June is Pride Month

ken barber

In many nations world wide June is celebrated as LGBTQ+  Pride Month. This is a time for members of the community to stand loud and proud and to show the world we will not be silenced, we will not be oppressed and we will not accept your ignorance and fears of us. We just like the rest of the world are human beings and deserve to not be treated like second class citizens. 

Pride started as a riot in at the Stonewall Inn, in New York City where members of the gay community had enough of systematic oppression and fought back. That was June 28, 1969 and lasted for 6 days according to some accounts. 

Today we celebrate those early activist and every major step we have made along the way to where we are today. We also take this time to remember that we are not done. We have a long way to go and everyone one of us must continue the fight everyday until every member of our community is represented and respected as the human beings they are, regardless of who they love, how they dress, the color of their skin or the gender they identify as. 

Here are a couple of pictures of me as one of the Pride flag bearers in the Pride Flag raising ceremony at Providence Rhode Island City Hall, Friday June 1, 2018.  I am carrying the Rainbow and stars flag, the flag symbolizes that while we are a separate community within our country we are still citizens of the United States. This flag is most often used to represent Gay Veterans, Police officers, Firemen and any others that willingly put their lives on the line everyday for the greater good of our country. As a veteran and an openly gay man I was honored to be asked to carry this flag in this most inspiring ceremony.

I wish you all a Happy and Safe Pride month. Please if you attend Pride celebrations share some pictures here and lets us know the location of the pride event. Lets fill this thread with PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_4022.JPGIMG_4024.JPGIMG_4025.JPG