Writing Exercise-Never ending story

Here are the rules.

You must continue the story line. You can only write one paragraph and it must tie in with the paragraph posted above you. There is no end to this exercise and everyone is invited to participate.

Here is the First Paragraph.

Jimmy adjusted his tie one last time. He knew if it was out of place his mom would give him the death stare. This dinner was really important to her and he really wanted to support he. She had given so much to him and made her whole life about Jimmy, it was time for her to do something that was really important to her. He looked in the mirror and made sure his hair looked good. He smile, beside Gary was suppose to come with his Dad. He headed down stairs to the kitchen to see if he could help with the last minute touches.

The house was oddly quiet as Jimmy strides down the stairs.  He did not notice the silence at first, excited as he is to be reunited with Gary, for what transpired during the last summer was something Jimmy would forever remember.  His reverie is broken as he reached the landing.  His body is suddenly filled with static electricity; the hairs at the back of his neck stiff as if realizing that something is wrong.  "Mom?" he asks tentatively, "Are you there?"

Jimmy adjusted his tie one last time. He knew if it was out of place his mom would give him the death stare. This dinner was really important to her and he really wanted to support her. She had given so much to him and made her whole life about Jimmy, it was time for her to do something that was really important to her. He looked in the mirror and made sure his hair looked good. He smile, beside Gary was suppose to come with his Dad. He headed down stairs to the kitchen to see if he could help with the last minute touches.

The house was oddly quiet as Jimmy strides down the stairs.  He did not notice the silence at first, excited as he is to be reunited with Gary, for what transpired during the last summer was something Jimmy would forever remember.  His reverie was broken as he reached the landing.  His body was suddenly filled with static electricity; the hairs at the back of his neck stiff as if realizing that something is wrong.  "Mom?" he asked tentatively, "Are you there?"

As he neared the bottom of the stairs, Jimmy looked up to see his mother standing by the open door.  Other dinner guests were standing in the living room, looking on with concerned interest as his mother spoke briefly with a police officer.  The strobe of blue and red lights washed across Jimmy's features as he saw his mother's hand dart up to her mouth in shock.  A police lady lead Gary up the porch steps, the cold wind whipping into the house ahead of him.  He looked dazed in his dapper suit, as if something quite sudden had shocked him into apathy.  Jimmy took the final steps slowly, interpreting from the sad looks on the adult's faces, and the way that Gary was not really responding to things around him, that something dreadful had happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the rules.

You must continue the story line. You can only write one paragraph and it must tie in with the paragraph posted above you. There is no end to this exercise and everyone is invited to participate.

Here is the First Paragraph.

Jimmy adjusted his tie one last time. He knew if it was out of place his mom would give him the death stare. This dinner was really important to her and he really wanted to support he. She had given so much to him and made her whole life about Jimmy, it was time for her to do something that was really important to her. He looked in the mirror and made sure his hair looked good. He smile, beside Gary was suppose to come with his Dad. He headed down stairs to the kitchen to see if he could help with the last minute touches.

The house was oddly quiet as Jimmy strides down the stairs.  He did not notice the silence at first, excited as he is to be reunited with Gary, for what transpired during the last summer was something Jimmy would forever remember.  His reverie is broken as he reached the landing.  His body is suddenly filled with static electricity; the hairs at the back of his neck stiff as if realizing that something is wrong.  "Mom?" he asks tentatively, "Are you there?"

As he neared the bottom of the stairs, Jimmy looked up to see his mother standing by the open door.  Other dinner guests were standing in the living room, looking on with concerned interest as his mother spoke briefly with a police officer.  The strobe of blue and red lights washed across Jimmy's features as he saw his mother's hand dart up to her mouth in shock.  A police lady lead Gary up the porch steps, the cold wind whipping into the house ahead of him.  He looked dazed in his dapper suit, as if something quite sudden had shocked him into apathy.  Jimmy took the final steps slowly, interpreting from the sad looks on the adult's faces, and the way that Gary was not really responding to things around him, that something dreadful had happened. 

