D'Artagnon: Ask a Character

D'Artagnon

Well, I figured I'd give this a shot.  This space will be used for putting the characters on the spot for my Canterbury Knights stories.  At present, those stories are Coupe and Educating Max.  Any character is available for grilling, er, interrogation, uh, that is, uh questions of a polite nature (although you may get a slightly less than polite answer, depending on whom you ask).  Have fun and let's see where this leads.

Warning: I'm not going to answer questions that might be considered spoilers.  If a question like that comes up, well, you can expect the character questioned to respond... questionably.

Hiya Greg!

Well, Mom always said I was special!

To be honest, I never really thought much about it.  Being a geek you spend a lot of time between your own ears.  I didn't have a lot of friends other than like internet stuff or guys from school before, well, you know.  But, I knew I was different, just not how different.  So if you're asking if I knew I was a changeling or a Satyr or anything like that, I'd have to say no.  I guess growing up, even just the little bit I've done so far, means learning stuff about yourself.

And, uhm, I only started having like THOSE sort of thoughts before I met Kenny.  I'd been trying to ignore it and stuff, but like, I could feel changes  coming over me (NOT LIKE THAT... you old PERV!)  Besides, as Kenny will tell  you, I have a bad habit of not looking beneath the skin enough.

But that's a different story.

Be safe, Greg.  And if you can't be good, then, well, make sure you use protection.

Robby French / Robyn the Blue of Cerulean

Kenny,

I am a US Navy SEAL and the love of my life is an Army Officer. We often spend very long periods with little to no contact with each other. How long did you have to wait to find Robyn? How were you able to handle the wait?

Lieutenant Commander Buchinski "Bucky"

US Navy SEALS

Hello, Lt. Buchinski

I never thought I'd be talking to a Navy SEAL.  So please forgive me for being a little nervous.

Robyn and I have been together a very long time.  If you think about the history of humanity, we've been together since before writing, since before farming, even.  Granted, it's not been a continuous amount of time.  The Changeling Way isn't so much a direct linear thing.  More like a series of jumps connected by separations.  I don't want to bore you with all those gory details, but if you did try to stack together all the times we've actually been together, same place and time, it probably stretches about as long as Egyptian history.  This time around, well...

Robby doesn't know this yet, or at least he hasn't said anything to me about it, BUT, I saw him for the first time when we were in 1st grade.  Different classes and all that.  But I knew there was something about him that drew me in.  Being an Eshu, you always know the right path, even if you don't know why it's the right path or how that path will turn out.  I've learned to just go with it.  So, in a sense, this time around, I've known about him a long time, and been waiting a long time, and... and sometimes that waiting can be a crushing thing.  Which explains some of my actions about him.

Besides, he's kinda cute with those horns poking up over his eyes like that.

I honestly don't know how to respond to your question, though, Lieutenant.  When we get separated, it usually means one or both of us "died" in the mortal world and had to wait for the cosmic lottery to dump us back into mortal bodies, and then awaken our fae souls and then maybe, if we're fantastically lucky, to find each other again.  Sometimes that's just a matter of destiny.  Sometimes, you gotta work at it.

I hope you and your Army beloved can meet more often.  It's just bad luck that the two of you aren't in the same service and can't be posted together.  There have been times in the past when Robyn and I served together in different armed units, but these times the differentiation of the types of warrior are so vastly specific.  I don't envy you, especially with the dangers you seem to be heading for.  Keep your head on a swivel, Sir.  If only the two of you could be together to fight by each others sides instead of separated when the enemy comes out to play.

How did I deal with being separate from Robby / Robyn?  Well, i threw myself into my hobbies, fencing and wood working, building the lightsabers for Dad's class.  I read a lot of books, mostly history and crime dramas.  I try to keep busy, preparing for when we CAN be together.  And a lot of alone time in the shower, too.  *blush*  It isn't easy being his herald as well as his lover.  He likes to think with his mouth and his bravado has gotten us into trouble many many many times.

But I love him.  Even his bad habits and quick temper.  I have waited a long time for him, and I will likely do so again.  I focus on the now.  It's all I can do.

How do you deal with the separation?  Is it difficult not to just rush to his side when you see him after even an hour apart?  Do you worry constantly when you know he's going into danger and you can't be there to have his back?  Your life seems like it would be so exciting, but those separations for you seem to always have bullets between them.  At least with a blade, you often can see the danger coming.  You are much braver than I.

I hope this answers your question.  And I hope that this finds you well and able to share this letter with your beloved.  All I can say is, words are important, so don't waste them.  Say what needs to be said and let your head, hand and heart speak what your soul truly feels.  Please keep me updated.  I love hearing about love triumphing, and lovers succeeding and of fellow soldiers doing what they know to be right.

With warmest regards for a fellow brother in arms.

Kenneth Tannagord / Kay Neth the Steel-Eyed

• 2 months later...

Hello, Lt. Buchinski

I never thought I'd be talking to a Navy SEAL.  So please forgive me for being a little nervous.

Robyn and I have been together a very long time.  If you think about the history of humanity, we've been together since before writing, since before farming, even.  Granted, it's not been a continuous amount of time.  The Changeling Way isn't so much a direct linear thing.  More like a series of jumps connected by separations.  I don't want to bore you with all those gory details, but if you did try to stack together all the times we've actually been together, same place and time, it probably stretches about as long as Egyptian history.  This time around, well...

