To Serve Man

larkin

Many years ago there was a Twilight Zone teleplay entitled, "To Serve Man"

It was a 30 minute sifi epic about big brained visitors from another world.  They came bearing gifts.  A cure for all diseases, the end of all war and methods to grow more than enough food for all.

They were called the Kanamits and they communicated telepathically.  Carrying a large book, bearing the title, "To Serve Man", the leader addressed the UN and said, "We come in peace."

When the initial fright of aliens among us wore off it gave way to fascination and interest.  People took trips to visit the Kanamits far away planet and many settled there.

Suspicious code breakers studied the book that the Kanamits had brought with them but they were frustrated.  The only thing they had was the title. "To Serve Man"

One of them decided to take a trip the Kanamit's home planet.  Just as he was boarding the alien ship his assistant came running through the crowd yelling.  "Don't go! The book, "To Serve Man, it's a cookbook!"

http://vignette3.wik...=20121120113235

~

This is exactly how I feel about Facebook, Google and Microsoft.  I am not against high tech but this goes way beyond the individual. Today they are collecting information but tomorrow they may be managing our lives to suit a larger entity.  I also know that there is no way to stop it and every day, there are fewer and fewer places to hide from this colossal organism. 

We are unwittingly constructing the Matrix and it will be the death of the individual. 

Edited by larkin

Keep in mind that I am not a computer genius but I have taken the first step.  I had a bug ridden computer and I did a fresh install of windows and from there I did a duel boot install with Windows 7 and Unbuntu(Linux).  When I turn it on, it gives me a choice between the 2 operating systems.  It was easy and it will just take a little getting used to.  No virus and no annual $89 virus protection fee.

You will get used to the dual boot screen. Just a matter of time (I run mostly Suse Linux, but dual boot to 3 other "flavors" of linux).

Don't think that you are completely safe from malicious software. It's out there and some of it does target linux systems. The good news is that there are anti-virus programs for linux. They are updated frequently. The good news, is that they are almost all, free. Like most things in the linux world.

I remember that old Rod Serling episode. "To Serve Man", was sobering and hilarious at the same time.

You will get used to the dual boot screen. Just a matter of time (I run mostly Suse Linux, but dual boot to 3 other "flavors" of linux).

Don't think that you are completely safe from malicious software. It's out there and some of it does target linux systems. The good news is that there are anti-virus programs for linux. They are updated frequently. The good news, is that they are almost all, free. Like most things in the linux world.

I remember that old Rod Serling episode. "To Serve Man", was sobering and hilarious at the same time.

Of course I agree but why stick around windows only to be used and made subject to their prime objective, whatever that is.  Today they are observing our actions and probably informing on us.  It is only a matter of time before they start ordering us around. 

They all do it.  Google, Facebook and the like, but the Windows operating system has taken up residence in our homes and on equipment that we own. 

It is time to use your Windows machine only for games, high powered applications like Photoshop, video editors and watching movies.  Disable or disconnect from the net except when there is no alternative.  This is called an air-gap.  Do not use Wifi at home, use cables. 

Has anyone here returned home to find that their computer has mysteriously turned itself on? 

A second machine installed with Linux need not be so powerful for e-mail, IRC or TOR.  It is very telling that it is the government that threatens people for considering encryption.  This is intimidation and they do this because it works.

You would think that in a country that believes in free enterprise that there would be dozens of companies offering iron clad surveillance proof e-mail but,..where are they?  New innovative systems that rise up will be instantly labeled criminal.  The current move is to unify and coordinate all of a person's devices through the cloud. 

Resist total connection through a smart phone.

Do not upgrade to Windows 10.

Do not associate with Window's 10 personal assistant, Cortana.  She is working for someone else, perhaps, the police?

A common quote today is: "I have nothing to fear. I have done nothing wrong."

“Show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.”
Lavrenti Beria, Stalin’s notorious secret police chief.

About 18 months ago it was discovered that the new "X-Box 1" gaming console was packed with surveillance applications and was requiring an "Always On" protocol or risk cancelation not only of the service but of games already purchased through Microsoft.  The machine's dark room video, asked even the non-gameplaying family members to enter personal information and was preparing to use facial recognition.

The firestorm was so fierce and swift that Microsoft had to disable these application or risk losing considerable market share.  But these intrusive applications are still there, waiting to be re-enabled at a later date. 

Edited by larkin