Soon to be new 10 Dollar Bill

Zach Caldwell

The ten dollar bill will soon have a new face. A woman, for the first time will be featured on the ten dollar bill. Who the woman will be is not yet decided. The one firm criteria is that the woman has to be deceased. Who do you think might make it on the new bill?

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/news/economy/woman-on-ten-dollar-bill/index.html

I would have said Eleanor Roosevelt, but I can't imagine we'd put her on our money before her husband, the only 4 term U.S. President.

Worthy Contenders:

Abigail Adams - the woman behind the great love affair with President John Adams, the least appreciated but arguably our greatest statesman among the Founding Fathers

Elizabeth Cady Stanton - She (and important friend Susan B. Anthony) fought for women’s suffrage when the 14th and 15th amendments excluded gender equality

Julia Ward HoweA poet, lecturer, author of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic." She also helped form the National American Woman Suffrage Association

Jane AddamsNoted for Hull House, an influential haven for disadvantaged people. Active in a variety of causes, she shared the 1931 Nobel Peace Prize

Other Possibilities:

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis - First Lady to President John F. Kennedy. By "inspir[ing] an attention to culture never before evident at a national level," she brought grace and sophistication to the White House.

The LIKELY Choice:

Rosa Parks - Her refusal to give up her seat on a segregated bus in Montgomery, Alabama on December 1, 1955, sparked the modern civil rights movement. 

In my opinion, Miss Rosa Parks would be an excellence choice. Her heroic stand for what is only right is, to me anyway, the epitome of the American ideal. Her actions were as defiant and definitive of a statement for the equality and freedom for all men (and women) as those of the brave men who signed our nation's Declaration of Independence nearly 200 years earlier. She has the added cache of being non-Caucasian, and it's time we honored the diversity of ethnicity that is also a true ideal of the American way.

Ken,

I'd be fine with Helen Keller on the ten dollar bill. I didn't know about the tactile features, but it makes sense. I do wonder though, if we are starting to think about our money the same way we think about stamps. Stamps are by their very nature temporary - they are a once and done usage scenario. They are therefore "disposable" for lack of a better word. They have limited utility and small comparative value to even the lowly dollar bill - for now anyway...grin. Because they have these qualities, stamps are ideal for honoring various people, places, and events that deserve such recognition, and the practice of doing so also makes stamp collecting fun for those who pursue that particular passion.

Paper money, however, has a much longer life and is reused. In fact, it is valid for use until it is eventually reclaimed by the U.S. Treasury and disposed of, or is lost to the wear and tear of everyday life. It is NOT easily replaced, It has a high comparative value. The controls against counterfeiting are complex and extensive, as they should be. And there are extremely stringent protocols for their production, as there should be. All of which limits severely the redesign of our currency. But aside from the physical and practical limitations of currency production, I think there is a philosophical dimension to currency which should also be examined when undertaking the decision to alter its design.

The images on the currency are there to give "visual credence" to the integrity of the entity producing said instruments. In other words, the people and images we put on our currency rightfully should invoke a sense of integrity and confidence and "faith" in the present and future value of the piece of paper. There is an intangible "honor" in the currency itself. Therefore, I believe the people we choose to depict on our currency should have a broadly accepted and recognized integrity and honor in themselves first. I think it is also important that the person embody a sense of loyalty and determination to realize and maintain the American ideals - ideals which are sadly getting lost these days in our overly emotional, self-centered society, but that's another issue for another day.

For example, I would love to see President Ronald Reagan on our currency. I believe strongly that he represented those American ideals extremely well in his service to our country. There are others, however, who would just as strongly disagree, believing he destroyed our country in some way. Hence, there is no "broadly accepted and recognized integrity", so he is not likely to be chosen in my life time. History I believe will prove him to be one of our greatest Presidents, but not now.

Helen Keller is a wonderful example of determination and integrity against all odds. An amazing success story, and an inspiration to millions. Certainly an honorable person and great American. But is there that intangible quality in her that establishes the integrity and "good faith" necessarily embedded in our currency? I don't know about that. 

Just some crazy thoughts on a rainy Thursday morning...grin.

Very valid point Jack,

I would agree with you in some regards on President Reagan although I lean left (okay okay I walk on the left....fine I scream from the left) I do think President Reagan was a damn fine president but to be honored on currency I am not so sure there are too many things he did that many of us disagree with. I would say the same for President Clinton.

you have definitely invoked more thought on this.

This idea won't leave me alone...grin.

One of the reasons this is a tough decision, I think, is we have traditionally - read exclusively - chosen POLITICAL leaders to adorn our currency. Even though women have had the right to vote and participate in elections since 19??, sadly, I can't think of a single truly significant female who has made such a POLITICAL impact, at the same time invoking the integrity issues I spoke of earlier. I find this horribly sad. Where is our Margaret Thatcher?

all good choices but I am putting my money on Heller Keller as this will also be the first bill with a tactile feature for the blind, seems to fit

While Hellen Keller is an amazing story about someone overcoming life's obstacles, that's all she was.  I don't think that's enough to belong on currency.  Jack pointed out that they should embody trust, and that's a good argument, but I'd take a step past that and argue that it should be someone of power.  Someone whose life actually changed the world in some way.  Hellen Keller...  doesn't qualify.  She's an incredible person, but she wasn't the type of person who changed the world.  Compared to Rosa Parks (who I must regretfully conclude is an even better example than Grace Hopper), she doesn't even come close.  That said...  Rosa Parks changed the world because she was at the right place, at the right time, in the right (wrong?) mood.  

all good choices but I am putting my money on Heller Keller as this will also be the first bill with a tactile feature for the blind, seems to fit

Except that it's not the first bill to have a tactile feature. Perhaps one specifically designed for the blind. However, all bills have a series of ridges in certain places. It is one way that they use to detect forged bills. http://www.jasonkersten.com/How%20to%20Detect%20Counterfeit%20Money.html,