Mom ushered Gary in, giving him a hug as she passed him further into the house. He didn't really react to it, though, the look of horror still plastered on his face. I moved closer, warily waving to Gary. He waved back and I wrapped arms around him. "He's gone..." Were the only words that escaped Garry's mouth before he started bawling like crazy. I didn't know what to do, so I just held onto him and let him cry it out. I overheard, between Garry's sobs, part of the conversation between the police woman and my mother. I can't exactly recall how that conversation went, but the important thing I got from it was Garry's dad was dead. He had been shot just a few blocks from here.

The rest of the night went by in a rush. His best friend was inconsolable, and he didn't know what to think, much less say. Ever since his own dad died, Jimmy had been stoic about the whole matter.  He didn't really show much of an interest when his mom began dating his best friend's father, who had also lost his spouse.  In truth, he didn't care much of anything.  It was Gary who made the whole thing work.  His co-conspirator, his confidante, and more.  And now?  And now, the future is uncertain.  What happens to Gary, he doesn't know.  Does he even have any kin nearby?  His thoughts starting to become muddled, the boy fell into a fitful sleep as he dreamt the most disturbing dream he has ever dreamed.

Jimmy adjusted his tie one last time. He knew if it was out of place his mom would give him the death stare. This dinner was really important to her and he really wanted to support her. She had given so much to him and made her whole life about Jimmy, it was time for her to do something that was really important to her. He looked in the mirror and made sure his hair looked good. He smile, beside Gary was suppose to come with his Dad. He headed down stairs to the kitchen to see if he could help with the last minute touches.

The house was oddly quiet as Jimmy strides down the stairs.  He did not notice the silence at first, excited as he is to be reunited with Gary, for what transpired during the last summer was something Jimmy would forever remember.  His reverie was broken as he reached the landing.  His body was suddenly filled with static electricity; the hairs at the back of his neck stiff as if realizing that something is wrong.  "Mom?" he asked tentatively, "Are you there?"

Mom ushered Gary in, giving him a hug as she passed him further into the house. He didn't really react to it, though, the look of horror still plastered on his face. I moved closer, warily waving to Gary. He waved back and I wrapped arms around him. "He's gone..." Were the only words that escaped Garry's mouth before he started bawling like crazy. I didn't know what to do, so I just held onto him and let him cry it out. I overheard, between Garry's sobs, part of the conversation between the police woman and my mother. I can't exactly recall how that conversation went, but the important thing I got from it was Garry's dad was dead. He had been shot just a few blocks from here.

The rest of the night went by in a rush. His best friend was inconsolable, and he didn't know what to think, much less say. Ever since his own dad died, Jimmy had been stoic about the whole matter.  He didn't really show much of an interest when his mom began dating his best friend's father, who had also lost his spouse.  In truth, he didn't care much of anything.  It was Gary who made the whole thing work.  His co-conspirator, his confidante, and more.  And now?  And now, the future is uncertain.  What happens to Gary, he doesn't know.  Does he even have any kin nearby?  His thoughts starting to become muddled, the boy fell into a fitful sleep as he dreamt the most disturbing dream he has ever dreamed.

Jimmy woke in the night, that feeling of falling pulling at his spine and snapping him back to consciousness.  His room was dark, only the light from the streetlamps outside filtered through his NFL team logo curtains.  He stood up and shambled to the bathroom, feeling a need to relieve his bladder.  But as he got to the bathroom, he saw Gary, sitting beside the bathroom door, his back to the wall, crying.  Jimmy was overcome with his own tears, watching his best friend sitting on the floor, sobbing.  He knelt down beside Gary, unsure what to do next.  He reached out, nearly touching his friend's head, thinking about brushing his hair back from his face.  But as his hand got closer, Gary looked up, suddenly, a look of panic in his eyes.

(This is going great I can see the writers trying to tug the story in different directions. One thing lets keep this G-rated, Not everyone likes to read the naughty stuff.)

