Rainbow Flag

ken barber

I would love to get some opinions on the recent push to change the Rainbow flag. The Flag was created to represent the unity within the LGBTQ community almost 25 years ago. It has been flown proudly at Pride Celebrations across the globe, it has adorned LGBTQ home, It has been flown at rally and marches.

There is a push to add two color stripes to the top of the flag. Black and Brown. This has caused a firestorm of debate withing the community. The two new stripes are meant to represent those left behind in our struggle for equality, namely people of color. Equality for the LGBTQ has come a long way but members of the LGBTQ that are also People of Color, Latino, Asian, Middle easterm, etc still suffer from gross injustices. We have left them behind. 

Gay_flag.svg.pngFlag.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

As much as I understand and respect the idea of inclusion, equality and reject racism, I think that changing the flag is wrong.  I get the feelings of those who believe WE have left our brothers of other colors behind, but WE haven't.  The rainbow flag already represents them, it already includes them.  Keep the symbol, just keep our awareness of all those who aren't white, male, Americans but are also Lesbian, and Gay, and Bisexual, and Trans, and Questioning.  It's already a symbol bigger than those who raise it high, shelter under it, and fight for all of us wearing it.

Keep the flag, keep the fight, and keep the truth.  Let's not make this racist.  Let's make it human.

I have thought on this question all weekend before deciding then I saw the link from D'Artagnon and read the article to see if I needed to revise my stance. My stance is the same the flag does not need black and brown added to represent people of color since none of the colors on the rainbow are there to represent any race. They have not been left out.

I feel that if Black and brown are added then white needs to be added as well if we are going to start representing races. I prefer the flag as is with race not being a part of it. More people need to read the origin of the flag and the meanings attached to the colors.

Jeikor

I suppose, in a way, wanting to add extra colours to the flag to include - who ever, is not unlike adding extra letters to LGBT - to include - who ever. There is a great blog posting about that here LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTQRSTUVWTF?

The one difference being the extra letters are to encompass types of sexuality and not ethnic origins, which is perhaps the whole point being made.

Sometimes - in both cases - you can just go too far. And for what purpose? Because someone came up with the idea?

Have you counted the stars on the European flag? There are 12. The flag was designed in 1955, 

Against the blue sky of the Western world, the stars represent the peoples of Europe in a circle, a symbol of unity. Their number shall be invariably set at twelve, the symbol of completeness and perfection.

— Council of Europe. Paris, 7–9 December 1955

As other nations joined the union there were calls for stars to be added, and flags with 15, then 25 stars have existed. It has never been an officially adopted flag by all member states of the European Union, but it has over time become a strong symbol that represents that union. In much the same way that the present rainbow flag has also become a strong symbol and represents the gay community - That is the gay community in all its diversity and colours.

I have had the chance to speak to many Pride organizers this past weekend and really understand the move to add the two strips. I understand the resistance to it. The flag has been our rally symbol for 23 years. But unfortunately the fight for LGBTQ equality has focused on white gay men and lesbians for the past 23 years. Many LGBTQ people of color, latinos and trans people feel as though the flag does not represent them. They feel as though they have been left behind. 

Last year 17 trans people were brutally beaten to death and the community is not even aware. Trans people are forced too use bathrooms that make them uncomfortable or worse puts them in danger. 

People of color and Latino members of the LGBTQ community are harassed daily by police, the heterosexual world and even our own community on a daily basis. Some of the stories I heard this weekend right here in the liberal stronghold of the US were horrific. They do not see the flag as a rally cry or a symbol that represents them. 

I love the rainbow flag for what it stands for but it's not enough. So yes add the damn stripes and let the rest of community know we do in fact stand behind them. We will watch out for them. We welcome them in the fight for equality. 

Its time to take the fight to the next step and if we need a new or modified symbol to create awareness and to get people talking and motivated to rally together then I say run with it. 

I love you passion for the cause, but i respectully disagree.  I also would point out that the person who designed the current Pride Flag died recently.  Perhaps the flag should be left as is in his memory, and honor.

Also... and I cannot stress this enough... the Pride Flag represents all homosexual people.  I don't see a white stripe on there (Unless the party got really out of hand.) so I don't see a need to make it a racial symbol now.  Address the racial issues? YES!.  Change the flag?  Please don't.  Let us unify without having to shift icons around.

This is what happened a few days ago during Gay Pride in Kiev.

Racism without a doubt a huge issue for society in whatever country you live in, but that is a bigger and different issue than LGBT discrimination and persecution. You have to look a bit further than Philadelphia for what the Gay flag represents.

pride-flag-burning-kiev.jpg