Rivers of the Dead

Zach Caldwell

After facing a few of his own ghosts, Caleb is now entered the city.  What will he find or nor find?  I think maybe the water Caleb saved will come in handy. We will have to see. I wonder why the tree cat eyed dogs are right behind them? Ethan is totally obsessed in getting Caleb back. Will he or will Caleb find his own way back? Maybe both will be lost or maybe Liz and her baby may play a roll. We will have to wait till the next part.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, Jay said:

After facing a few of his own ghosts, Caleb is now entered the city.  What will he find or nor find?  I think maybe the water Caleb saved will come in handy. We will have to see. I wonder why the tree cat eyed dogs are right behind them? Ethan is totally obsessed in getting Caleb back. Will he or will Caleb find his own way back? Maybe both will be lost or maybe Liz and her baby may play a roll. We will have to wait till the next part.

I love all the questions you're asking and I hope the answers satisfy you. :) We definitely have a lot more ground to cover still, with many more adventures to come. What will Caleb find at his journey's end? Will it be everything he bargained for?

An outstanding two new chapters. Caleb in their downtown remembering the things they did. In away Caleb knowing that it was only memories and nor getting trapped by them. Back in the land of the living Ethan has grown in his powers of magic. He is now surpassed Liz. We still see that he is not all powerful being push into the tree. We will have to come back more as we are drawn by such an awesome store.

Caleb has found out what was always there. Orpheus is the lord of the underworld. What kind of games is he playing ? What dose he have planed ? What will Caleb do? Then we have Ethan coming to the understanding he can not bring Caleb back. I will be back to find out more.

Awesome chapters. Dose Caleb have death thinking or maybe unsure of its self? Caleb has to be very careful in the steps he take to try and get back to the living. Dose Liz's baby have anything to do with Caleb coming back? It could but will it? How would Ethan know if it did? Maybe I am over thinking this? We have to come back to find out.

A totally enjoyable read. Caleb is learning very fast about the underworld. Will it be enuff and will it be in time? Ethan is moving out of his childhood home. He is making the first big move of adulthood to be on his own two feet. What Liz and he has planed will it work? What will they find out if it dose? Maybe next time we will learn a bit more. Till then.

An outstanding few chapters. Caleb has learned the meaning of the rivers. Which makes you think deeply. I would say the meaning behind each one being a bit different for each person. Now as for Ethan, Jack and Liz they have learned more. The battle of the underworld they comteamplate is much harder than they think. We will see next time I hope.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:52 PM, Jay said:

An outstanding few chapters. Caleb has learned the meaning of the rivers. Which makes you think deeply. I would say the meaning behind each one being a bit different for each person. Now as for Ethan, Jack and Liz they have learned more. The battle of the underworld they comteamplate is much harder than they think. We will see next time I hope.

Man, I suck at responding to these! You're likely right about the difference in meaning for different people, since the whole of the Underworld is supposed to change according it its user. Thanks for the thought provoking observation!

I had the privilege to read this book in print before it got published online - this is my review.

A tale of star crossed lovers whose fate takes our hero Caleb on a long voyage through the underworld in search of Ethan the boy for whom he never had the courage to declare his love. Both boys have shared the friendship of Liz, another outsider, whose world of magic will play an important part in their destiny.

Sometimes aided or perhaps thwarted by others, never certain that things are what they seem, nor that everyone's intention is true to what they profess. This is a struggle with the destiny of their very souls and a battle with Death.

The author evokes an ethereal beauty in the descriptions of the landscapes, both real and surreal. The dialogue between the characters is clever and complex, we are at once privileged to know what our hero may be thinking, yet never quite certain that he may not be mistaken. It is a battle of wits as well as power, and we are kept guessing as we hope our hero will triumph, but will he?

I know it is a well worn phrase, but I simply could not put the book down, and I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 10:10 PM, Jay said:

Awesome is all I can say. Chapter 7 was outstanding. Caleb and death Sean is some of your best work to date. I am a fan of your work anyway but chapter 7 is truly SciFi at some of its best. A must read by anyone into SciFi action.

I'm truly grateful for your comments. I didn't have this story's ending perfectly planned when I started writing this, and it mostly happened with improvised decisions last minute. But this scene was actually the one I had envisioned and was shooting for since the crossing of the Cocytus. I think this scene is what made the story happen.

On 11/8/2017 at 5:22 AM, William King said:

I had the privilege to read this book in print before it got published online - this is my review.

A tale of star crossed lovers whose fate takes our hero Caleb on a long voyage through the underworld in search of Ethan the boy for whom he never had the courage to declare his love. Both boys have shared the friendship of Liz, another outsider, whose world of magic will play an important part in their destiny.

Sometimes aided or perhaps thwarted by others, never certain that things are what they seem, nor that everyone's intention is true to what they profess. This is a struggle with the destiny of their very souls and a battle with Death.

The author evokes an ethereal beauty in the descriptions of the landscapes, both real and surreal. The dialogue between the characters is clever and complex, we are at once privileged to know what our hero may be thinking, yet never quite certain that he may not be mistaken. It is a battle of wits as well as power, and we are kept guessing as we hope our hero will triumph, but will he?

I know it is a well worn phrase, but I simply could not put the book down, and I highly recommend it.

William, your words are as welcome as always. I am grateful to see them once again, and I hope your review is seen by more people because I really love sharing this story!

On 11/11/2017 at 5:10 AM, Jay said:

It has been an wonderful adventure. Like a things we come to the end. We did see that love can be carried with us and transcend the barrier of life and death itself. Maybe we did not come to the end after all. We just witnessed a birth of a new beginning.

Thank you, my friend. I like to think that there are many more adventures in store for all those involved, adventures I may even consider writing once the muse strikes in the right way.

I'm grateful for the support of people reading this story. It was a fun ride.

And here's a bonus comic!

image.png.05d390246f1c6f405f69dd02b2bf9dd1.png