As he neared the bottom of the stairs, Jimmy looked up to see his mother standing by the open door.  Other dinner guests were standing in the living room, looking on with concerned interest as his mother spoke briefly with a police officer.  The strobe of blue and red lights washed across Jimmy's features as he saw his mother's hand dart up to her mouth in shock.  A police lady lead Gary up the porch steps, the cold wind whipping into the house ahead of him.  He looked dazed in his dapper suit, as if something quite sudden had shocked him into apathy.  Jimmy took the final steps slowly, interpreting from the sad looks on the adult's faces, and the way that Gary was not really responding to things around him, that something dreadful had happened. 

The rest of the night went by in a rush. His best friend was inconsolable, and he didn't know what to think, much less say. Ever since his own dad died, Jimmy had been stoic about the whole matter.  He didn't really show much of an interest when his mom began dating his best friend's father, who had also lost his spouse.  In truth, he didn't care much of anything.  It was Gary who made the whole thing work.  His co-conspirator, his confidante, and more.  And now?  And now, the future is uncertain.  What happens to Gary, he doesn't know.  Does he even have any kin nearby?  His thoughts starting to become muddled, the boy fell into a fitful sleep as he dreamed the most disturbing dream he has ever dreamed.

Jimmy woke in the night, that feeling of falling pulling at his spine and snapping him back to consciousness.  His room was dark, only the light from the streetlamps outside filtered through his NFL team logo curtains.  He stood up and shambled to the bathroom, feeling a need to relieve his bladder.  But as he got to the bathroom, he saw Gary, sitting beside the bathroom door, his back to the wall, crying.  Jimmy was overcome with his own tears, watching his best friend sitting on the floor, sobbing.  He knelt down beside Gary, unsure what to do next.  He reached out, nearly touching his friend's head, thinking about brushing his hair back from his face.  But as his hand got closer, Gary looked up, suddenly, a look of panic in his eyes.

He looked at Jimmy his eyes wide, his mouth open to scream. Jimmy started to pull his hand back but Gary's face softened a little. A weak half smile tore at Jimmy's heart "You scared the crap out of me."

"Sorry, man just needed to pee and saw you here.

Jimmy scooted past Gary and used the toilet real quick. Gary was still sitting in the hall when he was finished. Jimmy squatted down next him. "Come on, Big G. Come to my room you can use the sleeping bag on the floor. You shouldn't be alone right now."

Gary's eyes got hopeful for a second. "You sure, I mean its your room man."

"Gary, you've done it a million times. Come on already."

"Jimmy, I know this is weird and all but I can I ask a favor."

"Gary, anything man, anything at all."

Gary blushed a little and hung his head down. "Can I sleep with you. I am feeling really lonely right now."

Jimmy smiled and pulled Gary into a hug. "Of course buddy, I would do anything for you."

As he neared the bottom of the stairs, Jimmy looked up to see his mother standing by the open door.  Other dinner guests were standing in the living room, looking on with concerned interest as his mother spoke briefly with a police officer.  The strobe of blue and red lights washed across Jimmy's features as he saw his mother's hand dart up to her mouth in shock.  A police lady lead Gary up the porch steps, the cold wind whipping into the house ahead of him.  He looked dazed in his dapper suit, as if something quite sudden had shocked him into apathy.  Jimmy took the final steps slowly, interpreting from the sad looks on the adult's faces, and the way that Gary was not really responding to things around him, that something dreadful had happened. 

The rest of the night went by in a rush. His best friend was inconsolable, and he didn't know what to think, much less say. Ever since his own dad died, Jimmy had been stoic about the whole matter.  He didn't really show much of an interest when his mom began dating his best friend's father, who had also lost his spouse.  In truth, he didn't care much of anything.  It was Gary who made the whole thing work.  His co-conspirator, his confidante, and more.  And now?  And now, the future is uncertain.  What happens to Gary, he doesn't know.  Does he even have any kin nearby?  His thoughts starting to become muddled, the boy fell into a fitful sleep as he dreamed the most disturbing dream he has ever dreamed.

