Chapter numbering

Adam

Am I wrong, or has there been a new policy since the site has been revamped in terms of how chapter numbers are displayed below the summary on the title page of stories on our favourite site ? 

I seem to think that previously this page only listed chapter numbers up to the one currently being published. So that if today's edition carried Chapter 14 of, say Drummer Boy, the page would list numbers 1 through 14. Today, though, it might show 1 through 20. Or 1 through 16, or 1 through 24. There seems no logic in why a particular number in chosen. Most importantly, it forces the reader the remember which chapter on which to click ! Often today I am on the Home Page, decide I wish to continue with, for example Neon, but cannot remember which number was the last one. So I need to click several to find the correct one, frequently getting frustrated finding the blasted "Coming Soon" nonsense.

Please, may we return to the status quo ante labor.

Respectfully. Adam

Adam there is a reason, not saying it's good or bad, but it allows chapters to be prepared to be posted and go live on the due date. You're right that it came about with the update. So the plus point is it makes life easier for the work involved in preparation and posting, the minus point is you have to have chapter buttons there to do this. If you like, it's a system constraint. The only solution found was to put coming soon behind the empty chapters.

We had a lot of ideas that we wanted implemented with the new website. As in all things, there were compromises that had to be made. If we wanted "A" to happen, we had to accept that "B" would also happen. If we didn't want "C", then we would lose having "D".... and so on.

William is correct in that the new format allows me to prep as many chapters as I can, place them into the database with a time restriction as to when they go live. The compromise was that the chapter would show as being there, although the time restriction made it so you couldn't actually read the restricted chapter. Hence the graphic I designed to show that the chapter will soon be there, instead of showing nothing at all but the title and chapters.

Part of the purpose for the new website was to allow me to have more time to do other things, besides "baby-set" the website. Because of some errors that crept in while moving the stories from the old site to the new site, I have been spending a lot of time correcting those errors. Once that is done, I will have time to get to my own stories/writing.

Another purpose was to make entering new authors, new stories, new chapters, easy enough that other people could run the website, should I decide to go on some sort of vacation (death is a vacation, yes?). On the old site, I was a single point of failure (I disliked that idea immensely). Were there others that knew what to do? Yes, but they hadn't actually had to do the work in years. How long would the website be left unattended while others came up to speed?

In the final analysis, I believe we have a better website than we had before. It is more modern. It is much faster in loading content. It allows for much more flexibility than we had. That does not mean it is perfect. The new software does have its drawbacks. I believe the good outweighs the bad, at this point in time.

Al.

Thank you gentlemen for your clear and concise explanations. It helps me overcome the fear I had that I was in error, and it was premature dementia which was playing tricks on me and nothing had actually changed other than my recall.

Al, I hope you take time out for a vacation - though not of thepermanent variety - soon !

Adam