Robby doesn't know this yet, or at least he hasn't said anything to me about it, BUT, I saw him for the first time when we were in 1st grade.  Different classes and all that.  But I knew there was something about him that drew me in.  Being an Eshu, you always know the right path, even if you don't know why it's the right path or how that path will turn out.  I've learned to just go with it.  So, in a sense, this time around, I've known about him a long time, and been waiting a long time, and... and sometimes that waiting can be a crushing thing.  Which explains some of my actions about him.

Besides, he's kinda cute with those horns poking up over his eyes like that.

I honestly don't know how to respond to your question, though, Lieutenant.  When we get separated, it usually means one or both of us "died" in the mortal world and had to wait for the cosmic lottery to dump us back into mortal bodies, and then awaken our fae souls and then maybe, if we're fantastically lucky, to find each other again.  Sometimes that's just a matter of destiny.  Sometimes, you gotta work at it.

I hope you and your Army beloved can meet more often.  It's just bad luck that the two of you aren't in the same service and can't be posted together.  There have been times in the past when Robyn and I served together in different armed units, but these times the differentiation of the types of warrior are so vastly specific.  I don't envy you, especially with the dangers you seem to be heading for.  Keep your head on a swivel, Sir.  If only the two of you could be together to fight by each others sides instead of separated when the enemy comes out to play.

How did I deal with being separate from Robby / Robyn?  Well, i threw myself into my hobbies, fencing and wood working, building the lightsabers for Dad's class.  I read a lot of books, mostly history and crime dramas.  I try to keep busy, preparing for when we CAN be together.  And a lot of alone time in the shower, too.  *blush*  It isn't easy being his herald as well as his lover.  He likes to think with his mouth and his bravado has gotten us into trouble many many many times.

But I love him.  Even his bad habits and quick temper.  I have waited a long time for him, and I will likely do so again.  I focus on the now.  It's all I can do.

How do you deal with the separation?  Is it difficult not to just rush to his side when you see him after even an hour apart?  Do you worry constantly when you know he's going into danger and you can't be there to have his back?  Your life seems like it would be so exciting, but those separations for you seem to always have bullets between them.  At least with a blade, you often can see the danger coming.  You are much braver than I.

I hope this answers your question.  And I hope that this finds you well and able to share this letter with your beloved.  All I can say is, words are important, so don't waste them.  Say what needs to be said and let your head, hand and heart speak what your soul truly feels.  Please keep me updated.  I love hearing about love triumphing, and lovers succeeding and of fellow soldiers doing what they know to be right.

With warmest regards for a fellow brother in arms.

Kenneth Tannagord / Kay Neth the Steel-Eyed

Kenny,

May I call you Kenny? Sorry it has been so long since I responded. The Civil war here in my world is escalating and things look pretty grim. The Good news is The love of my life is now attached to the same task force I am in. So we get to see each other a little more. I am on an Aircraft Carrier in the Atlantic ocean and he is on a troop carrier so close I can often see his ship but cannot see him. He is the commanding officer of the Army Unit working with us and I am the Commanding officer of the SEAL team so we do get to see each other during breafings and meetings. I almost always make some time to sneak away to my quarters with him and spend a few minutes..........in each others arms. 

How do I deal with seperation and the danger he is in when we are not together. I focus on the fact that he is the best damn Cavalry Officer in the US Army and will always get the mission done and come home to me. I do not think about the things that could happen as they could happen to each of us. We have a job to do and we do it.

Thanks for responding to my question and thank you for listening.

Bucky

To Ken B -

Re Kitchen Knife Incident

Well, since there's been two such incidents....

I think you're talkin' bout when Kenny completely ambushed me into the enchanted world the afternoon before our first sleep over.  That one wasn't really all that scary.  I mean, it happened like soo fast, I didn't have time to be scared.  More like it surprised me, then confused me, then it really freakin confused me when I didn't die and all.  I mean, you've heard about how good he is with anything long, hard and pointy.  Oh, and with things that could injure you with cutting wounds, too!   :wub:  :P 

Cant say I'm happy about the reports I'm getting from your universe.  Bad things happening to good folks everywhere, kids forced into slavery and sexual training centers to make them do unwholesome stuff.  Governments hurting the people they're supposed to protect.  You've got a lot of scary stuff going on over there.  I wish I could lend a hand, but Idunno if my unicorns would be useful for your cavalry boyfriend (I had a problem with a Greek kid and his cavalry once, look up Battle of Chaeronea and Sacred Band of Thebes) and my naval forces aren't exactly what you'd call extensive.  Then again I do have werewolves and all kinda changelings just waiting around for a decent scrap to jump in on.

Wish I could do something, but I do have my own problems here.  Guys all be slinging metal and going on kill sprees in my backyard.  Oh, and a freakin' dragon that wants to make me into a crispy goat meat hor 'derve, or how ever you spell it.  Between that and guys trying to stab me, spear me, take my necklace, bite my hands off up to the elbow and generally just wicked nasty dreams, I wonder how I'm still walking round in one piece.

Keep your head down, Lieutenant.  And keep that army guy of yours all snuggle happy.  GO PATS!

Good luck

Robby French/Robyn the Blue

PS - would it kill ya to post a pic of your army guy, he sounds HAWT!