Cynus needs an editor.

Cynus

1) I do not have a specific work that needs editing, but rather the need for someone that can work with me all the time. My previous editor has disappeared suddenly, and I'm currently floating with only my primary beta-reader to guide me.

~ If someone does have time for a one time edit, I am working on a novel set in North Korea that I need reviewed. It's going to be a very dark piece, so I would need someone that could handle something edgy. Right now the story is sitting at approximately 45,000 words, but I anticipate at least another 20-30k before it's finished. I hope to have an editor before then.

2) I have worked with two editors in the past. The first had to stop because of health reasons, and I imagine that the second one disappeared for similar reasons. I love my editors and I try my best to respect their time and effort on my behalf. I am also human, and I make mistakes. I hope that anyone who responds will understand that and tell me if I've rubbed them the wrong way, and I will treat you the way you want to be treated. 

3) I need proofreading and some plot help. I like it when my editors question my work and challenge me when they think I'm off the rails.

4) I suppose that I expect proofreading and plot help. My work is generally pretty smooth, but I want my stories to be the best they can be, and I'll listen to what you have to say.

5) I'm currently working on several novels and a couple of short stories. I'm constantly writing, but I will match whatever load an editor is willing to take on.

6) I work with Microsoft word.

7) I've worked with all sorts of different edits. Whether you do it in the margins or in the line, i don't mind.

Thank you for everyone who took the time to read this. Hopefully one of you will be able to help me out, but if not, thank you all the same. smile.png

Cynus

• 5 months later...

Cynus,

I think I understand your problem.  Perhaps you are too hard on your editors or they are not equipped?

I had an editor who was a perfectionist. He could not bear one little word or comma out of place. 

After he'd edit a piece I would ask him what he thought.  He would shrug his shoulders and not be able to form any kind of opinion.  

I know he liked my work because he read it without prompting but it was if all the poetry just went over his head..

What I am trying to say is that you need two editors. One for tech editing, spelling, punctuation and if you are lucky, paragraph and sentence structure.

The other should be someone for whom your work is right up their alley. At the very least, they understand where you are going.

I find that many queer writers like fantasy and idyllic romance and perfect boyfriends with name-brand underwear.  They hate my work and I am accused of being dark and dystophic.     

An editor must understand how you think and know where you are coming from in order to give positive and constructive criticism .

• 2 weeks later...

Cynus,

I think I understand your problem.  Perhaps you are too hard on your editors or they are not equipped?

I had an editor who was a perfectionist. He could not bear one little word or comma out of place. 

After he'd edit a piece I would ask him what he thought.  He would shrug his shoulders and not be able to form any kind of opinion.  

I know he liked my work because he read it without prompting but it was if all the poetry just went over his head..

What I am trying to say is that you need two editors. One for tech editing, spelling, punctuation and if you are lucky, paragraph and sentence structure.

The other should be someone for whom your work is right up their alley. At the very least, they understand where you are going.

I find that many queer writers like fantasy and idyllic romance and perfect boyfriends with name-brand underwear.  They hate my work and I am accused of being dark and dystophic.     

An editor must understand how you think and know where you are coming from in order to give positive and constructive criticism .

I agree that the editor needs to mesh with the style of the writer. Thankfully, the ones I have now work really well with me. My most prominent one is both great technically and is a fan of my work, and it helps a great deal. I have a couple of beta readers who are intimately familiar with my typical story as well, and these people make sure to keep me on track and help me navigate plot holes.