still second in command?
And what happened to his other close friends? Jervis and Lorenco. Just a very view words about them. Davis. Never mentioned again.

Dated 06.02.18 Hello Arthur,
How could this disaster happen in the Cape Town harbour?
How could they distroy an innocent merchant ship?  In my eyes they are murders and outlaws  now.
This isnt the Thomas Marking ive known in the past and im not sure if i want to follow the story in the future

Since we only see what Thomas sees and there are three ships, we aren't going to see all the characters in a chapter all the time.  We have seen Jervis and Lorenco when they were on shore in Africa.

Carmelo wasn't at the captains meetings because only the captains have command of their ships. Thomas was there as the owner of the company, but even he would defer to the suggestions of his ship captains.

As to Cape Town, did you miss the part where they ordered Thomas' ships to leave the harbor to face a violent storm at sea and certain death? Would you have preferred they shelled the town instead in response? This was a measured response.  The ship was a Dutch trader and fair game. They are going to be fighting the Dutch in the Pacific over trade. This was just the first skirmish.

11 hours ago, drpaladin said:

As  written, this could be a question, an assumption, or an answer with a typo.

I can say that it is anything but a typo!

I'm not privy to what Arthur is doing. I know that he asked me to post that he was taking time off from writing DB-3. Saying anything else is mere speculation.

What I do know is that Arthur has been writing Drummer Boy for the last two and a half years, to the exclusion of all else. I know that between DB-1 and DB-2, he wanted to take a break and get some other stories and/or ideas worked on. That didn't happen. Again, between DB-2 and DB-3, Arthur really, really wanted to spend some time on other things. That hasn't happened.

As a fan, as an editor, as another author (even if very small, IMO)... I might be able to offer an explanation. But any such explanation would still be speculation and would ultimately serve no real purpose.

I'm comfortable to sit back and wait... for however long it takes.

12 hours ago, drpaladin said:

At last! It was the simple answer not present in this thread. I don't have a problem with him taking a break either.

Hmm, I would have sworn that I posted something about that here. I know I said as much over on the story sites front page (Castle Herald box)... It was there for a several weeks.

My apologies, as it seems I only went half-way!

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken several weeks to think about what I actually wanted to place in this reply - because when I read the posts from "Minimee" I was actually quite angry that Arthur should have been subjected to them. "Minimee" states "it's hard for me to find my former Thomas Marking" but you see Thomas Marking is NOT yours or mine! Thomas is a product of Arthur's amazing imagination and months of disciplined careful work! The extraordinary depth which he has achieved in DB1 and DB2 is possible only because Arthur expects us to look up things that we don't know about - such as the various battles that took place on the Iberian Peninsular in the early years of the 19th century; the turmoil that Napolean's greed created in Spain and Portugal and the complete setting of the story. Arthur had me trailing along behind him looking at maps from that period to locate the various cities, towns and villages where the battles were fought, the weapons that were used at that time, the clothes and uniforms that were "proper" - even the "Della guerra"! In short before you criticise the author for not writing his story as you would have done I think you should have looked up some historical information yourself about the Dutch "expansionism" which was taking place not only over the Spice Islands but across the rest of the world.  The barbaric cruelty with which they achieved their own ends was every bit as bad as the French [and the English aristocracy!].

During the stunning DB1 and 2 Thomas was reacting to things which were asked of him- by his own Father, by the British army and Wellington, by Mr. Percy in his spying role for the British Prime Minister Spencer Percival, even by Carmello who used and manipulated him to provide shelter for his waifs and strays; by the Morgan clan and the Black Hand, by Prince Pimental, almost everyone who meets Thomas sees that he is special and tries to use his gifts for their own advantage. When he returns to Portugal prior to setting sail for the Mir Pacifica he tries to distance himself from the past - he no longer wants to be "The General" - that part of his life is over - or so he thinks. Yet he still has to answer the summons from the Portuguese monarch and has already agreed  to find out what has happened to the dead Black Hand member. He has never been to sea in this way before, everything is way outside of his comfort zone - the Captains under Mr. Scully are in charge. Thomas is searching for himself  - he is becoming a man, no longer doing the bidding of others! And yet even when he agrees to free the slaves and return the Chief's "heir" to him Thomas is kidnapped by the tribe and placed once again in great danger. However what happened to him away from everyone else is a superb piece of writing and Arthur himself puts Thomas through a kind of "coming of age" ceremony. Eventually the chief sees just how special Thomas is and showers him with gifts - but the real gift to Thomas is his acceptance into the tribe as an equal. He achieves his victory alone without the others around him. And with a greater self knowledge and inner confidence he sets off on the quest. Carmello seems to have almost stepped back on purpose giving his dearest friend the space to find himself.

I suspect one of the reasons that DB3 is on hold just now is that Arthur has begun to realise just what he has begun!? We are already on chapter 14 and we have only just now sailed into the outer edges of the Pacific Ocean. I can see DB3 becoming DB4 and possibly even DB5 very easily and still Thomas and Snot and Fairley and Carmello and  probably most of the others will still have us spell-bound wishing we could write as well as Arthur does! Thank you, Sir, for allowing us to see and share in the results of your labours! When you are ready to pick up your pen again you will find a willing reader here!