Pedophilia

Anjobranco

What does the word pedophile mean?

The spelling is either pedophile (Amer) or paedophile (British). It is someone who sexually interacts with young children. The word is formed from the Greek words for "child" and "lover."

Ped is Latin for "foot" and phile derived from Greek for "lover". Paed is derived from Greek for "child".

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/12/22/is_pedophilia_a_sexual_orientation.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/08/what-can-be-done-about-pedophilia/279024/

http://www.charismanews.com/us/41571-pedophilia-officially-classified-as-sexual-orientation-by-american-psychology-association

http://patdollard.com/2013/07/it-begins-pedophiles-call-for-same-rights-as-homosexuals/

I do not want your opinion on the meaning of the word, but on the subject of Pedophilia.

The spelling is either pedophile (Amer) or paedophile (British). It is someone who sexually interacts with young children. The word is formed from the Greek words for "child" and "lover."

Ped is Latin for "foot" and phile derived from Greek for "lover". Paed is derived from Greek for "child"

I do not want your opinion on the meaning of the word, but on the subject of Pedophilia.

You see, right here you have the major disconnect at the root of the modern useage of the word.  'Phile' has nothing to do with sex, it's about love.  I'm a bibliophile -- I love books.  Doesn't mean I want to take them to bed.  Er...  Um...  ok, euphamisms won't work here, huh?  Have sex with them.

The original meaning of the word 'pedophile' was actually something completely innocuous -- someone who loves children.  Not sexually, but rather for their own sake.  A distinction which drives me insane.

• 5 months later...

The meaning of the word all of it comes from Greece and Greek :P pedo in greek means child "παιδί" and phile as Rilbur said is love but also in its greek word is "friend" "φύλος", so pedophile "παιδόφύλος" could mean a friend of children or someone who loves children like a father loves his children, very innocent and not bad but as it has been established even since antiquity it is the adult person who likes children sexually.

Now as to the matter at hand I can summarize what I think in one word. No. Bad. 

No, no a child 0-17 should not have sex with anyone 18+ their mind is not evolved/grown up enough to know/think what they're getting into and an adult can easily trick them into doing far more than they would want. So no.

Now as to the innocent meaning of the word given by Rilbur go for it. I love children just like a father/ big brother would and can't wait to have a family of my own and see my kids grow and live and be happy and enjoy life in its wholeness.

I am curious about something A.B. put in his post.

That is where to draw a line on what is a child. Why age 18 for one thing, age 16 for another, age 21 for yet another, or for that matter in many places the age at which a child can be legally left alone or can legally watch another child is all over the board. What makes 18 right for deciding sex when the same person can drive at age 16? What make a 13 year old more aware than a 12 year old for PG 13 movies? Why can an 18 year old sign up for war and not have a beer?

What is a child?

At what point is loving a child really loving a person. (Not necessarily sexual, but since this thread is leaning down a sexual tone, sex should be considered here)

Back in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars the armies had drummer boys who saw real combat. Were kids more mature back then then they are now?

Even in WWII we had Seaman Calvin Graham (if you don't know that name you should: Look it up.)

At some point we have to protect children, but have we now gone too far and made it harder for kids to really grow up and take their place in the world? I submit we have, but I don't have a good answer on where a line should be drawn on any of this. What we have now is absurd, though.

I think AB was going by the general legal definition established by the government. But you are right Kyle it is an arbitrarily set age. We do have to start somewhere though. Many ancient societies set the entrance to adulthood around 13 years.

Now to the original question- NO, do not have sex with children; they are not emotionally or mentally ready for it.