Charles Bird (SeaBird)

seabird

I am a widower and am, well lets just say, over 75 years of age. I live in the mountains of southern Arizona, scabbed onto the side of a mountain at 4500 feet elevation. That mountain goes up another 5000 feet and is the southernmost ski facility in North America. I retired many years ago, after a long career as a Professional Engineer. I have also been, in the past, a Licensed Engineer in the American Merchant Marine and an Officer in the United States Navy. I taught Physics at the Junior College level for several years and I remain a Court Appointed Intervention Counselor in cases that frequently involve gay teen boys. I now live a quiet life in a small village that is quite rustic, some would say, "primitive". The power goes out frequently (I have my own generator, just in case) and my only internet connection is a radio device that connects me to the nearest cell tower about 20 miles and 2000 feet away. That is also my only telephone connection, also. I have traveled extensively around the world, both for pleasure and business, but lately, I have confined my travel for pleasure within the confines of the United States. I have a travel trailer and a large 4-wheel drive pickup truck and I frequently may be found camping near a small desert spring in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by desert sand and cactus.

I have been writing for a number of years now, altho my arthritis is making typing a bit complicated now. I would be happy to correspond with anyone who reads my stories, even if they do not like them. I am somewhat of a doomsdayer, I believe our society is headed for a world-wide shakedown that we we may OR may not survive.

Charles Bird

SeaBird

• 2 weeks later...

I spent my high school years in Tucson, scouted on the Lemmon during the summers, and skied there during the winters. This was back in the early 70s, and I can fondly say that I miss the Lemmon...

I've read both of your post-apocolyptic stories, and despite your "somewhat of a doomsdayer  " outlook, the one thing that stood out in BNW and The Boy (hoping 4 is on the way) is HOPE!!

Write on... for you have a new fan in your stable that is hungry and desires to be kept fed!

Dear "Commoner" from Port Orange, Florida,

I am pleased that you are enjoying my stories and, yes, I do write about hope and starting over. I believe we are headed for a crash, we just cannot support the economic and social burdens placed on our people. I see us winding down in all facets of our society and we have grown top-heavy with those who do not participate nor do they contribute to the welfare of our country or our world. They are takers who proudly proclaim, "I got mine, Jack, pull up the ladder!"

You mention Mt. Lemmon, I particularly enjoy the drive up the backside of the mountain, all the way to the top. The road has gotten quite bad and it is pretty much a 4-wheel drive trip the entire distance now. I used to hike it, but age and that Arther guy has gotten to me. The weather has changed significantly since I first visited the area and the caves that are found on the backside that were once full of water are now pretty much dry. Water no longer flows in the river past Mammoth and San Manuel and the artesian wells that once served San Manuel no longer flow. I recently drove down the San Pedro Valley as far as Sierra Vista and found no surface water at all in the stream bed, although it was still late spring. Where I live, we have not had even a drop of rain in the last 18 months and there is no  break in the drought predicted.

This is why I predict a crash, this pattern is repeated all over the South Western United States. Cattlemen are thinning or even abandoning their herds and the lush farming areas along the Lower Colorado River are remaining fallow. What land remains is now raising houses and we import our food from outside the country. It is a gloomy picture.

You should return for a visit, just to see what has become of the land in which you spent your youth.

Charles Bird

SeaBird