Jimmy woke in the night, that feeling of falling pulling at his spine and snapping him back to consciousness.  His room was dark, only the light from the streetlamps outside filtered through his NFL team logo curtains.  He stood up and shambled to the bathroom, feeling a need to relieve his bladder.  But as he got to the bathroom, he saw Gary, sitting beside the bathroom door, his back to the wall, crying.  Jimmy was overcome with his own tears, watching his best friend sitting on the floor, sobbing.  He knelt down beside Gary, unsure what to do next.  He reached out, nearly touching his friend's head, thinking about brushing his hair back from his face.  But as his hand got closer, Gary looked up, suddenly, a look of panic in his eyes.

He looked at Jimmy his eyes wide, his mouth open to scream. Jimmy started to pull his hand back but Gary's face softened a little. A weak half smile tore at Jimmy's heart "You scared the crap out of me."

"Sorry, man just needed to pee and saw you here.

Jimmy scooted past Gary and used the toilet real quick. Gary was still sitting in the hall when he was finished. Jimmy squatted down next him. "Come on, Big G. Come to my room you can use the sleeping bag on the floor. You shouldn't be alone right now."

Gary's eyes got hopeful for a second. "You sure, I mean its your room man."

"Gary, you've done it a million times. Come on already."

"Jimmy, I know this is weird and all but I can I ask a favor."

"Gary, anything man, anything at all."

Gary blushed a little and hung his head down. "Can I sleep with you. I am feeling really lonely right now."

Jimmy smiled and pulled Gary into a hug. "Of course buddy, I would do anything for you."

That next morning, Jimmy woke up feeling overly warm.  He realized that Gary's back was pressed to his front, the two of them spooned towards the wall side of his bed.  They both had t-shirts and boxers on under the blankets, and it was almost uncomfortably hot.  He shoved back the blanket and sighed in the rush of cooler air.  He felt Gary shift a bit in front of him and thought maybe he'd done the wrong thing, waking Gary up.  After all that had happened last night, Jimmy was very worried about his buddy.  What would happen now?  Jimmy wanted to help but he didn't know what he could do.

"You awake?" Gary asked, his voice sounding small echoing off the wall.  The house felt quiet and still.

"Yeah," Jimmy replied, keeping his voice small as well.  He felt his voice return off the side of Gary's wild, wavy brown hair.

"I don't wanna get up yet," Gary said, at length.

"Me either.  Too early."

"What time is it?"  Jimmy leaned his head back enough to get a glimpse of the big red letters of his alarm clock.

"Almost 10," Jimmy answered, leaning back against Gary.  Their heights were similar enough that Jimmy's nose pressed near the back of Gary's neck.  "You okay?"

"Mostly," Gary replied, his arm tugging tighter over Jimmy's arm, which draped over Gary's ribs.  "I slept better here than on your couch."

"Mom shoulda known better." Jimmy said.  "I'm glad you stayed up here, too."

"You don't think I'm a pussy for this, do you?"

"Dude, after... well after last night, I'd have been crying like a little girl, too.  I don't think you're a pussy.  I think you just needed to not be alone."

"Yeah.  Thanks, Jimmy.  You're my best friend."

The door to the bedroom creaked open more, since Jimmy was one of those boys who couldn't sleep with the door completely closed.  Mom poked her head in and looked right at the bed.  Seeing the boys together she smiled.  "Oh, guess I should have figured you'd wind up here.  When you boys are ready, come downstairs.  We can nuke some leftovers from the party and talk."

• 1 month later...

A few minutes after his mother closes the door, Jimmy feels a sharp wrenching pain in his gut - one that is starting to radiate to all parts of his body.  The boy doubles over to throw up when he realizes that his clothes are growing larger and looser!  And so is the room!  The pain subsides to throbbing soreness as Jimmy continues to inexplicably shrink in size.  Thirty seconds after the initial sensation, the pain is over.  Jimmy has disappeared -- buried under a gigantic mound of clothing that crumpled to the ground in a heap -- his shirt, shorts, and even his undies.  The stark-naked boy shakes off the clothes which are now too big for him, and realizes with a start that he is only about eight inches tall!