Rituals

ken barber

Does everyone have crazy morning rituals. And I don't mean the get up have a coffee and a smoke I mean the weird shit we do when we are alone and getting ready for work.

Every Morning after my shower and shave and all that I talk my clothes for the day, lay them out on the bed  and stand in front of a full length manor in my t-shirt and boxers. I picture a night getting ready for battle and grab my freshly pressed starch white shirt doing put it on and fasten each button deliberately. Next I take the cuff links that have been chosen to match the toe perfectly. I connect my cuffs with the links and then the tie. A perfect Windsor knot is the only option with the dimple precisely in the center and the knot center perfectly on the collar. Then the pants still creased perfectly from the dry cleaners. Then the vest with at least 3 buttons. The freshly polished shoes are next then jacket. Finaly like a sword going into a scabbard I slide my weapon of choice an Iphone 5s into the vest pocket. Look one more time and I am off to do battle. "Come home with shield or come home upon it"

Am I crazy

Ken,

No, you are not crazy! Thankfully, I am long past that time - I have been retired since 1997 and give thanks every time I wake in the morning and DO NOT have to go through that "RITUAL"! I began working right out of High School in 1955, until I was forced to retire by being laid low with a heart attack in 1997. It was not long before I understood that I had been a slave to that ritual and, once I was off the treadmill of working, I have not had any further complication with my heart. I consider the attack as a warning to change my life or die. I DID change my lifestyle AND moved to a place I had always loved, the high desert of Arizona. I was indeed fortunate that I had the ability to make that change, not everyone is so fortunate.

My advice, 'GET OFF THE TREADMILL BEFORE YOU BECOME PLANT FOOD FOR THE PRETTY CEMETERY LAWN' !

Charles Bird

SeaBird

• 3 weeks later...

As I am living essentially out of luggage in a hotel for the past few weeks, and it will be December before I am moved and my furniture has caught up to me. I miss my routine.  

But since the word came down that my department was laid off last January (effective this December), we were all given permission to work in jeans.  So nice t-shirts, jeans, running shoes (New Balance) has been my "suit" of choice this year. 

You have to love California.  

I have never been happier than since I retired, except MAYBE when I shipped out on tugboats right after high school in 1955.

As soon as the stress from running my own business left me, I became a different person. Now, I have the time to BE A PERSON and not a slave to others.

Charles Bird

Sea Bird

Mary wears-               running shoes (New Balance)

As a runner these are the best shoes ever!!

Ken, I think whatever prepares you for the day and helps you get through is necessary not crazy. Some think I am crazy for getting up an hour early to workout and read on the computer- usually here or Nifty, depending on which one had new updates of the stories I am following. Although now if there are no new updates I get on the Forum here. Then I shower, eat, pack lunch and hop on my bicycle for a 5 mile ride to work.