Does political correctness foster a better creative framework?

A.B

I disagree as I think people should speak their minds and then have an expectation -unless they are being rude and arrogant on purporse- for other people to come and discuss things with them if they think they have been wronged or insulted...where do you guys stand?

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/political-correctness-fosters-better-creative-teamwork

I wish there was more information on that study.  A sample size of four hundred odd students sounds alright, but I wonder how many were in each individual test group.  If the test groups were five to six individuals, that means only 85 groups or so.  Which, one you divide them up into at least four categories (pure/split gender and politically correct/incorrect), gives us a sample size of twenty.  Which is in fact below the level of statistical significance.

It's still an interesting study.  I would have expected exactly the opposite, but...

instead of focusing on a bunch of people who are probably pretty spoiled and have not had to do anything for themselves including think, (I'm saying this because Ivy League Schools are not about teaching free thinking or hard work- just look at who they let speak and refuse to let speak at their universities) what they need to study is how creative people are who have thicker skins and are not insulted by the stupidity of political correctness handle stress of real world workplaces and come up with real world solutions

instead of focusing on a bunch of people who are probably pretty spoiled and have not had to do anything for themselves including think, (I'm saying this because Ivy League Schools are not about teaching free thinking or hard work- just look at who they let speak and refuse to let speak at their universities) what they need to study is how creative people are who have thicker skins and are not insulted by the stupidity of political correctness handle stress of real world workplaces and come up with real world solutions

Why Kyle, it's not healthy to bottle up your emotions.  Let us know what you really think why don't you.

That said, this is one study.  Having produced this result once, I guarantee you -- I guarantee you -- a dozen other psychology departments (at least!) are going to be reproducing this study at their institutions, precisely to see what happens.

Now, if you want to really pick at this, most psychological studies are stuck with using college students because that's who they can suck in for a grade.  (I was required to participate in two separate studies when I took a GE psychology class, for example)

• 2 weeks later...

The task was to find a use for an empty lot, and the gage of creativity was the number and novelty of ideas.  This does not suggest that practicality or profitability was any part of the task, solutions, or evaluation of the results.  Participants can "win" by being outlandish and ridiculous.  Therefore this study is only suggestive of one that might be conducted in a workplace or business, where those two limiting factors are critical.  Those two factors might also supply, in a work environment, the "same page" effect surmised to be produced among students by gender exclusivity.

And I think that the reason that the term "politically correct" worked in this student environment when "polite" and "inoffensive" did not is that the latter two terms generally apply to common social standards, while the first comes into play any time any single individual finds anything objectionable, whether most of the group would or not.  That is my problem with this phrase in the work environment.  I cannot decide to be or not to be politically correct; only YOU can decide if I am.  My violation of "correctness" is not dependent on my will, or even my action, but only on the perception of any ONE of a (possibly quite large and diverse) group.  In my opinion this is an unfair, illogical, and burdensome standard which potentially grants immeasurable power to one team member for mischief, retaliation, aggression, and abuse of authority.   

• 11 months later...

Sponsored by HP!

The whole thing sounds Orwellian,..but in a good way!

I suppose if you are a cog that needs to fit into a corporate hole, this clip from management could be helpful because it's about corporate productivity.    

The smaller the firm, the more personal and interactive.  The larger the corporation the more impersonal and the less you count as an individual.

Corporations are not democracies, they are top down hierarchical structures.

It doesn't matter what you did yesterday, the only day that counts is today..

Especially these days with massive lay-offs, the friendly and congenial people get moved to the curb along with everyone else.

Political correctness is Orwellian, doublethink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink