Ken Barber: Ask A Character....

ken barber

Well thanks everyone,

I just received a petition signed by every character in my stories demanding that I allow them to answer your questions. So I guess that means I have join this current trend.

Keep in mind I will not allow the character to give any spoilers which they can't anyway because well none of them can see the future.....I think.

So unleash the questions and I will forward them to the right character and then forward their answers to you here. I think after this I might need to get a job as a carrier pigeon.

Admiral Norris has asked me to remind you that any questions dealing with secrets of national security will only be answered after we make sure the NSA  is not monitoring this channel.

Wish me luck

Ken 

Captain Norris,

Your Fleet has nukes, of this there is no question, You also have the codes to use them. I know this as well.

With that in mind I am going to ask you something that I know I would have asked myself.

Now let me start off by saying this would have killed a whole lot of good people, but... Well I am just going to ask and take my licks for doing so: Was there any thought on your part of just targeting where Ashwood was the moment you found out what was going on? Did it even cross your mind you may have been able to get this over with right out of the gate before millions more suffered? I know it seems like a stupid question, but we basically did the same thing in WWII and didn't have to invade which saved God only knows how many lives on both sides all by killing a large group of innocent people and stuff. How many could have been saved by nuking Ashwood before all his orders caused this Starshine thing to fully activate?

You have no idea the looks I am getting form the others in even thinking of this question let alone daring to actually ask it....

Steven Hogland

EEL Science Contest Winner

Mr Hogland,

Thank you for your recent Inquiry. The United States Nuclear Weapons Policy is hard and fast. While under imminent threat of Nuclear attack the United States reserves the right to initiate a first strike posture. The Policy also states we will respond with Nuclear Weapons only if first attacked with Nuclear weapons. At no time where we at risk of Nuclear attack. 

As a Senior Navy Officer my personal views do not come into play I follow the orders of the legitimate President of The United States and if those orders are absent I follow the policies laid out.

However in this case I will answer your Question. No I never considered the use of Nuclear weapons. The use of any Weapons of Mass destruction cannot be considered in a quick reaction manor, the effects are much more devastating than just the initial blasts. The Effects continue for generations. And should I be ordered By the President to use Nuclear weapons against the United States I will resign my commission on the spot. We are fighting a civil war and must consider the long term, we are all brothers no matter how misplaced or wrong those that follow President Ashwood are they are still Americans. 

We must maintain our honor as the United States Military, and in light of recent event caused by wayward members of that military, those of us serving the Country not the Tyrant must hold ourselves to an even higher standard. Know this the United States Carrier Ronald Reagan and Strike group 9 will use every asset at its disposal, except Nuclear Weapons, to bring this coup to a quick and resolute finish.

Thank you and God bless the United States

Augustus Norris

Captain, Commanding 
USS Ronald Reagan

Carrier Strike Group 9

Bucky... I am sorry I really don't understand military formalities or rank I am very sorry if this is not the way I am supposed to address you. I would ask Craig, but I already look weak and whimpy to the others and especially Craig so I am sending this on the sly.

The reason I am sending you this question is I know in my heart my mom will never talk to me again and certainly not let me live in the same house as her again after I not only shot a gun but also went directly against President Ashwood. As a matter of fact I am sure she is going to drop a massive lawsuit because I ended up shooting a gun. But... Anyway... Um... no... I am not sure how to move forward with this so I better just ask (After seeing this I am sure you know what a wuss I aam, so sorry, but I was still kind of hoping for an answer) Well, the question is how do you feel about siding directly against your parent? Do you have any... well I guess I am asking for advice on how I am supposed to move forward ccause I feel lost now but know if did the right thing. (See how screwed up I am??? No wonder everyone sees me as a whimp and an easy target) but maybe if I heard what you are going to do going forward with a parent on the opposite side of this war I can figure out if I... what I... Um... how I... Gee this is harder than I thought because I don't even know anymore.

Better leave it there.

I totally understand if you choose to ignore me. I'm pretty much used to it anyway.

If worse comes I know I can stay with someone who will keep me around for some fun (for him).

Ricky

Ricky,

Thank you very much for writing to me. Being out here surrounded by water can get kind of lonely sometimes and we all love to hear from people back home. First I want to say a couple of things. As far as the last line of your letter, Over my dead body, if someone is going to keep you around to get his jollys I want his name and address and The US Navy SEALS will be paying him a visit. What you did was a very brave thing and that means you are no wuss, In my book you are a true American Hero. You went up against some pretty nasty people without all the training and equipment of a soldier. You have stared into the face of danger and came out swinging. You are no wimp you are a warrior at heart. 

As far as advice for dealing with your mom, I don't mean any disrespect but both of our parents are the cowards, My Dad and Your mom, they went against the very moral fabric of this nation. What you did is the right thing and if your mom can't see that that's her loss. I had my father arrested and he is awaiting a Court Martial now. I have been pushing for that to get done but there are some military  Protocols that need to be followed first. Again no disrespect intended but Children no matter their age should not be used as bartering chips in political maneuvering. After this is all over if your mom disowns then you let me know and I will personally make it my mission to find a happy place for you. You and all the other EEL contest winners deserve that. 

Son after seeing everything you and the others have been through this SEAL would be honored to have you by my side in any fight.

Please continue to write I don't get many letters and would really enjoy them.

Your Friend,

Bucky

Commander Victon,

I really need to know what made you willing to sign on with President Ashwood. You are a navy commander, a life long officer who was supposed to be devoting his life to freedom, world freedom and USA freedom. What offer could have inspired you to toss out those ideals. Was it money? Promotions? Power? Where you picked on as a child and just want to take it out on the whole world? I just need to understand. For even as I write this, most of the kids from my school are dead other than those Craig Bickford managed to grab (at rifle point) and heard us to safety. (You know many of them picked on me, but I sure don't want them dead, and doubly the way your side killed them) Some of the kids in my class didn't even make it and are probably lying dead in the halls of the capitol building. Are you happy to have sided with someone who could do such... Awful is such an understatement... I am not even sure there is a word. So again what gift could be worth being on that side of this developing war?

Lane

5th Grade Honor Student

Austin TX

Lane,

Please accept our apologizes, however Since Commander Victon is currently being held awaiting a trial by Court Martial ,he is only able to receive messages from an approved list of immediate family. 
I would be happy to have someone provide a list of Officers or crew that are able to accept letters and messages if you would prefer.

Thank you

LCDR McCaffey
US Navy JAG

Lane,

I would refer you the Uniform Code of Military Justice and The Manual for Military Courts Martial. Persuent to articles 23 and 37. In regards to personal communication with and from a prisonor: Personal correspondence from a detainee is not considered admissible in the Courts Martial. 

I am sorry if I wasn't clear before and I hope this clears matters up for you. 

Lieutenant Commander McCaffey

Lane,

Please accept my apologies, sometimes lawyers can never stop being lawyers. The reason the Navy doesn't allow you to communicate with prisoners is because they have secrets that spies want to get and since they are a prisoners they are more likely to be willing to tell the Navy's Secrets. We may never know exactly why people like Victon decided to side with Ashwood but we intend to try to find out so it never happens again.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Lieutenant Commander Jessica Myers

Executive Officer,

USS Ronald Reagan

• 2 weeks later...

Lieutenant Commander Myers

Thank you for your kind offer.

I think I have a question that might help me figure out where my own brain is at since there are people dying above me in massive numbers.

so I am going to address this  to the Crew of the USS Reagan,

Since I am down here and you have some people willing to respond to me, I have to ask this. What is the worst part for you in this whole thing?

I would kind of like a couple of answers since it sounds like I could make a few pen pals and I really don't have many friends.

Lane

Lane,

Thank you for Writing for me the worst part is not knowing exactly what is happening in the country. Being out here we are separated from the horrors you guys are experiencing and are viewing them VIA digital images and reports. It hard some of us feel like we should be there in that bunker with you or we should have done something to stop it. Us officers have  to deal with keeping moral up in a time when no one can contact their families and see if there are okay. We have a job to do and are using that to keep our focus but when we are not on duty all we can think about is our families. My younger brother is a naval fighter pilot stationed in California when the earthquake hit. I have not heard anything about him and fear for him. But I know this we have one of the greatest Naval officers ever in command and Captain Norris is determined to put a stop to all of this. The USS Ronald Reagan and Strike Group nine is a powerful team and we will use every asset at our disposal to bring Ashwood to justice. Lane hang in there We are coming and you have a friend here.

Lieutenant Commander Jessica Myers

Executive Office 
USS Ronald Reagan.

PS I have sent your message to a couple of people so expect a few more messages.

Captain Norris,

Your Fleet has nukes, of this there is no question, You also have the codes to use them. I know this as well.

With that in mind I am going to ask you something that I know I would have asked myself.

Now let me start off by saying this would have killed a whole lot of good people, but... Well I am just going to ask and take my licks for doing so: Was there any thought on your part of just targeting where Ashwood was the moment you found out what was going on? Did it even cross your mind you may have been able to get this over with right out of the gate before millions more suffered? I know it seems like a stupid question, but we basically did the same thing in WWII and didn't have to invade which saved God only knows how many lives on both sides all by killing a large group of innocent people and stuff. How many could have been saved by nuking Ashwood before all his orders caused this Starshine thing to fully activate?

You have no idea the looks I am getting form the others in even thinking of this question let alone daring to actually ask it....

Steven Hogland

Lol your right! You probably are getting weird looks- I am definitely one of them. The question boils down to whether one human life is worth another. Its why Hiroshima wasn't justified.

Sam 2,

Thank you for your input. I am thinking there is a place on the venue that a discussion on the justification or not of Hiroshima would be a great topic.

http://castleroland.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/83-politics-galore/

You might want to consider starting that discussion there. But be ready for the fireworks that may follow.

Lane,

Commander Myers sent this to me and asked me if I would be willing to respond. I have thought about it carefully. The Hardest part of all if this for me is knowing you all are in danger and I am pretty safe out here on this Floating city with a bunch of ships around us that have the ability to knock the missiles out of the air that Ashwood is using.  We are the soldiers, we are the ones that are suppose to be taking the risks for guys like you. As a Navy Seal I am trained to react to every situation you guys are finding dropped on your heads. You guys amaze me and are troopers. But that is the hardest part it should be me in that bunker with Saran Gas outside not you. You should be sitting comfortably on this ship while I deal with it.

Keep your head up and we are coming.

Germs,

US Navy SEAL

Medic