Rivers of the Dead

Zach Caldwell

"Funerals are for the living." Even when you don't feel alive... maybe especially then.

It's hard to say that final goodbye. To never hear their laughter or anger again. To never see their hurt, their love. It's never easy. That's why we have funerals. To help ease the pain you feel, by sharing it with others who feel just like you. Even though you can't see it right away.

In the world that Caleb and Liz share, can they bring back Ethan? As Jay asks, at what cost to Caleb and Liz?

On 9/11/2017 at 9:55 PM, Jay said:

A very nice and enjoyable read. Will Liz and Calab be able to bring back Ethan? Even if they do will he be the same? What will it cost both Liz and Calab to bring him bake if they can? Maybe we will find out a bit more next time.

Part 1 is mainly about setting the stage. Part 2 is where the real fun begins. But trust me, for the main course, the table setting is definitely a requirement. Those are definitely great questions to be asking.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, Al Norris said:

"Funerals are for the living." Even when you don't feel alive... maybe especially then.

It's hard to say that final goodbye. To never hear their laughter or anger again. To never see their hurt, their love. It's never easy. That's why we have funerals. To help ease the pain you feel, by sharing it with others who feel just like you. Even though you can't see it right away.

In the world that Caleb and Liz share, can they bring back Ethan? As Jay asks, at what cost to Caleb and Liz?

Amen, Al. That's a beautiful sentiment.

Thank you both for reading and commenting!

I've been in the midst of moving between apartments for this past little while, which is the main reason I haven't checked back more regularly. Unfortunately, there's now a new problem, as my internet is completely inactive (and will be for the time being until we can resolve an extremely frustrating issue with our ISP). I'll try and check back while I'm at work, but we're heading into the busy season now, and that will become more and more difficult as time goes one.

To many times we have seen young people take their own life for such reason. It just reminds me of an old song ",if you can not love the one you want, then love the one you are with". If one could think of this maybe they would be less likely to do something destructive. When you are young rejection can be a horrible thing to over come. We will see if Caleb and Liz can perform the spell and it work. What will Caleb's reaction be to the note book Liz has? What will Liz do to help Caleb though the better times ahead? We have not seen how this is playing out for Liz. She is more concerned with Caleb's filling than her own. How will she react when she has to deal with her own? We will see how strong she really is before it is over I hope.

On 9/16/2017 at 7:35 AM, Jay said:

To many times we have seen young people take their own life for such reason. It just reminds me of an old song ",if you can not love the one you want, then love the one you are with". If one could think of this maybe they would be less likely to do something destructive. When you are young rejection can be a horrible thing to over come. We will see if Caleb and Liz can perform the spell and it work. What will Caleb's reaction be to the note book Liz has? What will Liz do to help Caleb though the better times ahead? We have not seen how this is playing out for Liz. She is more concerned with Caleb's filling than her own. How will she react when she has to deal with her own? We will see how strong she really is before it is over I hope.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Awesome just Awesome end to part 1. Ethan is back Caleb is gone and Liz is at a loss of words. Thevspell worked but not as they planed. How will they get Caleb back? I can not hardly wait till part 2 starts.

Glad you're still enjoying it. Sorry it took so long to reply again. There's a lot more to come for our three protagonists (Caleb, Ethan, Liz), so stay tuned. Your questions will mostly be answered, and hopefully all to your satisfaction. The answers should keep coming from the beginning of part 2 to the end of the story, especially since more questions will be raised, muahahaha! Part 2 will come on Saturday, so stay tuned!

A wonderful start to part two of this story. Caleb is now in the under world looking for the ruler of it. What will he find ? What will he do? Back in the world of the living Ethan is back and everyone but Liz think Caleb was the one that died. Will Ethan remember his time in the under world? We will have to wait till next time to see.

"Rivers of the Dead" is an outstanding adaptation of several themes, from angst to the Greek pantheon. The key players are well developed. Their actions and speech define them clearly and they stay in character. I expect the story arc to be quite a roller-coaster, given the ending of Part I and the beginning of Part II, and I've always loved roller-coasters. Cyrus, keep writing, and may the Muses be with you.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:39 AM, Jay said:

A wonderful start to part two of this story. Caleb is now in the under world looking for the ruler of it. What will he find ? What will he do? Back in the world of the living Ethan is back and everyone but Liz think Caleb was the one that died. Will Ethan remember his time in the under world? We will have to wait till next time to see.

8 hours ago, David McLeod said:

"Rivers of the Dead" is an outstanding adaptation of several themes, from angst to the Greek pantheon. The key players are well developed. Their actions and speech define them clearly and they stay in character. I expect the story arc to be quite a roller-coaster, given the ending of Part I and the beginning of Part II, and I've always loved roller-coasters. Cyrus, keep writing, and may the Muses be with you.

Thank you to both of you. I hope it continues to hold your attention. While the story does change drastically from Part 1 to Part 2, Part 2 now has to set the second stage. I hope it was done adequately and learning about The Underworld will be engrossing rather than a tedious trek through details no one wants to know. :P I'm probably just being paranoid, hah!

I appreciate the support. Thanks again for reading!

Very good few chapters. We see Caleb in the underworld. Nothing I was expecting yo hear about the place. Back in the land of the living, we we Liz and Ethan making plans to get Caleb back. Will it work or will Caleb find his own way? We can come back and see what happens.

Interesting, Caleb has crossed over the gates into the underworld. What will he find. Will it be worth the loss of the knife he had to give up? Ethan on the other hand is having his problems as well. Liz and Ethan was asked by Caleb's mom and dad to come see them What for, do they have something to say or show them? We will know more the next time we return.

An enjoyable read. We see Caleb cross over the rivers. We get a better picture of the afterlife and underworld. A lot more to go to understand in the underworld. When we finely get to Liz and Ethan what surprise to find out Jake is a warlock. What help he can give we can only wait and see.